Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Wow - 2.6 already - that modaco guy is really flying through the versions

On the instruction above - I didnt partition my sd card - whats the reason for partitioning it ? Is it just for apps2sd or is there any other benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I haven't partitioned it either.... not sure of the benefit (small speed increase maybe?)

Just upgraded from 2.4 to 2.6 (didn't need to wipe).
    I had an issue where Market Enabler had stopped working on 2.4 (it was causing phone to reboot), but its working now on 2.6 so it was worth the upgrade.

Mr E wrote: »
    I had an issue where Market Enabler had stopped working on 2.4 (it was causing phone to reboot), but its working now on 2.6 so it was worth the upgrade.

There is a bug in market enable relating to the way busybox implements ps and the way the android emulator implements ps which meant that the maketEnable was killing pid 0 (i.e. the phone) rather than the market process on 2.2+. I had started modifying the marketEnabler code to work with modaco, looks like I dont need to if its working on 2.6. :)

Yeah I read about it on the Market Enabler page. The guy is very slow to release updates though.... Sounds like a straight forward enough bug, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Sounds like they are pre-moderating posts.

It's done here in the likes of PI and other "sensitive" forums.

It would never happen on this forum. :D

Yup defo seems like it. they have decided only to post some of my comments

• Advertisement

Yeah I read about it on the Market Enabler page. The guy is very slow to release updates though.... Sounds like a straight forward enough bug, tbh.

It is - basically the output of ps has the PID column in a different place on busybox than the android emulator. The guy is supposed to be working on a way to avoid executing shell commands and use the API instead.

TBH I was just going to change the column in the shell command and recompile - never got around to it - strange that 2.4 didnt work and 2.6 does - the change log mentions nothing much between them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Yep 2.6 came out a few days ago. Wipe is not necessary but imo if you are coming from default Hero rom and moving also to APS2SD it may be worth the wipe to avoid possible complications. Future Modaco rom upgrades shouldn't require a wipe. That's what Modaco says in one of his threads anyway. Moving from 2.4 => 2.6 had no issues for me and I didn't wipe.

APS2SD allows you more space for installing apps and leaves you with more space on your rom which in turn can help with speed for your device according to the guys in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Just saw on Sky News that the HTC Hero scooped the T3 Phone of the Year award.
    Might make some of the Telcos sit up and take notice.

Sky News Article
    T3 Phone of the Year

Just did the 2.6 update with the new radio - pretty nippy. Im coming from 2.2 and its faster than that. The new people widget is worth the upgrade in itself and marketEnable works. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Mr E, these have stopped working for me. They still working for you?

Just noticed today that MMS has stopped working for me too (on a G1)

• Advertisement

I sent myself an MMS and it worked OK. Sort of.

It had the little clock symbol on it that wouldn't go away. So I forced a retry and it worked but I got 2 copies of the message.
    Also for me, they always take some time to come in (15-30 mins after sending for some reason).

If you are using Market Enabler on your phone, it changes the APN, so MMSs probably won't work.
    Make sure you reset to the default APN in Market Enabler.

Also make sure your Data Connection is on, but WiFi is turned off. MMS needs your data connection and doesn't use WiFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

I sent myself an MMS and it worked OK. Sort of.

It had the little clock symbol on it that wouldn't go away. So I forced a retry and it worked but I got 2 copies of the message.
    Also for me, they always take some time to come in (15-30 mins after sending for some reason).

If you are using Market Enabler on your phone, it changes the APN, so MMSs probably won't work.
    Make sure you reset to the default APN in Market Enabler.

Also make sure your Data Connection is on, but WiFi is turned off. MMS needs your data connection and doesn't use WiFi.

Still no joy for me. I get the H arrow flashing for about 5 seconds, then it stops as if it was sent, but it never arrives. Can't receive any either. Worked fine for a while, then stopped. I don't have Market Enabler installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

i have never upgraded so should i update to 2.4 or some other version before going straight to 2.6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I updated last night from 2.0 to 2.6 with no problems. Took 10 mins.
    blocparty wrote: »
    i have never upgraded so should i update to 2.4 or some other version before going straight to 2.6?

elderlemon wrote: »
    I updated last night from 2.0 to 2.6 with no problems. Took 10 mins.

my firmware is 1.5, or is 2.0 the rom?

trying to create the recovery image, after entering first line of the command is saying error: device not found

Make sure you are running the commands from the directory you extracted the file to. ie if you extracted it to c:\hero from dos promt cd c:\hero before running commands. Also make sure usb debugging is selected.

Thats the android version. If you have previously installed the Modaco rom it should say "MCR 1.5" or "MCR 2.0e" or similiar in the about screen. Later versions show Modaco under Build Number.
    blocparty wrote: »
    my firmware is 1.5, or is 2.0 the rom?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Dingatron wrote: »
    Make sure you are running the commands from the directory you extracted the file to. ie if you extracted it to c:\hero from dos promt cd c:\hero before running commands. Also make sure usb debugging is selected.

Use the dir command to list your current directory and cd to cd to change directory.

EG:

type dir,

You will be given a list of directories, say:

Desktop
    Documents
    etc

Type cd Desktop to go to desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

and they can use Spotify :( Makes me said it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Anyone using the Hero on o2 Speakeasy? I finally got off billpay and onto pay as you go.

Call costs have gone through the floor but I'm a bit concerned about data when I finally get me a Hero.

C.D. wrote: »
    Use the dir command to list your current directory and cd to cd to change directory.

EG:

type dir,

You will be given a list of directories, say:

Desktop
    Documents
    etc

Type cd Desktop to go to desktop.

i did that, directed it to the file and it says error device not found

Try having a look through this thread. It for the HTC Magic but same principles apply. If you have the dev tools installed and are in the directory it should work as long as your usb is working correctly and have the driver installed?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=529062

MCR 2.7 is out now.
    Changelog

- Updated WaveSecure, moved to add on pack
    - New Boot sounds restore add on pack
    - Dropbear SSH running by default, check 'About' screen for password (port 2222)
    - Add Notes app from Dragon to core
    - Add Swapper to core
    - Add WiFi Status to core
    - Added Voice Search to core with libspeech library

As you can see, this addresses a lot of requests. If you are a WaveSecure user, remember to install the WaveSecure pack now to remain protected.

http://hero.modaco.com

Downloading :)

:) - he is really rolling out those updates.

Let us know how you get on Dingatron

Is that dropbear ssh a ssh server running on the phone continuously ?

Btw anyone running wavesecure ? Was gonna set it up for a try but havnt got around to it

Yep running 2.7 now. Just one issue with it. After unmounting the sd I have got corrupted sd card notification. Did a file check through the recovery image and all ok since.

sshd is running whole time. I think you need to generate keys before it works. Gonna give it a go later as sftp or scp would be useful for file transfer.

Messing around with Wavesecure a bit. Its very good and works well. Remote backup of contacts, location tracking etc. There are some concerns over the battery usage though so I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days.

picture.php?albumid=39&pictureid=4093

Hopefully HTC will release the kernel source to the community soon otherwise development could come to a standstill. I'd a look through the Sapphire/Magic forum on xda last night and there some great roms in there. Updates from HTC will be slow judging by lack of source and no sign of Android 1.6 so we may be very dependent on community. If I've some time in the next few weeks I may even have a go at creating a theme myself.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=493

I upgraded last night too. No problems here either. Good to get the bootup sound back!

• Advertisement

Does anyone use the HTC email widget? This is broken on modaco 2.6 where is doesn't honour the "ask before delete" setting. Can anyone on 2.7 tell me if this is fixed?

thanks
    I upgraded last night too. No problems here either. Good to get the bootup sound back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement