Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Yep I know mate, Maemo vs Android will be interesting for sure! Lots of brill apps to come over the next year anyways :)

N900 is wayyyyyy too big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

rizzee wrote: »
    Yep I know mate, Maemo vs Android will be interesting for sure! Lots of brill apps to come over the next year anyways :)

N900 is wayyyyyy too big!

Yeah, but N900 will undoubtedly spawn something smaller in the new year.

The iPhone is a bit of a brute too, I find it quite uncomfortably wide.

I sometimes think the ideal combo is a really good tablet device and a separate phone, it'd be great if you could get a dual SIM account from someone to do that i.e. one for data and one for voice.

Remember the days when tiny phones were all the rage!

zoolander.jpg

Just incase this hasn't been posted yet, heres the link to the Meteor forums which we're speaking of the HTC Hero- http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=250

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

from looking around the web it seems that ppl have had a bit of luck in improving the battery life by switching off a number of settings/options when not in use

Slipshaney wrote: »
    from looking around the web it seems that ppl have had a bit of luck in improving the battery life by switching off a number of settings/options when not in use

Aye, same with all phones :D;) Doubt this battery is as bad as people are saying... Sure the best solution - get an external charging dock and spare battery if its that bad. Sorted!

• Advertisement

exactly - have there been many accessories released for the hero as of yet do ye know?

HUGE range here mate - http://www.expansys.ie/ > Search ''HTC Hero'' > 67 items found, 2 of them are the Hero phone in two colours and the rest accesories.

At least i'll know where to go to get batteries and covers if i need them :D

very nice...seems to be most things there. A charging/speaker dock will come along too i suppose. all we need now is for Meteor to come up with the goods :)

I'd say theres even more accesories on Ebay, whether they're official or not who knows. Yep roll on Sunday/Monday :)

yup - im on vodafone tho so will have to get the bloody thing unlocked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

What's the cheapest reliable shop to buy the Hero from?

I think you guys failed in convincing me not to spend money :(
    I'll try and forgive you all though ;)

What's the cheapest reliable shop to buy the Hero from?

I think you guys failed in convincing me not to spend money :(
    I'll try and forgive you all though ;)

No problem. thanks ;)

No where yet mate, from Sunday on Meteor (well thats what they're saying) so any Meteor store.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'll check it out, do Meteor brand their phones though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Aye, same with all phones :D;) Doubt this battery is as bad as people are saying... Sure the best solution - get an external charging dock and spare battery if its that bad. Sorted!

I dont know what all the fuss is about - the battery is grand. If you have the screen on alot and wifi, you will run down the battery. I get maybe 3 days from the battery - thats using the hero for calls/texts and sparse browsing / email/ messing. For what the phone does, I happy with that.
    You can charge with any usb lead, Im using an old blackberry one in work so I can charge it from my laptop.
    If you are really worried about the battery you can buy a second one and swap them easily - it isnt like an iPhone,you dont need and electronic engineering degree to change the batter - the back cover just comes off like a normal phone - no fiddling or voiding warranties.

good to know voxpop - do you have it so that things like wifi, 3g etc are switched off unless you are using them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

wifi is mostly off at the mo. I have 3g on all the time. Im only using a few meg a day.

Someone on here has some app for switching off wifi when they are away from home or work - something like that so its not always searching for APs

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

yup - im on vodafone tho so will have to get the bloody thing unlocked!

Maybe you could go with the Tattoo, vodafone will be launching it soon.

@voxpop: thanks for that - i was worried about the battery life but you have helped there. as long as i could get 2-3 days outta if id be fine

@paddy2k: not sure about the tattoo - kinda have my heart set on a hero! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

@voxpop: thanks for that - i was worried about the battery life but you have helped there. as long as i could get 2-3 days outta if id be fine

@paddy2k: not sure about the tattoo - kinda have my heart set on a hero! :)

The hero is probably the best phone in existence at the moment..if it wasn't for the camera.

If you're not a big camera user then it makes no difference, but coming from an n95 and being a heavy camera (specifically camera+flash) user, i went for the samsung galaxy. The UI isnt as slick as the hero, but the hardware is marginally better.

Just stop faffing (a word i dont think iv ever used before) and get a hero. Defo android's flagship at the moment. Unless you wanted to wait for SonyEriccssons first android v soon...

Sony Ericsson = Flop :P

Yeah sure at least you can update to Android 1.6 then 2.0 with the Hero, handy :)

• Advertisement

is it going to be easy enough to update to android 2.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Any idea if HTC plan to provide an upgrade for the Hero to 2.0. This should give better camera quality, improved bluetooth, better battery, free google sat nav etc... It will work fine but the big issue will be providing a version with Sense UI.

I definatly read it somewhere over the last week that you can update the FW when its out

I definatly read it somewhere over the last week that you can update the FW when its out

You can update the FW & can root the phone to accept open source variations of Android. But HTC have to modify the FW to provide a proper version for the Hero, due to the fact that they have heavily modified the UI with Sense...

Otherwise you can run a bog standard version.

im sure it will be available alright - perhaps the meteor version would have the most updated FW!

1.5 1.6 (doubtful) MAX yeah! Heres hopin...

GO METEOR! :)

GO METEOR! :)

Post count +1

1.5/1.6 MAX yeah!

Not sure there is an official version of 1.6 for the Hero - I'm hoping they bypass it and release 2.0 with Sense

• Advertisement

True, I edited my post before you wrote that, added in doubtful :P Anyway no matter what the outcome is 1.5 will still do the job & rooting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement