Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how long did it take you to get over ex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    This is what happened to me. Was so distracted by the new guy, didnt really have to think about my original break up. I opened up my heart way too easily, and told him a lot of stuff. Now its over im thinking to myself it must be because of me that he dumped me. I feel worse now, thean i did over my initial long term break up. I feel soo low, and have lost all my confidence i was starting to get back

Bad dark day today all round for us Snoopy eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Everyone deals with a break up differently, whether its to suffer alone or latch onto someone to ease the pain. However, neither reaction is gender specific, nor wrong. Deal with it whichever way helps to piece you back together, and as Wibbs put it - 'reset your heart'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd love to think that I could go out and bring a random guy home and not get attached. But I don't think I could, at least not for another while. I'd just be trying to replace my ex, and I'd expect the guy to do everything my ex used.

At the moment I genuinely feel queazy when I think about doing stuff with another guy too. I have this image in my head that it would be like that scene in 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' where he starts crying after his first one night stand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Faith wrote: »
    ...and I'd expect the guy to do everything my ex used.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, being surprised and delighted when he doesn't do the things that annoyed you about your ex is quite refreshing and helps the healing process. :)

I don't really expect very much from rebound relationships in the longer term but they have been very useful in helping me to see that life goes on, other men have wonderful qualities and probably most importantly, it stopped me spending so much time on my own missing "us" that I didn't have the opportunity to turn him and our relationship into some rose tinted wonderfulness that it hadn't really been - something I was certainly guilty of after other break ups.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, being surprised and delighted when he doesn't do the things that annoyed you about your ex is quite refreshing and helps the healing process. :)

Oh absolutely, and that's something I look forward too. But I forgot to add that I'd probably get really hurt and upset if I didn't hear from him again. I'm too raw now to be able to be emotionally detached. But I look forward to kicking a guy out of my bed in the middle of the night once I'm ready :).
    I don't really expect very much from rebound relationships in the longer term but they have been very useful in helping me to see that life goes on, other men have wonderful qualities and probably most importantly, it stopped me spending so much time on my own missing "us" that I didn't have the opportunity to turn him and our relationship into some rose tinted wonderfulness that it hadn't really been - something I was certainly guilty of after other break ups.

This is something I'm trying not to do too. I go through phases; some days all I can think about are the good times we had, but other days I'm much more practical and can clearly see that there was an equal amount of bad in the last few months. I'm hoping for more of the latter days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I second this. While I am still in the "arrrghh" place one good thing about the rebound sex I had was that it wasn't weird to be with another man in that way. It was nice to explore someone elses body and have sex in a totally differnt way with them. It showed me that when I am finally ready I can have some kind of meaningful physical relationship with someone else and like it for what it is and not compare it to the one I had with my ex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I was the opposite. Was so used to being with ex, that when i went with someone new, i was really paranoid about my wobbly bits and didnt enjoy it at all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Bonito wrote: »
    Serious question for the girls here. Does the attitude of "To get over a man just get under another one" work and has anyone ever done it to try and heal the pain of a breakup?

No not in my experience, its a distraction but once that ends your back to feeling heart broken. Think we need to get over these things ourselves first on our own. Sucks but true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

2 long, painful, miserable years. Fcuker! :mad:

I guess I'm still bitter then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This thread is equal parts sad and comforting

• Advertisement

It would have been our 7 year anniversary today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Oh Snoopy1 try and organise some nice things with your girlfriends to take your mind off the day, with it being such lovely weather, how about a walk on the beach and some cool beers afterwards. Hope it gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Piste wrote: »
    This thread is equal parts sad and comforting

Yep and it is sad in equal parts aswell. In the sense we're all "sad" for babbling on an internet forum about our ex's, and "sad" that deep down a good few of us seems genuinely heartbroken. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Yep and it is sad in equal parts aswell. In the sense we're all "sad" for babbling on an internet forum about our ex's, and "sad" that deep down a good few of us seems genuinely heartbroken. :(
    I don't think it's sad. I know women tend to talk about their feelings more than men but even men have put in on this thread how they're feeling. No harm in sharing stories and helping out with comforting each other. :)

Some people find it easier to confide in strangers than people they know. For example you'd be more likely to see a counselor that you didn't know as opposed to one you'd know personally. No matter how good their professional reputation is compared to the other counselor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't think it's sad. I know women tend to talk about their feelings more than men but even men have put in on this thread how they're feeling. No harm in sharing stories and helping out with comforting each other. :)
    I'd agree. I suspect if I had had strangers on the interweb to rant with when I went through the two biggies it would have been a weight off. As far as the emotional trauma, for me anyway it was pretty harsh. I've buried mates and family and that was truly horrible, but more acute, heartbreak keeps on giving :) for longer. It's defo up there with bereavement.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd agree. I suspect if I had had strangers on the interweb to rant with when I went through the two biggies it would have been a weight off. As far as the emotional trauma, for me anyway it was pretty harsh. I've buried mates and family and that was truly horrible, but more acute, heartbreak keeps on giving :) for longer. It's defo up there with bereavement.

The internet has helped me a huge amount over the last few weeks. If it wasn't for here, I don't know how I'd have gotten through things. There are a few wonderful women here who've given me more comfort and advice than I could ever imagined. They've held my virtual hand all the way. My mum gave out to me recently for living a "virtual life", saying it was bad for me, but that couldn't be further from the truth right now. I can freely cry when writing my posts here; I'd feel stupid bawling crying in front of friends repeatedly in the real world.

I'm starting to come to terms with things now, and I owe so much of that to boards.

As for a break up being like a bereavement, it completely is. I described it to a friend in the early days as, "It's like he's died, but only to me. Everyone else gets to keep going as normal, seeing him, hanging out with him, talking to him. It's like he's died, only worse because he's still there but i'm the only one not allowed to be in his life". And at least when someone actually dies, you know that's it, you're never going to see them again. But when you've been dumped, you don't get that kind of closure, and I think most people spend a long time trying to figure out how to get the person back. That's probably the worst part: The niggling hope that they'll come grovelling back to you any day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭MissIT

5 months and counting. im still madly in love with him. It doesnt help that we see each other once or twice a week either or that he tells me "i mean so much to him".. maybe i do just not enough!

It's not so bad now though I can actually function again and I do enjoy myself without him being there. And I am onlly 20 so surely I'll find someone I feel that close to again :)!

I did try the whole hooking up with other people thing but as soon as someone even hints they want anything remotely serious I run a mile. I think I need to be happy to be on my own and get my confidence back before Ido anything else.

shoes34 wrote: »
    Oh Snoopy1 try and organise some nice things with your girlfriends to take your mind off the day, with it being such lovely weather, how about a walk on the beach and some cool beers afterwards. Hope it gets better.

Working all weekend, so no drink for me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

MissIT wrote: »
    5 months and counting. im still madly in love with him. It doesnt help that we see each other once or twice a week either or that he tells me "i mean so much to him".. maybe i do just not enough!
    Nail on the head. The "enough" part is what counts. I've heard that stuff from exes, even "I still love you but Im confused(love that one:rolleyes:), or "I need time to think/need space"(ditto with the :rolleyes:). My answer, crass though it is? "Ok then who are you banging? Who are you waking up with and planning things with? Not me? Oh right so..." Sums it up for me. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The internet has helped me a huge amount over the last few weeks. If it wasn't for here, I don't know how I'd have gotten through things. There are a few wonderful women here who've given me more comfort and advice than I could ever imagined. They've held my virtual hand all the way. My mum gave out to me recently for living a "virtual life", saying it was bad for me, but that couldn't be further from the truth right now. I can freely cry when writing my posts here; I'd feel stupid bawling crying in front of friends repeatedly in the real world.
    Funny though I said its a pity it wasnt around for me in the past Im not so sure Id let it out here or somewhere similar if it had been. I usually go into helping others mode. That I find helps me anyway. More than helping myself if that makes any sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

It being Friday and such a fabulous day I find that I am missing him more as it gets nearer to 5pm - because on beautiful days like today and hopefully tomorrow we would have taken a drive to the beach and gone for a stroll - I am telling myself don't pick up the phone....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭MissIT

Nail on the head. The "enough" part is what counts.

It's the enough part that keeps me strong to be honest.. it's the reason i finished it. I can't make him love me. Someone will eventually so it's all good/
    shoes34 wrote: »
    It being Friday and such a fabulous day I find that I am missing him more as it gets nearer to 5pm - because on beautiful days like today and hopefully tomorrow we would have taken a drive to the beach and gone for a stroll - I am telling myself don't pick up the phone....:confused:

Dont do it!!! you will regret it. I was like you texting him when i felt down. My friend got dumped by her boyfriend of 3 years and she was totally heartbroken over it, but from the day they broke up she cut contact.. never text him nothing and she is so much stronger for it. to be honest shes my hero.

You can do it.. go to the beach or for a stroll it's still a gorgeous day with or without him :) xxx

To be honest you girls on boards have helped me so much. I dont think i would have coped if i didnt have my virtual life.
    Its a sad state of life that i have more virtual friends than i do real life ones

To be honest you girls on boards have helped me so much. I dont think i would have coped if i didnt have my virtual life.
    Its a sad state of life that i have more virtual friends than i do real life ones

Ahem! *flutters eyelashes* :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I dunno. I think it's kinda nice that so many people find a wee vent on the internet helps them. It's good that people are coming into TLL and finding the support they need to get through a tough period in their lives. Often, it's a lot easier to say how you're really feeling from behind your screen, or even better, to loads of strangers, than it is to open up to people you know.

Personally, I'd say I'm more of a thinker at the time. I'm not likely to be found posting that I'm heartbroken etc., but when all's been said and done and when I've dealt with everything, I like being able to say, "Well, here's what happened to me....". It's just kind of nice to know that your experiences with something can help someone else and I guess you sort of become to closer to people by bonding over emotional trauma.

Novella wrote: »

Personally, I'd say I'm more of a thinker at the time. I'm not likely to be found posting that I'm heartbroken etc., but when all's been said and done and when I've dealt with everything, I like being able to say, "Well, here's what happened to me....". It's just kind of nice to know that your experiences with something can help someone else and I guess you sort of become to closer to people by bonding over emotional trauma.

The one thing that I'm happy about after this whole situation, is that when one of my friends goes through it, I can be there for them and say "When it happened to me..." etc. In the first week of my break up, I found huge comfort in a not-very-close friend of mine who'd gone through the exact same situation a few weeks before. My real-life friends are fantastic, but I'm the first to go through a heartbreak like this. So talking to someone who'd been there was immensely helpful.

Ahem! *flutters eyelashes* :pac:

sorry. You boardsie's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

One of my ex's, it took me a year and a half to nearly 2 years to get over him. It absolutely destroyed me. Definately felt like a bereavement. I still think about him every so often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I think its because the dead dont leave you on purpose so it doesnt filter in to affect your trust on the living. Plus they leave everybody, not just you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I think its because the dead dont leave you on purpose so it doesnt filter in to affect your trust on the living. Plus they leave everybody, not just you.

My ex did leave on purpose but after two years Im finally understanding why! Ill never fully get over him but I will learn to move on!

I went through his death on my own because my "friends" were to wrapped up in their own lives to help me! My family were great but didnt understand!

One of these days I will find someone who gets me like he did but it will be a totally different relationship! I will be able to let him go then :D I hope :o

My ex did leave on purpose but after two years Im finally understanding why! Ill never fully get over him but I will learn to move on!

I went through his death on my own because my "friends" were to wrapped up in their own lives to help me! My family were great but didnt understand!

One of these days I will find someone who gets me like he did but it will be a totally different relationship! I will be able to let him go then :D I hope :o

That must have been so incredibly lonely.

Its much harder when no one understands, but at the same time how can they? So the kindness people show when they dont understand takes a kind of bravery, a lot of people feel so incompetent when they dont understand they run away for fear of making things worse.

You may never find someone who gets you, but that's ok.

I think in bereavement you can hold onto someone because you feel guiltiy letting them go... or at least I did...I felt for a long time to get over it completely [I lost family to death... never lost a boyfriend that way.. sometimes I wish I did:D] would be a betrayal...but not so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I think you have to go through a year at least. Because there are times of the year that suddenly hit you like bank holiday weekends/Christmas/ birthdays and you think you're doing fine and then suddenly some date approaches and you start thinking 'this time last year....'. Places will remind you of your ex as well and you might not be prepared for the depth of emotion that takes over just by visiting a pub or some town you might have done a weekend break with your ex.

Heartbreak is awful. I was heartbroken for about two years I'd say! If someone had told me that at the beginning I don't know how I would have coped. But I guess I had to be that way. I can't tell you when I stopped being heartbroken but one day I just realised 'hey, it doesn't matter anymore when people mention his name or when I see something that reminds me of him".

The saddest part of it all is that I lost trust in myself and my judgement like other posters on this thread. I got over the ex after two years but the distrust has lasted much longer. I've only started putting myself out there again in the last year or two (We broke up over five years ago). I was so scared of being hurt again. I really felt like i hadn't coped very well and I was afraid that if something similar happened again that my reaction would be even worse - that I would have serious health problems, depression etc Sometimes I think I must be the most sensitive soul in the world. I really don't know how people can jump from one relationship to another.

I started doing night classes and getting involved in new things. It built my confidence no-end. I've travelled the world on my own. Around this time all my friends were settling down and getting married and having children. It's very lonely. I've met a few men but nothing beyond two or three dates. When I look back on it now, I'm actually really proud of myself. I managed to keep getting up in the morning and face the world with a smile on my face through all of this.

I really wouldn't want to be one of those people who has to be in a relationship to feel socially capable. I'm in my mid 30s and I've seen a real desperation in some of the women around me (and men for that matter), who settle for their OHs. A lot of my friends have changed since settling down. They're very controlling and they're very scared of being on their own. I'd hate to have that fear more than what I've been through.

I've learned so much in the last five years. I've meet so many people and had so many positive experiences. I've travelled the world and made more new friends in my thirties than I did in my twenties. Everything I own and I've achieved, I've done it on my own, not just financially but mentally as well. I also believe I'm way more open-minded and empathetic, than I would have been, if life had gone like I had hoped it would.

I'd love to meet someone, but I'd be very cautious. I want to be with someone on equal terms for both of us. I haven't met that guy yet....but I'm in a really good place now so I'm ready, which, for me is a big step! I've even been rejected since and haven fallen to pieces over it!

Anyway OP...you'll get there. Its great that you can already communicate how you feel. It took me a long time to even understand what I was feeling.

Good luck and I hope all you heartbroken people have a speedy recovery!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

It would have been our 7 year anniversary today :(

*cuddles*
    it's been over three and a half years and im still totally broken...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

I've been following this thread but haven't been posting much, my boyfriend of 6 years broke up with me before Christmas. I talked about it loads for months but I think I'm at the stage where I'm all talked out, doing any more would drag it all up again so I haven't been posting.

But when I'm having a bad day for no apparent reason (like today) and and the world seems to made up of happy couples enjoying the sunshine and all you can think of is all the good times you had, it's so nice to be able to come here and see that there are other people in the same boat and there is (eventually!) light at the end of the tunnel. Friends and family have been great but people expect you to get over it so quickly, it's so reassuring when people on here acknowlegde that it takes time and it's not strange that I still have bad days!

So thanks to all of you who make it a bit less lonely!

Miss Lala wrote: »
    I've been following this thread but haven't been posting much, my boyfriend of 6 years broke up with me before Christmas. I talked about it loads for months but I think I'm at the stage where I'm all talked out, doing any more would drag it all up again so I haven't been posting.

But when I'm having a bad day for no apparent reason (like today) and and the world seems to made up of happy couples enjoying the sunshine and all you can think of is all the good times you had, it's so nice to be able to come here and see that there are other people in the same boat and there is (eventually!) light at the end of the tunnel. Friends and family have been great but people expect you to get over it so quickly, it's so reassuring when people on here acknowlegde that it takes time and it's not strange that I still have bad days!

So thanks to all of you who make it a bit less lonely!

You poor thing Lady Lala. I'm sorry you're feeling that way. You do notice way more happy couples when you've just broken up and it can hurt.....but then they just become annoying :D

+1 to people around you expecting you to move on at their 'pace' as opposed to your 'pace'. You can imagine how freaked out my family and friends are five years later!!:D My advice would be you have to be true to yourself. If you're not up to it you'll know yourself, there's no shame. People will start telling you about friends of theirs who've met people speed dating or online dating. They'll tell you that there's loads of men at this club or that organisation. Sometimes you feel such a pressure to do these things just to keep other people happy!

Keep yourself healthy most of all, keep on top of stuff financially and maybe take on something new, (not to meet other men as people will suggest to you) but something for yourself. You need people to see you as you and not a part of the couple you were. By taking on something new - it will be your little achievement, your thing, something that you can look back on and see that you can do things on your own. You're not going to feel like this forever. At some point, you'll be ready and confident in yourself and you want to make sure that you're physically and financially ready to take on life by the bull horns and do everything that you've been dreaming of!

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »

+1 to people around you expecting you to move on at their 'pace' as opposed to your 'pace'. You can imagine how freaked out my family and friends are five years later!!:D My advice would be you have to be true to yourself. If you're not up to it you'll know yourself, there's no shame. People will start telling you about friends of theirs who've met people speed dating or online dating. They'll tell you that there's loads of men at this club or that organisation. Sometimes you feel such a pressure to do these things just to keep other people happy!

!

Exactly, in a way I know that some positives have come out of the break up cos I've tried new things and met new people. I've probably grown in confidence too as it's the first time I've really been single as an adult, I've always gone from one long term relationsip to another. But what's frustrating is people presuming that I'm doing new things just to meet men! I'm sick of being asked if I've "any news" after every night out - give me a chance and let me focus on myself for a while!!

Exactly, in a way I know that some positives have come out of the break up cos I've tried new things and met new people. I've probably grown in confidence too as it's the first time I've really been single as an adult, I've always gone from one long term relationsip to another. But what's frustrating is people presuming that I'm doing new things just to meet men! I'm sick of being asked if I've "any news" after every night out - give me a chance and let me focus on myself for a while!!

Good for you!

Oh God that 'any news' crap is so annoying and really insensitive as well! It actually makes you feel fifty times worse cos you have to go 'no - (nobody wants me)' :D:D I was sitting in a pub the other night and my friend told me there was a man sitting at another table who looked at me....I was like, what, should I go over to him and tell him I'm single and it makes you uncomfortable!!' :p In the earlier days I actually did a lot of the crap things that my friends suggested and they were awful, because I wasn't ready. I'd end up feeling doubly rejected because I didn't meet anyone I was interested in or who was interested in me. Talk about making matters 100 times worse! :eek:

But that doesn't last forever. One of my biggest milestones was doing online dating over a year ago, being rejected, and not giving a sh*t! Liberating!! :)

Friends and family have been great but people expect you to get over it so quickly, it's so reassuring when people on here acknowlegde that it takes time and it's not strange that I still have bad days!

I'm really getting sick of people expecting me to move on at their pace. I'm doing my best, and honestly I'm really proud of myself, but I'm so sick of people saying "I don't understand why you still talk about wanting him back", or "I can't believe you still haven't let go of him", or "Go out tonight and meet someone new". Em, it's been 3 weeks. I'll get there in my own damn time, and in the meantime, if I want to fantasise about being back with him, I fecking well will.

I'm really getting sick of people expecting me to move on at their pace. I'm doing my best, and honestly I'm really proud of myself, but I'm so sick of people saying "I don't understand why you still talk about wanting him back", or "I can't believe you still haven't let go of him", or "Go out tonight and meet someone new". Em, it's been 3 weeks. I'll get there in my own damn time, and in the meantime, if I want to fantasise about being back with him, I fecking well will.

Am I reading this right.. ? you broke up with someone three weeks ago, and people are on your case about it? :eek:

If so I don't know how you have lost all reason with whoever said that, very insensitive tbh :/

I can't believe you're getting that after three weeks! At that stage it's hard enough to just try to function normally - eat, sleep, concentrate at work/college. You should be proud of yourself! Just don't feel pressured into rushing things because of what people say, you have to deal with all the crap feelings eventually so I think pretending you're over it now just delays having to deal with all the hard stuff.
    dolliemix wrote: »

Oh God that 'any news' crap is so annoying and really insensitive as well! It actually makes you feel fifty times worse cos you have to go 'no - (nobody wants me)' :D:D

+ 1 million!

• Advertisement

Faith wrote:
    Abitar wrote: »
    Am I reading this right.. ? you broke up with someone three weeks ago, and people are on your case about it? :eek:

If so I don't know how you have lost all reason with whoever said that, very insensitive tbh :/
    Exactly. When the people you expect to be on the level with you jump at you and push you it's very disheartening indeed. Sometimes you may even have to take a step back and ask why they're acting in such a way and re-evaluate the type of person they are.

That must have been so incredibly lonely.

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger :D

Rawr!
    Don't hurt me.
    :p

Or cripples you.

Or cripples you.
    Only temporarily. We can all burrow within ourselves to find strength to pull through emotional turmoil. Whether that strength come from people online, friends, family, your own confidence etc it can make things a lot easier than having no strength at all. That's why this website is brilliant. You can find numerous good hearted people willing to help you out, should you choose to give them the chance of course.

I have a love / hate relationship with this saying. It seems to be a nice thing to say, and it seems like it makes perfect sense to say to someone, but its shit to hear back when you're in the hot seat :/

I'd never use it.
    Exactly. When the people you expect to be on the level with you jump at you and push you it's very disheartening indeed.
    At which point they should be warned off nicely to back off.
    Sometimes you may even have to take a step back and ask why they're acting in such a way and re-evaluate the type of person they are.

While I can understand your point, it can be quite tempting to give 'helpful' friends a right dressing down. I think a back-off warning is best, because at the end of the day when you break up with someone you do need to ensure you maintain a good social life and be near your friends, regardless of how unappealing getting back on the single scene is.

It could be that these 'unhelpful' friends care a lot, and hate to see their friend suffering. Saying the right thing doesn't come naturally to some, but it doesn't mean they don't care. That said it would be nice to not have to listen to some recylcled lines when you feel like shit.

If I was Faith I would have nipped that in the bud from the get go, and nicely told them that they weren't helping.

Abitar wrote: »
    I have a love / hate relationship with this saying. It makes perfect sense when you're saying it to someone else, and not suffering yourself. But its bloody useless when you are! 0/

It worked for me :D I used to hate it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

I never post here usually in AH but anyway about 4 weeks ago now my girlfriend of four years, five years in July, sent me a txt message while in work stating that
    "she doesn't want to be in a realationship anymore"

and that was it, we didnt have an argument/ everything was going great as far as I was concerned.
    But anyway my real problem is that she will not talk to me since that day, no phone calls, no txts, nothing. So basically now ppl are just saying to me
    "forget about her man, all you need is another burd to ride"

and I think thats the last thing I need, i feel like i won't be able to get over her without actually talking to her about it, what do ye think?

bazmaiden wrote: »
    "forget about her man, all you need is another burd to ride"
    This. I fúcking hate this attitude!
    and I think thats the last thing I need, i feel like i won't be able to get over her without actually talking to her about it, what do ye think?
    Definitely talk to her to sort yourself some closure first. It's the big things that do it. Feck the calls and texts. Just arrive at her house and tell her you just need to talk so you can understand why she finished it the way she did.

I'd be confident in saying she's really hurt by the breakup and in blanking you she's hoping the pain will go away quicker. I'm pretty sure she's hurting just as much as you are right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

I'd be confident in saying she's really hurt by the breakup and in blanking you she's hoping the pain will go away quicker. I'm pretty sure she's hurting just as much as you are right now.

well thanks for the reply man but i dont think this is the case, speaking to one of her friends about 2 days ago who hinted that that she is with someone else now.

I just understand after being together so long and become best friends that she won't even talk to me, and i've had enough of trying to call and her hanging up,

anyway im turning this into a P.I issue now sorry but thats for the advice

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement