Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Football NCAA 2010 Season rankings, games/play action, calls, players, rants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

hmm just reading up on this kid. Only #12 ranked QB according to scouts.com

He has only won 5 out of 28 highschool games as the QB. Doesn't sound to me like he backs up the hype.

Forget winning the Heisman as a Freshman, he sounds prime redshirt material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Well Driskel is a hell of a long way further down the line. Sills is what, still 13 or 14? Driskel is nearly 19 and has already been named MVP of the Elite 11 which went a long way to convincing Florida he was their guy.

D3PO wrote: »
    hmm just reading up on this kid. Only #12 ranked QB according to scouts.com

He has only won 5 out of 28 highschool games as the QB. Doesn't sound to me like he backs up the hype.

Forget winning the Heisman as a Freshman, he sounds prime redshirt material.

#1 ranked QB according to Rivals and ESPN. He only has 5 wins because his high school suck pretty much. I trust Florida and Urban Meyer know what they're getting ;)

Archimedes wrote: »
    Well Driskel is a hell of a long way further down the line. Sills is what, still 13 or 14? Driskel is nearly 19 and has already been named MVP of the Elite 11 which went a long way to convincing Florida he was their guy.

True Sills is still only 14. Still seems to be Driskel is being hyped a bit. MVP of the Elite 11 is good but isnt enough to convince me. I mean if you take 1 game in and let it convince you then you have had it. Last years Senior Bowl for example then Dan LeFevour should be tearing it up in the NFL this year ....

Any elite QB that only wins 5 of 28 games in Highschool has to have a lot of question marks if you ask me.

#1 ranked QB according to Rivals and ESPN. He only has 5 wins because his high school suck pretty much. I trust Florida and Urban Meyer know what they're getting ;)

You must be a Gator fan :p:p Even if your HS team sucks an elite QB should be able to win games on his own :cool::cool:

• Advertisement

Justin Blackmon having a ridiculous game for Oklahoma St.

Have never seen a sophomore with such good hands. He doesn't drop anything.

This Michigan - Illinois game is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

3rd OT in the Michigan/Illinois game 59-59 :D

This is why College OT is so much better than the NFL first team to score dribble. Got to love the fact in 3rd OT you have to go for 2pt conversion if you score.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Johnny_Trotter

This Michigan - Illinois game is ridiculous

What a great game! It's fantastic that they have to attack to win.

Would love to be one of the 110,000 in Ann Arbor watching that game unfold, especially with the finish as it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,797 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LSU rising after a huge win over 'bama. A lot of players rising on draft boards too after an incredible defensive performance. Great, great game. Delighted for Les Miles, he is one of the head coaches I really like. He is not afraid to say what he has to say and has the balls to try big plays at anytime if he feels its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,797 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If I was a bad team in the NFL with a QB problem and I knew that Andrew Luck was definitely entering the draft this year I'd purposely mess the team up and make sure I had that no.1 pick. Guy just looks ready made to be a star in the NFL. Can't help but think that having a former NFL QB and a good one at that as your head coach has been a huge help in his development.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If I was a bad team in the NFL with a QB problem and I knew that Andrew Luck was definitely entering the draft this year I'd purposely mess the team up and make sure I had that no.1 pick. Guy just looks ready made to be a star in the NFL. Can't help but think that having a former NFL QB and a good one at that as your head coach has been a huge help in his development.

He's so far ahead of the others in his class. And that's saying something considering that class has Mallet, Locker, Ponder etc. If the Bills have overall first pick, picking anyone other than Luck would be one of the worst decisions in recent years.

Speaking of terrible decisions, how much must Jake Locker be regretting not declaring last year.

Well done to Kansas by the way. Down by 28 with 11 minutes left in the 4th quarter, they went on to score 35 unanswered points and win the game :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Quick question about college football - seeing as I haven't been able to watch any since I was at college myself and we had Setanta and this is pretty much my first season following NFL fully - but how do many of the QB talents do when they come through? Like I remember watching a guy called Ryan Perriolux (can't remember who for - think it was USC - if that's even a college) who looked the tits but have never heard of him since.

Also, who is most likely to be the first round picks for next season or is it too early to tell?

Quick question about college football - seeing as I haven't been able to watch any since I was at college myself and we had Setanta and this is pretty much my first season following NFL fully - but how do many of the QB talents do when they come through? Like I remember watching a guy called Ryan Perriolux (can't remember who for - think it was USC - if that's even a college) who looked the tits but have never heard of him since.

Also, who is most likely to be the first round picks for next season or is it too early to tell?

Some make it some don't. In College there is guys who look amazing but when they try to adapt to pro style offenses they fail. The there are others i.e Ryan Leaf types and JeMarcus Russell types who had awesome college careers and then their attitude let them down in the pros and they sucked.

As for Ryan Perriolux dude had potential but was always in trouble. Freshman and Sophmore years with LSU and then he was booted from the team in 2008 and ended up with Jacksonville state. Had he not been such a clown he could have had a solid career. Now plays in the UFL as far as I know.

QBs are hit and miss when it comes to the transition from College to Pro. Peyton Manning 1st round and instant starter to Tom Brady 6th round pick and under the radar in college and got his start in New England due to injury to another starting QB. Both are considered Elite QB as you know. Its really hard to say these days who will make it and who wont. So many let downs and surprises over the last decade.

Some make it some don't. In College there is guys who look amazing but when they try to adapt to pro style offenses they fail. The there are others i.e Ryan Leaf types and JeMarcus Russell types who had awesome college careers and then their attitude let them down in the pros and they sucked.

As for Ryan Perriolux dude had potential but was always in trouble. Freshman and Sophmore years with LSU and then he was booted from the team in 2008 and ended up with Jacksonville state. Had he not been such a clown he could have had a solid career. Now plays in the UFL as far as I know.

QBs are hit and miss when it comes to the transition from College to Pro. Peyton Manning 1st round and instant starter to Tom Brady 6th round pick and under the radar in college and got his start in New England due to injury to another starting QB. Both are considered Elite QB as you know. Its really hard to say these days who will make it and who wont. So many let downs and surprises over the last decade.

Cheers mate. Yeah spent a while going through the Heisman winners recently and there's as many top players as duds by the looks of it. Just trying to get a grasp on everything and in fairness the fantasy NFL has helped in terms of names and teams because I used to watch the odd game here and there (mainly the Patriots and Brady) but haven't got into it as much as this year.

And we'll say when the draft comes around, what happens if say Cam Newton is picked first by the Bills and he doesn't want to play for them - or he demands a ridiculous amount from them?

And we'll say when the draft comes around, what happens if say Cam Newton is picked first by the Bills and he doesn't want to play for them - or he demands a ridiculous amount from them?

Well Newton hasn't even decided if he'll enter the draft yet or not. He can stay in college for another year if wants, although Im sure he'll look at the likes of Jake Locker who's stock was huge last year, and decided to stay on for another year. He's had a poor season so far, and his stock has fallen dramatically and has potentially cost himself millions in losing what would have been a top 2 or 3 pick. Having said that, there are a lot of better of QBs in the draft for a pro style offence (Luck, Mallet, Locker, Ponder and maybe even Foles) and it's very likely that Newton will enter as a running back (which many said Tebow should do).

If he doesn't agree a deal with the team that drafted him, I could be wrong, but I think that team gets a compensatory pick for the following year and that player has to sit out the whole season.

If he doesn't agree a deal with the team that drafted him, I could be wrong, but I think that team gets a compensatory pick for the following year and that player has to sit out the whole season.

correct. or they can of course trade him before the trade deadlline if they cant agree terms.

I think Newton going for the draft next year would be a bad decision personally. Yes you could end up in a Jake Locker type situation but theres 2 real things for him to look at in terms of applying for the draft.

1. No CBA yet. Its unlikely but a lockout is still a possibility
    2. Probably the best QB class in terms of Pro style passers in a good while, that doesnt mean they will be a success but if Cam went into the draft as a QB and not a RB he could have quite poor draft prospects.

as for overall draft prospects in work right now but UnitedIrishman if you want a quick view on em check out Mel Kiepers big board on espn.com will float some of the better named prospects for ya (althought i never fully agree with him)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Probably the best QB class in terms of Pro style passers in a good while, that doesnt mean they will be a success but if Cam went into the draft as a QB and not a RB he could have quite poor draft prospects

Just wondering but apart from Luck and Mallet who else is head and shoulders above Newton? Jake Locker has had a terrible season and for a team to draft him high they are placing a lot of faith in him. Nick Foles has been good but hasnt shown much to say that he is an early pick, same goes for numerous QBs.

Keelen Moore looks great but will he come out this year? Andy Dalton could be a decent pro and Terelle Pryor will go pretty high but I cant see why he would be chosen over the likes of Newton.

Apart from those players noone has really jumped out as me as a potential superstar. Newton though has only one year starting and with the investigation and now allegations of academic cheating at Florida his inexperience will probably cost him a high draft.

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    Just wondering but apart from Luck and Mallet who else is head and shoulders above Newton? Jake Locker has had a terrible season and for a team to draft him high they are placing a lot of faith in him. Nick Foles has been good but hasnt shown much to say that he is an early pick, same goes for numerous QBs.

Keelen Moore looks great but will he come out this year? Andy Dalton could be a decent pro and Terelle Pryor will go pretty high but I cant see why he would be chosen over the likes of Newton.

Apart from those players noone has really jumped out as me as a potential superstar. Newton though has only one year starting and with the investigation and now allegations of academic cheating at Florida his inexperience will probably cost him a high draft.

Id be surprised if Kellen Moore is drafted. He cant make throws downfield or outside the hashes with any velocity. He would be a liability at the next level. And I hate saying that becasue hes such a class college QB.

Next time you watch Boise pay attention to the outside throws from the pocket. You will see what I mean.

I think Luck, Locker (despite this season), Ponder & Mallett would all go above Newton. You would think Newton would be in the next tranch of QB prospects.

Even if he was the #5 QB off the board, you have to look at who wants to draft a QB high in the draft ?

NFC East ? Washington perhaps but given they invested in McNaab last off season I cant see it

NFC North ? Vikings maybe but I suspect they will just go back to Jackson if Farve finally retiers so I dont think so.

NFC South ? Carolina would be the only one but they spend a second round on Clausen last year so I doubt they will go back for another QB

NFC West ? Seattle, Arizona & San Fran all possibilities. Lets assume they all draft a QB with their first pick

AFC East ? Buffalo should take one. So thats 4 QB's

AFC North ? Dont see any of them taking a QB.

AFC South ? Likewise

AFC West ? Oakland maybe but Id say thats a stretch.

Newton could genuinely find it Rd3 or later if he declares depending on the combine etc.

I think hanging on another year makes more sence, but then again it wouldnt be the first time I called somebodies draft prospects wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I think Luck, Locker (despite this season), Ponder & Mallett would all go above Newton. You would think Newton would be in the next tranch of QB prospects

I think hanging on another year makes more sence, but then again it wouldnt be the first time I called somebodies draft prospects wrong :)

I think that with the NCAA investigation and the latest raft f rumours about him that he will have little option but to go into the pros. His lack of experience is sure to count against him(one year starting) but I can only see Luck and Mallett as better qbs as things stand.

Locker is playing on a bad team but he has looked terrible in the games I've seen of him this season but teams might still look at last years tapes and say that he is woth a shot. Beyond the top two (and possibly Locker if teams look at his full file) there is a drop off in talent that Newton could fill. I'm with you that he is a tier 2 QB as things stand but there just isnt anyone other than Luck that you look at and say "he's ready for the NFL"

as for overall draft prospects in work right now but UnitedIrishman if you want a quick view on em check out Mel Kiepers big board on espn.com will float some of the better named prospects for ya (althought i never fully agree with him)

Cheer for that, will have a look.

frostie500 wrote: »
    I think that with the NCAA investigation and the latest raft f rumours about him that he will have little option but to go into the pros. His lack of experience is sure to count against him(one year starting) but I can only see Luck and Mallett as better qbs as things stand.

Locker is playing on a bad team but he has looked terrible in the games I've seen of him this season but teams might still look at last years tapes and say that he is woth a shot. Beyond the top two (and possibly Locker if teams look at his full file) there is a drop off in talent that Newton could fill. I'm with you that he is a tier 2 QB as things stand but there just isnt anyone other than Luck that you look at and say "he's ready for the NFL"

totally agree.

RE Locker hes in a terrible team hard to lay all the blame on him. He has no offensive line and the Washington running game is crappy. I think teams will see past his performances this year and once he has a good combine he will still have a first round draft stock IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What does going in to the draft as a RB change to his prospects? Would he be expected to purely take up a running back club at the team he's drafted to?

Or is it simply suggesting that he wants to be picked, whether you want to use me as a RB or a QB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

IMO hard work and accuracy are the two most important attributes for a QB to have in the NFL. The rest is important, but that's number 1. Look at how Sam Bradford has stepped in at St. Louis.

A lot of college QB's become stars with a big running game. this is supplementary, even irrelevant in the NFL, unless your Vick (and even then he runs only when he has to).

But you have to dedicate yourself to being great even after you've $20+ million in the bank. And you'd be surprised how some feel the hard work has paid off when this happens, when really it's only begun.

As for accuracy... this never fails to astound me:

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    What does going in to the draft as a RB change to his prospects? Would he be expected to purely take up a running back club at the team he's drafted to?

Or is it simply suggesting that he wants to be picked, whether you want to use me as a RB or a QB?

Not sure never considered what RB's are out there to be drafted. Hes probably more likely to see the field sooner as a RB for sure.

If you declare as a RB though your saying take me as an RB who can play as wildcat QB moreso than take me and I can play QB or RB for you.

That said lots of scenarios if he wants to go in as a QB id suggest he returns next year pending any possible NCAA sanctions. If the NCAA come down on him re the current accusations he may have no choice but declare for the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

And we'll say when the draft comes around, what happens if say Cam Newton is picked first by the Bills and he doesn't want to play for them

This actually happened with Eli Manning and with John Elway.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    I hard work and accuracy are the two most important attributes for a QB to have in the NFL. The rest is important, but that's number 1.

I totally disagree with this. Theres no 2 attributes that tick the box to be an NFL QB especially the 2 mentioned.

If that was the case Graham Harrell would have been a top draft pick with a career completion % of over 70% guess what he went undrafted !

Advertisement