Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

That place on westmoreland st across from supermacs.
    They have bavaria on tap and i fondly imagined it would be around the 3.50-4 euro a pint it is everywhere else.
    Not a bit of it..5.70 he tried to charge me..i told him to ram it up his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Eur 7.30 for a vodka and 'splash' coke in Bruxelles, Harry St.

I was so annoyed... I shouldn't have paid it.

I left the pub after though in protest.:o

Trí wrote: »
    Eur 7.30 for a vodka and 'splash' coke in Bruxelles, Harry St.

I was so annoyed... I shouldn't have paid it.

I left the pub after though in protest.:o

You're damn right you shouldnt have paid it.
    There's about ten of us blanking that place,especially downstairs because of its exhorbitant prices and surly,ignorant barstaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I know The Temple Bar is a tourist pub, but we popped in in the middle of a bit of a crawl the other night, €6.60 for a pint of Heineken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

club 92 is always a rip off but saying that i continue to go back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They bought a large premesis on Capel Street in 2003 but sold it soon after the change in the licensing laws that same year. I can't see how they would have been able to operate their UK model here given the restriction on 'Happy Hour' promotions here.

There is no restriction on charging cheaper price early on and increasing them later on. In practice however there is no enforcement of happy hour here, The Capitol on George's Street is always doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

Went into town for dinner in October last i think. Quick pint before hand in "The Temple Bar" (Yeah i know, i should have known the drink was going to be expensive).
    Some "trad musician" and i mean that loosley was murdering songs in the corner, speakers were almost at cracking point, you know where the music has gone way past the volume it should have been at.
    Charged €14.70 for a Guinness and Barardi & coke (a can by the way). Haven't been back since..

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Any Dublin city centre pub is a rip off price wise.

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Any Dublin city centre pub is a rip off price wise.

Not totally true.
    There are pubs where you can get a reasonably-priced pint.
    Shorts on the otherhand tend to be a complete burn especially with the price of a mixer factored in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

bottle of heineken and vodka with cranberry juice came to just over 14 euro in the big Ron Blacks on Dawson street....

just got a few coins back from a twenty.

Only i was buying a girl from work a drink ....i would have asked him to reconsider the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You guys in Dublin must have 'FOOL' stamped on your head.

I have some magic beans for €20 if you like them.

Who the hell would pay €14 for a bottle of Heineken and a Vodka & Juice. DONT GO OUT TO DRINK, ONCE THEY HAVE NO CUSTOM THE PRICES WILL COME DOWN!

[MrTMode] Crazy fools [/MrTMode]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Chupa_chick

Odeons on harcourt are terrible - €5.50 for the gin, €3.00 for the tonic split (which is smaller than the normal soft drink one).

So next, I decide to get a gin and a bottle of OJ. Well no, in fact, they don't do bottles of OJ. So its €5.50 for the gin again, then €3.00 for the split. Which actually wasn't a split, it was a dash from a container.

Final try, I get a €5.80 gin (yes, its gone up), ask for the OJ seperately. Pour half in, turn around 20min later and the other half of my OJ has been taken by an enthusiastic glassy.

It'd drive anyone to drink pints, and I don't like drinking them that often, so bloaty!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I was in Taffee's in Galway. Ordered a southern comfort and pepsi. It came to near 9 euros! I then went to Sally Longs shortly afterwards and it came to just over 6 euro.

Jesus that is some difference!

Rarely go out in town these days due to cost, most just go to the local and then back to a friends house with the odd time hitting the local club.

Pints of Heineken are 4.80/4.90 Bakers Corner.

The OH is from mayo and there's great value in the village pub there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jdivision wrote: »
    There is no restriction on charging cheaper price early on and increasing them later on. In practice however there is no enforcement of happy hour here, The Capitol on George's Street is always doing them.
    There is nothing to stop "happy days". Also there are loopholes I have yet to see exploited. e.g. have a cheap non-popular beer/spirit, which mysteriously only comes into stock at 5pm and runs out at 7pm. ;)

When I now go to gigs in stadiums I bring in my own cans or bottles and drink outside the pubs before heading in, save a fortune and do not have to queue for ages to be overcharged. Also the gardai will do nothing since everybody is drinking on the street anyway.

For the ultimate is stashing beer.
    beer-belly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16 demail

€5.90 a pint of Carlsberg in the Baggot Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Kensington wrote: »
    €5.70 for a pint of Bulmers in Dorans the last time I was there - needless to say, don't go there very often!!!

It's a tourist area, of course the prices are going to be high.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

€6.00 for a pint of Becks in The Church, Dublin 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

€5.80 for a pint of Miller in " Full Shilling " in finglas

was €5 up till 12 then they hike it up , when i asked about it they said " we have to pay for late licence "

and its not even a nightclub

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

€6.00 for a pint of Becks in The Church, Dublin 1

That is unreal, especially bearing in mind it was on special offer in a load of pubs in the city centre about 6 months back!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Was in the Temple Bar (or Flannerys as it says on the receipt in my pocket!) trying to do my bord failte bit with an american friend visiting
    Bought a pint and a soft drink for the (designated driver - me!) gave in a tenner
    and FFS I was asked for more change as it was over 10euro!!!

Thieving gits...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

6.60 a pint of Heineken in 'the temple bar' pub :mad:

Organised thievery :(

Greedy scum..they'll be wondering why they're bankrupt in ayear or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Squidgie wrote: »
    Thats fu*king ridiculous :mad:

It really is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Squidgie wrote: »

Bleedin' scum!!! that's insane cash for a pint, hope they go out of business, poxy greedy pigs! Publicans would cut their nose off to spite their face, we should organise a total boycot of them, and don't let them give you the old guff bout wages and all that, it's a pile of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Alot of quite pubs who dont rip people off are struggling with overheads to be fair but The Temple Bar isnt on of them anytime I am in that place its packed to the raffters so there really isnt any need for them to be charging what they do.

Alot of quite pubs who dont rip people off are struggling with overheads to be fair but The Temple Bar isnt on of them anytime I am in that place its packed to the raffters so there really isnt any need for them to be charging what they do.

Thats because they get all the stag parties and tourists staying in the area.
    A disgracefull message to be sending out about the prices in this counrty.
    Greed,greedy scumbags.
    No wonder Irish peopole are staying away from pubs,if the govt werent hand in glove with the publicans they could intervene.

What's the craic with the pubs putting up their prices at half 11 then at 12 or something. Now that's uncalled for, that's just pure sneakiness.

Then they say they're putting a price freeze, big news, in all the papers at the time. They never put it in the papers when they used to raise their prices every month or so before. Bleeding us dry. Drink at home!

Was in town on Saturday nite, very quiet. Keoghs (5.10 pint of Heineken) is usually out the door, but was relatively 'empty' as was Ron Blacks. The pubs might get the message!

Gonna stick to the off licence from now on!

• Advertisement

Yeah it was packed that time I was in. Haven't went back since, only stayed for the one. I got 3 pints, gave a 20 quid note and got 20cent back, couldn't believe it, thought it was a mistake. Made the pint taste even worse than it already was!

Went off home! :mad:

Advertisement