Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You subscribed to this forum too, Bluefoam?
    Every 2 mins I'm getting a "Reply to thread 'HTC Hero'" email :p

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

ok ok message received

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

plazzTT wrote: »
    So Meteor will have it only in white.

I prefer the graphite one, but according to HTC, the white phone is the only colour of the phone which has a protective coating layer of polytetrafluoroethylene to keep it looking new and clean. Whatever that is.

Polytetrafluoroethylene is better know by it's brand name of Teflon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Nyom nyom eclair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Nyom nyom eclair

I want. Likely to be a while though before it arrives to the Hero unless its cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There have been suggestions that they will bypass 1.6 and release 2.0 for the hero... Still some questions over whether the hardware will be up for the task

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Called into Meteor in Waterford this evening. Was told they never heard of it before another guy chimed in and said it would be at least two weeks before it could be had. Then called up to 3g store who are usually on the ball from my experience and i actually had to spell out H...T...C...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Bluefoam wrote: »
    There have been suggestions that they will bypass 1.6 and release 2.0 for the hero... Still some questions over whether the hardware will be up for the task

The Hero is the highest spec'd Android you can currently buy. I know there's a load of new ones around the corner but there is no way that it won't be up to the task. I think all this speculation is down to the initial problems Hero had that were resolved with the update. If anything I'm expecting better performance with 1.6 and 2.0. ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/30/video-android-1-6-donut-gets-jazzy-walkthrough-performance-and/

Engadget on 1.6
    There's not much in the way of presentation updates, most changes going on behind the scenes, particularly when it comes to performance. Those improvements are definitely noticeable when it comes to scrolling through apps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Phone shops in town - like ones that unlock phones etc (proper ones :P) - might sell and put on different colour cases for the phone? Like the brown one if you don't like the white? T4 screwdriver.. sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

rizzee wrote: »
    Phone shops in town - like ones that unlock phones etc (proper ones :P) - might sell and put on different colour cases for the phone? Like the brown one if you don't like the white? T4 screwdriver.. sorted :D

Good point. Why don't you just buy one in each colour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Solair wrote: »
    Doesn't really make a big deal, it's the same phone with a CDMA radio unit instead of a GSM/3GSM unit.
    Yeah but its only the Sprint version that he was asking about so its kinda a big deal if you wanna use it here

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Good point. Why don't you just buy one in each colour?

:cool:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Of course! How did i miss this, the Hero coming to Meteor means some shops might actually stock accessories, which will benefit people who've already bought one.

Delighted to finally have a penguin in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

what sort of accessories are available so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

EPM wrote: »
    Called into Meteor in Waterford this evening. Was told they never heard of it before another guy chimed in and said it would be at least two weeks before it could be had. Then called up to 3g store who are usually on the ball from my experience and i actually had to spell out H...T...C...

Because they've been told nothing about it yet! The Meteor website has more info than has been given to staff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

chrislad wrote: »
    Because they've been told nothing about it yet! The Meteor website has more info than has been given to staff!

More's the pity. You would think that they'd hipe one of the biggest launches of the year (and probably ever for them:D).

If this thing was marketed properly they could really sock it to the iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

EPM wrote: »
    More's the pity. You would think that they'd hipe one of the biggest launches of the year (and probably ever for them:D).

If this thing was marketed properly they could really sock it to the iPhone

i think they are holding back.. they know that a replacement is already in the pipeline. SE xperia x3 is rumored to be out on nov 3rd. Think they holding off and will push an android phone for christmas but don't know which android phones they will have just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Can the Hero play Quicktime video ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I don't think so, not out of the box. The spec says it supports MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 and Windows Media® Video 9 video formats.

Maybe with a third-party ROM or software?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

Skud wrote: »
    i think they are holding back.. they know that a replacement is already in the pipeline. SE xperia x3 is rumored to be out on nov 3rd. Think they holding off and will push an android phone for christmas but don't know which android phones they will have just yet.

Awh dam, november 3rd for the X3. Was hoping to stay with SE but i guess you'd be waiting forever if you were waiting for the next big thing.

• Advertisement

Don't you guys mean the X10? I've a thread up here about it somewhere.

edit- http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055721746

Anyway, not to long ontil the show gets on the road with Meteor about this phone, lets hope they can stick to their promise and have it out the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

plazzTT wrote: »
    I don't think so, not out of the box. The spec says it supports MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 and Windows Media® Video 9 video formats.

Maybe with a third-party ROM or software?

isnt quicktime 7 MPEG-4?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Can someone convince me not to upgrade my N95 for the Hero? Pretty please...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Don't you guys mean the X10? I've a thread up here about it somewhere.

edit- http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055721746

Anyway, not to long ontil the show gets on the road with Meteor about this phone, lets hope they can stick to their promise and have it out the 1st.

not officially either x3 or x10 yet? only murmurs atm? But ya could be x10 :)

N95 has a camera flash, and eh... longer battery life!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

N95 has a camera flash, and eh... longer battery life!

don't care about the camera, I have a digital camera for that. Better battery life? Wow, the N95 has pretty crappy battery life as it is but then again I guess the Hero does a lot more?

Upgrade away. N95 is dated.Even though it has a better cam etc, both batteries are pretty crappy tbh. S60 is dated, Androids the new thing :cool:

Skud wrote: »
    not officially either x3 or x10 yet? only murmurs atm? But ya could be x10 :)

The rumour is the X10, the x3 was the old name for it so the fact of the rumour is that it will be the x10.. x3 name is out of the picture. Understand? :P

don't care about the camera, I have a digital camera for that. Better battery life? Wow, the N95 has pretty crappy battery life as it is but then again I guess the Hero does a lot more?
    I used to get a good 4-5 days outta my n95. I guess the big difference will be that you'd probably find yourself using the hero a lot more, with all the different apps and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Upgrade away. N95 is dated.Even though it has a better cam etc, both batteries are pretty crappy tbh. S60 is dated, Androids the new thing :cool:

Nokia are basically abandoning their Symbian operating system for their high end smart phone. The N97 is pretty much the end of the line for Symbian.

They're moving everything over to Maemo, mobile linux. http://maemo.nokia.com/

The N900 is the first in that line : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUwvaTmXWQ

*very* expensive handset though at the moment, retailing at just shy of €700 SIM free!!
    http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement