Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Smyths in Malahide still charge lounge and bar prices and you'll end up paying above a tenner for two guinness in the both of them. Don't bother going across the road to gibneys they're worse, infact don't bother going out in malahide at all :mad:.

The extent of my going out in Dublin these days are a couple no more than 4 or 5 pints in the local followed by a chinese take away and we still don't get much change from 60 euro between the two of us.

Friend of mine lives over in Wales and on more than a few occasions I've had to ask the barman "did you take for all the pints" after getting my change back when visiting him.

Surely there must be a couple of barmen who post on boards, come on do ye not get embarressed when ye charge the prices ye do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Smyths in Malahide still charge lounge and bar prices and you'll end up paying above a tenner for two guinness in the both of them. Don't bother going across the road to gibneys they're worse, infact don't bother going out in malahide at all :mad:.

The extent of my going out in Dublin these days are a couple no more than 4 or 5 pints in the local followed by a chinese take away and we still don't get much change from 60 euro between the two of us.

Friend of mine lives over in Wales and on more than a few occasions I've had to ask the barman "did you take for all the pints" after getting my change back when visiting him.

Surely there must be a couple of barmen who post on boards, come on do ye not get embarressed when ye charge the prices ye do.

Place I work in Guinness is 4.20, Smithwicks is 4.30, any lager is 4.65, except Fosters and Miller which are 3.40 and 4.50 respectively, Bulmers is 4.50, Beamish is 3.65, bottles are around 4.65, large bottles of Bulmers are 5.30 though that'll be coming down next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was in rody bolands in rathmines on sat night. €4.90 for a pint of heineken then €5.80 after half 11, place was overcrowed and the music was way too loud. i left at 11.35 after refusing to pay the increased price

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

i was in rody bolands in rathmines on sat night. €4.90 for a pint of heineken then €5.80 after half 11, place was overcrowed and the music was way too loud. i left at 11.35 after refusing to pay the increased price

Fair play to you, only way to make any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

DTrotter wrote: »
    Really? I always thought the prices there were reasonable. God knows what they charge in the Dawson Street axis of evil.

Last Friday night, about 1 am, Cafe En Seine:

2 pints Guinness & 1 pint Budweiser = €31.50!!!!

Guinness €10 and Bud €11.50.

I told him to shove it up his hole and left but the place was packed.

Really!!! When you hear things like that you wonder if things are bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 b4nd1t

LiamD wrote: »
    You can't just compare punt prices 15 years ago with euro prices now, you need to allow for inflation.

If you take it at 3% then the punt price of your pint now is £2.50*(1.03^15) = £3.89. Converting to euro at €1.27/£ the price today should be €4.95. A lot of pubs in Dublin are charging close enough to this price for a pint.

This is totally inaccurate, for 1 i doubt that it was £2.50 per pint 15 years ago (1994). And when the euro was launched the exchange rate was from €0.60/£.

Also, it needs to be considered that although the CPI may rise over this period, certain goods may not rise at the same level of inflation due to many factors etc.

But let us just stick to facts such as proven research has found alcohol in Ireland to be the most expensive in the EU27 countries, by 181% of the AVERAGE!:eek:
    If this isnt excessive profit making, i dont know what is.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_1010596.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

///-

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that place is a kip, the actual pub is quite nice but full of pretentious wankbottles from what I've seen, with some luck there will be a new tax imposed on polo clubs or brown thomas lol, sadly there are too many pretentious pr1cks that frequent this place (that I mentioned up the page) that from the looks of it still have cash to burn.

b4nd1t wrote: »
    This is totally inaccurate, for 1 i doubt that it was £2.50 per pint 15 years ago (1994). And when the euro was launched the exchange rate was from €0.60/£.

Also, it needs to be considered that although the CPI may rise over this period, certain goods may not rise at the same level of inflation due to many factors etc.

But let us just stick to facts such as proven research has found alcohol in Ireland to be the most expensive in the EU27 countries, by 181% of the AVERAGE!:eek:
    If this isnt excessive profit making, i dont know what is.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_1010596.shtml

Think your way off with the exhcange rate, it was 0.787564, so 1 punt = EUR1.27 approx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

b4nd1t wrote: »
    It was me who mentioned the £2.50. Here is a thread from bargain alerts with a pub bringing prices back to 10 years ago.
    Pint of Guinness €4.50 €3.80
    Pint Heineken €5.05 €4.00
    Corona Extra €5.05 €3.50
    Vodka & Red Bull €8.65 €5.50
    So 10 years back they charging €3.80 which is €3.

Did you think it would have been more or less than £2.50 15 years ago. Thinking more about it now it might have been 16 years ago, this £2.50 was cheap enough but I do remember it pretty well, when you are young every penny counted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ten years ago in my local a pint of guinness was £2.10 and a pint of carlsberg was £2.20. i kept receipts from new years eve 99 and new years day 00 as memento's

Some old threads.

Draco wrote: »
    In Dublin, a pint of guinness is £2.40 - £2.50.
    In Galway a pint of guinness is £2 - £2.10.
    Lump wrote: »
    In Kilkenny a Pint of Guinness Was £2.10 then went up to £2.20, Same For Ale. Bulmers and that is around £2.50.

Samba wrote: »
    Note on the 40 ft, if you don't wanna get ripped off don't drink there on weekends after six, they jack up the price to €5.20 or somthing ridiculous, otherwise its the usual.
    I know a pint of Carlsberg cost £3.65 in my local which btw is cheaper then DCU "student"* bar.

*Student bar my fúcking ass! Pints are £3.90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

sugarman wrote: »
    €6 for a pint of guinness, Dorans in temple bar last week..:eek:

Il be sticking to my €3 pints in captain americas mon-thurs for now:D

Temple Bar in general is a total rip off. It's a shame that the epicentre of touristy Dublin is also the epicentre of rip-off-dom.

I was in the Market Bar with French and German people who were drinking away and saying how much they loved their impression of Dublin. Then the bill came (which, incidentally was brought by an obnoxious waiter). They were shocked. I was ashamed of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Are pubs meant to have a price freeze? (Vintners)

Its just that ive noticed a few places sneakily putting up prices by 10 or 20c recently

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Are pubs meant to have a price freeze? (Vintners)
    No, it was a marketing scam
    "We're not advocating that our members sell at any particular agreed price points and it is a matter for each publican to decide upon their own resale prices," said Val Hanley, chairman of the VFI.(Vintners Federation of Ireland)

"We believe the freeze will be honoured by the vast bulk of our members across the country."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1202/1228169324993.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 New2Galway

Havent Bulmers dropped their prices by 10% to what they sell it to bars. Wonder how many pubs will pass this on to us

New2Galway wrote: »
    Havent Bulmers dropped their prices by 10% to what they sell it to bars. Wonder how many pubs will pass this on to us
    The 10% is not restricted to bars, offies get it too, some offies have lowered the price, there was a guy who works in an offie saying
    grenache wrote: »
    Can i just point out to patrons, that the Bulmers price reduction does not extend to off licences. Thank you.
    and
    NOFLA has said its members will not pass on the reduction

And came up with utterly pathetic excuses/defence as to why. NOFLA is the national off licence association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TT Bone

Had to share this with you, charged €8 for a pint of guinness in an Irish Bar inTenerife during Grand Slam game v Wales! FFS! And the place was full of Brits cheering on Wales! Stayed just long enough for a good "In Your Face" celebration with a fellow "Paddy" then off we went!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Place I work in Guinness is 4.20, Smithwicks is 4.30, any lager is 4.65, except Fosters and Miller which are 3.40 and 4.50 respectively, Bulmers is 4.50, Beamish is 3.65, bottles are around 4.65, large bottles of Bulmers are 5.30 though that'll be coming down next week.

With Bulmers' price drop the pint of a large bottle is now 5 euro on the button.

• Advertisement

With Bulmers' price drop the pint of a large bottle is now 5 euro on the button.
    That is quite a reduction. Bulmers reduced by 10%. If you did only pass on the savings and it was €5.30 and dropped 30cent, then this would mean bulmers were charging you €3.00 per bottle and dropped this 10% to €2.70 and you passed on the 30cent.

So in effect your place has made quite a large reduction, as there is no way you were paying €3 a bottle.

Many wrongly thought pubs would reduce by 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

in one of my locals its only €4.60! with guinness at €4 and lager at €4.20

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I paid €5.80 for a pint bottle of Bulmer's Pear in the Stout Bar, Rathmines. Enuff said, won't be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

dudara wrote: »
    I paid €5.80 for a pint bottle of Bulmer's Pear in the Stout Bar, Rathmines. Enuff said, won't be returning.

Why would you buy cider in a stout bar? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's The Stout Bar, not a stout bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Paid €4.50 for a pint of Beamish in the Courtyard bar in Cork City last night (next to Cubins). Thankfully i didn't stay long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pricer

I paid €6 for a pint of heineken in Bruxelles - i was shocked.

Irish people piss me off though - we won't vote with our feet, we just piss & moan about it. I definitely will not be back to Bruxelles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

6.60 for a Hino in Oliver St John Gogartys
    The only bar in Ireland were the bar staff wear masks
    and securicor diliver your drink .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭leche solara

rubadub wrote: »
    That is quite a reduction. Bulmers reduced by 10%. If you did only pass on the savings and it was €5.30 and dropped 30cent, then this would mean bulmers were charging you €3.00 per bottle and dropped this 10% to €2.70 and you passed on the 30cent.

So in effect your place has made quite a large reduction, as there is no way you were paying €3 a bottle.

Many wrongly thought pubs would reduce by 10%.

Very few pubs that I've been in have passed on any reduction. One pub laughed at my suggestion that I should be paying less, saying "this is Ireland". Another claimed to have reduced the price from €5.90 to €5.70, when it has always been €5.70. Yet another claimed there was no reduction at all, and that the whole thing was a publicity stunt by Bulmers to get people buying it in the belief they were getting a bargain. When I contacted Bulmers they said it was at the discretion of the pubs to pass on the reduction, and that they could do nothing about it. They didnt seem too interested either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

I have to name and shame Harveys in Waterford!! They charge 5euros to get in on Fri and 10 on Sat!!! Madness especially when pints are most expensive in town and worst pints ever - all watered down. People of Waterford and visitors please stay well clear of this S@%*hole of place.

Advertisement