Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Would i be right in saying that it will be Tuesday in the East and South East before we see some strong gusts again???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 a new story

ye its just pissin out now in wicklow nuthin special :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 a new story

Would i be right in saying that it will be Tuesday in the East and South East before we see some strong gusts again???
    not sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

Is that it???????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

ah this storm is a bit of a let down:mad:
    claire2010 wrote: »
    Is that it???????

All these "is that it?" reminds me of the Day after tomorrow and other storm movies where people think thats it when infact they are in the eye of the storm and then they get killed. Be warned guys:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

Vain wrote: »
    All these "is that it?" reminds me of the Day after tomorrow and other storm movies where people think thats it when infact they are in the eye of the storm and then they get killed. Be warned guys:pac:

I dont want to die :(

claire2010 wrote: »
    I dont want to die :(

Dont go outside so:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Extremly heavy rain at Dublin Airport now, Hasnt been this heavy all night, I think rain might be the big feature of this "Storm"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Just had a very heavy downpour now in Templeogue. I would say the Dodder is under quite a bit of strain if this lasts till 6am. Anyone know if river levels are available anywhere online? Cant seem to find any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Was down in Clontarf waves going over the walls some serious conditions down there. Free Car washes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

so have ye feckers in the wesht.. had enought of this "storm"(puts hand too mouth to giggle) ,is it our turn in the east ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ordinaryjoe

As i said earlier a normal bit a of wind was all it was..its quiet as mouse in the city center now bit of rain is all...all the mad hype over nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

NickDrake wrote: »
    In town. Wind picking up again now.

How about yourself?

Yep right in the town,calm now again:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Liffey's level looks high already on these webcams

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

calm seems to be over in Tralee loudest gust so far and raining again now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

If the dodder bursts I might have no school later today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The government have just announced their contingency plans for those devastated by the storm potential on Thursday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEAiCKlRTSs&feature=player_embedded#!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

stopped raining here now and my weather station has a reading of 61.2mm for the day. anyone else have a figure this high?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Trevor451 wrote: »
    If the dodder bursts I might have no school later today :)

I hope you've done all your homework.;) I've just looked outside and it doesn't look much higher than it did this afternoon. And the rain has stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Storm seems to be over now :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

stopped raining here now and my weather station has a reading of 61.2mm for the day. anyone else have a figure this high?
    Seems a bit high :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Storm seems to be over now :mad:
    there was no "STORM" to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

No flooding in Ringsend D4. Peak rain rates were probably about 4-6mm/hr.
    Prety tame stuff. Winds not much above a light breeze.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I was amazed at how quickly the wind abated. It was about 11 last night and one minute it was raining hard with a strong wind, the next no rain, no wind just calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

In Castletroy, Limerick, it's currently 964 hPa and falling slowly according to the Casio triple sensor watch, recent rain, slack winds, very overcast with scudding low clouds.
    Will be driving to Galway now, the radar shows a few really heavy shower bands on the way through. It'll be fun waiting in line at the roadworks in Gort, and there are a few other spots that I'm expecting to have standing water on the road or the start of the winter flooding at a few turloughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

delw wrote: »
    there was no "STORM" to begin with.

This event would have passed off without too much notice except for the media attention it received earlier this week. In my own mind storms are where tens of thousand of homes are without power, airports closed, many trees down etc etc, which happen in 120kph + gusts across the country even inland. It's been years literally since that has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This event would have passed off without too much notice except for the media attention it received earlier this week. In my own mind storms are where tens of thousand of homes are without power, airports closed, many trees down etc etc, which happen in 120kph + gusts across the country even inland. It's been years literally since that has happened.

Totally agree.

I think theres more and more media hype about any event for the past few years and a lot of these events not justifying the amount of media hype (thankfully).
    Again, the issues here were/are more with the high tides/potential flooding than the wind itself. Also the media got the reporting on this totally wrong when some mentioned "hurricane" thomas (I think) when they were totally incorrect to make that link.
    It has been a long long time since we've had a real storm. I've lived in cities for the past 10/12 years and we do get a lot more shelter here, as well as not being able to see the sea from any of my city accomodation.
    Growing up on an Island on the West Coast however we seemed to get a very significant storm every 2-3 years. Perhaps it was just my perception though, being more exposed to the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

In Lahinch the pressure is 964 falling at 1.1mb/h. Does this really mean anything?
    Also, the heaviest rain of all that I saw was at about 5/5:30 this morning. Its been dry since, but a shower has just started up behind me as I post. And I was looking forward to getting out to the car dry :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

In Lahinch the pressure is 964 falling at 1.1mb/h. Does this really mean anything?
    Also, the heaviest rain of all that I saw was at about 5/5:30 this morning. Its been dry since, but a shower has just started up behind me as I post. And I was looking forward to getting out to the car dry :mad:

A showery trough is bringing some thunder to the west coast this morning.

LOC_20101108_0600.png

sf_na_1d.gif?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

oi, wheres the stormy weather we were supposed to have for today?? huh?? grrrrrrr:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement