Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Switched off pc and thought I would have one last check on my phone here before signing off. Now I ain't going anywhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    there are pylons coming from moneypoint about a mile west of me northwards. That is well spotted snow. It could very well be that. Although I have never heard it before and pylons have been in place since the early eighties.

You'd be suprised wolfe, sometimes those pylons hum away... I used to walk past one at night and I'd usually notice it humming on a damp drizzly night. Don't know why, maybe the damp? Maybe electricity usage?

If it starts huming a tune be afarid, very afraid. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

mad DIY wrote: »
    Edit: Or, as you say in your edit you are surrounded by hills, then maybe it is the sound of waves crashing off the shore 9 miles away being reflected off the hills.

that is what i am leaning towards. Thanks guys and sorry for the wacky input from me.

gonna record it now

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

In true forum fashion and against my better judgement, thought I would have a wee listen at my back door for this noise...guess what....it's chuffing freezing out there. Not doing that again!

All joking aside, it's a weird one you got there wolfe! V.interested to know what it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

WolfeIre,

Do you remember the whistling bridge in Limerick (Shannon Bridge). Is there any chance that its the wind blowing through or even OVER something thats causing the sound. You know the way you can get a low noise if you blow over a glass with water in it (bit like playing a concert flute, if you played one, which I don't!!)

I'm on your side of Limerick, actually went out to listen for any noise. Couldn't hear anything.

I do remember a low rumble though, during the bad storm of January 2007.

Do you have animals? Are they behaving strangely? Usually animals sense things. Our doggie has gone to bed without any ado.

Other than that, given that both you and Jenzz are near power stations, any chance its extra output from them because of the serious demand for power?

• Advertisement

For ne the last dozen or so posts have been the best of the day :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

*grabs popcorn and waits for next dramatic twist in plot*

ooooh this is getting good.

Only other thing I can think of is that it could be a helicopter in the distance, the noise off them carries for miles... mountain or sea rescue going on perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

mothel wrote: »
    Wow, I live a long way from you on foothills of Dublin mountain's and I've dimmed the tv several times because I hear a low rumbling sound that I thought was a plane too

I heard that about an hour ago, thought it was distant thunder

snow ghost wrote: »
    Only other thing I can think of is that it could be a helicopter in the distance, the noise off them carries for miles... mountain or sea rescue going on perhaps?
    Haha. just texted a friend of mine about that as he would know. Def not that. This has been going on since around half ten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Bicycle wrote: »
    WolfeIre,

Do you remember the whistling bridge in Limerick (Shannon Bridge). Is there any chance that its the wind blowing through or even OVER something thats causing the sound. You know the way you can get a low noise if you blow over a glass with water in it (bit like playing a concert flute, if you played one, which I don't!!)

I'm on your side of Limerick, actually went out to listen for any noise. Couldn't hear anything.

Do you have animals? Are they behaving strangely? Usually animals sense things. Our doggie has gone to bed without any ado.

Other than that, given that both you and Jenzz are near power stations, any chance its extra output from them because of the serious demand for power?

Could be or else the feckin thing is about to blow up & ill never get to tell you that tomorrowas rain turned into 1982 part deux......:D

I too went out for a listen and I am at the other end of the country. Strange night out. Almost a sense of foreboding about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

that is what i am leaning towards. Thanks guys and sorry for the wacky input from me.

gonna record it now

Ha ! I just removed my edit because I realised the wind would have to be coming from the sea direction in the first place in order for the sound to reflect on the hills, and you say its going the other way :o

If people are really hearing the same sound from different places in the country, maybe we're about to have an earthquake :eek::eek: :pac:

snow ghost wrote: »

Chopper goes in & out of Ardmore studios all day long so much so I dont even hear it any more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Wolfe, this may sound funny but it's meant to be a serious answer, if you have forestry lots nearby, perhaps they are recycling Christmas trees in a wood chipper like they do here, I know they take them to forestry lots in some parts of Canada to be reduced to small particles that are then used in some kind of industrial process. This would be the week for it, but I don't know if people dump old trees off at depots there, or even like in some towns here there's a scheduled day for pick-up by the recycling part of what we call garbage and you call whatever (rubbish in the UK, I don't know if you have another name for it, now don't be saying weather forecasts ;) _)

CH with the numbers seems to have vanished, perhaps he has gone out to check for an avalanche. I imagine we'll have some real weather to talk about in about two hours, the one thing relevant to the weather discussion is this, I've been watching Wales and Cornwall for any signs of winds turning more east or lower dew points, any sort of warning signs that the system will implode (cold air drilling into eastern Ireland) and so far, nothing too startling. The difference in '82, from what I can see on the maps from then, is that there is no super-cold air banked up over the UK to push a front back west, it looks like it's on the ropes and down for the count. I'm more concerned about my UK forecast busting the other way around (rain where I've predicted snow).

WolfeIre,

yep Little mini-yorkie but shes in heat all week so we dont trust her no more.....:D:D

WolfeIre,

Thanks Bicycle. Well that cat got its head stuck in a can of whiskas an hour ago. But I think that was more down to misadventure than my banshee. I heard about the limerick bridge before too. Keep in mind that SW winds are common where i am. I have never heard this before. It is getting more intense too.

My Dad who lives nearby has just confirmed that I am not going loo la. He hears it too. He thinks its the sea churning up too but has not heard the noise before.

*Wolfe making sure the back door is locked*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

hi jas....i am between The Hand and Connolly.

Maquiladora. Wind Turbines about 3 miles to the west. Great suggestion.However, noise is coming from SW. Could be echoing of the hills of course but it is a constant, low and eeire sound.
    could it be the wind blowing through a fence or over head wires? we live next to a football pitch and there is a big net at one side to stop the ball going onto main road it makes a weird noise when the wind is very strong...

Dam.... No has posted for 5 mins. U all sti there????

wushu wrote: »
    could it be the wind blowing through a fence or over head wires? we live next to a football pitch and there is a big net at one side to stop the ball going onto main road it makes a weird noise when the wind is very strong...
    I am surrounded by bogland beyond a line of trees to my west and SW in my garden. I walked to the tree line and the sound was most certainly a distant grumbling, muffled noise.

MT, we don;t recycle trees here. We throw them in ditches.;) Well...we do recycle trees but not anywhere near me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

have u got a clip yet. :cool:

i would say its the sound of the storm coming. we hear it a lot when theres a storm coming sounds like something out of the film the never endding story

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

it looks like it's on the ropes and down for the count.

img-rocky-iv_104433396071.jpg

Many fights have looked improbable. Come on the underdog show us what your made of one more time :pac:

Opr

Anyone remember that song by Kate Bush... The Hounds of Love?

It starts with the opening lines from a 1950's horror movie - "IT'S IN THE TREE'S... IT'S COMING"

Waiting to see what ghostly occurance befalls poor oul Wolfe is better than waiting for the snow! :):):)

Now I'm going out to have a listen, if I can hear it from here it might be a tsunami. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Good night everyone, please stay safe. Off to bed with a husband and two hot water bottles :P

And Wolfe - please post in tomorrow am. Please let us know you haven't been abducted by aliens (or students or whatever ;))

Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Wolf, i grew up by the sea so for what it's worth i would guess if you're near it you can hear it. If there's a storm coming the water will be choppy now.

I started to write a post there but deleted it cause I was kinda freaking myself out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

3hr-rain.gif

Rainbow of rain on the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Wolfe - I remember staying in a cottage up a hill in early January a good few years ago when there was a full on force 11 storm. At about this time in the late evening, we heard a loud humming sound like an express train which just went on and on. A little investigation revealed that the rising main was vibrating like mad, this thing was really hopping. It went on for about half an hour and then stopped. I have no idea why it happened, but maybe your water main is vibrating ? Jeez yes I know how mad that sounds:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

hey guys when is this storm supposed to hit land, im living in limerick.

• Advertisement

Not a sound outside here.

But there was a strange dull diffussed light on the horizon coming from the Atlantic, never seen that before, looked spooky.

Advertisement