Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

John2009 wrote: »
    Better take them down then :)

Haha i sound like a stalker or something!:D They are very dark though so it's hard to make out exactly where it is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Better take them down then :)

You haven't gone an caught a Cork DJ in the shadows, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Monsoon rain here in Galway flooding all over the place

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Monsoon rain here in Galway flooding all over the place

:pac::D Bring it on down to Cork!!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

An immense shower just went by with very heavy falls of rain and sleet mixed in

P1010162.jpg

• Advertisement

An immense shower just went by with very heavy falls of rain and sleet mixed in

I can't see any of this cos i'm in work and there are no windows in my office!! Plus i'm on the southside so maybe no rain here?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

leahyl wrote: »
    Plus i'm on the southside so maybe no rain here?:)

Southside too; Yup, not as bad as described, but that's to be expected given the terrain. Anytime I've to get frost pic, it's up the northside I go.

gbee wrote: »
    Southside too; Yup, not as bad as described, but that's to be expected given the terrain. Anytime I've to get frost pic, it's up the northside I go.

Yeah we always have the best of everything on the Northside:D

This is a clip of the shower that passed by at around 1:20pm today, sorry it took so long too upload,

14mins long :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

On average, the windiest part of the country yesterday was Malin Head, on 19.5kts, closely followed by Mace Head, on 19.1 kts. The calmest was Mullingar, on 8.7kts.

Highest gust - Malin Head, 61kts
    Lowest gust - Gurteen, Shannon, 35kts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

This is a clip of the shower that passed by at around 1:20pm today, sorry it took so long too upload,

14mins long :)

Hows it goin John, cool video, i just remebered, if you change the aspect ratio to 16:9 in video mode it uploads as HD 720...
    Well wit the Tz5 anyways... im pretty sure it would be the same wit the Tz3.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Hows it goin John, cool video, i just remebered, if you change the aspect ratio to 16:9 in video mode it uploads as HD 720...
    Well wit the Tz5 anyways... im pretty sure it would be the same wit the Tz3.

Hey Ian, unfortunately on the TZ3 it only goes to 480p, still though the quality aint bad,

just waiting on my refund from Amazon on the damaged TZ7 that i sent back i'm going to upgrade then to the TZ10 which is going for a great price now on Amazon and also Panasonic are doing a cash back offer on some of their digital camera range which includes the Lumix TZ range with €35 cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

just waiting on my refund from Amazon on the damaged TZ7 that i sent back i'm going to upgrade then to the TZ10 which is going for a great price now on Amazon and also Panasonic are doing a cash back offer on some of their digital camera range which includes the Lumix TZ range with €35 cash back.

Ye , i hav my tz5 up for sale at the moment on adverts.
    Wanted to get the tz10, but then i had a look at their FZ range.. and the new FZ100 just caught my eye http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz100/index.html
    Really looking forward to getting some weather videos in FULL HD! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Forecast winds and timings from the 11am TAFs. Nothing special at all.

DUBLIN
    9pm - ENE 18 gust 30kts
    6am - NE 16 gust 27kts
    Moderate showers

SHANNON
    midnight - NE 16 gust 26kts

CORK
    11pm - N17 gust 28kts
    Moderate showers

CONNAUGHT
    Midnight - NE 16 gust 26kts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I have to say that overall, the main models (UKMO/ECMWF/GFS) over the last few days performed very well regarding the tracking and intensity of yesterday's system, so hats off to them!

ECMWF run on the 2nd of November had locked onto this system with the center passing directly over us or beginning to:

ECM1-144.GIF?12

On the 3rd, the models still were showing this potential, but postitioning just a tiny bit off

GFS 12z for forecast from the 3rd:

gfs-2010110312-0-108.png?12

By the 4th, the track was pretty much nailed on, showing the center of the system passing directly over Ireland.

UKMO 12z forecast from the 4th:

UW96-21.GIF?04-12

Model runs on the 6th all agreed that the flabby low in the center of this system would be stuck right over us right now:

ECMWF forecast chart for today from the 6th:

ECM1-48.GIF?12

I think the NWP models should be congratulated for nailing the track and intensity of this system quite earlier on. All the more so because the actually track of this depression was quite unusual in itself. Maybe if the tabloid journalists had looked at these models over the last week they might have cooled down on their 'hurricane on the way' scare mongering.

Picture from the Irish times showing some coastal flooding in Salthill last night due to high tides:

134165.jpg

Exactly what the heads here on Boards predicted would happen, nothing more, nothing less!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

That new low pressure system on Thursday looks a bit more impressive on the 12Z GFS but it's too far north to bring any real stormy conditions to us.

I've circled the area where roughly the highest winds would be. If the centre of the low was further south then those winds would impact the west coast. If it was even further south then the southwest, south and east could see fairly strong winds.

2ish7ag.gif

Still 3 days away so there is time for the models to change the track but it's always more likely to stay further north.

Just thought I'd posted that for anyone still watching this thread and who had heard there was a storm coming on Thursday. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement