Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

Hey guys,

any advice? Im having friends around for drinks later - having chicken gougons, pizza and cocktail sauages - other half's idea!! Im fretting at my points Ahhhhh!

Then to make matters worse Im going to a friends for din party 2m eve and drinks - my weeklys wont cover whole thing! Have lost 12 pounds and just feel like Im gona blow it now - any advice? Should I just right off this week completely and get back on track new week - obv eating within reason??

I no with few drinks I wont be able to move from the food!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pluck81

Hey all

I have signed up to weightwatchers for the first time this week. I am doing the at home programme because I am apprehensive about the meetings. I shed 3 stone last year on my own and think I now need that extra push to keep going. I came on here to ask for advice about the programme and I hope you all can be my ww leaders until I build up the confidence to go to a meeting

Thank you all:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

boxoff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

any advice? Im having friends around for drinks later - having chicken gougons, pizza and cocktail sauages - other half's idea!! Im fretting at my points Ahhhhh!

Then to make matters worse Im going to a friends for din party 2m eve and drinks - my weeklys wont cover whole thing! Have lost 12 pounds and just feel like Im gona blow it now - any advice? Should I just right off this week completely and get back on track new week - obv eating within reason??

Hiya, you could really try your best to be within your weekly propoints - no? Failing that, just w/o the night, if you want to push it write off the weekend but DON'T write off the whole week.

kashmir wrote: »
    Hiya, you could really try your best to be within your weekly propoints - no? Failing that, just w/o the night, if you want to push it write off the weekend but DON'T write off the whole week.

Oh god no i wont- ive been very good all week! No rubish and stayed under my points every day so far!

Oh god no i wont- ive been very good all week! No rubish and stayed under my points every day so far!

Well then, you'll be fine..try and stick as much as possible to the chicken tonight, don't even eat one cocktail sausage because you'll eat 10 and have only one slice of pizza. Tomorrow try just eat 0 soup and salad all day so you have your full daily points available for dinner. If it's very high fat food just ask for small portions or avoid sauce etc. Try get a long walk in tomorrow and Sunday. You will find that the fact that you are so aware you'll be fine and won't do too much damage. Enjoy it whatever happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

tartlet wrote: »
    Hope ye don’t think I’m being nosy (just interested!) - What made ye decide to start losing weight?

Me - well, I was at an ideal weight in 2007, and then my father fell ill and passed away 8 months after. Weight crept on slowly, I guess comfort eating while grieving (my theory anyway!), I knew the weight was going on but I think I had decided to ignore it/didn’t want to face up to it at the time…..

Lost 2 stone last year with WW and after a horrible gain over Christmas, back on track again.

Anyways, going on holidays in May, so have a goal for myself to have a stone or more lost by then (Currently 12st 3lb @ 5ft 4 :()

I was started to get a bit chubby around 10 or 11 - and was always an overweight teenager. I joined WW the first time when I was 17 for the summer before 6th year and lost a stone. Left and put it all back on again over my exams. I was about 13st when I joined the 2nd time. It took me about 3 years to get down to a weight I was comfortable with, I never quite hit goal but by the time I was 22 I was hovering between 10st2lbs and 10st12lbs, I never quite hit my 10st goal.
    I managed to stay like that for 3 years until I went travelling in 2009. Managed to put on all the weight and more while I'm away, so rejoined when I came back in october. I found that the old program didnt suit me anymore - it was a lot more difficult to factor in my social life (when I was younger I never really needed to count my alcohol points) and so before christmas I was up and down. Started a fresh with the propoints in january at 13st12.5 lbs and am down to 13st0.5lbs.

My reason for losing weight is the same as most others seem to be - I hate being the fat friend. And i hate only being able to wear certain styles of clothes. I did find though, that even when I got down to a size 10-12 I still felt like I was bigger than everyone else. I think no matter how much weight I lose I will always look in the mirror and see a fat person who has lost some weight, and I will never see myself as a thin person, and think everyone else sees the same. Maybe that will change if I actually get to goal, hopefully I'll find that out!

Well then, you'll be fine..try and stick as much as possible to the chicken tonight, don't even eat one cocktail sausage because you'll eat 10 and have only one slice of pizza. Tomorrow try just eat 0 soup and salad all day so you have your full daily points available for dinner. If it's very high fat food just ask for small portions or avoid sauce etc. Try get a long walk in tomorrow and Sunday. You will find that the fact that you are so aware you'll be fine and won't do too much damage. Enjoy it whatever happens!

Sound advice Kashmir! Good idea about saving all tomorrows points for the dinner and drinks itself, will go for a good og on sat and sunday morn! Have been walking everyday this week so hopefully fingers crossed! Life still has to go on when your losing weight! Hope your weight loss is going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I was overweight since the age of 10. It was piling on steadily but at the time I didn't care. My mum and nanny were always trying to make me lose weight throughout my teenage years which made me hate myself even more and made me pile on even more weight.

As a teenager I was dragged to WW (didn't lose much, wasn't bothered), Weight Motivation Clinic (lost about a stone and then got an injury and lost interest) and to the doctor many times to do tests (thyroid, allergy etc) to see if there was an underlying reason I was fat, there wasn't, I was fat because I ate too much and comfort ate for various reasons.

Why I have got the kick up the bum now? I don't really know. I have always seen myself as disgustingly fat in photo's but used to shrug them off and forget about them. Never thought of myself as morbidly obese when I looked in the mirror.

One day I was googling gastric bands and gastric band hypno-therapy and the prices were just astronomical. And then I just thought to myself, I think I will give WW a go. I have no idea where the motivation, determination and will power has come from, but I love it. Also, major motivation factors would be wanting to buy clothes from normal shops and not Evans and the plus size section of New Look, want to fit into a beautiful wedding dress (when we get married, engaged but no date yet) and once married want to be able to easily conceive and be a yummy mummy. :)

When I get to goal and maintain for a while, my next huge goal is to give up the smokes.

Start weight: 18 stone 3lbs :eek:
    Current weight: 16 stone 1.5lbs

Long way to go, but I know it is going to be seriously worth it!! :D

Sorry for the long post!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Sorry Izzy24!!
    think der dr oetker... u find em in any supermarket with all pizzas... def recommend them der fab:p...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

Thanks guys for all the congrats..I'm still walking round like a flippin cheshire cat since this morning!

Made Lady Lainys muffins earlier aswell (thanks for the receipe by the way) have to say they were scrummy!I made them with raspberries and blackberries so they had just enough of a bitterness for my liking!

I had to bring my younger brother to McDonalds this evening to grab a quick dinner before he went to work and I swear it took everything I had to resist ordering something for myself but I held out and had a lovely dinner when I got home!I have some points left for today and I am seriously contemplating spending them all on creme eggs, why do they have to be sooo high :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Monife wrote: »
    I was overweight since the age of 10. It was piling on steadily but at the time I didn't care. My mum and nanny were always trying to make me lose weight throughout my teenage years which made me hate myself even more and made me pile on even more weight.

As a teenager I was dragged to WW (didn't lose much, wasn't bothered), Weight Motivation Clinic (lost about a stone and then got an injury and lost interest) and to the doctor many times to do tests (thyroid, allergy etc) to see if there was an underlying reason I was fat, there wasn't, I was fat because I ate too much and comfort ate for various reasons.

Why I have got the kick up the bum now? I don't really know. I have always seen myself as disgustingly fat in photo's but used to shrug them off and forget about them. Never thought of myself as morbidly obese when I looked in the mirror.

One day I was googling gastric bands and gastric band hypno-therapy and the prices were just astronomical. And then I just thought to myself, I think I will give WW a go. I have no idea where the motivation, determination and will power has come from, but I love it. Also, major motivation factors would be wanting to buy clothes from normal shops and not Evans and the plus size section of New Look, want to fit into a beautiful wedding dress (when we get married, engaged but no date yet) and once married want to be able to easily conceive and be a yummy mummy. :)

When I get to goal and maintain for a while, my next huge goal is to give up the smokes.

Sorry for the long post!

Been there done that....god i hated motivation clinic...you felt like you were in school waiting to go into the principles office! And god....what a scam...500 euro for 5 months....plus they MAKE you buy all there over supplements and protein bars as part of the programme....so 5 months cost about 1000 euro!

I'm far happier with ww! Hell i've stuck with it for 15 months! thats the longest i've ever stuck at it...this isnt a diet....its a life style!

hmmmm tummy nicely full now :) Quorn Cottage Pie + Some ww dessert recipe yogurts...had 4 of them...for 4pp....Its friday night....i had the points...and sweet tooth was niggling at me! Now i'm stuffed! Dinner and "dessert" for 15pp :D:D:D:D

my story is... have been overweight all my life but i was one of the lucky ones i loved school and i have the best friends in the world... have a brilliant boyfriend who loves me the way i am... my reason for loosing weight is to go back horse riding(my favourite sport)... i went a few months ago and i just couldn do it anymore i was so tired and i felt so sorry for the poor horse who had to carry me and it just made me so upset to think the one thing i loved doing i couldn do anymore... so here i am at weight watchers find the programe great so far... have tried ever diet u could imagine... my goal is to loose 4 stone den im going back horse riding as my reward... so hopefully this summer i wil have it lost and will be back doing the thing i loved with help and support for friend and family and this thread is brilliant for support...:D

sorry for the rant:p...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

izzy24 wrote: »
    my story is... have been overweight all my life but i was one of the lucky ones i loved school and i have the best friends in the world... have a brilliant boyfriend who loves me the way i am... my reason for loosing weight is to go back horse riding(my favourite sport)... i went a few months ago and i just couldn do it anymore i was so tired and i felt so sorry for the poor horse who had to carry me and it just made me so upset to think the one thing i loved doing i couldn do anymore... so here i am at weight watchers find the programe great so far... have tried ever diet u could imagine... my goal is to loose 4 stone den im going back horse riding as my reward... so hopefully this summer i wil have it lost and will be back doing the thing i loved with help and support for friend and family and this thread is brilliant for support...:D

sorry for the rant:p...

thats one of my reasons too! I have empty stables out in the back garden!
    I want a horse in there...but at the moment i'd have to get a freaking shire!
    My aunt breeds the most magnificent connamara ponies....but at the moment i'd flatten the poor things! I miss it so much....i sometimes actually resent my 9 year old nephew! cos he gets to ride the ponies....

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    thats one of my reasons too! I have empty stables out in the back garden!
    I want a horse in there...but at the moment i'd have to get a freaking shire!
    My aunt breeds the most magnificent connamara ponies....but at the moment i'd flatten the poor things! I miss it so much....i sometimes actually resent my 9 year old nephew! cos he gets to ride the ponies....
    oh i totaly no how u feel i get jelous wen my little niece goes horse riding ever saturday she is 10:D... and all that could carry me is a shire too... last time i was on a big cob and it was me that was wrecked wen i got off could barly canter around the field my legs wouldn let me stand up it was a terrible wake up call...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭colliewobbles

I have never been happy with my weight, growing up I wasn't ever the heaviest of people but since my early 20's I seem to have piled on the pounds, I think was during my college years, away from home and eating crap that I gained most of my weight.

I have been back and forth to WW loosing a few pounds and gaining even more over the years and then last summer I just thought cop on to yourself, you need to do something onces and for all, I need to do this. Since going back I've looked at it totally differently, I have tracked and weighed my food and I'm being honest with myself with what i'm eating, after all I'm doing this for me, no one else.

7.5lbs to go to goal...

Just a quick question:

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but are any of you using the PP Pedometer, if so wat do you think of it.

I was given it by a girl who I work with today, she started ww the first week back in Jan and bought it and didnt use it once, it's still in its wrapping. She hasn't been since week one so gave it to me. Yippee for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

I think no matter how much weight I lose I will always look in the mirror and see a fat person who has lost some weight, and I will never see myself as a thin person, and think everyone else sees the same. Maybe that will change if I actually get to goal, hopefully I'll find that out!

I know how you feel. Over the last few weeks I've had people telling me I look great and I've lost so much weight. And last week I was on a night out and for some reason I had this wave of confidence and I was chatting guys up with no bother :D but then I saw the photos from that night out and I cringed at every one of them. I felt I still looked like I did before I started fat legs, fat arms etc. The mirror is the same. And I feel people see me that way as well. I hope like you that when I get to goal that'll change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rustivia

Hey guys,

give him his way.... BUT.... cut some carrot's into battons ( sticks) and do same with celery... you can even do them up the day before just have them in the fridge in cold wayer and serve them on a platter or bowl with some ww garlic mayo...
    do be sure to ave loads of them ready tho cos everyone will mill them! MEN INCLUDED! they're a great filler upper!

best of luck! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rustivia

Pluck81 wrote: »
    Hey all

I have signed up to weightwatchers for the first time this week. I am doing the at home programme because I am apprehensive about the meetings. I shed 3 stone last year on my own and think I now need that extra push to keep going. I came on here to ask for advice about the programme and I hope you all can be my ww leaders until I build up the confidence to go to a meeting

Thank you all:D
    well done on loosing the 3 STONE!! i think i'd like to have you as my leader!!
    keep up the great work!!

best of luck on your new journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sage girl

After weeks of following this thread I've decided to contribute. It's been very supportive for my weight loss journey and adjustment to ProPoints.
    I've just taken a batch of muffins out of the oven! They look very promising!

My tale is that I'm on maintenence having had a very long relationship with ww, first attended when I was in college and around 17 stone, and have been on and off the programme for the past ten years or so. Finally got my gold card last year and it's great but I'm currently in the frame of mind that I have seen running through other posters comments, that even though I am not overweight anymore, in my head I feel fat and am finding it very hard to shake off my 'fat' identity!

Thanks to everyone for the support

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    No, it defo wasn't my 5% because I got that last week :) And it wasn't 10% either because I didn't get the 10% book. It's confusing.

Well done on getting to your 5%! That's very weird,I'd definitely question that further.

• Advertisement

I was started to get a bit chubby around 10 or 11 - and was always an overweight teenager. I joined WW the first time when I was 17 for the summer before 6th year and lost a stone. Left and put it all back on again over my exams. I was about 13st when I joined the 2nd time. It took me about 3 years to get down to a weight I was comfortable with, I never quite hit goal but by the time I was 22 I was hovering between 10st2lbs and 10st12lbs, I never quite hit my 10st goal.
    I managed to stay like that for 3 years until I went travelling in 2009. Managed to put on all the weight and more while I'm away, so rejoined when I came back in october. I found that the old program didnt suit me anymore - it was a lot more difficult to factor in my social life (when I was younger I never really needed to count my alcohol points) and so before christmas I was up and down. Started a fresh with the propoints in january at 13st12.5 lbs and am down to 13st0.5lbs.

My reason for losing weight is the same as most others seem to be - I hate being the fat friend. And i hate only being able to wear certain styles of clothes. I did find though, that even when I got down to a size 10-12 I still felt like I was bigger than everyone else. I think no matter how much weight I lose I will always look in the mirror and see a fat person who has lost some weight, and I will never see myself as a thin person, and think everyone else sees the same. Maybe that will change if I actually get to goal, hopefully I'll find that out!

You are you...hopefully after this a happier healthier you. I'd say you are a great friend and not one of your friends would describe you as "the fat friend". It's actually amazing how much grief we give ourselves. You are doing very very well, keep it up.

Monife wrote: »

Sorry for the long post!

It is so seriously worth it, I am on maintainence and it is so EASY!!!

I first started WW 3 years ago this month when I gave up the smokes. You will not look back believe me Girl.. you are doing amazing well...keep it up.

As I posted before on this I am in my early 40's and rally feel a bit old to be in the major funky stuff from Republic and Topshop but you young ones have all the motivation you need looking at that gear. Imagine - comfortable, healthy and trendy- what more could you ask for. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

hi Kay

thanks a mil for the soup receips, I will be at the hob all day tomorrow:)

hope its going well for everyone

I find teh weekends the most difficult due to the lack of routine

thanks again

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

A little off topic but i though i would share,
    a colleague of mine had said she had been suffering from really bad nose bleeds during the christmas holidays, one evening in work the week before last she had one. It was terrible, an awful lot of blood, we called an ambulance for her (her doc had been advising her to go but I she was terrified cos it can be sign of something more serious). Anyway I bunked off work and went to A and E with her and stayed with her untill her friend arrived(after making her ring her friend - my colleauge didnt want to bother her).
    Forgot all about it really bar enquiring as to how she was - turns out its just something simple. Arrived into work tonight and she had left me the most beautiful card and a bottle of wine. I was really touched.
    Dipping into my weeklies now to drink said bottle of wine!!!!

I have never been happy with my weight, growing up I wasn't ever the heaviest of people but since my early 20's I seem to have piled on the pounds, I think was during my college years, away from home and eating crap that I gained most of my weight.

I have been back and forth to WW loosing a few pounds and gaining even more over the years and then last summer I just thought cop on to yourself, you need to do something onces and for all, I need to do this. Since going back I've looked at it totally differently, I have tracked and weighed my food and I'm being honest with myself with what i'm eating, after all I'm doing this for me, no one else.

7.5lbs to go to goal...

Just a quick question

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but are any of you using the PP Pedometer, if so wat do you think of it.

I was given it by a girl who I work with today, she started ww the first week back in Jan and bought it and didnt use it once, it's still in its wrapping. She hasn't been since week one so gave it to me. Yippee for me.

Good for you, a handy gift.....make good use of it now.

izzy24 wrote: »
    think der dr oetker... u find em in any supermarket with all pizzas... def recommend them der fab:p...

Thanks again, got them this evening, will try sunday I think with baked potato and salad. looking good.

Eabhabear wrote: »
    I know how you feel. Over the last few weeks I've had people telling me I look great and I've lost so much weight. And last week I was on a night out and for some reason I had this wave of confidence and I was chatting guys up with no bother :D but then I saw the photos from that night out and I cringed at every one of them. I felt I still looked like I did before I started fat legs, fat arms etc. The mirror is the same. And I feel people see me that way as well. I hope like you that when I get to goal that'll change!

I bet you that you do look great. Stop beating yourself up. Enjoy even the journey..........and look forward to a bright healthy future.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    A little off topic but i though i would share,
    a colleague of mine had said she had been suffering from really bad nose bleeds during the christmas holidays, one evening in work the week before last she had one. It was terrible, an awful lot of blood, we called an ambulance for her (her doc had been advising her to go but I she was terrified cos it can be sign of something more serious). Anyway I bunked off work and went to A and E with her and stayed with her untill her friend arrived(after making her ring her friend - my colleauge didnt want to bother her).
    Forgot all about it really bar enquiring as to how she was - turns out its just something simple. Arrived into work tonight and she had left me the most beautiful card and a bottle of wine. I was really touched.
    Dipping into my weeklies now to drink said bottle of wine!!!!

Nice story, glad she's well. Enjoy that wine, me doing the same..Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I'm after spending about 2weeks reading all the posts on this thread from the beginning of the year, you are all great for posting... really motivating and encouraging stuff!

I always thought I was a bit fat and vividly remember dieting when I was 12. Was about 2stone overweight by the time I finished secondary school despite (or more likely because of) constantly being on crash diets! Im only 5ft so the extra weight really affected me. I joined WW the week I started college, new start new me! Remember my leader saying dont worry you never have to see that number again, true to her word I never did! I got my gold card 3/4 months later, one of the best things I ever did for myself. That was 7years ago and still at goal.

Gained a few lbs over the past 6mts so trying out the new plan, find it brilliant! I have to say, I used to find it hard to live on 16 old points, where with this plan I am eating so much healthier & seem to be able to eat loads! I've lost 4lbs on the plan so far.

Hoping to try out some of the recipes here over the weekend!

Thanks again for all the tips & well done on all the great losses:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Hey ladies, it's been lovely reading all your stories yesterday and today. Thanks for sharing.
    Over the next few months I look forward to reading about the new slimmer, fabulous you and the difference It is making to your lives.

Has anyone tried doing anything else with your hands at night to keep your mind off food?
    I started knitting last night and just got so engrossed in it, I didn't even notice time passing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement