Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I wonder if the sound is some kind of tunng fork effect of strong winds above the surface, hitting gaps in the mountains to your south (SSE more precisely). Air is probably stable between there and your location, could be carrying such effects a long way.

I've got to admit, I've never heard of this before and despite living in mountains for a time, never heard exactly what you're describing, wind noises sure, but not this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You know it snowed the day before the Night of the Big Wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'd say it's the sea wolfe.
    Atmospheric conditions must be good for carrying sound tonight.
    I think I can hear it a bit here in Galway City hard to tell with the traffic.
    But then I'm less than a km from the sea.
    I heard it before in other places by the sea, a heavy swell can make a sound like a constant low roar off in the distance.
    You almost wouldn't recognise it at first because it doesn't sound like individual waves but instead is a constant roar/rumble
    Wind is picking up here now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

You know it snowed the day before the Night of the Big Wind.
    You hum it, I'll sing it:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

What a random page in a thread. From surreal to scary surreal.

I am sleeping with curtains open. Looking forward to some good old wind & rain. So nice not to have heating on whole night or to worry about pipes freezing. The banshee is welcome here :-):-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I wonder if the sound is some kind of tunng fork effect of strong winds above the surface, hitting gaps in the mountains to your south (SSE more precisely). Air is probably stable between there and your location, could be carrying such effects a long way.

I've got to admit, I've never heard of this before and despite living in mountains for a time, never heard exactly what you're describing, wind noises sure, but not this effect.
    yes lads. It is obviously a perfect combination of wind, atmospherics, my location but definitely not my madness. Wish people could hear the damn thing. Thanks for the advice and sorry to hijack the thread with Stephen King's 'The Noise'. I'm off to bed or maybe under it.

Chat in the morn and take care tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

wushu wrote: »
    You hum it, I'll sing it:cool:

I was just about to go to me bed and all...five more minutes...

Shhh....what was that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

google the night of the big wind in ireland people reported hearing low rumbling noises for hours before the storm hit!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Sorry..

drove up, stopped car and got out. Whatever neighbours I have must be all in bed as there was only one light in the distance. Pitch black around me.

All I could hear as i got out was the crunch of lying snow which freaked the crap out me.

held my breath and listened and the feckin noise was there (i am the other side of the forest in that pic now) to the SW. Seems like it is coming from a long way away but yet you could just reach out and touch the damn banshee. It is an intense low grumbling noise.

The fear of being eaten by something made me jump into the car. started it and door still open. tried to take off too quickly and skidded like a idiot on first rev. locked the doors and was looking all around me for mr psycho to beat the crap out of me.

home now. Noise seems like its louder again so I probably brought the feckin yoke home with me.

I am a rational person but this has just freaked me. I know imagination can play trick with you but the noise is just there. I can hear the damn thing out my window now.

sorry to annoy. it must be that it's a big bad bugger of a storm tearing the tail out of the atlantic. :confused:

Wolfe, those eerrie Wolfe 'tones' you can hear must be the storm brewing in the Atlantic, going by everything that's been ruled out.

I remember some of the old people telling me about how the Atlantic would bubble up and stew like a boiling pot before some of the worst storms they ever experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    What a random page in a thread. From surreal to scary surreal.

I am sleeping with curtains open. Looking forward to some good old wind & rain. So nice not to have heating on whole night or to worry about pipes freezing. The banshee is welcome here :-):-)

I don't have curtains...
    I think some painkillers and a pair of earplugs are on the cards for me right now... wind has picked up here - whistling down the chimneys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

Some chances of snow for east and north,northwest

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/gfs/18_15_uksnow.png
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Oh and this is my first post so hello good people (:

Actually there is mention of sound travelling great distances on the day before the 1839 storm in the introduction to Peter Carrs 1993 Book "Night of the Big Wind"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Big_Wind:eek:
    Meteorological Situation

The storm developed after a period of unusual weather. Heavy snow, rare in Ireland, fell across the country on the night of January 5, which was replaced on the morning of January 6 by an Atlantic warm front, which brought a period of complete calm with dense, motionless, cloud cover. Through the day, temperatures rose well above their seasonal average, resulting in rapid melting of the snow.

During daytime on the 6th, a deep Atlantic depression began to move towards Ireland, creating a cold front when it collided with the warm air over land, bringing strong winds and heavy rain. First reports of stormy weather came from western County Mayo around noon, and the storm moved very slowly across the island through the day, gathering strength as it moved.

By midnight the winds reached hurricane force. Contemporary accounts of damage indicate that the Night of the Big Wind was the most severe storm to impact on Ireland for many centuries. It is estimated that between 250 and 300 people lost their lives in the storm. Severe property damage was caused, particularly in Connacht, but also in Ulster and northern Leinster. Between a fifth and a quarter of all houses in Dublin suffered damage ranging from broken windows to complete destruction.[2] Much of the inland damage was caused by the storm depositing large quantities of sea water inland, resulting in widespread flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

it looks like there is gonna be snow/sleet for a time... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭quercus

an account from the night of the big wind describing a rumbling sound!!!!!

It was about nine o'clock that a westerly breeze sprang up and was greeted with a sigh of relief by many people. However, the breeze continued to freshen and by ten thirty it was blowing a high gale and continued to still increase in power until it reached tornado proportions. Depending on the position of the town or village the tornado, for that was what it was, struck with varying ferocity, in some towns it approached with a rumbling sound and in others there was no warning until the houses commenced to shake with the force of the wind. People who had gone to bed awoke with the sound and the vibrations and got out of bed and dressed as quickly as they could. Most went into the streets or fields to get away from falling buildings. In the latter part of the midlands where there was no mountain or hill to break the force of the wind, roofs were blown off houses and out buildings were lifted from the ground and in many cases found over a mile away. Church steeples and high buildings were especially vulnerable, as were haystacks and stacks of corn. In some parts wind used to stop for as much as two or three minutes, then come again with increased force.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You read my mind.. Ear plugs I mean...

And curtains also.
    I don't have curtains...
    I think some painkillers and a pair of earplugs are on the cards for me right now... wind has picked up here - whistling down the chimneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

it looks like there is gonna be snow/sleet for a time... :D

Isn't the major problem that the front is very fast moving so any snow will be very short lived ? This puppy looks like a doozy of a front and as MT said our boy is currently on the ropes reeling from his last encounter so unless he get up and dusts himself off pretty quick we are gonna get another hugely hyped fight that doesn't go past the first few rounds!

Opr

I know the wind can be so scary. And we have prob all watched far too many horrors to be truly comfortable with the sound of the wind. At the same time I love a good storm.
    I am jumping at shadows now. Not good :-(:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I am jumping at shadows now. Not good :-(:-)

Likewise :eek:

I'm gonna go and hide under my quilt, because as every 5 year-old knows...if you hide under the quilt completely, you will be perfectly safe and nothing can get you.

(I am not 5 years old)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I'm gonna go and hide under my quilt, because as every 5 year-old knows...if you hide under the quilt completely, you will be perfectly safe and nothing can get you.

(I am not 5 years old)
    It also works for 35 year olds too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

quercus wrote: »

It was about nine o'clock that a westerly breeze sprang up and was greeted with a sigh of relief by many people. However, the breeze continued to freshen and by ten thirty it was blowing a high gale and continued to still increase in power until it reached tornado proportions. Depending on the position of the town or village the tornado, for that was what it was, struck with varying ferocity, in some towns it approached with a rumbling sound and in others there was no warning until the houses commenced to shake with the force of the wind. People who had gone to bed awoke with the sound and the vibrations and got out of bed and dressed as quickly as they could. Most went into the streets or fields to get away from falling buildings. In the latter part of the midlands where there was no mountain or hill to break the force of the wind, roofs were blown off houses and out buildings were lifted from the ground and in many cases found over a mile away. Church steeples and high buildings were especially vulnerable, as were haystacks and stacks of corn. In some parts wind used to stop for as much as two or three minutes, then come again with increased force.

and another

The overwhelming chaos and terror of the storm, particularly the injury and destruction it brought, was long remembered by those who experienced the event. A rumbling noise, similar to thunder at a low volume, continued throughout the storm but increased in volume as the gusts increased.

http://www.mayoalive.com/MagApr23/BigWind.htm

Been addicted to this forum since the 23rd of December! thanks to all who contributed!!! learned so much and makes me wonder why i didn't keep on Geogrpahy in Uni - I picked Economics instead :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Just looking at the front moving in it looks unreal. I presume if we had a stronger cold front this could have been epic ?

3hr-rain.gif

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kopp

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Sorry..

drove up, stopped car and got out. Whatever neighbours I have must be all in bed as there was only one light in the distance. Pitch black around me.

All I could hear as i got out was the crunch of lying snow which freaked the crap out me.

held my breath and listened and the feckin noise was there (i am the other side of the forest in that pic now) to the SW. Seems like it is coming from a long way away but yet you could just reach out and touch the damn banshee. It is an intense low grumbling noise.

The fear of being eaten by something made me jump into the car. started it and door still open. tried to take off too quickly and skidded like a idiot on first rev. locked the doors and was looking all around me for mr psycho to beat the crap out of me.

home now. Noise seems like its louder again so I probably brought the feckin yoke home with me.

I am a rational person but this has just freaked me. I know imagination can play trick with you but the noise is just there. I can hear the damn thing out my window now.

sorry to annoy. it must be that it's a big bad bugger of a storm tearing the tail out of the atlantic. :confused:

WTF?? Any combs lying around?

quercus wrote: »

You must have been terrified quercus! How old were you at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cats are fast asleep on the bed; dogs fast asleep in the other room, so I reckon all is well and will follow their example.

Still bitter cold up here ..

Sleep well, all.

(I am not 5 years old)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dannyboymed

=O It seems this thread has turned into a bit of a horror story now.. What are the chances that this might happen and all of Ireland experiences some sort of huge storm?

=O It seems this thread has turned into a bit of a horror story now.. What are the chances that this might happen and all of Ireland experiences some sort of huge storm?

the chances are remote. the night of the big wind was a once in a 171 year event :D

Off to under the leaba... nite folks, batten down the hatches and get your snow shoes ready for the mother of all snow storms.

Oiche mhaith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

0.7/-0.9 wind still easterly/se

the temp's in the south west are flying up,7 and 6c everywhere :eek:

• Advertisement

We will all wake up dead tomorrow:-), with the bermuda triangle sitting where laois is grinning:-):-)
    Ok im going asleep with curtains closed and quilt over my head.

Advertisement