Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

weathor wrote: »
    hi my first post
    best forecasts here
    :D
    :o
    :)
    nice link.thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

weathor wrote: »
    hi my first post
    best forecasts here
    :D
    :o
    :)
    nope ,best forecasts here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=52t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Thanks. I'm assuming 1.6mm per hour is a lot given the flood predictions!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Temp has dropped to -1.5 from -1 in last half hour. Overcast at the moment. The breeze has picked up again from the ESE. I am not being smart now but there is the most unsettling atmosphere outside. There is a low, deep groan/hum outside that I have never heard before to the SW. I live in an isolated area and this noise has been ongoing for the past hour. I thought it may have been a plane initially.

Before the unendingly sidesplittingly hilarious replies come in to this post,does anyone know what this could be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Thanks. I'm assuming 1.6mm per hour is a lot given the flood predictions!

1.6? No, but 16 would be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

1.5c and rising, the thaw is starting . Lots of water dripping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Temp has dropped to -1.5 from -1 in last half hour. Overcast at the moment. The breeze has picked up again from the ESE. I am not being smart now but there is the most unsettling atmosphere outside. There is a low, deep groan/hum outside that I have never heard before to the SW. I live in an isolated area and this noise has been ongoing for the past hour. I thought it may have been a plane initially.

Before the unendingly sidesplittingly hilarious replies come in to this post,does anyone know what this could be?

Possibly wind blowing against or through something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It's Iris Robinson and Jackie Healey Ray. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Could be ice on a lake breaking up maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

could be martin cullen flying over, did a door fall outside,,,,,,

hoody wrote: »
    Could be ice on a lake breaking up maybe?
    No. it's a constant low rumbling noise. Most unnerving.

For those who know me I like to pull the piss but I am serious about this. There is forestry about half mile away from me but it is not the wind causing it there I am positive.

I am not being smart now but there is the most unsettling atmosphere outside.

The change in air pressure is known to have an affect on the mind/body. Maybe thats what you are sensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

No. it's a constant low rumbling noise. Most unnerving.

For those who know me I like to pull the piss but I am serious about this. There is forestry about half mile away from me but it is not the wind causing it there I am positive.

A Forestry Wolfe! Have you ever seen Texas Chain Saw Massacre? That sounds like a chainsaw to me. :eek:

On a serious note it could be an electricty pylon in the vicinity, I have heard them make that noise before, and the sound carries with precip in the air.

The change in air pressure is known to have an affect on the mind/body. Maybe thats what you are sensing.
    I am fine inside. Just asked my wife and she can hear it too. Sorry to be sounding so odd. Going to try and see if i can pick it up on my minidisc recorder.

It's almost like a forewarning of a deadly storm ahead.

Ps...and no i have not been drinking.

snow ghost wrote: »
    A Forestry Wolfe! Have you ever seen Texas Chain Saw Massacre? That sounds like a chainsaw to me. :eek:

On a serious note it could be an electricty pylon in the vicinity, I have heard them make that noise before, and the sound carries with precip in the air.
    there are pylons coming from moneypoint about a mile west of me northwards. That is well spotted snow. It could very well be that. Although I have never heard it before and pylons have been in place since the early eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Wow, I live a long way from you on foothills of Dublin mountain's and I've dimmed the tv several times because I hear a low rumbling sound that I thought was a plane too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

How far are you from the sea ?

mad DIY wrote: »
    How far are you from the sea ?
    9 miles from the atlantic. Winds are coming from opposite direction though but this is still overriding all noises that wind is making through trees etc.

edit...the other side of a mountain from the sea and surrounded by hills to my south, west and north.

there are pylons coming from moneypoint about a mile west of me northwards. That is well spotted snow. It could very well be that. Although I have never heard it before and pylons have been in place since the early eighties.

Any wind turbines around maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78QwBM_AD3s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

sounds creepy!
    I'm about 4 miles from miltown towards inagh - stepped outside and sat into the car for an evening cigarette -2 degres on the car sensor - hard to imagine rain and lots of it may be coming.
    It is eerily calm but no real strange noises though....

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

I am fine inside. Just asked my wife and she can hear it too. Sorry to be sounding so odd. Going to try and see if i can pick it up on my minidisc recorder.

It's almost like a forewarning of a deadly storm ahead.

Ps...and no i have not been drinking.

im well intrested in what it is now hope u can get a recording.

if u dont post for over 12 hours we know it was not the wind:D and something eles darker and badder :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

9 miles from the atlantic. Winds are coming from opposite direction though but this is still overriding all noises that wind is making through trees etc.

edit...the other side of a mountain from the sea and surrounded by hills to my south, west and north.

Feck sake, I was about to go to bed... now I want to know what the story is with this noise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

mothel wrote: »
    Wow, I live a long way from you on foothills of Dublin mountain's and I've dimmed the tv several times because I hear a low rumbling sound that I thought was a plane too

Ive just logged in & not whipping piss.. I thought it was the boiler so turned heating off but its still there.. Like a car engine... There is an ESB plant/station right behind my back wall & it appears to be coming from there

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

it maybe signs of a fierce storm on the way who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Only other thing I can think of would be a car with one of those boy racer loud exhausts parked up somewhere with the engine running.

Really rapidly moving system...

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Also a few echos just starting to pop up on the limits of the range of the radar.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The other night was the first time I have heard the turbines over from me. Seems it was simply down to windspeed and direction, any faster and the noise would have distorted.

Was a clear frosty night, like I said, in 4 years of them being up it is the only time I have heard them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I think we're all just spending too much time on the weather forum.;)

internet_addict1.jpg
    F5,F5,F5 :D

• Advertisement

jasperok wrote: »
    sounds creepy!
    I'm about 4 miles from miltown towards inagh - stepped outside and sat into the car for an evening cigarette -2 degres on the car sensor - hard to imagine rain and lots of it may be coming.
    It is eerily calm but no real strange noises though....
    hi jas....i am between The Hand and Connolly.

Maquiladora. Wind Turbines about 3 miles to the west. Great suggestion.However, noise is coming from SW. Could be echoing of the hills of course but it is a constant, low and eeire sound.

Advertisement