Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

It looks the the pink on the chart refers to snow in mm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Irish snow (big wet blobs of misery).

Thats true of the wet snow yesterday but the snow I saw in Kilkenny earlier in the week was a different affair: dry, powdery stuff. Ive never seen snow like that before in these parts so it was something special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Thats true of the wet snow yesterday but the snow I saw in Kilkenny earlier in the week was a different affair: dry, powdery stuff. Ive never seen snow like that before in these parts so it was something special.
    i had that powdery stuff last night too. Did a great job in increasing the depth of the snow quickly. Sorry for being a snow whore with my depth addiction.:o

18Z GFS will start rolling out in about 20 mins, not sure how useful it will be with this rapidly developing system in the short term but will be interesting anyway...

Here Comes The Blob - do do do do.

Look at those intense precip colours. This front may make landfall earlier than expected, probably about 3-4am in SW. By the way, I love MT's latest post where he clearly feels that tomorrow is going to be a lottery in terms of what type of precip falls and where.
    3hr-rain.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Just to answer your question munsterlegend in the other thread, I think freezing rain is very likely early tomorrow between 6 and 9 am
    Clashing with rush hour could make things chaotic for the South.
    You also wondered about snow, no chance for us but quite likely in the Northeast. As I also metioned in the other thread freezing solid here at the moment along with most of the roads nationwide.
    Not sure about the East, they seem to be basking in it of late....

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Look at those intense precip colours. This front may make landfall earlier than expected, probably about 3-4am in SW. By the way, I love MT's latest post where he clearly feels that tomorrow is going to be a lottery in terms of what type of precip falls and where.
    3hr-rain.gif

Wow, pretty colours! Scary looking... :eek:

What time do you reckon it will arrive into Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

3hr-rain.gif

whats that hirlam model website you have again wolfe? i thinks its danish met office site.

Felixdhc wrote: »

12pm - 3pm. Probably wont be as intense that far north, would still be bucketing down though.

Felixdhc wrote: »

don't think anyone really knows how slow or fast moving this fron will be felix. sorry.

By the way, here is a pic of my crew in the back garden last evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

kkontour wrote: »
    think its 30mm ( 3cm)

Generally 1mm of precip is 1 cm of snow.. So 30 mms of pink precip.The colour on the chart blue for rain, pink for snow. so 30mms of pink would = 30cm of snow... Now you see why I had a lil panic there lol:D

whats that hirlam model website you have again wolfe? i thinks its danish met office site.
    here you go munster
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

click on nedbor. a lot of precip heading Mallow way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting with Met Eireann predicting major floods for the south also with this system moving over land meeting the cold air turning to snow which it will.

This morning it was snowing here heavy it all stopped around midday and moved further North and the Temp was 1.8dg. Tomorrow snow all depends on were you live and how high you are above sea level.

My personal feeling is from the midlands i would say Meath,W Meath,Longford and Offaly that is were the battling line well take place, Cavan Monaghan and N.I will definitely see further snowfall it might only be a half hour or three hours who knows, i wonder do Met Eireann know:rolleyes:

IMO they are just afraid to call it after the weekend. 30 minute queues at every checkout in Tescos, schools closed for a week & then.. it rained... They prob in a bit of hot water over the panic there wasnt which amounted to nothing..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

so can we expect any snow tomorrow.. hopefully it wont be sleet like last night but meto forecasted rain sleet and snow and tomorrow night they are just forecast heavy snow all night turning to rain on wednesday night.

jenzz wrote: »
    IMO they are just afraid to call it after the weekend. 30 minute queues at every checkout in Tescos, schools closed for a week & then.. it rained... They prob in a bit of hot water over the panic there wasnt which amounted to nothing..

In fairness though, in the south where I was, snow was falling all day and into the night Sunday, it was just more the wet type that doesnt tend to accumulate much.

Our low at noon tomorrow :

Rtavn181.png

In fairness though, in the south where I was, snow was falling all day and into the night Sunday, it was just more the wet type that doesnt tend to accumulate much.

I dont blame them at all - They forecasted according to the models & charts like everyone on here did. I think they maybe afraid now just in case ....

Our low at noon tomorrow :

Rtavn181.png

Could one of you lovlies possibly put those colours ,lines & numbers into english for us commoners lol. Appreciated - before I hit the hay - school is backso snow watch over lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i think it will be rain and sleet over the midlands, with snow at lower levels over ulster for a while. it's interesting to see the fronts that make their way across us on friday will be all rain in the north of england according to the latest bbc precipitation chart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I watched an item on Bbc 2 a few nights back where the met office in the uk were being asked would they consider the American system of forecasting by 'percentage chance of'. E.g 'there is a 60% chance of snow effecting' wherever. Would this help with tomorrows maginality?

irish1967 wrote: »
    I watched an item on Bbc 2 a few nights back where the met office in the uk were being asked would they consider the American system of forecasting by 'percentage chance of'. E.g 'there is a 60% chance of snow effecting' wherever. Would this help with tomorrows maginality?

If you don't mind me asking do they have a irish bbc chanel for The Republic of Ireland or is this picking up signal for the ni one? im confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I cannot say how happy I am to see that thread title 'Strong winds, heavy rain.' I have enough of cold and freezing conditions.

Snow I am ok with - 3 weeks of freezing condition is a massive no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

owenc wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking do they have a irish bbc chanel for The Republic of Ireland or is this picking up signal for the ni one? im confused...

Satelite transends international , national and imposed borders :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Missed the weather after the news what did the say are they confident.

hehe i think you need to go to the political channel owenc! we get bbc nireland on satellite well i do! bbc is british and is for britian only although they do have a world service channel. the republic of ireland being a separate country has its own national tv - rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yes, it would be handy if we didn't need cold weather for snow. i wonder is there a parallel universe where snow falls at 15 degrees celsius???

hehe i think you need to go to the political channel owenc! we get bbc nireland on satellite well i do! bbc is british and is for britian only although they do have a world service channel. the republic of ireland being a separate country has its own national tv - rte.

yea i thought it was to do with satellites we can pick up rte and tv3 and i think another one... but that is because donegal was near i just thought it was weird people in galway watching bbc uk lol... also was also wondering if you had a bbc ireland like the uk has bbc ni bbc wales bbc scotland etc.... and as for politics don't even bother with that im sick of hearing it here.... you lot are lucky you don't have diffrent colours on streets or people correcting you and asking your religion it really is crap! ugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sky supplies it's customers in the Republic with BBC NI.

• Advertisement

yea i thought it was to do with satellites we can pick up rte and tv3 and i think another one... but that is because donegal was near i just thought it was weird people in galway watching bbc uk lol... also was also wondering if you had a bbc ireland like the uk has bbc ni bbc wales bbc scotland etc....

is this an ali g type wind up?!

Advertisement