Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Mr E wrote: »
    I upgraded last night too. No problems here either. Good to get the bootup sound back!

You could always get it by editing some file and changing a 0 to 1.

Not too sure about having a running ssh server on my phone continuously. Bit of a security issue - I would like to be able to send files by bluetooth though or connect to smb shares.

Is the swapper app worth it ? Heard it reduces the life of your SD card, whats the gains - marginally faster hero ?

Any of you guys have issues with notifications - especially text messages - they are a bit hit and miss for me (i installed sms popup to see if it would help - hasnt). Sometimes you get no notification and other times you read the message an the notification doesnt clear itself.

elderlemon wrote: »
    Does anyone use the HTC email widget? This is broken on modaco 2.6 where is doesn't honour the "ask before delete" setting. Can anyone on 2.7 tell me if this is fixed?

thanks

Just tried deleting a mail there - clicked delete and a popup asked me if I was sure - this is on 2.6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

On the widget or the app? Paul from Modaco confirmed its a bug so I'm not sure why it would work for you.
    voxpop wrote: »
    Just tried deleting a mail there - clicked delete and a popup asked me if I was sure - this is on 2.6

yeah - my bad - its the app. I dont use the widget at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

elderlemon wrote: »
    Does anyone use the HTC email widget? This is broken on modaco 2.6 where is doesn't honour the "ask before delete" setting. Can anyone on 2.7 tell me if this is fixed?

thanks

This is still borked on 2.7

HTC has released the kernel source today so good chance we'll see some new roms emerging over the coming weeks. May even see a 1.6 rom before an HTC official one. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

avoided posting on this thread until i made my mind up. seriously thinking about getting this now. meteor will have it for 399 on pay as you go.

You can buy it sim free for 400 ex VAT so not a great deal from meteor.

Its a good phone though - and with the kernel source released we are bound to see some nice custom updates.

Btw - anyone having problems with wifi. If I use wifi, I cant browse the net, log into google talk ,etc. All works fine if I just use the mobile network.

I did have an issue with wifi a few weeks back. A stop/start and even a reboot did not resolve it. As a last resort I deleted one of my wifi networks which sorted it out. I did have quite a few known networks stored so maybe reached a maximum or something like that.

• Advertisement

Ive only 2 stored - home and work. Might delete both and re-setup.

Btw for all you early adopters - 2.8 is released with MoDaCo Custom Kernel 1.2. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Planning on getting this on Meteor, seeing as the iPhone is out of my price range and this seems to be the best iPhone alternative.

Would Meteor give me an unlock code easy if I buy it on Bill Pay? Would there be any issue with someone joining Meteor on Bill, me taking the Hero and sticking a PAYG sim into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Dman001 wrote: »
    Planning on getting this on Meteor, seeing as the iPhone is out of my price range and this seems to be the best iPhone alternative.

Would Meteor give me an unlock code easy if I buy it on Bill Pay? Would there be any issue with someone joining Meteor on Bill, me taking the Hero and sticking a PAYG sim into it?

I wouldn't think Meteor would unlock it, but if yea got it on a Meteor Bill and put a PAYG SIM in, it should work just fine.

Unlocking the Hero is cheap btw if yea wanna use an online service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

plazzTT wrote: »

Know a date when it might show up on Meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm guessing november 1st, there is a press release on their site. I can't link to it now as i am on a crap phone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

kerbdog wrote: »
    I wouldn't think Meteor would unlock it, but if yea got it on a Meteor Bill and put a PAYG SIM in, it should work just fine.

Unlocking the Hero is cheap btw if yea wanna use an online service
    I saw a few of those sites alright but I wouldn't really trust them. Plus, it seems to be touch and go if they work.

The guys on the Meteor Forum said it was released on November 1, from €100 on Bill Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Dman001 wrote: »

The guys on the Meteor Forum said it was released on November 1, from €100 on Bill Pay.

Aye, http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=250&pid=1469&st=60&#entry1469 :)

From 99 euro Bill , 399 euro PAYG.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Are there many hero owners who have switched from symbian to android? Ive a pain in my ass of nokia's and im torn between either the htc hero or Hd2, looking on reviews of windows mobile i see alot of people slating it, so i dont know weather to grab the hero or hold out for the hd2

eireal wrote: »
    Are there many hero owners who have switched from symbian to android? Ive a pain in my ass of nokia's and im torn between either the htc hero or Hd2, looking on reviews of windows mobile i see alot of people slating it, so i dont know weather to grab the hero or hold out for the hd2

Without a doubt get the Hero, Android devices are the future and TBH who here can see Windows making a comeback in regards to mobile phones? Maybe Windows 7 mobile will be something but as for now with the hype of Android and Android 1.6 due to come, I can't see Windows Mobile able to step up the ante.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I switched from s60 (nokia E71) to the Hero - won't go back. Hero is great and the android implimentation on hero is even better. Super handset.

Like others have said - I don't see windows mobile coming back in any way.
    eireal wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've got an iPhone on O2 Advance 350, and have ditched the contract as they decided to get rid of their UK roaming deal with O2 UK which was a huge deal breaker for me.

Anyway, I'm now considering going with Meteor as their price plans seem way more affordable and the HTC Hero's looking rather attractive.

I've a few quick questions:

1) How's the HTC Hero battery life compared to iPhone 3G
    2) Anyone else made the move from iPhone to Android, if so how do they find it ?
    3) Does it do text message delivery reports, one of the missing features on the iphone that truly drives me insane.
    4) I'm not overly concerned about syncing up with my Mac, as I think I will continue to use the iPhone as an iPod touch, but in general how does it sync up with stuff? My entire business runs on Google Apps so it's quite likely to be google-friendly I assume?
    5) How's the touch-keyboard when compared to the iPhone? I'm finding the iPhone keyboard pretty easy to use, but I've seen Nokia's Symbian Keyboard and it's pretty tricky. Is the Android/HTC implementation usable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Solair wrote: »
    I've got an iPhone on O2 Advance 350, and have ditched the contract as they decided to get rid of their UK roaming deal with O2 UK which was a huge deal breaker for me.

Anyway, I'm now considering going with Meteor as their price plans seem way more affordable and the HTC Hero's looking rather attractive.

I've a few quick questions:

1) How's the HTC Hero battery life compared to iPhone 3G
    2) Anyone else made the move from iPhone to Android, if so how do they find it ?
    3) Does it do text message delivery reports, one of the missing features on the iphone that truly drives me insane.
    4) I'm not overly concerned about syncing up with my Mac, as I think I will continue to use the iPhone as an iPod touch, but in general how does it sync up with stuff? My entire business runs on Google Apps so it's quite likely to be google-friendly I assume?
    5) How's the touch-keyboard when compared to the iPhone? I'm finding the iPhone keyboard pretty easy to use, but I've seen Nokia's Symbian Keyboard and it's pretty tricky. Is the Android/HTC implementation usable ?

From what I've heard and from using the G1 the battery is just as bad as the iPhone, requiring daily charging. But all smartphones suffer from bad battery life.
    As for the keyboard, I've used the stock Android 1.5 screenboard and it's ok, but I hear HTC made some nice tweaks and that the predictive text is the best ever seen on any phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

paddy2k wrote: »
    From what I've heard and from using the G1 the battery is just as bad as the iPhone, requiring daily charging. But all smartphones suffer from bad battery life.
    As for the keyboard, I've used the stock Android 1.5 screenboard and it's ok, but I hear HTC made some nice tweaks and that the predictive text is the best ever seen on any phone.

From the HTC website the Hero battery life is up a little bit on the G1 with:
    Capacity: 1150 mAh

Talk time:
    Up to 350 minutes for WCDMA
    Up to 406 minutes for GSM
    Standby time:
    Up to 402 hours for WCDMA
    Up to 319 hours for GSM

and
    Capacity: 1350 mAh
    Talk time:
    Up to 420 minutes for WCDMA
    Up to 470 minutes for GSM
    Standby time:
    Up to 750 hours for WCDMA
    Up to 440 hours for GSM

for the Hero.

But yeah still ain't that long unfortunately, and of course the official figures are much larger than actual use times.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Realistically it requires a charge a day if u use it as intended. If u leave it sitting in ur pocket all day (shame on you :p) it will probably last for a week without charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

How's the camera on it for both pictures and videos?The only off put i can find is the lack of led flash on it

TBH this phone is a powerhouse, so who-evers complaining about the battery, go get something else :P I'd be expecting to charge this baby up once a day anyway so it's no problem to me. Maybe some people would think about getting a spare battery (just like many did with the original N95) to use as back up just incase it goes flat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Does it handle SMS delivery reports? My one massive gripe with the iPhone!

Yes. It has delivery reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 heroic

Looks like November 1st from their website.

http://www.meteor.ie/about/news/2009/221009/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

hi guys, interested in this phone but just reading that the sprint hero is out in the states and it addresses some of the issues the original has (camera, lag, etc) - also it looks a little different with no "chin". does anyone know if it would work over here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement