Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Football NCAA 2010 Season rankings, games/play action, calls, players, rants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I am new to college football but follow the nfl. Could someone explain to me the ranking system and what is the best bowl? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

It will be an absolute travesty if Cam Newton doesn't win the Heisman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I am new to college football but follow the nfl. Could someone explain to me the ranking system and what is the best bowl? Thanks in advance.

The rankings system is used to rank the 25 best teams in the country (whether or not it fairly represents them is often a topic of debate). There are three components used to determine the rankings - the USA Today Coaches' Poll, the Harris Interactive Poll and another component that takes into account six computer generated rankings.

The top 2 teams at the end of the year go to the National Championship Game (at the time of writing this, it looks like this year that will be Auburn and Oregon). Then there are the 4 big Bowl Games - the Rose Bowl (considered the biggest of the four), the Orange Bowl, the Sugar Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl.

The Rose Bowl will always be the Big Ten conference champion versus the Pac 10 conference champion (unless either team is in the National Championship. In that scenario, the BCS will select another team).

The Fiesta Bowl will be the Big 12 champion vs a team selected by the BCS. Again, if the Big 12 champion is in the National Championship Game, another team will be chosen.

The Orange Bowl will be the ACC champion vs a team selected by the BCS.

The Sugar Bowl will be the SEC champion vs a team selected by the BCS.

That's how it works in very simplistic terms as far as I know. In reality, it's a stupid system and college football would be much more exciting with a playoff system imo.

It will be an absolute travesty if Cam Newton doesn't win the Heisman

True performance wise, he most definitely deserves it. After what happened with Reggie Bush so fresh in the memory however, it would not surprise me if they committee didn't touch him and went with LaMichael James or Andrew Luck to avoid controversy down the line. I don't agree with it, but I could understand why if they did go with one of James or Luck.

Ouch, Jake Locker has a 77 yard TD run called back for holding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Me want some Cammy Cam Juice.

That Washington - Washington State game was incredible. So glad I watched it. Jake Locker ensures his name will be etched in history at Washington with that touchdown at the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

USC v UCLA 7-7 bottom 1st. Barkley QB for Trojans.

Edit: Well into 2nd, Mustain replaces Barkley. We are doomed if Barkley does not return.

Edit: UCLA Franklin fumbles, Smith USC D recovers and returns 66 yards for TD. 14-7 USC.

Edit: Half.

Edit: Barkley's back, but first possession goes no where. Punts to Bruins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    The top 2 teams at the end of the year go to the National Championship Game (at the time of writing this, it looks like this year that will be Auburn and Oregon). Then there are the 4 big Bowl Games - the Rose Bowl (considered the biggest of the four), the Orange Bowl, the Sugar Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl.

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't ask the original Q but it was something i was wondering about. The whole things seem fairly bizarre, especially the part where teams are ranked basically because of votes, as if it were some Eurovision song contest. I'm interested though, how does the BCS choose the opponents of the various conference winners in the Sugar, Fiesta and Orange bowls. Is it random, or is it down to national rankings? I have heard some talk about 'bowl eligible' teams, how does this work? I'd appreciate any clarification.

• Advertisement

The rankings system is used to rank the 25 best teams in the country (whether or not it fairly represents them is often a topic of debate). There are three components used to determine the rankings - the USA Today Coaches' Poll, the Harris Interactive Poll and another component that takes into account six computer generated rankings.

The Rose Bowl will always be the Big Ten conference champion versus the Pac 10 conference champion (unless either team is in the National Championship. In that scenario, the BCS will select another team).

The Fiesta Bowl will be the Big 12 champion vs a team selected by the BCS. Again, if the Big 12 champion is in the National Championship Game, another team will be chosen.

The Orange Bowl will be the ACC champion vs a team selected by the BCS.

The Sugar Bowl will be the SEC champion vs a team selected by the BCS.

That's how it works in very simplistic terms as far as I know. In reality, it's a stupid system and college football would be much more exciting with a playoff system imo.
    Thanks for you're help.

fisgon wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanation, I didn't ask the original Q but it was something i was wondering about. The whole things seem fairly bizarre, especially the part where teams are ranked basically because of votes, as if it were some Eurovision song contest. I'm interested though, how does the BCS choose the opponents of the various conference winners in the Sugar, Fiesta and Orange bowls. Is it random, or is it down to national rankings? I have heard some talk about 'bowl eligible' teams, how does this work? I'd appreciate any clarification.

There are so many stipulations and ifs and buts, that rather than explain it myself (I only have the simplest grasp of it, there are loads of scenarios where I wouldn't have a clue what the correct procedure should be!) that you might be better off just read this link:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bcs_selection_procedures.html

For what it's worth, it seems nailed on that this years BCS line-up will be:

National Championship Game
    10th January 2011
    (1) Auburn vs (2) Oregon

Rose Bowl
    1st January 2011
    (4) Wisconsin vs (3) TCU

Fiesta Bowl
    1st January 2011
    (9) Oklahoma vs (25) Connecticut

Orange Bowl
    3rd January 2011
    (12) Virginia Tech vs (5) Stanford

Sugar Bowl
    1st January 2011
    (8) Arkansas vs (6) Ohio State

That's not official, but it seems pretty bang on that this will be the line up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Here's an unofficial link that also talks about it...
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/534695-2010-bowl-schedule-bold-predictions-and-projections-for-all-35-games/entry/32950-bcs-national-championship-game-2011-auburn-tigers-vs-oregon-ducks

For what it's worth, it seems nailed on that this years BCS line-up will be:

National Championship Game
    10th January 2011
    (1) Auburn vs (2) Oregon

Rose Bowl
    1st January 2011
    (4) Wisconsin vs (3) TCU

Fiesta Bowl
    1st January 2011
    (9) Oklahoma vs (25) Connecticut

Orange Bowl
    3rd January 2011
    (12) Virginia Tech vs (5) Stanford

Sugar Bowl
    1st January 2011
    (8) Arkansas vs (6) Ohio State

Just to clarify, these have now been confirmed as this year's line up.

Prediction wise, I'll go for:

National Championship: Auburn
    Rose Bowl: Wisconsin
    Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma
    Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech
    Sugar Bowl: Ohio State

The Urban Meyer era at Florida is over, this time for certain it seems. Quite a surprise I have to admit, but I wouldn't begrudge the man his freedom now. An excellent coach for the Gators.

Full story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The Urban Meyer era at Florida is over, this time for certain it seems. Quite a surprise I have to admit, but I wouldn't begrudge the man his freedom now. An excellent coach for the Gators.

Shame to see arguably the best coach of the last ten years bow out after such a poor season but throughout the year it was clear that he didnt have the appetite for the "all day every day" that being the coach of one of the biggest programmes in college ball.

Who's going to get the job? You'd have to say Dan Mullen will be the hot favourite

So the Heisman will be awarded in about an hours time. Cam Newton is obviously the runaway favourite. There's the very, very slim chance that some voters will have either abstained from voting for him due to the pay-to-play controversey, or have taken a more extreme option and voted for somebody else. This has already reared it's head in the Football Writers' Association and the All-American Team selection, where he was overlooked in favour of Kellen Moore. It could happen, but I still expect to see Newton with the Heisman tonight.

As expected, Newton wins in a blowout victory.

ncf_u_newton11_576.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Will Muschamp confirmed as the new Gators head coach. It's a great hiring for Florida, as a Longhorns fan it's been clear that Muschamp is a top notch coach just a shame that he left before being handed the reigns at Texas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

A couple of interesting items regarding oversigning in college football. With the practice receiving increased attention recently (Auburn being the worst offender of the practice), it will be interesting to see if the NCAA takes any strong actions to curtail the practice.

A good website devoted strictly to the practice of oversigning (looks like the SEC leads in the Oversigning Cup):

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/recruiting-numbers/

Also, ESPN's program Outside the Lines just did an interesting story on oversigning: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

The wonderful world of college football

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Johnny_Trotter

cheesehead wrote: »
    Also, ESPN's program Outside the Lines just did an interesting story on oversigning: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

The wonderful world of college football

I believe that I watched that program on Saturday, about a guy and his son (David Sills III and IV, if I remember correctly). Although, having said that, it almost seemed liked reverse oversigning, because the father was doing everything to get his son forward, as opposed to the college doing everything to get the student in. He said he had spent over $100,000 on setting up the school to suit the son, building the high school stadium, installing floodlights etc, and then basically 'buying' coaches and other players to join the system all to benefit his son.
    When they said towards the end that the son is signed up for college and has basically agreed terms with USC to join in 2015, I was shocked. I guess the father is paying out now to hope for the payoff in the future with that million dollar contract.

It was an interesting documentary though and I was surprised how much footage they could get of the setup, considering they were criticising it for oversigning in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Syracuse KSU game been the best bowl so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

yeah a good game, all better by me having syracuse, this tennessee side are so hit and miss.
    Oklohoma state most impressive winners so far. Nebraska will be big upset if they dont win tonight interesting with locker under centre for washington as he has big draft ambitions.

Lirange wrote: »
    Syracuse KSU game been the best bowl so far.
    maybe but the finish to the North Carolina and Tennenese game has to be seen to be believed. It's going to overtime now, anybody still up?

That is the stuff for Bray, the cocky little 1/4 back playing for Tennenese who throws an int in the 2nd period of OT. A field goal will win it now for N.Carolina. Thats the game 30-27 to N.Carloina. Get to watch the highlights lads, the crowd in Tennenese are fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

nebraska massive upset, considered held them to 0yds passing on 1st half.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Tennessee threw that game away terribly

• Advertisement

It's Rose Bowl day baby :D

Advertisement