Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Football NCAA 2010 Season rankings, games/play action, calls, players, rants

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

D3PO wrote: »
    Theres no 2 attributes that tick the box to be an NFL QB especially the 2 mentioned.

In fairness, statistically there has got to 2 attributes that are more likely to offer you success in the NFL, whatever that may be. I'm not wrong saying having certain strengths offers you a better chance.

Of course there are outliers, as with anything. Your sole example proves that, but if you look at the succesful QB's, they ALL have these two attributes. Of course there are more required, but IMO, these two are vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

davyjose wrote: »
    In fairness, statistically there has got to 2 attributes that are more likely to offer you success in the NFL, whatever that may be. I'm not wrong saying having certain strengths offers you a better chance.

Of course there are outliers, as with anything. Your sole example proves that, but if you look at the succesful QB's, they ALL have these two attributes. Of course there are more required, but IMO, these two are vital.

true but you need to add in height, arm strength, vision, intelligence, work ethic etc all into the equation.

you have to have all of these.

No deep ball - you will be undrafted
    no height - you will be undrafted

etc etc etc

true but you need to add in height, arm strength, vision, intelligence, work ethic etc all into the equation.

you have to have all of these.

No deep ball - you will be undrafted
    no height - you will be undrafted

etc etc etc

Thats true, but I still think being able to put the ball exactly where it needs to be is critical. Work ethic and "Hard work" are essentially the same think too.

As for height -- Drew Brees is not tall, but he's about the most accurate passer you could imagine, and he's a Super Bowl winner. I definitely think he's a better player than a guy who's 6-5 and can't make certain throws.

Thats true, but I still think being able to put the ball exactly where it needs to be is critical. Work ethic and "Hard work" are essentially the same think too.

As for height -- Drew Brees is not tall, but he's about the most accurate passer you could imagine, and he's a Super Bowl winner. I definitely think he's a better player than a guy who's 6-5 and can't make certain throws.

im not saying whats right or not im just saying how QB's are generally evaluated that doesnt make it right. NFL scouts dont have a monopoly on getting it spot on Kurt Warner undrafted Tom Brady 6th round and so on

Fattie Russell, Ryan Leaf, Alex Smith first picks etc

there are always exceptions to the rule but you cant say accurancy and hard work / work ethic for a QB = being a high draft pick it doesnt work like that

Ah, see I never stated these were needed to get drafted high - I said these are the most important attributes to have in the NFL, to succeed. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

The point I was making was that a lot of successful college QB's just don't have the arm to make it in the NFL. Some Heisman winners go undrafted, and some 1st picks fail miserably.

The QB's who seem to make it, usually have accuracy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I totally disagree with this. Theres no 2 attributes that tick the box to be an NFL QB especially the 2 mentioned.

If that was the case Graham Harrell would have been a top draft pick with a career completion % of over 70% guess what he went undrafted !

Harrell should be in the NFL right now. I would love to see him get a chance to show what he can do. He comes from a Football Family his Dad a High School Coach in Ennis Texas and 4 time state champs. His bro is a QB at Abilene Chritian I think. Harrell was said to be a very smart QB who has it all. But for me what went against him was the fact Tech threw so much stats apparently blurred out his abilities as did the fact he had probably one of the best Receiving corps in college football.

Im hoping the Packers hang on to him and let him learn under Rodgers and he gets some snaps in the 2011 pre-season.

Harrell should be in the NFL right now. I would love to see him get a chance to show what he can do. He comes from a Football Family his Dad a High School Coach in Ennis Texas and 4 time state champs. His bro is a QB at Abilene Chritian I think. Harrell was said to be a very smart QB who has it all. But for me what went against him was the fact Tech threw so much stats apparently blurred out his abilities as did the fact he had probably one of the best Receiving corps in college football.

Im hoping the Packers hang on to him and let him learn under Rodgers and he gets some snaps in the 2011 pre-season.

totally agree I think he has the skills to be a very good QB in the NFL. The fact he didnt even make it in the CFL or at Oakland has to be worrying though for his prospects. That said he couldnt be at a better team than the Packers albeit their practice squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

totally agree I think he has the skills to be a very good QB in the NFL. The fact he didnt even make it in the CFL or at Oakland has to be worrying though for his prospects. That said he couldnt be at a better team than the Packers albeit their practice squad

Oakland he never worked with. He worked out with the Browns and then up in Canada but he stated his main goal was to get into the NFL. He was signed as the 3rd QB at Saskatchewan Roughriders and was injured in his first year of a 2 year contract but he has been quoted as saying he will continue to try make the NFL, Id say the main reason he was released by the roughriders. To be honest with you I am glad he is hell bent on making the NFL. Id say the drive in him is why the Packers signed him. If he can get through this season and Camp next summer with the Pack I can see him replacing Flynn as the number 2.

Oakland he never worked with. He worked out with the Browns and then up in Canada but he stated his main goal was to get into the NFL. He was signed as the 3rd QB at Saskatchewan Roughriders and was injured in his first year of a 2 year contract but he has been quoted as saying he will continue to try make the NFL, Id say the main reason he was released by the roughriders. To be honest with you I am glad he is hell bent on making the NFL. Id say the drive in him is why the Packers signed him. If he can get through this season and Camp next summer with the Pack I can see him replacing Flynn as the number 2.

He may not have officially signed with Oakland but he did go there to work out with the team and they decided against extending an offer ;)

anyway no point in getting into the nitty gritty. I think he could and should be the pack #2 but next camp will tell us alot.

The fact they dropped him and resigned him to the practice squad the following day shows they were suitably impressed with him so lets see what the crucial next 2 years have for him

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I loved watching Harrell for the Red Raiders, he was just fantastic to watch. I'd love to see him make it, he has an exceptional arm. I remember he struggled badly with some of the position drills in the combine though and that cost him big time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Looks like Cam Newton is in a spot of bother. The accusations are becoming more concrete now with folks coming out of the woodwork claiming that his father directly telling them they wanted money to go to wherever he would end up. Cam's response and his father's responses have since pretty much confirmed them, going down the whole "No comment" route. Auburn will get their ass handed to them on a plate with some very severe sanctions because of this. Also, not a chance Newton will get the Heisman now. Probably wont have come to a conclusion by the time the votes are cast, but the voters will be told not to vote for him. No way in hell.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Looks like Cam Newton is in a spot of bother. The accusations are becoming more concrete now with folks coming out of the woodwork claiming that his father directly telling them they wanted money to go to wherever he would end up. Cam's response and his father's responses have since pretty much confirmed them, going down the whole "No comment" route. Auburn will get their ass handed to them on a plate with some very severe sanctions because of this. Also, not a chance Newton will get the Heisman now. Probably wont have come to a conclusion by the time the votes are cast, but the voters will be told not to vote for him. No way in hell.

What now for the Heisman? These scandals are wearing away at the validity of the award, IMO. If he wins it, there'll be huge complaints over it, and the whole thing would be another Reggie Bush scenario, which the Heisman people will do everything to avoid.

And if he doesn't win it (and i don't think he will), can you really say that the guy who does win it deserves it? Newton is clearly the best player in college football this year, so i would say no to that.

This is a disaster tbqh.

And this will put Andrew Luck firmly in the picture for the Heisman which is only fair anyways. As good as Newton has been, I think Luck is the best QB in college football right now and I'm including Newton in that.

What now for the Heisman? These scandals are wearing away at the validity of the award, IMO. If he wins it, there'll be huge complaints over it, and the whole thing would be another Reggie Bush scenario, which the Heisman people will do everything to avoid.

And if he doesn't win it (and i don't think he will), can you really say that the guy who does win it deserves it? Newton is clearly the best player in college football this year, so i would say no to that.

This is a disaster tbqh.

Probably Andrew Luck now unless the end of the season goes oblong for the Cardinals. If not Luck, then LaMichael James or Kellen Moore at a stretch.

Probably Andrew Luck now unless the end of the season goes oblong for the Cardinals. If not Luck, then LaMichael James or Kellen Moore at a stretch.

That's not the point though. When all is said and done, and Luck is Heisman winner, let's say. Will he really have been the best player in CFB?

Some might think so - as eagle eye reckons - but many, such as myself, and (I suspect) yourself, won't.

That's not the point though. When all is said and done, and Luck is Heisman winner, let's say. Will he really have been the best player in CFB?

Some might think so - as eagle eye reckons - but many, such as myself, and (I suspect) yourself, won't.

Oh sorry, I thought you were asking who'd get it in his absence. Yeah I definitely think Newton has been the most stand out player, and has done everything the Heisman committee would look out for (apart from the integrity part now! :pac: ) There's nothing really that they can do now though, they set a precedent with Reggie Bush so even though Newton deserves it, they can't go down that road again. I imagine that they'll probably invite him as one of the five finalists (assuming it hasn't been wrapped up by then and sanctions handed out) but leave him out of the top three and just sweep it all under the rug.

Auburn and TCU loisng right now

this could be a great day for Boise if this continues.

Green proving why hes the best WR in college football. Top 5 draft pick gauranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Auburn and TCU loisng right now

this could be a great day for Boise if this continues.

Green proving why hes the best WR in college football. Top 5 draft pick gauranteed
    "He'd catch a cold in the desert!"

Stanford grab a late win. The Ducks up by only 2 with over 6 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter.

Andrew Luck had a guy in his face about to sack him on 3rd and long and I mean in his face and he threw the ball away or so I thought but it went down the middle and was caught by one of his receivers just over the first down line. If he didn't complete there it was likely they would lose. It was just incredible.

Utah & Baylor both losing and the manner of Utah's defeat really hammering TCU in the eyes of the voters plus the computers (although lessof a hit)

Boise wins out now they will finish ahead of TCU in the BCS (Rightly in my opinion) I bet theres never been so many Alabama fans in Idaho right now as there will be coming up the week after next.

• Advertisement

Looks like my Hawaii warriors are off the the Mountain West in Football only with their other 18 sports into the big west I suspect.

Mountain West just got stronger and adds another BCS bowl appearance into their calculations for AQ status. If they can patch their differences with BYU bam a conference title game and with it a probably BCS bid.

Just finished watching Boise win their 24th straight college football game. Just unbelievable. A 52-0 shutout of Fresno is just well incredible. This team has to do it big time next week and they have to make the big game, its not right if they don't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ohio St v. Iowa is on right now and a really close game. 3-7 Iowa. They are hitting hard!

Edit: Near end of 3rd, tied game 10-10.

Auburn @ Alabama tonight at 7:30pm. What a way to spend a Friday evening :)

cant wait. I gotta admit Im rooting for the Tide.

Want to see Boise get a shot at Oregon for the NC.

Roll Tide !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Me too! Should be a grand game indeed!

cant wait. I gotta admit Im rooting for the Tide.

Want to see Boise get a shot at Oregon for the NC.

Roll Tide !!

Exact same reasoning as myself!

Would be an absolute shame of Boise didn't make it to the big one.

Boise - Oregon would be a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Alabama have hit the ground running :eek:

24-7 Bama at half. Tide drowns Tigers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Can't say I expected the first half to turn out like that at all, does anyone else fancy Newton to rally the troops and stage a comeback for Auburn or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Advertisement