Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The Submarine in Crumlin has a sign up saying it's got the cheapest pint in Dublin. Doesn't say what it's a pint of though!

Not really shaming but I'd like to know where the cheap pints are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I don't think it's allowed - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0306/1224242371795.html

Price fixing cartel and all that
    That price freeze seemed very informal at the time, and it was supposed to be a cap on the price, you could reduce if you wanted, or that was the gist I got from it.

The Submarine in Crumlin has a sign up saying it's got the cheapest pint in Dublin. Doesn't say what it's a pint of though!
    Probably a pint of lukewarm tap water, a mere €3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Not really shaming but I'd like to know where the cheap pints are.

3.30.for guinness up to 6pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Price Freeze has been abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

5.80 for a bottle of Heineken in Dicey Rileys on Harcourt street at 8pm. Plus they were shockingly rude. Plus they tried to charge me a fiver to get in which I refused to pay. Then I had to buy two bottles because the min charge on a visa was 10 euro. Then they kcked me out of my seat at 9 because it was reserved (even though it had no reserved sign on it). I told the bouncer I would not be back and he said "I dont fukcing care". not only will I not be back but my company who has been going there for 10 years and has 200 employees wont either. The publicans have slaughtered the golden goose and are licking the last remaining pieces of meat off the bones as we speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bigsam

Bet no one can bet this charged 10 euros for vodka and mixer in templebar pub just before christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

E6.50 for a corona in the Academys 'No disko' on Saturdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

(i know its not a pint but)

€3.50 for a capuccino in Oriel House Hotel bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

kmick wrote: »
    5.80 for a bottle of Heineken in Dicey Rileys on Harcourt street at 8pm. Plus they were shockingly rude. Plus they tried to charge me a fiver to get in which I refused to pay. Then I had to buy two bottles because the min charge on a visa was 10 euro. Then they kcked me out of my seat at 9 because it was reserved (even though it had no reserved sign on it). I told the bouncer I would not be back and he said "I dont fukcing care". not only will I not be back but my company who has been going there for 10 years and has 200 employees wont either. The publicans have slaughtered the golden goose and are licking the last remaining pieces of meat off the bones as we speak.

I. Am. Stunned. What's the point in going out at all, with those prices and attitude? In fairness, Dicey's was never my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bacon?

markesmith wrote: »
    I. Am. Stunned. What's the point in going out at all, with those prices and attitude? In fairness, Dicey's was never my cup of tea.

i hope they die of gohenneria and rot in hell, cookie?

oh, €5.20 for a guiness and €6 for a glass of wine in cafe insane, is that bad? i think it's a bit steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

Dying for a pint of Guinness when in Dooblin a couple of weeks ago and prolly has been mentioned already but was charged €6.10 for it in a Temple Bar pub - par for the course I know.

It was gorgeous though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

kmick wrote: »

I was in there a few weeks ago on a work night out (it wouldn't normally be my cup of tea). I ordered a vodka with soda water and a dash of lime and they kindly charged me €1.50 for the dash of lime! Thieving b**tards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Got done for €2.50 for a pint of tap water with a dash of blackcurrant in Cassidys on Camden Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bacon?

it would be great if a top 10 could be done up.

maybe make a nice poster, "DUBLINS TOP 10 OVER PRICED PUBS. brought to you by boards.ie"

I reckon that would be hearld am and metro, newsworthy... mods?

some of the prices quoted on here are ridiculus, would be great to expose these places to a wider audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Buster_Gonnads

In the Vaults under Connolly station last Friday. I'd never normally go there but meeting friends. Was charged 5.90 per pint at 10:35 pm. Woulda sent them back except was my round. I asked him why so dear. He said its after 10:30. Are they serious 10:30 now!!! The place is a tip too. NEVER EVER EVER EVER going back there.

What a joke, don't they get it? I mean do they understand why the place is always empty!

In the Vaults under Connolly station last Friday. I'd never normally go there but meeting friends. Was charged 5.90 per pint at 10:35 pm. Woulda sent them back except was my round. I asked him why so dear. He said its after 10:30. Are they serious 10:30 now!!! The place is a tip too. NEVER EVER EVER EVER going back there.

What a joke, don't they get it? I mean do they understand why the place is always empty!

There's people drinking in Dublin pubs who do "rounds" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

There's people drinking in Dublin pubs who do "rounds" :eek:

Lol, obviously the credit crunch has not affected everyone that works in the IFSC yet!!!

Ref the Vaults, used to head in there about 4 years ago to watch the footy, good spot at the time but not been there in years.

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

He probably said that because on a Friday it's buy one get one free up till 10:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Dlite wrote: »
    He probably said that because on a Friday it's buy one get one free up till 10:00.

Talking about the Vaults, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Buster_Gonnads

Ok, I think they did have some offer of earlier. I only got in there about 9:30 so missed whatever 2 for 1 offer they had. I don’t know the details of their offer. Is it every day till 10 or just on a Friday?? Anyway that’s not the point. They have the gall to charge 5.90 in a non tourist spot, when the place is empty all the time. I bet the 5.90 pints at 10:30 are every day!

Either way, even if they do have offers, they also have a huge rip off. Made worse by the 10.30 thing, I suppose they think people will be drunk enough at this stage to not notice getting fleeced, very underhand way of ripping you off.

I’ll not be back ever and anyone who wants to meet there, I’ll be persuading them to head over to Kates around the corner. Think its only 4:40 EUR there and never had a bad pint yet!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ok, I think they did have some offer of earlier. I only got in there about 9:30 so missed whatever 2 for 1 offer they had. I don’t know the details of their offer. Is it every day till 10 or just on a Friday?? Anyway that’s not the point. They have the gall to charge 5.90 in a non tourist spot, when the place is empty all the time. I bet the 5.90 pints at 10:30 are every day!

Either way, even if they do have offers, they also have a huge rip off. Made worse by the 10.30 thing, I suppose they think people will be drunk enough at this stage to not notice getting fleeced, very underhand way of ripping you off.

I’ll not be back ever and anyone who wants to meet there, I’ll be persuading them to head over to Kates around the corner. Think its only 4:40 EUR there and never had a bad pint yet!

The vaults is a kip anyway,its like a nigerian brothel.

€5.70 for a Carlsberg in Capitol Georges St.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Diceys last week ... €6 pint of Heinekin.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lollipop08

€6.20 for bottle of Cider in Stags Head last night. . .this is getting silly, you would think they would be trying to attract punters not piss them off

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

I recently had my neice come over from the south east of England, while out for a drink in Mullingar I bought her a pint of Bulmers and she didn't believe it when I told her it was €4.70 - a pint of Magners in her local in the Uk is £1.90. No wonder they are laying people off.

She also couldn't believe how expensive minerals are over here - especially Lucazade.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Wouldn't mind seeing a google map for prices of pints, ripoff and otherwise.

Might result in a few people going to a different pub thats 5 mins away and sparing themselves the feeling of getting fleeced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

a5y wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing a google map for prices of pints, ripoff and otherwise.

Might result in a few people going to a different pub thats 5 mins away and sparing themselves the feeling of getting fleeced.

That'd be great actually.
    I know the pub up the way from me would get better business after that. €2.50 per lager and €3 for Guinness, shame its so small though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

sorry what pub is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭radiofreak

Buskers in Temple Bar. €5.65 for a bottle of miller and that was early evening midweek. robbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

€9.60 for a JD and coke in Dakota. Won't be setting foot in there ever again....

Advertisement