Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

DonFred wrote: »
    I have to name and shame Harveys in Waterford!! They charge 5euros to get in on Fri and 10 on Sat!!! Madness especially when pints are most expensive in town and worst pints ever - all watered down. People of Waterford and visitors please stay well clear of this S@%*hole of place.

Ha it's funny to think that Harveys is that bad it actually inspired this entire thread. The place is absolutely ridiculous though, 5.50-5.60 for a pint. There's actually another entire thread on there dedicated to how much of a rip off it is in the Waterford City section http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579981

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Posted this recently in another thread but it's relevant here too...

The CSO released their latest survey on Consumer Prices.....

Pint of Draught Lager:

In Dublin
    Lowest Average Price = 4.53
    Highest Average Price = 5.19
    Average = 4.85

Outside Dublin
    Lowest Average Price = 3.98
    Highest Average Price = 4.80
    Average = 4.33

Also for Vodka dublin averaged 4.05.

Outside Dublin = Regional cities and towns with population less than 20,000.

its here if you want to see it http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0626/csoprices.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Just go out on the speciall offer days. Some places do 2 euro a pint on a monday and Thursday in Temple bar and surrounding places. Only 10euro in, can't beat that!

Regarding name and shame pubs. Well it's your choice whether you want to pay the price for a pint or not. I prefer drinking in my house with friends, have a better laugh. Might go for the odd sneaky Guiness pint, can't beat it and frankly I would pay 7euro for a pint of Guiness if it was the best one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

live up here in Donegal on the border and when the football season is on during every premier league and champions league match in Derry its only £2 a pint, i know its sterling but still beats €4-€5 down south! and when theres no football on £2.70 is the max youll pay for a pint, prices in the south are ridiculous!!!
    the goverment asking us to spend locally, yeah no problem but drop the ****ing prices first!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Very few pubs that I've been in have passed on any reduction. One pub laughed at my suggestion that I should be paying less, saying "this is Ireland". Another claimed to have reduced the price from €5.90 to €5.70, when it has always been €5.70. Yet another claimed there was no reduction at all, and that the whole thing was a publicity stunt by Bulmers to get people buying it in the belief they were getting a bargain. When I contacted Bulmers they said it was at the discretion of the pubs to pass on the reduction, and that they could do nothing about it. They didnt seem too interested either.

I've noticed this too. Following on from my E5.80 pint bottle in the Stout Bar, Rathmines, I was charged E5.80 again by Coman's in Rathgar. Seriously, they're killing off their own trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

fiver for a bottle of beer in ukiyo..no draught either. I would have been tempted to hit the sake but if they're charging that much for a beer f**k knows what they'd charge for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

5e for lager in donaghmede inn......5.65 for pint bottle of cider

no windows in the place

no women in the place.

4.45 for guinness

packed mon-sun.....

go figure.:confused:

ps, guinnessisdynamite there imo.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

thebullkf wrote: »
    5e for lager in donaghmede inn......5.65 for pint bottle of cider

no windows in the place

no women in the place.

4.45 for guinness

packed mon-sun.....

go figure.:confused:

ps, guinnessisdynamite there imo.;)

Only time you get women in that place mate is on Friday nights after the Dunnes stores workers finish up at 10pm : )

Great guinness in there though....

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

I was charged €4.90 for a 330Ml bottle of Heiniken in Beleek Castle, Co. Mayo yesterday. Not even a PINT!!. (and don't get me started on soft drinks).

I think its time to do what my Polish friends do, get a Keg of Beer from Lidl and have a BBQ at home. Have been to a few and they are great crack.(for far less than a pub) And the beer is really not that bad!!. (Love Lech)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭bog master

Came a cross the Guinness Price Index along with CSO stats on average Industrial Wage.

Prices converted to Euro.

1994 Avg Ind. Wage €332.54 National Average Pint Guinness €2.34

2007 Avg Ind Wage €600.24 National Average Pint Guinness €4.03

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From today's Sunday Times.
    Many pub owners have not passed on a 10% cut in the price of a pint bottle of Bulmers cider which C&C, the drink’s manufacturer, had hoped would reduce it to below €5.

Just one in five pubs has given the full benefit of the discount to drinkers, a Sunday Times survey discovered last week. Four pubs out of 20 surveyed nationwide had reduced the cider drink by 10% and some of these were charging way above the average price beforehand.

When C&C announced its initiative in May, a pint bottle of Bulmers cost an average of €5.50 in Dublin and €5.04 elsewhere. After reducing the cost to the publican by 10%, C&C advised customers in a nationwide advertising campaign that they should expect a similar reduction at the bar. The company said its aim was to get the price below €5.

However, while most Dublin pubs have cut the price somewhat, just three out of 10 contacted last week had passed on the full price reduction. The three that did were The Bailey, Ron Black’s and Searson’s, which had been charging €6.60,€6.10 and€6 respectively. Their prices now stand at €6.00, €5.50 and €5.40.

In the Bleeding Horse on Camden Street, staff said that the price of a pint bottle had not been reduced at all and remains at €5.60. In Davy Byrne’s the drink used to be €6.40, but is now €5.95. A 10% deduction would have brought it down to €5.76. In Bruxelles it dropped from €6.40 to €6.10.

In a further 10 pubs surveyed in Waterford, Galway and Limerick, the price of a Bulmer’s pint bottle was below a fiver, although the 10% cut had not been passed on fully. Just one pub, Matt Molloy’s in Westport, has cut the price fully and now charges €4.70.

Barry Fleming, manager of the Bleeding Horse, said that suppliers have yet to factor in the 10% cut: “Bulmers just announced it and never told anyone, so it is only starting to come into effect. We’ll be looking at it in a few weeks.”

In Cafe En Seine, a pint bottle cost €5.80, down only €0.30. Jason Denham, group marketing manager of Capital Bars, the company that runs the Dawson Street pub, said the staff have “no control” over the price. A reduction had been made on the basis of a price cut from the wholesaler.

Bulmers said that anecdotal figures compiled by its wholesalers suggest that 55% of publicans have passed on the full reduction. “We would hope they do, but we can’t force them,” it said.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    From today's Sunday Times.
    Christ those stupid journalist's make my blood boil.
    In Cafe En Seine, a pint bottle cost €5.80, down only €0.30
    That is more than passing on the 10% reduction. I wonder if the publicans reducing it more can figure out the very basic maths. As I explained earlier.
    rubadub wrote: »
    That is quite a reduction. Bulmers reduced by 10%. If you did only pass on the savings and it was €5.30 and dropped 30cent, then this would mean bulmers were charging you €3.00 per bottle and dropped this 10% to €2.70 and you passed on the 30cent.

So in effect your place has made quite a large reduction, as there is no way you were paying €3 a bottle.

Many wrongly thought pubs would reduce by 10%.

I was charged €4.90 for a 330Ml bottle of Heiniken in Beleek Castle, Co. Mayo yesterday. Not even a PINT!!.
    That is cheap, a bottle of heineken usually costs more than a pint IME. You'd be mad to buy longnecks, as I explain here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411189

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Surely the 10% reduction was on cost price to the publican, which does not equate to a 10% drop in price to the customer....more like 5% depending on markup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Very few pubs that I've been in have passed on any reduction. One pub laughed at my suggestion that I should be paying less, saying "this is Ireland". Another claimed to have reduced the price from €5.90 to €5.70, when it has always been €5.70. Yet another claimed there was no reduction at all, and that the whole thing was a publicity stunt by Bulmers to get people buying it in the belief they were getting a bargain. When I contacted Bulmers they said it was at the discretion of the pubs to pass on the reduction, and that they could do nothing about it. They didnt seem too interested either.

It is at the pubs discretion, definitley. Bulmers actually sent all the pubs in the country a letter sometime ago about this and advised them it would be in their interests to pass on the saving to customers. A few pubs in Limerick have and charge as low as €4.70 for a pint bottle of Bulmers pear. But the usual popular bars are charging €5.20. It's a ripoff for sure.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Camarague wrote: »
    Temple Bar in general is a total rip off. It's a shame that the epicentre of touristy Dublin is also the epicentre of rip-off-dom.

That's the same the world over. The epicentre of touristy Paris is also the worst place to find value (though there is a sanwicherie on the Champs which is ok value).

The problem is when pubs that aren't in the epicentre are charging mad prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I was in The Temple Bar last night with work. When the credit card was taken away near the end of the night I got another round in.

To my amazement a pint of Heinikein was €6.60!!!!

What a joke and they'll get away with it because its mostly tourists that frequent the place

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PurplePossum

rayc wrote: »
    Posted this recently in another thread but it's relevant here too...

The CSO released their latest survey on Consumer Prices.....

Pint of Draught Lager:

In Dublin
    Lowest Average Price = 4.53
    Highest Average Price = 5.19
    Average = 4.85

Outside Dublin
    Lowest Average Price = 3.98
    Highest Average Price = 4.80
    Average = 4.33

Also for Vodka dublin averaged 4.05.

Outside Dublin = Regional cities and towns with population less than 20,000.

its here if you want to see it http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0626/csoprices.pdf
    Totally farsical figures!! "Highest price in dublin 5.19"???? Where did they get that from. Try 6.50 for a pint of Bulmers in some places. And 5.40 for a shot glass of Jagermeister in Hairy Lemon. Dublin prices are mental. Why do we pay them??

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

Dublin prices are mental. Why do we pay them??

cause if there is anything worse than the drink, its the thirst!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Dublin prices are mental. Why do we pay them??

I very rarely do anymore

Used to go to the pub once or twice a week in Dublin, more like once every one or two months now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Frank66

My eyes were finally opened last weekend in Liverpool. I was paying 1.90(pounds) for a Guinness in some places in the Cavern Quarter. Some bars a little more but still below a Saturday in the city centre here.
    As well, there is a tequlia bar that had 1 pound shots and great deals on double vodka Red Bulls. 1 pound for a good portion of tasty chips on the way back to my room. The trip was totally worth the 14 euro plane ride.

It's been suggested here "don't want to pay the Dublin price? then don't pay it and keep complaining"
    I'm sold, rip off Dublin pubs get no more of my $.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Paid 5.40 for a bottle of miller in barrys of douglas ,cork last nite - rip off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I was in Purty Kitchen there a good few months ago and they were selling bottles for €6. Couldn't believe it. What makes it worse is you had to pay €15 euro in to the bollickin place.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

anyone that pays a fiver or more for a pint deserves to be robbed :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 minemine

I was in Galway last year and was charged €3 for a pint of Ribena!!!!!!! in the Radisson, seriously ( It was a hangover cure on a sunday morning)

Also in that bar Tosh on Eyre Square, I asked for a pint of water, as had a lot of drink taken, they said they didnt give out tap water and would have to charge me the price of 2 x still ballygowan. I couldnt stop laughing at them and asked were they charging for the ice or was that free!! They actually got annoyed at me for laughing, I tied to tell them that is against the law (didnt know if it was or not) but was laughing so hard I dont know if they heard me!!

But the best was at a wedding in the Shelbourne (ok i know it the shelbourne but still) a vodka and coke €9.80 after 11pm, a glass of wine €8 before 11 and €10 after 11 (small glass of house wine) pint over €6 before 11
    unreal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Frank66 wrote: »
    My eyes were finally opened last weekend in Liverpool. I was paying 1.90(pounds) for a Guinness in some places in the Cavern Quarter. Some bars a little more but still below a Saturday in the city centre here.
    As well, there is a tequlia bar that had 1 pound shots and great deals on double vodka Red Bulls. 1 pound for a good portion of tasty chips on the way back to my room. The trip was totally worth the 14 euro plane ride.

It's been suggested here "don't want to pay the Dublin price? then don't pay it and keep complaining"
    I'm sold, rip off Dublin pubs get no more of my $.:rolleyes:

I know quite a few people who go abroad on a cheap Ryanair flight once every month or two paid for by not going out drinking in Dublin anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

e2.80...small bottle of water...west county ennis :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

5 euro pint of carlsberg in ormonde in kilkenny, I know it's not as expensive as other examples here but sickening after coming home from Portugal this week where I was paying €1.50 for a pint of superbock. A round of beer for 8 was 12 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭radiofreak

The Vat House at Blooms Hotel Temple Bar after 11pm.

Pint Bottle of Bulmers €7.40
    Pint Of Carlsberg €6.20
    Can Of Coke €3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

bog master wrote: »
    Came a cross the Guinness Price Index along with CSO stats on average Industrial Wage.

Prices converted to Euro.

1994 Avg Ind. Wage €332.54 National Average Pint Guinness €2.34

2007 Avg Ind Wage €600.24 National Average Pint Guinness €4.03

Where is this wage you speak of - I have never seen anything like that being paid out in these parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Garvan

What happened to the ads Bulmers put out saying the price of a pint bottle would be dropping??? Hasn't happened in the pubs I've been in.

Also €6.50 in Cafe-insane for a pint of lager?? You'd want to be sh1t-faced going in to stomach paying that!!! :confused:

Advertisement