Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Agree with you there Jerry.Its been a while since we had a night like this. I'm in the Ballybeg area by the way.

Hi Mick, storm winds here have dropped very sudden, maybe it's the eye :)
    Are you sheltered then? Im very exposed, very wide open in fact on all sides and a frost hollow to boot on clear nights! would love to set up a station. Delighted to see yourself and Tramore up and running recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

alo1587 wrote: »
    Bang on NickDrake, I'm in Mallow too,,storm my arse!

Guinness and curry can have that effect. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

to be honest we ment to be entering the worse part now where i am.
    not much of a storm to be honest.
    would call it a normal winters wind here.
    45knots is the most we got thats avarage wind speed. so guesting up to 60 knots i would think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Su Campu wrote: »
    Look at the difference between Casement and Dublin Airports, only a few miles apart.

11pm

Dublin - S 23 gust 38 kts
    Casement - S 36 gust 53 kts

I expect the midnight update to be even higher for Casement if it's similar to Celbridge since there have been a few very strong gusts in the last 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

NickDrake wrote: »
    Wind totally gone here now for last hour. Starting to dry outside even.

This was not much of a storm.

Mallow Cork
    you are in the eye of the storm Nick. Winds will pick up from the SE/E by about 4am and them reach a peak by late morn before dying off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The higher the better i guess Deep, just hate the hassle of getting up on that 2 story roof ;)

Tell me about it Mick. Hate heights myself. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Hi Mick, storm winds here have dropped very sudden, maybe it's the eye :).

It's the trough. Whilst there can be similarities with an eye, as in the eye of a hurricane that is well organised, a trough won't have exactly the same, it will have a centre where the weather can be calm and dry but is not usually as organised or as defined as one associated with a hurricane.

But, ya, the eye, sure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Joe Public wrote: »
    I expect the midnight update to be even higher for Casement if it's similar to Celbridge since there have been a few very strong gusts in the last 20 minutes.

Yeah, there have been some nice ones here alright.

Dublin was down to only 18 kts at 23:30.....that big IKEA building must be sheltering the airport a bit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    you are in the eye of the storm Nick. Winds will pick up from the SE/E by about 4am and them reach a peak by late morn before dying off.

Really? Thanks. Very calm out now. Kind of weird.

Was it not meant to die off though??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Quite windy here actually.

Nothing fierce but a few big blows.

Gusting between 50~55mph i'd say.

Will all be over in a few hours barring some heavy squalls in those big showers coming in behind the cold front.

I reckon more chance of damage in Dublin region during a period of sustained gales from tomorrow evening and overnight.

Gradient tightens quite abit and if successive forecasts build on this could kick some high winds and heavy haily showers onto the Irish east coast, probably some thunderstorms too.

Will be worse than this 'Storm' anyway.

Although interesting to see this storm system move so far south.

Biggest risk of damage from high tide flooding and the convective bursts and then tomorrow evenings high winds for the east and south.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Hi Mick, storm winds here have dropped very sudden, maybe it's the eye :)
    Are you sheltered then? Im very exposed, very wide open in fact on all sides and a frost hollow to boot on clear nights! would love to set up a station. Delighted to see yourself and Tramore up and running recently.

Thanks Jerry, its been a long time ambition of mine to get a station for Waterford and the south east up and running and thankfully i managed to do that about a month ago. I'm not sheltered that much really, maybe a little bit from Northerly winds. My station is the Davis Vantage Vue and its excellent. You should go for it and set up your own. There's a bit of money and work setting it up but worth it. Thanks again:)

Really? Thanks. Very calm out now. Kind of weird.

Was it not meant to die off though??
    same here Nick. Wind and rain dropped together all of a sudden. It was very eerie. The wind and rain was in fact at it's most extreme in the minutes leading up to the trough/eye passing overhead.

Glad it's quiet. Babies asleep. Cannot handle a night of up and down the stairs!!

same here Nick. Wind and rain dropped together all of a sudden. It was very eerie. The wind and rain was in fact at it's most extreme in the minutes leading up to the trough/eye passing overhead.

Glad it's quiet. Babies asleep. Cannot handle a night of up and down the stairs!!

Its eerie but cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

Stopped raining and wind has stopped in Wexford even after getting a little warm :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 a new story

its fairly rough out in wicklow now

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Its eerie but cool.

+1.Are you in the town or the outskirts Nick?

Joe Public wrote: »

MIDNIGHT

Dublin - S 20 gust 33 kts
    Casement - S 30 gust 50 kts

Down to just 4mph mean here now wolf. the calm after the 'storm' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

Dublin city
    Still quite windy here, some gusting
    Temp up slightly to 6.0 Deg
    Pressure still dropping, now at 971 hPa

Winds at midnight

Aberdaron 42 gust 55 kts
    Ronaldsway 40 gust 50 kts

201011080000_e2_55N010W_Wi.gif

Pressure

201011080000_e2_55N010W_Pr.gif

• Advertisement

Down to just 4mph mean here now wolf. the calm after the 'storm' :D
    i wonder is it safe to remove the wooden panels from the windows around the house or is there a chance a freak 4mp gust will bring down the mountain ash around the house? :p

for what it is worth, the west has seen the worst of it now. there will be some beefy showers in the first half of monday but it looks like most of the precip and the strongest winds will be in the eastern half of the country.

alo1587 wrote: »
    +1.Are you in the town or the outskirts Nick?

In town. Wind picking up again now.

How about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Come on school, please flood

12hr rainfall totals to midnight

134115.png

Oak Park and Johnstown Castle had 18mm in the 6 hrs 6pm-midnight, Valentia had 16mm

Su Campu wrote: »
    Winds at midnight

Aberdaron 42 gust 55 kts
    Ronaldsway 40 gust 50 kts

Pressure

201011080000_e2_55N010W_Pr.gif

My reading in Tuam at midnight was 972.5 mb which looks to be spot on when set against readings from Knock and Claremorris. Around 0.2 mb per 20 km north to south roughly.

Synoptic Station analysis at 11pm:

134118.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Alls calm in donegal now,
    It got very stormy for a wee while ,I dont think it was superior to last weekends gusty winds I had here though which lasted for a few days and was particularly very rough at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

by god its wet and windy out there. i must have lied. cause im wet as a fish in the sea now.

bloody shed trying to blow away:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 a new story

ah this storm is a bit of a let down:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Flat calm here in Galway City at the minute, a marked change from earlier this evening.

Eerie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah it didnt last long at all, it was really bad here from about 6:30 to 8pm but it calmed down after that and theres barely a breeze out now. Very much an underwhelming 'storm' compared to what the west Donegal coast gets pretty much every week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement