Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I emailed Met Eireann and was told they never mentioned a Hurricane it was the media, they only thing I was told they issued was a small craft warning. Now I saw somewhere a press statement by them saying we were going to get the remains of hurricane Tomas but cant find it now

Thats because it never existed.

Was the media not only ramping but getting everything completely wrong.
    Anyway, was one of the wettest 24hrs here in the last 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Thank God it was not a serious storm.

btw over in Cumbria in England they are forecast to get upto 5cm of snow above 400 metres.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I guess the Thurs/Fri thread will be opening sometime soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

It was going strong here in North Dublin from about 8 PM last night to 2AM this morning and then it was like someone just flipped a switch and then it was all birds chirping and blue skies.

Hurricane?

My ársé!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

irish1967 wrote: »

Just don't tell the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

irish1967 wrote: »

Met Eireann don't seem to be making anything of this though - just wind and rain. Could we be in for an 'event'?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Su Campu wrote: »
    Well you should mention it then!! :D

I will do that

This was mainly a reaction to the 71 pages of hype ... try to see it in context but i get your point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

"Morning " People! :).... slept through the whole nite so i can just guess it didnt get any "better" .
    Anyone know if there is any snow on the mountain tops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The poor ship TBWUK35 that was reporting 49 kts off the Clare coast yesterday evening is now in Biscay, reporting 48kts and 10m waves at midday today! I'd say the boys have nothing left to give over the side at this stage!

Just south of it, another ship A8S3G is reporting 12m seas and 32kts.

Chart here

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Just wondering if any of the expert posters could explain to me what makes a storm "great". What conditions as in pressure, windspeed.rainfall, Wind direction etc are the ideal make up of a storm with talking about!
    I find all this very interesting and want to learn slot more!
    Cheers everyone for all the very qualified input up til now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

If you lived on this side of the country pal, you might think the opposite. There is an Ireland outside of Dublin you know. ;)
    i am aware :)
    from reading this thread earlier on I had got the impression the east coast was going to be the worst.
    should have listened to met eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

adamski8 wrote: »
    yes. and if you did you would have been sorely disappointed last night to realise that Thomas was not coming to visit our shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

adamski8 wrote: »
    i am aware :)
    from reading this thread earlier on I had got the impression the east coast was going to be the worst.

Sher if you think the advice here is no good then why are you here, Clearing acting the plonk. P*ss off.

oterra wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of the expert posters could explain to me what makes a storm "great". What conditions as in pressure, windspeed.rainfall, Wind direction etc are the ideal make up of a storm with talking about!
    I find all this very interesting and want to learn slot more!
    Cheers everyone for all the very qualified input up til now!

Deep Easterly is your man for that question. :D

But basically for a good windstorm I'd consider it as a low pressure system, about as low as last night's would be fine, but with a more intense core and isobars packed up tightly to give much stronger winds and also it needs to track in a certain way so that we would get exposed to the strongest of those winds in the SW quadrant.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    "Morning " People! :).... slept through the whole nite so i can just guess it didnt get any "better" .
    Anyone know if there is any snow on the mountain tops?
    I believe snow fell in the Glenshane Pass in Derry's Sperrin mountains.

Tragic story from the Midlands this morning, following on from last night's tragedy in Galway which was also weather related.

A Brazilian man has drowned in an accident on the Offaly Westmeath border.

It is understood the man died when the car he was driving went off the road between Rhode and Rochfortbridge, hit a bank and rolled on its roof into the water.

The vehicle was discovered at about 8.30am this morning and his body was later recovered from the River Monagh.

The man had been living in the Midlands region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Is all over, or are we in the eye now ? Is the east coast going to get a battering this afternoon evening ?

View from my house looking due west at 1pm.

A beautiful sunny afternoon after a horrible night.
    134153.jpg

Not wrote: »
    Is all over, or are we in the eye now ? Is the east coast going to get a battering this afternoon evening ?

No not a battering at all but it will be a bit windy/gusty along the east coast from early tomorrow I'd say. Nothing to be concerned about. No gusts higher than about 60kph I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

No not a battering at all but it will be a bit windy/gusty along the east coast from early tomorrow I'd say. Nothing to be concerned about. No gusts higher than about 60kph I'd say.

Thanks, was just wondering was the system still over us or had the whole thing whizzed past us in one night, just used the term battering a bit too casually :o Last nights 'storm' didn't even knock over garden furniture that usually keels over when it get windy, but that may be down to the direction the wind was coming from.

Not wrote: »
    Thanks, was just wondering was the system still over us or had the whole thing whizzed past us in one night, just used the term battering a bit too casually :o Last nights 'storm' didn't even knock over garden furniture that usually keels over when it get windy, but that may be down to the direction the wind was coming from.

Yes, it's over us, we are in the slack 'eye', its tracking down towards the southeast and once it does we'll get the weaker winds coming from the opposite direction.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

If you play around with the animation on that you can get a rough idea of the winds.

• Advertisement

Some intense downpours to spread across Munster over the next 2 hrs. Showers also movinga cross Galway and Mayo.

Some hail can be expected.

134155.png

UPDATE FROM MET EIREANN
    Issued at 08 November 2010 - 12:00
    Weather Advisory
    A depression of central pressure 962hPa will track southeastwards over Ireland today,Monday, 08-11-2010.
    High sea/swell on the west and southwest coast; 6 to 10 metres.
    At the times of high tides there is a slight risk of some local coastal flooding on all coasts due to varying combinations of strong winds, high waves and low pressure.

Valid from: 12:00 Monday 8/11/2010
    Valid to: 12:00 Tuesday 9/11/2010

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

weisses wrote: »
    I will do that

This was mainly a reaction to the 71 pages of hype ... try to see it in context but i get your point ;)

Weather is much worse then yesterday ..... High winds heavy rain (hail) bitterly cold (proves my point the day after) :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Plenty of fairly heavy intense showers passing by here with lots of low hanging cloud, could cause some spot flooding in low lying areas as the day goes by

i have a 15min clip currently uploading from the shower that passed at 1:20pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Very nice in Dublin City now. Wished I'd cycled instead of taking the car. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

John2009 wrote: »
    i have a 15min clip currently uploading from the shower that passed at 1:20pm

Look forward to seeing it ~ my weather station has stopped reporting rain again!!!!!!!!!! Fumes and wished he had bought the Davis started instead and added the rain gauge later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Huge shower awhile ago in Tralee Co kerry another on the way i think sky going black and winds picking up. Gf text me from Cork saying it was raining and she never seen a shower as bad before.

Some photos of the heavy clouds overhead me and whats on the way looking northwest in the last photo,

still uploading the shower from earlier, its over 1gb in size and its takings its time to finish

P1010156.jpg
    P1010157.jpg
    P1010158.jpg
    P1010159.jpg

Jesus some intense shower here now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

John2009 wrote: »
    Some photos of the heavy clouds overhead me and whats on the way looking northwest in the last photo,

still uploading the shower from earlier, its over 1gb in size and its takings its time to finish

I think i recognise the area in those photos:D Might be wrong though

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    I think i recognise the area in those photos:D Might be wrong though

Better take them down then :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement