Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

24hr rainfall totals to 6am (Roches Point synop is not in yet). Look at the difference between Casement and Dublin!

134132.gif

1 Valentia Observatory (Ireland) 31.0 mm
    2 Belmullet (Ireland) 30.0 mm
    3 Mace Head (Ireland) 23.0 mm
    4 Connaught Airport (Ireland) 21.0 mm
    5 Oak Park, Carlow (Ireland) 19.0 mm
    6 Sherkin Island (Ireland) 19.0 mm
    7 Johnstown Castle (Ireland) 18.0 mm
    8 Casement Aerodrome (Ireland) 17.0 mm
    9 Shannon Airport (Ireland) 17.0 mm
    10 Cork Airport (Ireland) 16.0 mm
    11 Mullingar (Ireland) 15.2 mm
    12 Ballyhaise, Cavan (Ireland) 14.3 mm
    13 Gurteen (Ireland) 12.0 mm
    14 Malin Head (Ireland) 7.0 mm
    15 Dublin Airport (Ireland) 4.0 mm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Su Campu wrote: »
    Look at the difference between Casement and Dublin!

Indeed, seemed to be a bit rougher this side of the city last night (no doubt as a result of proximity to the mountains). Max gust at Dublin AP 38kts : Max gust at Casement 53kts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Well my driveway flooded for the first time (installed Jan 2007, super duper drainage added) so that would unscientifically equate to the wettest 24hrs on record for me. I would certainly agree with the >1 inch theory that others have put forward, am on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Grrrrrrr i was hoping we'd get it rough and id see Cork city flooded again :rolleyes:...

Theres still time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Calm, overcast and showery this morning here in West Limerick:)

Barometer indicates 970hPa (remember I did stated at 1550 yesterday that its not a calibrated instrument :() which gives a drop of 33hPa in approx 16 hours.

Nothing like the amount of rain overnight that CH experienced about 30 mins approx west of my location but there were some good heavy showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Damn garden fence was lying on its side this morning. About 6 posts snapped clean in 2!

Extremely calm here this morning (Eglinton, Derry) sun shining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Credit to: NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland.
    Link: http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

Picture at 0241:

5157693900_447fb6cfa9_b.jpg

Picture at 0744:

5157085011_b9fde81fd5_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

Morning all

Dublin City
    Calm, cloudy & cold

Temp 5.1 Deg
    Pressure 964 hPa

The Sun is now starting to break through

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Well, while it was by no means what I'd call a 'storm' down here, that was the most gusty night in Waterford in the last year or two I'd say. Nice morning now though!

Thursday looks like it could be windy too. But going by the main weather models it doesn't look like it will be as windy as last night. You'd have to look at something like the Canadian model to find something a bit more like a 'storm' for us :

2uqljs3.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Calm, Dry Temp 6.7c, RH 91%, Pressure 966.3 falling. Rainfall total yesterday 22.4mm

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Moderate shower currently, light winds: 967.7 hPa

My max gust yesterday 24 kmh. Even quieter than I was expecting, and I was NOT expecting a 'H' !

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

wow 69 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Some terrific hail showers, pressure dropping still 962hpa currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Not bad here in Wicklow atm

Cloudy 5°C
    Feels like: 1°C
    Barometer: 965.6 mb and falling
    Dewpoint: 5°
    Humidity: 95%
    Visibility: Unlimited
    Precip in last hr: NA
    Precip last 24 hrs: 1.7 cm
    Wind: 22 km / hr SSW
    Sunrise: 07:34
    Sunset: 16:40
    UV Index: 0 Low

METARs are now showing the strong winds getting into northern Spain, with mean speeds in Asturias 31 gust 52 kts.

See here (hover or click on airports to see the METARs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

My watch is telling me that it's 954 hPa and dropping (again an uncalibrated instrument, but it's not too far off the mark), currently in Galway at 50m asl
    Thundery showers, heavy Cb, and icy wisps from the top and sides of said Cb clouds. Light winds though, and a lot of standing water on the way up, especially on the dual carraigeways this morning. There'll be some aquaplaning with people that have cheap or worn tyres today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Hailstorm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

What a load of crap that was :mad::mad:

Last Tuesday was ten times worse than that

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

It would be great if one of our experts here could give us their explanations of what happened over the weekend. Did the main force of the storm happen out at sea, or did the worst of it just miss us?

I always find the explanations of why something that was forecast didn't happen just as interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Told ya before nothing would happen :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Vudgie wrote: »
    It would be great if one of our experts here could give us their explanations of what happened over the weekend. Did the main force of the storm happen out at sea, or did the worst of it just miss us?

I always find the explanations of why something that was forecast didn't happen just as interesting.

I don't think it turned out much different from what was forecast. There was a risk of coastal flooding, but thats all it was, a risk, and it didn't happen. The Met Eireann warning only said "a slight risk" of coastal flooding, so it's not like it was certainly going to happen.

Gusts of 100kph were forecast and gusts higher than that were recorded last night, so no problem with the forecast there.

The "main force of the storm" was always going to be out at sea to the west because the centre of the low was tracking down straight over us, the forecast never said any different at any point.

I think the main problem was that for some reason the media hyped this up into something it was never going to be, and several of us mentioned that here on the forum before it happened.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I don't think it turned out much different from what was forecast. There was a risk of coastal flooding, but thats all it was, a risk, and it didn't happen. The Met Eireann warning only said "a slight risk" of coastal flooding, so it's not like it was certainly going to happen.

Gusts of 100kph were forecast and gusts higher than that were recorded last night, so no problem with the forecast there.

The "main force of the storm" was always going to be out at sea to the west because the centre of the low was tracking down straight over us, the forecast never said any different at any point.

I think the main problem was that for some reason the media hyped this up into something it was never going to be, and several of us mentioned that here on the forum before it happened.

I'd have to agree with all of this. If you followed the Met E forecasts, they were forecasting nothing more than gales (which we had). The media really over hyped this one.

There still is a risk of coastal flooding along the east coast as pressure is still dropping here (will result in sea level rising - approx. 1cm for every 1mb), spring tides and as the low pressure moves through, eastely winds/gales will develop later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

I look in this forum every day and most of the times when we get really bad weather down here it's not even mentioned

Vudgie wrote: »

Again, to emphasise what Wolf and Docarch said, your impression that it was a bust forecast was formed by the media, not by anything you read on met.ie or on here. It turned out pretty much as forecast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

And I'm surprised how obstinate many posters were to some of those posts too. Many insisting on believing the media.

Once again to correct some of my own postings, it was an error by RTE that was taken by the media who ran with the error despite all of these media having been contacted by weather board members and the correct forecast issue by RTE, in a timely manner I might add, but it seems the rest of the media deliberately ignored the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I emailed Met Eireann and was told they never mentioned a Hurricane it was the media, they only thing I was told they issued was a small craft warning. Now I saw somewhere a press statement by them saying we were going to get the remains of hurricane Tomas but cant find it now, does anyone have a link to it. I think the made a right cock up in the original statement which the media refused to correct as I sold papers

weisses wrote: »
    I look in this forum every day and most of the times when we get really bad weather down here it's not even mentioned

Well you should mention it then!! :D

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I emailed Met Eireann and was told they never mentioned a Hurricane it was the media, they only thing I was told they issued was a small craft warning. Now I saw somewhere a press statement by them saying we were going to get the remains of hurricane Tomas but cant find it now, does anyone have a link to it. I think the made a right cock up in the original statement which the media refused to correct as I sold papers

RTE said that forecasters had warned about the remnants of Tomas, but RTE were wrong to say that. They then corrected themselves. At no point did Met Eireann themselves ever mention a hurricane and this storm in the same breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I was happy with what was forecasted, it was wasnt far wrong. I think many people that read/listened to the media forecasts were disapointed because that type of forecast is always on the extream side of things.

Always take media reports as over the top!:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement