Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Sky supplies it's customers in the Republic with BBC NI.

sky! do you get that there didnt know that!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ok let's get back on topic :)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

owenc wrote: »
    sky! do you get that there didnt know that!:eek:

Yes, we even have microwaves down here now, and dem Apple Pod things. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ok let's get back on topic :)

i think you're right! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Will be very windy in coastal Kerry in about 8 hours...

ukwind.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

yes, it would be handy if we didn't need cold weather for snow. i wonder is there a parallel universe where snow falls at 15 degrees celsius???
    yes...a rock star's nostrils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Sky giving heavy snow for central Ireland tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

hotwhiskey wrote: »

its unlikely this front will stall with the strong winds? per gerry murphy seems to be passing through relatively quickly.

I think the graphics they use are low resolution when it comes to looking for detail, there might be snow in some parts tomorrow but their graphics might be making it look like it extends over a wider area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ok. How much in cm could fall in one location given the perfect condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

There usually fairly spot on but I cant see it on a widespread scale
    Favoured spots should see some towards the east midlands, but should only be a transitional affair. Could lie there for a little bit though
    Freezing rain far far more likely imo

By the way still starry skies here, would have thought the cloud would be here by now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I think I could get quite a bit of snow from this, on the Tuesday in particular. At the moment there is about 7 inches of snow and my ice sculpures are still untouched.

800 ft up from 3c in town, I reckon I'll have more snow tomorrow.

Intense colours
    3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

By the way my water pipes froze today, the bleedin last day of the cold spell:mad:
    On top of falling and breaking my wrist before Christmas I think I'll break open the champers waving goodbye to this cold spell.
    It was more an icy spell than snowy and was rather lethal on footpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

For what it's worth (possibly less than minimum wage :)) to all snow lovers out there, in my experience, the biggest snow falls always came out of the blue in scenarios like the one we have now approaching us... usually after a forecast for heavy rain.

Heavy rain would start and then turn to sleet then the heaviest snow ever... puddles of rain water would be engulfed within minutes of settling pure powdery snow - white out!

Mother Nature likes to flirt and she has been flashing a bit of leg at us for the past few weeks, tomorrow could well be the day when she strips off. :eek:

ch750536 wrote: »
    I think I could get quite a bit of snow from this, on the Tuesday in particular. At the moment there is about 7 inches of snow and my ice sculpures are still untouched.

800 ft up from 3c in town, I reckon I'll have more snow tomorrow.

Me too ch750...... Any time you have seen snow so have I. I have a paltry 5-6 inches of snow still:p:p

It's -1c here. Very stiff easterly breeze. Overcast all day (that cold mist that descends on high ground afetr heavy snow). Unless there is a rapid rise in temps before this precip hits I am sure it will snow here for a while too. The uppers are marginal for us though so fingers crossed. By the way, I think it will start as sleet then turn to snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Intense colours
    3hr-rain.gif

Someone was very busy on their colour by numbers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

anybody's water knocked off around dublin at the moment?

snow ghost wrote: »
    Mother Nature likes to flirt and she has been flashing a bit of leg at us for the past few weeks, tomorrow could well be the day when she strips off. :eek:

I think I saw this Mother Nature in the Queens niteclub last weekend. Dirty minx.

Isn't that how the 1982 snowfallc ame about. Same type set up and forecasts of heavy rain. All snow fell in 24 hrs

Ugh that precip chart brings back memories of a certain rain event not too long ago...

Im going to miss the weeks of cold, dry weather when Im going to work tomorrow. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

I think the graphics they use are low resolution when it comes to looking for detail, there might be snow in some parts tomorrow but their graphics might be making it look like it extends over a wider area.

But BBC are the same i know it not there country and all that but the have been right alot over this cold snap with only a few hicups. i was just wondering what did Jerry say did he give Snow.Thanks

chris2007 wrote: »

Are the lowlifes stealing water now??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

chris2007 wrote: »

Ok in Donaghmede, but the pressure is very low

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Me too ch750...... Any time you have seen snow so have I. I have a paltry 5-6 inches of snow still:p:p

It's -1c here. Very stiff easterly breeze. Overcast all day (that cold mist that descends on high ground afetr heavy snow). Unless there is a rapid rise in temps before this precip hits I am sure it will snow here for a while too. The uppers are marginal for us though so fingers crossed. By the way, I think it will start as sleet then turn to snow.

This winter for me has been...

Marginal event = 3cm snow
    Probable event = 7 inches
    Probable event = 4 inches

Every possible event has occured for me this winter with 3 snow events. Compared to last year where we hit 2 out of 6.

Also, just walking around, the air is really cold. I know the facts tell me things are warmer but the thaw was really mild here, only a small section of the roof, nothing underfoot.

Birds etc still missing today, they normally venture out once an event passes. ;)

Check out MTs forecast update.

ch750536 wrote: »
    This winter for me has been...

Marginal event = 3cm snow
    Probable event = 7 inches
    Probable event = 4 inches

Every possible event has occured for me this winter with 3 snow events. Compared to last year where we hit 2 out of 6.

Also, just walking around, the air is really cold. I know the facts tell me things are warmer but the thaw was really mild here, only a small section of the roof, nothing underfoot.

Birds etc still missing today, they normally venture out once an event passes. ;)

exact same here. Somewhat of a thaw on roof and trees but ground looks the same as it did this morn. Had a ciggy outside there and i could sense that another snow event is on the cards. In the words of the Donegal Postman:

'My wee nostrils filled up with a cold air,
    As the fox played the flute for the hare,
    The ground sparkled with snow so white,
    As the cow bent back to have a ....."

Ok he didn't say that but i have a good feeling about early tomorrow morn.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

snow ghost wrote: »

could you PLEASE write an erotic novel for us next? :o

But BBC are the same i know it not there country and all that but the have been right alot over this cold snap with only a few hicups. i was just wondering what did Jerry say did he give Snow.Thanks

I agree regarding the BBC.

And it's worth everyone considering this... most of Britains weather, like our own, comes from the Atlantic, Gulf Stream, etc... as such they have more than a passing interest in what is going to hit Ireland first (see Belmullet giving the weather report that the Brits used to initiate the D Day Landings in World War II).

They use, and share with Met Eireann, much expertise and technology.

I presume they are much better funded than Met Eireann and as such can spend more time on forecasts.

For my part of the country their model predictions are usually more accurate than Met Eireann.

Moreover, the brits still think - or like to think - the Republic is part of the UK.

So I can't understand why people would presume their predictions aren't that reliable for us. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Looks like the cold weather will end with a big fanfare.

• Advertisement

M6 buoy reporting almost 16ft waves at 10pm.

Advertisement