Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Drove from cavan to athlone at 7:30. Poor driving conditions. Windey, rainey, leaves blowing all over the place. The back garden gate was blown open at the house in athlone and the two wheelie bins blown over. Tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Su Campu wrote: »
    Dunmore East is reporting MEAN wind of 58 kts, gust 69.....that can't be right!!??

It can, I'm between there and Waterford and it's bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Just realsied wind is hitting side of house - normall hits front or ocasionally back - hence why not as loud as i expected

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Dunmore East is reporting MEAN wind of 58 kts, gust 69.....that can't be right!!??

I check the Dunmore station fairly regularly and its not very accurate.

With regards to my own station ( www.waterfordcityweather.com ) reading low, the Airport is closer to the coast so i would imagine the winds would be higher than mine. My station is about 12 foot off the ground but i know if it was on the roof i would get higher readings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Tiree Airport was reporting 48 gusting 64 kts at 10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I'm on the Louth/Meath border outside Ardee. The weather is absolutely horrendous here, wind whirling leaves round and round in circles... real spooky looking :( The rain is lashing down too.

I have to drive the girleen into school in the morning... I have a feeling our roads will be covered in water and debris.

It can, I'm between there and Waterford and it's bad :(

Not that bad though. There must be some high bias applied to it. It reported a highest mean of 64 knots an hour ago....that just isn't accurate.

With regards to my own station ( www.waterfordcityweather.com ) reading low, the Airport is closer to the coast so i would imagine the winds would be higher than mine. My station is about 12 foot off the ground but i know if it was on the roof i would get higher readings.

I'd really consider putting it at 10m/33ft. Makes an enormous difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

Wind seems to have eased off a bit,
    The wind seems higher up in the sky now
    Looking up at the trees, it still a bit gusty

Slight increase in temp to 5.9 Deg
    Pressure has dropped to 975 hPa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Wind totally gone here now for last hour. Starting to dry outside even.

This was not much of a storm.

Mallow Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

here in cork, what bad weather??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 twinkleT

he's landed!! must of been the rosary beads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Getting the worst of the wind now in North Dublin really crazy winds !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Still rattling the front windows here in short spells then all goes relatively quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Mick where's your station? Im very near to airport. Gusts dropped last 10 mins but im fairly exposed with open fields either way. Rough as night i've had in my 5 years here.

Su Campo....is there a Waterford airport reading i can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

twinkleT wrote: »

was his flight very bumpy ? im flying tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

embee wrote: »
    The weather is absolutely horrendous here, wind whirling leaves round and round in circles...

Ya gotta love the Irish sometimes...We surely are a breed of our own

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Good to hear that he's on the ground - never underestimate a pilot :)

Good stuff :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Not that bad though. There must be some high bias applied to it. It reported a highest mean of 64 knots an hour ago....that just isn't accurate.

I'd really consider putting it at 10m/33ft. Makes an enormous difference.

Thanks Su, will investigate the best way for me to do that.

Its gone all calm here now and the rain has stopped for the first time since 6pm,Total 22.35mm, Pressure now stands at 973.6mb

I know how hard it is to land a plane in a storm , I have done it in Flight Simulator!:D

• Advertisement

Mick where's your station? Im very near to airport. Gusts dropped last 10 mins but im fairly exposed with open fields either way. Rough as night i've had in my 5 years here.

Only on Met Eireann's pilot briefing service, or by ringing 051 877000

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

NickDrake wrote: »
    Wind totally gone here now for last hour. Starting to dry outside even.

This was not much of a storm.

Mallow Cork

Bang on NickDrake, I'm in Mallow too,,storm my arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

My station is about 12 foot off the ground but i know if it was on the roof i would get higher readings.

I have mine attached to the TV ariel which is about as high as I can put it and it seems to read fairly ok, although I am down a hole in suburbia so most likely miss out on the higher gusts.

Agree with you there Jerry.Its been a while since we had a night like this. I'm in the Ballybeg area by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Ya gotta love the Irish sometimes...We surely are a breed of our own

What?!

The wind here is crazy loud and I'm trying to sleep :(

Look at the difference between Casement and Dublin Airports, only a few miles apart.

11pm

Dublin - S 23 gust 38 kts
    Casement - S 36 gust 53 kts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

alo1587 wrote: »
    Bang on NickDrake, I'm in Mallow too,,storm my arse!

bah agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twinkleT

Heyes wrote: »
    was his flight very bumpy ? im flying tomorrow..

he is not a great flyer and he said it wasnt too bad...it prop wont be as windy by that stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Look at the difference between Casement and Dublin Airports, only a few miles apart.

11pm

Dublin - S 23 gust 38 kts
    Casement - S 36 gust 53 kts

Ye I know! , it's real boring here! , I'm off to bed intact, any reason to go out to the coast in the morning for pictures?

• Advertisement

I have mine attached to the TV ariel which is about as high as I can put it and it seems to read fairly ok, although I am down a hole in suburbia so most likely miss out on the higher gusts.

The higher the better i guess Deep, just hate the hassle of getting up on that 2 story roof ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement