Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

snow ghost wrote: »

Moreover, the brits still think - or like to think - the Republic is part of the UK.

;)

we're not. when did that happen:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

could you PLEASE write an erotic novel for us next? :o

No probs cherry. ;)

Btw it's 'pants off day' tomorrow if we get heavy snow.

could you PLEASE write an erotic novel for us next? :o
    Mother Nature And Fantasy Island

By the way, once and for all we can all officially discount Metcheck as the greatest load of rubbish

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp

a red has been added to the devil's rainbow
    3hr-rain.gif

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    we're not. when did that happen:confused:

When we failed to get to the Last World Cup that England wasn't in either Wolfe. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Just found this thread, its all the same people as the cold snap thread!!! :D

I should probably change the smiley to a wet one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

You're up quite a ways above sea level there CH750536, you're sure to see some snow with this I would think, at your level or certainly higher up around you, but (I confess I had to look at the map) being that far west it should change to heavy rain then perhaps back to wet snow near the end of the event.

I mentioned over in the forecast thread that this is evidently coming in very quickly and should be hitting Cork around 0300, Clare around maybe 0600, and with the leading edge of this precip, almost anyone could see it start as snow or sleet, this is often how similar systems work over here at any rate, they seem to release their load just when the uppers are marginal enough plus the time of day factor, then it quickly turns to rain. But the board is sure to light up tomorrow morning with numerous posts all starting with "hey they said it was going to ..." followed by whatever words you can imagine, also "I was expecting ... but instead I got ..." -- the bottom line is, a lot of people are going to see the whole menu of weather tomorrow, maybe even a half hour of sunshine thrown in to confuse 'em further.

Not sure how exposed you are to a southeast gale there in Abbeyfeale, or any downsloping issues from local hills and mountains, but anyone who does have those conditions can expect a really severe windstorm as there will be about 3-4 hours with potential surface gusts to 65 mph and 1,000 ft asl gusts to 80 mph. Only a total lunatic would try going up very high tomorrow.

I'm not sure if snow slides are ever a problem in that hilly country, but if this weather was hitting our west coast mountains they would have a high avalanche danger posted from now on, with shifting masses of snow likely to come hurtling downhill as the rapid temperature changes made them unstable, the first part of the heavy snowfalls up high have probably frozen solid with this later part probably lying loose on top, then you get the rain and the wind, and it all comes down. For that sort of terrain, I suppose it's going to be more of a mudslide issue, and I would imagine a few smaller streams coming out of any higher hilly areas could overflow culverts and wash out roads.

I also saw pictures of people walking on Lough Gur on another website and that will definitely become a dangerous thing to do in general with this rain and thaw. Probably obvious, but you never know, even in Ontario where people know winter conditions, there are always people heading out on unsafe ice.

Well, it's going to be a very interesting 24 hours, and I have the luxury of not having to grab any sleep from now until it is mostly played out, meanwhile, it is already raining and warm here, we have set a record for the date at 13 C (a touch higher than what I imagine for parts of Ireland come Friday perhaps). That's the other thing here, Friday is not looking too good for avoiding round two of flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

although I have been lurking here for a while ,I know as much about weather as quantum physics but with an air temp of 1.6 ,road temp of -0.6 and dp of -0.3 at charleville nra(and I,m usually a degree or two lower according to the car)and probably dropping am I right in expecting a big dump overnight before the temps rise with the arrival of this system?

edit;sugar wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

start of thing to come here.
    19867_247672106386_693561386_332142.jpg

not sure yet if it was caused by rain or has the main water main burst

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    I think I saw this Mother Nature in the Queens niteclub last weekend. Dirty minx.

Isn't that how the 1982 snowfallc ame about. Same type set up and forecasts of heavy rain. All snow fell in 24 hrs

Seemingly in 82 there were to be 'some wintry showers' overnight!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63818761&postcount=73

Love the way in the article about food shortages, they appeal to 'housewives' to return used milk bottles as there may be shortages!

Thanks MT. Very much appreciated. You should really add a paypal donate button to your sig. You deserve to be paid for your brilliant analysis.

Ps...Don't get me wrong. I'm a tight SOB and you won't get a nickel from me. I can write you a poem though if you want? eh...eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Getting pretty windy here now...As expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I dont think Ive ever seen the red scale used in these precipitation charts before...

3hr-rain.gif

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Getting pretty windy here now...As expected!

Already? Will be a lot more windy in about 6 hours...

start of thing to come here.

What is that, a small landslide?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

What is that, a small landslide?

yep

Look at those temps starting to rise in the south and SW

http://www.irelandsweather.com/index.php

I am still rooted to -1c here. Thermometer is five foot above the ground and sheltered from a strengthening ESE wind

PS...anyone wishing to check out how high ASL they are go to http://www.earthtools.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Already? Will be a lot more windy in about 6 hours...

Woah!It's been a long time since I've heard wind blowing in the trees,Looks like Kerry are in for a tough time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

Theres no chance of snow tho is there?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Windy here in Bandon in the SW, just a light breeze so far but you can see some small thaw coming along.
    Will welcome a nice gust to get rid of the snow from the roofs, its falling off all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Hi there, I'm new here and still learning. Exactly what does the scale mean on the bottom of the three hour forecast map?
    Going from 0 to 32 and in the case of the map the red 16 means what?
    Thanks for the help, enjoying the thread but back to school so heading to bed in a few

• Advertisement

Depends on your location, height and luck. :pac:

Tomorrow, you'll need either Noah's Arc or to build an igloo. Personally, I'm going for the latter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

redsunset wrote: »
    THERE'S A STORM COMING!!!!!!!!

Zm51yQypsOlqa

Where did ou gat that weather/map/image????

Hi there, I'm new here and still learning. Exactly what does the scale mean on the bottom of the three hour forecast map?
    Going from 0 to 32 and in the case of the map the red 16 means what?
    Thanks for the help, enjoying the thread but back to school so heading to bed in a few

The amount of rainfall, the numbers are the rainfall amount in mm per hour.

mothel wrote: »
    Where did ou gat that weather/map/image????

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html/latestImages/EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg

Updates every few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

Depends on your location, height and luck. :pac:

Between that and the noahs ark and igloo, I think that covers every eventuality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we may get some initial sleet out of this at first but im predicting a fairly fast temperature rise for most people during this front. Perhaps snow in some midland and northern areas. For Meath and Dublin im mostly going with sleet then rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 weathor

hi my first post
    best forecasts here
    :D
    :o
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I always get headaches before a big storm. I can feel it coming:eek:

Advertisement