Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long did it take you to get over ex

Options
  • 07-04-2010 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

i was in a long long relationship, and for a number of reasons a couple of months ago we broke up. on top of different factors, things just seemed to have run their course. we were not married, but living together for a number of years, no kids.
    problem is, couple of months later and i still cant get over it. i realise the things that annoyed me about him, i loved. i miss the company something terrible. feel so bloody lonely. i still find myself getting tearful quite a bit. not really having much contact with him, which i dont know if this is causing me to be more hurt, or is probably better not to have contact.
    anyway im just wondering, in your experience, how long did u feel sh** for?? i swear, would love to wave a magic wand and just 'be over it'. will admit, i am getting slightly better, but couple months later thought i should have been at least not getting as tearful. just wondering about other peoples experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Hi EmeraldGreen,
    Firstly I am sorry to hear that you are hurting so much and I know it seems like a cliche but time is a great healer. I was with my ex for a number of years, I loved him more than I thought I could love anyone, he was my soulmate...or so I thought....things turned very sour for a number of reasons and he left me for someone else. He'd been cheating on me throughout our relationship....but there was much more crap involved.

When it ended it felt like the bottom of my world had been pulled away and I struggled to see how I would ever be back to myself again, how I would ever feel normal again while he seemed to be fine. I felt like you do now, lonely, cried so much I physically couldn't anymore, couldn't eat, sleep etc...it was a dark time but gradually I started to feel better...I can't pinpoint when that happened, cerrtainly wasn't overnight but it did happen! It wasn't easy, everyone's different in how they cope with things but it tool me the guts of a year to begin to feel like the person I was before I met him. The hardest part for me was just not having him around even though I still loved him but that too fades.

You will get through it believe me :) Just do whatever it takes to look after yourself...counselling, exercise...whatever...different things for different people!

It will happen and you'll wonder why you ever felt like this in the first place xxx

Good luck x If you need someone to chat to don't hesitate to pm me ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I think a couple of months isn't very long to give yourself.

It took me a year to get over a heartbreak, and it left scars.

Don't let the fact that you're lonely make you double think and settle for something you shouldn't, rather than face being alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

i was in a long long relationship, and for a number of reasons a couple of months ago we broke up. on top of different factors, things just seemed to have run their course. we were not married, but living together for a number of years, no kids.
    problem is, couple of months later and i still cant get over it. i realise the things that annoyed me about him, i loved. i miss the company something terrible. feel so bloody lonely. i still find myself getting tearful quite a bit. not really having much contact with him, which i dont know if this is causing me to be more hurt, or is probably better not to have contact.
    anyway im just wondering, in your experience, how long did u feel sh** for?? i swear, would love to wave a magic wand and just 'be over it'. will admit, i am getting slightly better, but couple months later thought i should have been at least not getting as tearful. just wondering about other peoples experiences?

Sorry to hear about your split, but you do need to give yourself some time. You say you with you were with your ex a very long time, well you have to realise that this is not going to be an easy void to fill. I know its going to sound like a very strange analogy, but its how I visualise people getting over LTR's ...if you can imagine if you've just had a molar removed.. and for some time it leaves a big gap, but it does eventually close up.. Told you it was weird.. but hope it makes some kind of sense :o

Theres no magic wand. Only you and time will lessen the pain. When you spend a long time with someone, you're not just with someone... your lives merge and you become part of every part of each others lives. What you need to do is to start re-forming one of your own again. Make sure you keep yourself busy and get out with friends as much as you can. As unappealing as that might sound, you have to make changes for yourself.

I'm the one that ended things with my ex, but because I thought it ran its course and he wanted me to be something I'm not. Hes far from over us, and I guess behind the jealousy and invasiveness in my life, I suppose he just has no direction because we spent so much time together before.

I think thats key here.. you need a direction - of your own, because the one you had before had him in it. If I were you I'd look into all kinds of aims / goals / interests you have at the back of your mind, and try for as many of them as possible. I left my job for full time college, and the friends I've made... love them all! You mightnt be in a position to do that, but think of other ways in which to create a friends pool / life thats just yours.

You've a bit of a journey ahead of you, but find a little bit of fight and I'm sure soon you will feel like a strong independant woman, ready for whatever the world has to throw at you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I feel like a total bitch for saying that I was pleased (perhaps too strong a word) to see your thread OP because it is just how I feel and its good to know I'm not alone in experiencing this. I broke up with my boyfriend last November/December after ten and a half years together, six of which we lived together. There had been about two years of "we will get married ........soon, I love you more than anyone........I want to spend the rest of my life with you I'm just not ready to get married yet.......maybe next year"........and on and on it went. I loved him so much I turned myself in etc etc etc. We did the counselling thing and everything and while in the end he said yes to getting married I knew it side out for him, waiting and being patientwasn't right and ended it.
    At first I was hyper ok, got together with this other guy twice which was weird and I think my situation freaked him out. Then Christmas came, he got together with someone else which, although I didn't want to be in a relationship with the new guy, shook me because it was another guy who didn't want me. I papered over the the cracks and tried to carry on but lately I've just fallen to bits and I can't believe it and how its snuck up on me.
    It was triggered by a work situation where I was promised a big promotion and a nice pay rise that would go along with that. Now it turns out the promotion isn't as straight forward as it seemed and even though I'm still in line for it there will be a pay cut implemented soon and I'm going to be down €200 min after tax and now on top of everything I've got money worries as I'm still living in the house we shared together.
    I'm crying at the drop of a hat and feel like a zombie and although the rational part of my brain sees me as an accomplished, clever, fit, healthy, attractive, 32 year old woman I feel shattered inside. I wonder how on earth I'm ever going to trust my own judgement in any man ever again. I was with one guy whose love I trusted in and yet somehow I wasn't enough for him and ..................well just where the hell do I go from here.
    OP maybe we should set up an "Amputated Souls Club". Ten years was a lifetime and I never ever saw us apart and never prepared for it. :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dirwin2

I know this sounds bad but im now engaged to be married - been in this relationship for last 6 years but I havent still got over my previous partner - however i know my ex and I would never have worked out - i still think alot about what could have been.

• Advertisement

dirwin2 wrote: »
    I know this sounds bad but im now engaged to be married - been in this relationship for last 6 years but I havent still got over my previous partner - however i know my ex and I would never have worked out - i still think alot about what could have been.

No it doesn't sound bad so don'tbe too hard on yourself ok, I can understand where you are coming from. You know that it would never have worked out with your ex so you did what was best for you in the long run :) When someone is a major part of your life for a long time it's hard to totally forget about them, you made a connection with them, you share memories and experiences good and bad, you're not a robot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Sorry to read that there are a few going through the mill at the moment :(

When I split from my ex, it took a long time to get over it. For me personally, it felt like a huge loss, as if a loved one had died (this may sound dramatic), but that is how it was for me. I'd go from feeling angry about the split, both at myself and at him, then Id find myself in tears, Id tell myself I didnt care, that I was over it, and then Id get that big ol slap in the face out of nowhere and I felt like I was back at square one, going through it all, all over again, swinging from one feeling to another, but over time, I came to realise and accept, that it was a huge loss in my life and that it was okay to feel the way I did, and allowed myself to feel it, and not kick myself for not being able to move on as quickly as some might have. Its different for everyone. I took my time to grieve the loss, didnt rush into anything new, leaned on a couple of friends if I needed to, as they said to me, "thats what we are here for"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

dirwin2 wrote: »

That is called 'settling'. You know how you feel but the person you're engaged to doesn't, not really fair. As much as it might hurt them at the moment, I think you should get out. Knowingly going into a marraige with someone you see will only ever be your second best? Just no.

You need to press the reset button, spend some time on your own before you can move on with someone new. Not being over someone and going into a marraige is going to be an expensive and messy disaster for you to get out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

About 4 months!

Thing is it was more of a time apart from each other due to change of geographical location causing all sorts of complications, but it was never going to happen as we both have different directions on life.

It is hard to get over the fact that the person whom you seen and talked to all the time is not around and you think that they were all that you had. But ya move on and it gets easier. Someone will come around eventually that will rock your world again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

A few months and I'm good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Still not over my last ex really, it's been about 10 months or so. Pretty much feel the same as the OP at times, thankfully it isn't all the time like it used to be. It's getting easier as time goes on of course, I just can't see myself being completely unaffected by it for a long while now. I keep thinking about how it could have been if I did "X" or said "Y", some bad feelings re-surface every now and again so it's like a circle. It's definately left scars, I know that for sure. That's life I suppose, goes well in some ways but f*cks you over in others !

Love is a bitch !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

We broke up (I did the finishing) hoping he would sort himself out, 3 weeks later he was dead! Thats 2 years ago and Im still struggling and have never "dated" anyone since!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

some people say it takes at least half the time you were together to get over someone. it took me longer. but im finally getting there. didnt think i ever would, thought i would feel the pain forever, but it slowly fades, and 1 day you realise "hey, i cant really remember what it is about him i was actually missing".

everyone does it in their own time though, everyones different, just like every relationship is different.

jellie wrote: »
    some people say it takes at least half the time you were together to get over someone. it took me longer. but im finally getting there. didnt think i ever would, thought i would feel the pain forever, but it slowly fades, and 1 day you realise "hey, i cant really remember what it is about him i was actually missing".

everyone does it in their own time though, everyones different, just like every relationship is different.

Jesus! Thats 5 years more for me so. 5 more years of this is not on my agenda. Love sucks, there you go, opening yourself up to someone, get dumped on and left alone with your bleeding heart. Fabulous. :(

We broke up (I did the finishing) hoping he would sort himself out, 3 weeks later he was dead! Thats 2 years ago and Im still struggling and have never "dated" anyone since!

Bloody hell:eek: Poor you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Really sorry to hear that, Lala :( *huge hugs*

Thanks guys, it will take some man to fill his shoes :)

I feel like us girls should get together for a drinks and mutual moral support session. ..........am half joking and half serious??????

I feel like us girls should get together for a drinks and mutual moral support session. ..........am half joking and half serious??????

Come on over to the Find a friend chat thread - we meet up :D

Come on over to the Find a friend chat thread - we meet up :D

I think I will. I need new people in my life. I have the most amazing family who have been brilliant though all of this with me but they are flummoxed at the moment. What I need is the company of some people who have been here as you (other unfortunate souls) seem to be/have been. All of my friends are either married or in long term relationships and just don't get this........heading over to Find a Friend, is it in the LL forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Jesus! Thats 5 years more for me so. 5 more years of this is not on my agenda. Love sucks, there you go, opening yourself up to someone, get dumped on and left alone with your bleeding heart. Fabulous. :(

i had that fcuking hell that long?! reaction too. though in my case it was a 2yr relationship, and i was thinking omg how can it take a year. turns out it took longer (due to a lot of messiness in the mean time)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

I think I will. I need new people in my life. I have the most amazing family who have been brilliant though all of this with me but they are flummoxed at the moment. What I need is the company of some people who have been here as you (other unfortunate souls) seem to be/have been. All of my friends are either married or in long term relationships and just don't get this........heading over to Find a Friend, is it in the LL forum?

I know how you feel, I also had a break up a few months ago after 6 years and people have been fantastic but would love to meet new people too.

Yes it's in the Ladies Lounge, introduce yourself on the find a friend thread and then join the chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I broke up with my ex in January. We were due to get married this October.
    As a result ive moved to a whole new area, and dont really know anyone.
    I understand how you feel. I feel really tearful still, and what makes it worse whenever i feel upset i ring him, and he has to comfort me!!!

Abitar wrote: »
    That is called 'settling'. You know how you feel but the person you're engaged to doesn't, not really fair. As much as it might hurt them at the moment, I think you should get out. Knowingly going into a marraige with someone you see will only ever be your second best? Just no.

You need to press the reset button, spend some time on your own before you can move on with someone new. Not being over someone and going into a marraige is going to be an expensive and messy disaster for you to get out of.

I agree, while you can't help the way you feel and you shouldn't beat yourself up about it it is not fair on your OH. Everyone deserves to be with someone that worships the ground they walk on.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Still not over my last ex really, it's been about 10 months or so. Pretty much feel the same as the OP at times, thankfully it isn't all the time like it used to be. It's getting easier as time goes on of course, I just can't see myself being completely unaffected by it for a long while now. I keep thinking about how it could have been if I did "X" or said "Y", some bad feelings re-surface every now and again so it's like a circle. It's definately left scars, I know that for sure. That's life I suppose, goes well in some ways but f*cks you over in others !

Love is a bitch !

I hear ya! It definitely does leave scars and as hard as I try not to I have issues with trusting men now because of what happened to me. I think I'm fine but the whole thing changed me if I'm being honest. I've built so many walls around me it's going to take someone with a lot of patience and tenderness to knock them down and I'm not sure if I'll ever find that.

Love is a bitch :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

gagiteebo wrote: »
    I think I'm fine but the whole thing changed me if I'm being honest. I've built so many walls around me it's going to take someone with a lot of patience and tenderness to knock them down and I'm not sure if I'll ever find that.

Love is a bitch :mad:

I'm the same in that sense, I feel changed because of it. Get really scared at the thought of trusting someone like that again, it will happen at some point again of course. Everyone says they'll never find it after the last time but they do eventually ! And you will too !

I'm the same in that sense, I feel changed because of it. Get really scared at the thought of trusting someone like that again, it will happen at some point again of course. Everyone says they'll never find it after the last time but they do eventually ! And you will too !

Thanks Pyro :D Here's hoping we both find someone deserving of us eh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I really hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Three and a half years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Nearly 4 years....and still counting!

And I still haven't been able to commit to a new relationship even though people have tried.
    Most I lasted was about 3 or 4 dates and then I disappeared from their lives! Now I seem to be in the phase of one kiss and I've legged it out the door away from them :/

I do actually believe I will fall in love again just haven't a clue when it will happen but need to get my own head sorted big time.

We were both unprepared for the whole love thing and it screwed us over in the end. We were both in the wrong many times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement