Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Moosh10

Lads we've been ripped off for years. How come ya's are only noticing now?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Buster_Gonnads

Who said people are only noticing now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Frank66

I'm new to staying here but not new to Ireland as I've been here before many times. I knew it would be more expensive to live here but this thread is a real eye-opener. Pubs charging 3-4 times as much for a pint or even a bottle as I did at home. The kicker was the post about, what 8 euro for a bottle of Coors Light,? which is basically beer colored water.:confused:. that's ridiculous. Now I understand why I see people plastered in the streets or on public transport before they even reach the clubs and good or bad I drink a lot less when I'm out than I did at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 b4nd1t

B0X wrote: »
    That'd be great actually.
    I know the pub up the way from me would get better business after that. €2.50 per lager and €3 for Guinness, shame its so small though.

Definetly a good idea, it could be used as a useful tool for visitors and drinkers not wanted to get ripped off royally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I was in Fitsimons in Temple Bar last weekend -

8.10 for a vodka and a dash of lemonade! :O

I stayed because I like the place and was having a good night, but that really is a rip off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Courtneys in Lucan. €6 for a bottle of Kopparberg. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

This threat is astonishing.

What is even more amazing though, is that these places continue to do business. I simply cannot afford to drink anywhere that charges more than 5 euro for a pint of lager.

In the US I was stunned to see bottles of Coors going for as little as $2 a bottle. The only place I saw a total rip off was in sports stadia where that went up to over $9 a bottle for Bud or Miller. I noticed also that people were not drinking very much!!

You've got to wonder though why anybody would continue to drink regularly in places which are gouging customers to such an extent.

yes Shoegirl, one has to wonder why people continue to be fleeced in these drinking holes. I certainly dont class being ripped off as having a good time, it puts me off my drink and ruins my mood!

i noticed that some drinks have been advertised for 4EUR on temple bar the
    other day:eek: looks like the recession is kicking in... i think it was at thunderroad cafe though, so not sure if anybody would drink there regardless of the price.

(ps i was just walking through - cant afford to goto rip off pubs at these crazy prices, until they go down to 2-3 eur per pint - im drinking at home or abroad)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

b4nd1t wrote: »
    i noticed that some drinks have been advertised for 4EUR on temple bar the other day:eek: looks like the recession is kicking in... i think it was at thunderroad cafe though, so not sure if anybody would drink there regardless of the price.

What most people are forgetting about is the total package. - As per above post, one place can give pints at €4 but has hardly any customers because they don't offer high tech sounds systems, live music, atmosphere, etc etc etc.

You can do the same comparrisson is virtually every other city in the world. In london you can get a point of warm beer in a pub with torn stools, brown wallpaper and zero atmosphere on wigmore st W1 for £2.60. Walk 50 yards and you find a pub on st. christophers place with atmosphere and quality surroundings charging £4.50 for the EXACT same drink. (cold) - Guess which one was busy? (hint - it wasn't the cheap one!)

id have to disagree with you Darc.

in london they have lots of great places to drink with great surroundings and all dirt cheap too (compared to dub).

also, theres lots of choice with plenty of wetherspoons around with nearly all drinks reasonably priced, plus good offers, cheap food and coffee etc for non- (alcoholic)-drinkers ...

dont get me wrong, all the same branded pubs all over the UK is pretty crap, but theres definetly value to be had compared to here, and prices have much further to fall. And i can get a round in for a few mates for a tenner whereas over here i would be scared to offer to get a round in... 5euro per drink is scandalous!!

but to be fair, whilst it is a rip off here, there are plenty of places (ie Helstinki) where the prices are on a par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

well how about some pubicity for a pub that has good prices for once....

The Ginger Man near Pearse Station/Marrion Sq in Dublin 2 has some very nice pints of local brew for €3.50. good cheap food too!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

The Ginger Man near Pearse Station/Marrion Sq in Dublin 2 has some very nice pints of local brew for €3.50. good cheap food too!

Agreed to a point especially with the food - however if you are having anything but the local brew for your few pints then it is just as expensive as anywhere else around there......

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Yeah the lager isn't too bad and you can also get a 4 pint pitcher for €11 or 12.

However as JK says stray away from these beers and it isn't exactly cheap for the likes of Guinness, Heineken etc

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Yeah the lager isn't too bad and you can also get a 4 pint pitcher for €11 or 12.

However as JK says stray away from these beers and it isn't exactly cheap for the likes of Guinness, Heineken etc

True, but at least it's an option for cheap pints....it keeps me going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

Back in October in Citibar was charged 6.20 for a Kopparberg. I didn't hear the barman properly and actually only handed him 5.20 because there was no way it was gonna cost 6.20, but it did!! Was pretty pissed off. And Citibar is such a tacky dirty pisshole anyway, never going to that place again. I was charged about the same in the Temple Bar... kinda expected it but had to go there with friends. Never again! God I hate town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

A couple questions/points
    Has anyone compared the price of drink (the gold standard for Irish people comparing value through out the world) with the price around 15 years ago on the basis of price of a pint compared to average hourly wage or some such calculation? Is it just purely rip off or higher business costs etc
    Has there ever been a planned boycott or some action? I remember getting an email years ago but hearing nothing about it.
    When you consider some of the complete **** holes that people will que to get into to pay ridiculous prices for drink you really have to wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

DTrotter wrote: »
    When you consider some of the complete **** holes that people will que to get into to pay ridiculous prices for drink you really have to wonder.

this is the problem, don't pay it and they can't charge it

I also find that the higher the price the sh!ttier the taste

I rarely go out in Dublin city these days, just too expensive and can't remember the last time I came home (with empty pockets) thinking 'That was worth it'

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DTrotter wrote: »
    Has anyone compared the price of drink (the gold standard for Irish people comparing value through out the world) with the price around 15 years ago on the basis of price of a pint compared to average hourly wage or some such calculation?
    I would be interested in this too. I do not think it has gone up a huge amount, though these €6+ pints are ridiculous. I started drinking in pubs around 15 years ago. I remember pints being ~£2.50 in some places so €3.17.

The think many people forget is how much off licence prices have come DOWN since then, so it appears pubs are relatively far more expensive than the offie, so rather than figure or admit the offy is cheap it is easier to have a moan about pubs ;)

The cheapest cans 15 years ago were £1, this was pretty much standard, you got royal dutch £1 per can, some ciders were 6 for £5. But £1 is €1.27 so the cans have actually come down a good bit. Branded bottles were about £1.30 too, and now are readily available at €1 or less. It costed roughly twice the price for drinks in pubs than offies, while now it is a lot more, up to 10 times more for longnecks which are ridiculously priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the publicans of Dublin are getting desperate by the amount of ads they're running..."ah come to the pub..ye might get yer hole, ah gwan, gwan, gwan"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

Bambi wrote: »
    the publicans of Dublin are getting desperate by the amount of ads they're running..."ah come to the pub..ye might get yer hole, ah gwan, gwan, gwan"

Can't stand them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭leche solara

Bulmers have recently launched an extensive advertising campaign on radio, television and outdoor telling us that they have reduced the price of the pint bottle and that we should expect to pay less in our local bar. Well we can expect!

Last Thursday I was in a Dublin City Centre pub and when charged the usual price I asked the barman about the reduction, and he said that loads of people had been asking about it, but that he had to charge according to the price coded on the cash register. I was in the same pub the following day, and lo and behold they have an advertising panel on the wall with the Bulmers price reduction ad in it, but I am still being charged the unreduced price. I bring the barman to the outdoor area of the pub where the ad is displayed and he said he had not noticed the ad and knew nothing about it, but that he must charge the price in accordance with the cash register. Needless to say no manager was about. So this pub is now making on the double, firstly by not passing on the price reduction, and secondly by charging for the display of the Bulmers ad. Only in Ireland! (Living Room, Cathal Brugha Street)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,294 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Bulmers have recently launched an extensive advertising campaign on radio, television and outdoor telling us that they have reduced the price of the pint bottle and that we should expect to pay less in our local bar. Well we can expect!

Last Thursday I was in a Dublin City Centre pub and when charged the usual price I asked the barman about the reduction, and he said that loads of people had been asking about it, but that he had to charge according to the price coded on the cash register. I was in the same pub the following day, and lo and behold they have an advertising panel on the wall with the Bulmers price reduction ad in it, but I am still being charged the unreduced price. I bring the barman to the outdoor area of the pub where the ad is displayed and he said he had not noticed the ad and knew nothing about it, but that he must charge the price in accordance with the cash register. Needless to say no manager was about. So this pub is now making on the double, firstly by not passing on the price reduction, and secondly by charging for the display of the Bulmers ad. Only in Ireland! (Living Room, Cathal Brugha Street)

and you bought the pint bottles both days?? :rolleyes:

That is the reason people get ripped off, because they pay the rip-off prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

6e pints in bruxelles, voting with my feet now that I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

The-Rigger wrote: »
    6e pints in bruxelles, voting with my feet now that I know

Really? I always thought the prices there were reasonable. God knows what they charge in the Dawson Street axis of evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

rubadub wrote: »
    I would be interested in this too. I do not think it has gone up a huge amount, though these €6+ pints are ridiculous. I started drinking in pubs around 15 years ago. I remember pints being ~£2.50 in some places so €3.17.

You can't just compare punt prices 15 years ago with euro prices now, you need to allow for inflation.

If you take it at 3% then the punt price of your pint now is £2.50*(1.03^15) = £3.89. Converting to euro at €1.27/£ the price today should be €4.95. A lot of pubs in Dublin are charging close enough to this price for a pint.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The stock was probably bought at old prices, they've to shift that off first.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LiamD wrote: »
    You can't just compare punt prices 15 years ago with euro prices now, you need to allow for inflation.
    I agree completely.
    I already said "I do not think it has gone up a huge amount, though these €6+ pints are ridiculous"

My point is people seem to compare more to off licence prices, which have dropped in price over the years, and when inflation is taken into account on them it is a huge drop in offlicence prices.
    £2.50*(1.03^15) = £3.89
    Using your own math, my cheap £1 can 15 years ago was €1.27 so should be €1.97 today with inflation. Yet there is quite a selection of cans for €1 still.

Bottles of bud/heineken/miller etc were £1.30/€1.65 so should be €2.57 with inflation, yet are always available €1 now, I have gotten heinekens as low as 64cent per bottle with offers on crates.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Buster_Gonnads

Anyone know how much tax a Bar is actually charged per pint? They are always complaining about the high tax rate on alcohol, how much is it?? If a pub charges 6eur for a pint, how much goes on tax, ball park? anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

either 33% or 42% i cant remember which, same story for fags and fuel.. Meanwhile, at 3 in the afternoon, i got charged 5.70 for a pint in Thunder Road cafe.. bloody ridiculous, paid it though coz i was thirsty..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

'The Vaults' in Dublin

Pint of Smithwicks @ 8:30pm - E5.05 - Rip Off
    Pint of Smithwicks @ 9:00pm - E5.50 - Robbing C*nts

Pint of Bulmers @ 9:00pm - E6.50 - Hope the shower of greedy bastards go bust.

This was a Saturday night, and even at its busiest that night the place was only a 1/4 full. Maybe the sh*tty crowd size is due to your poxy prices lads eh!!!

Advertisement