Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Football NCAA 2010 Season rankings, games/play action, calls, players, rants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Archimedes wrote: »
    This is a team who have a realistic chance of going number 1 in the country after this weekend. They haven't failed on a 4th down so far this game, if the other team can't defend it then why not go for it?

Edit: One handed catch. Bloody awesome.

they are already number 1 in the human polls running up the score doesnt impact the computer so its pointless and classless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Tbh, the whole running up the score argument is one of the most pitiful things in sports today.

Tbh, the whole running up the score argument is one of the most pitiful things in sports today.

so up by 29 points first half and taking a timeout without possesson with 12 seconds left isnt classless ?? Show the opponent some respect.

look at most top teams up beyond doubt bring in the second string.

D3PO wrote: »
    so up by 29 points first half and taking a timeout without possesson with 12 seconds left isnt classless ?? Show the opponent some respect.

If you don't want the other team to run up the score, then pull the finger out and stop them. Simple. Oregon have a number of motivating factors to put as many points as they want between them and UCLA. I'm sure Oregon don't particularly care if people think they're being unfair on their opponents. It's a silly little argument, and a viewpoint that should be considered laughable outside of peewee football.

It's the end of the first half for Christ's sake. If UCLA go out and get two TD's and get themselves back in the game, how stupid would Oregon look saying "Ah well we didn't want to rub it in too much".

Another TD. Darron Thomas is on fire. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

39-6 Ducks in last 5min of 3rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Bearcats have gone a hell of a lot backwards this year. 38-30 loss to South Florida at Nippert. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Watched the game last night. A lot of speed in that South Florida D and I reckon there are a couple of draft picks there. But even with that it was down to the QB who had a very poor game for Cincy. Actually the junior who came in late in the game looked pretty good at QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

In the shadows of Eric LeGrnades paralysing injury with Rutgers Chris Norton a freshman with Luther College in Iowa was also paralysed the same weekend.

Thoughts and Prwayers go out to Chris and his family.
    Luther College freshman football player Chris Norton suffered a fractured neck and compressed spinal cord in a special team’s collision during Saturday’s game against Central.

The former Bondurant-Farrar prep was injured on a kickoff as he attempted to make a tackle. After being treated on the field for 25 minutes, he was transported to Decorah Medical Center and eventually airlifted to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., where he underwent a three-hour surgery.

A post from his family on the Web site www.caringbridge.org said Monday afternoon that Norton has been able to move both arms slightly and has increased sensitivity throughout his body. The family was initially told by doctors there was a three-percent chance he would ever regain function from the neck down.

“Sunday morning he could wiggle his left arm. He is already in the three percent,” Norton’s father, Terry, wrote. “This morning, he could identify what toe we were squeezing … He asked us to share the following: ‘Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers, they mean a lot. I am going to recover from this. I know I’ll be able to walk. I don’t have any doubt in my mind.’”

Luther Coach Mike Durnin was asked Monday how he and his team was coping. Durnin spent Saturday evening/Sunday morning with the Nortons at Mayo while Chris was in surgery.

“I’m not the important person. The important people here are Chris and his family,” Durnin said. “Things are going well. We’re keeping a great positive attitude, looking at the victories each and every day and going forward.”

Durnin said he has spoken to people at Rutgers University, where player Eric LeGrand was paralyzed from the neck down after making a tackle in a game Saturday against Army. He spoke with his team about Norton’s injury after Saturday’s game and had a 30-minute meeting planned with players Monday afternoon before practice.

“Until something like this actually happens, you don’t really understand what your feelings are. It’s very difficult to put into words,” he said. “For us to keep going, everyone needs to be together, just like a family. You want to be with your family in a situation like this.

“I’m sure there are going to be plenty of tears, questions and hugs.”

chris-norton.jpg

Again the incident is on special teams a time when players are colliding at the greatest force.

forget this rule change the NFL are bring in regarding tackling the issue is special teams and I think it needs to be looked at.

great that hes god some feeling you would be confident that he can regain mobility lets hope so anyway

• Advertisement

Some good games today, Notre Dame vs Navy about to kick off, and the big one later is LSU @ Cam Newton :pac:

Really enjoyed the Auburn/LSU game. Two teams that did not want to give up their unbeaten records. No doubt about it Newton was the start of the game but the LSU punter kept them in it for a long time. He will certainly get picked up in next years draft if he enters it. Some real big stars of the future on show in that game. Best game of ball I've watched all year, very balanced with excellent Ds on both sides and some very talented offensive players too.

looked a good game what i saw anyway was watching my Hawaii warriors tear Utah State a new one so didnt see much :D

and on that note check Greg Salas's One handed TD catch for hawaii start of Q4 top quality stuff.

will be a good draft pickup next year probably the only warrior to go in it id say

So are the Ducks gonna finally be no.1? For the third week running the no.1 ranked team is gonna lose. Sooners down by 15 with 6.36 left in the 4th. Its the first time thats happened since 1960. I'm glad to see it too because Oklahoma had no business being no.1.

Would you like your Heisman gift wrapped Mr. Newton?

cameron-newton.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Johnny_Trotter

I was a bit surprised there wasn't more mention of Auburn/Cam Newton til now... I watched an epic game against Arkansas (65-43) a week back and they looked impressive then.

I didn't watch them against LSU on Saturday but did see a few highlights and Newton's TD in particular was great.

They've sneaked up to #1 (from #22 in September), but I guess 8-0 will do that.

I saw the tackle also which paralysed LeGrand - hopefully he makes a recovery.

Awesome, Austin Pettis passes to Kellen Moore for a TD. No typo there!

Oregon @ USC should be a classic.

God knows I love watching Oregon play, but I think USC beats them today. This is their bowl game, and that crowd should propel them above the Ducks. I can't wait for it.

Missouri and Michigan St getting their asses handed to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Oregon Ducks are going to slaughter my USC Trojans starting in just 10 minutes on ABC.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Great drive from Oregan's offence with SC not able to stop anything by the ducks, including a two point conversion

It will be interesting to see how the Trojans react to this, they wont be able to settle for too many field goals like they had to on their opening drive

Tyler pounds it in from a yard out, looks like we'll have a good game!

Only 29-24 Ducks in the 3rd? Huh? Numero uno vs unranked USC and only this tiny lead thus far? My Trojans have no D too. This should not be a close game, so this close point spread cannot last.

Edit: 32-29 Trojans in 3rd? So much for the polls.

Edit: 36-32 Ducks after another Thomas pass to NZ. Still 3rd. Thomas is about 50%, while Barkely is near 60% completions so far this game.

Edit: Ends 53-32 Ducks. There was no Trojan D during the 2nd and 4th quarters for some reason. Troy must of been playing with our cheerleaders during those quarters.

Cam Newton does it again.

Not happy with passing for 15 touchdowns and rushing for 14 touchdowns so far this year, he decides he'll haul in a receiving touchdown too.

May as well just give him the Heisman now. Unbelievable stuff.

Only 29-24 Ducks in the 3rd? Huh? Numero uno vs unranked USC and only this tiny lead thus far? My Trojans have no D too. This should not be a close game, so this close point spread cannot last.

Edit: 32-29 Trojans in 3rd? So much for the polls.

Edit: 36-32 Ducks after another Thomas pass to NZ. Still 3rd. Thomas is about 50%, while Barkely is near 60% completions so far this game.

Edit: Ends 53-32 Ducks. There was no Trojan D during the 2nd and 4th quarters for some reason. Troy must of been playing with our cheerleaders during those quarters.

That post is for me why the Ducks are the best team right now. SC could hang with them for 40 mins or so but then Oregon pulled away. Its worth remembering SC had a bye week last week so had extra time to prepare for this game and even with it being the biggest game of their season they still couldnt keep up with Oregon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Oregon's defence doesn't impress me. Then again neither does Auburn's. But will it even matter?

Boise State's defence is much better than both.

Lirange wrote: »
    Oregon's defence doesn't impress me. Then again neither does Auburn's. But will it even matter?

Boise State's defence is much better than both.

Bit harsh on Auburn. Their defense is pretty solid but they have had some off games. Oregon have a very shaky defence.

They have by far the most explosive offense in the country though. That said I dont think they are the best team around.

They genuinely havent played a good defense all year. USC are ok, but this isnt a top ranked USC team either. The PAC 10 overall has been a bit overhyped this year if you ask me.

I would think Alabama or Nebraska would beat Oregon if truth be told.

At this stage of the year Id rank my top 10 as follows

1. Auburn
    2. Nebraska
    3. Alabama
    4. Oregon
    5. Boise
    6. LSU
    7. Utah
    8. TCU
    9. Wisconsin
    10. Ohio State

End of year I expect Alamaba to win at home versus Auburn then to beat the Gamecocks in the SEC title game and retain their NC versus Oregon.

Personally speaking Id love to see one of the non AQ's make the NC game v Oregon (Think Boise deserve it but think Utah wil end up top non AQ team) but it just wont happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

May as well just give him the Heisman now. Unbelievable stuff.

Not so fast

Read about that alright. If there's any hint of wrong doing (which there appears to be), even if unproven, there's no way he'll get it. They just won't go down that road again.

In other news, anyone hear of Jeff Driskel? High school QB who has already committed to Florida. He's supposed to be the business, a once in a generation QB for his age andwill apparently make them forget about Tebow. No pressure then! Been reading up about him. Scouts are raving mad about him. 6'3 and 225 already. Some are already tipping him for a Heisman in his freshman year which is a bit mad, but it'll be interesting to follow his progress.

• Advertisement

Read about that alright. If there's any hint of wrong doing (which there appears to be), even if unproven, there's no way he'll get it. They just won't go down that road again.

In other news, anyone hear of Jeff Driskel? High school QB who has already committed to Florida. He's supposed to be the business, a once in a generation QB for his age andwill apparently make them forget about Tebow. No pressure then! Been reading up about him. Scouts are raving mad about him. 6'3 and 225 already. Some are already tipping him for a Heisman in his freshman year which is a bit mad, but it'll be interesting to follow his progress.

Sounds similar to the hype USC had last year about David Sills. Only time will tell if theres any substance to both Driskel or Sills

Advertisement