Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

It's 50c to €1 for a pint of any of the three local beers in Bulgaria,
    everywhere in Ireland is a rip off!

Con: my livers probably weaping.

Pro: Probably better in a way its more expensive to drink here can you imagine what Dublin CC would be like on a Friday/Saturday night if pints were 60c each?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Danno wrote: »
    Where is this wage you speak of - I have never seen anything like that being paid out in these parts.

Yeh, the mystical average. Going by the average pint being 4 quid on the index, it should be average but we all know its well above average around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭worded

So happy hours are illeagal.

What about promotions?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

worded wrote: »
    So happy hours are illeagal.

What about promotions?
    Read my post here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61383987&postcount=79

I went into fitzsimons in Temple Bar and asked for a Pear Kopperberg. The came back with a warm plastic half pint bottle for 6.11 . I just told them that i didnt want it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

paid €7.80 for a VERY warm flat bulmers off the tap into a plastic pint cup, no ice offered, and a room temp 300ml (?) glass bottle of coke for the lady in the Prince Bar in Athlone. no matter how i look at it, i see RIPOFF. the bulmers was revolting. stupidly a third of it was drank before i had a sip, otherwise i would have poured it over the guys head who served it to me. there werent even bubbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Ventured into the Lombard in Dublin 2 last friday (used to be Mahaffey's). Not exactly a pub in a brilliant location bustling with business

€4.90 for guinness and €5.30 for lager. No wonder I rarely go out in town anymore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

It's 50c to €1 for a pint of any of the three local beers in Bulgaria,
    everywhere in Ireland is a rip off!

Con: my livers probably weaping.

Pro: Probably better in a way its more expensive to drink here can you imagine what Dublin CC would be like on a Friday/Saturday night if pints were 60c each?

What's the minimum wage there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Sawdoctors gig castlebar mayo last friday

tf hotel €8.50 for a vodka and redbull

^ I was like WTF!!! Come on id buy a six pack of redbull and a naggin for that if I shopped around;)

The prices they charge are a pure rip off:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: <see 5 angry faces thats just how I feel:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Briefly walked into Oliver St John Gogartys in Temple Bar last night and noticed on the price list that at night, the cost of a pint bottle of bulmers is...€7.40.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 BuachaillAbroad

Been reading this thread & I'm shocked!

I'm living in Belgium now & the quality & price of the beers is much better than Ireland...nightlife better IMO too

For example, was back at Christmas;

Porterhouse, bottom of Grafton Street: Corona €5
    Old Oak, Brussels: Corona about €2,20

& from a holiday in Munich...
    Hacker-Pschorr Beerhall, Munich: 1 stein (1L) €5

Think if I was living in Ireland, I'd what we did in college...homebrew
    Worked out at about €1 for a pint...took awhile to get right but better than any pint you'd get in Temple Bar!

BuachaillAbroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rugger7

€6.30 for a bottle of Heineken in The Church. But I had to pay €8.30 coz the retard of a barman dropped the €2 coin and said I didn't give it to him! the only drink I got in there that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

€6.20 for a bottle of Bud in Dicey's a month ago. This is on top of a cover charge of €5 to get into the place after 11pm. Needless to say I have not been back.

MOH wrote: »
    Lot of places display two prices on the price list, normal price and late/after 11pm price.

Dicey Reilly's on Harcourt St, €5 or €5.20 for a pint shortly after 8pm. Second pint about 40 minutes later, €6. And there's a €5 cover charge after 9pm.

clevtrev wrote: »
    Was in for a few pints after work in Dicey Rileys on Harcourt St. The first round I bought the lager was 5 euro a pint (cant remember cost of shorts but ok) - pretty good methinks. Goes for a second round at 8:03p.m. and all prices increased by 1 euro (from 8pm) - 6euro for lager. So the moral of the story is to get your round in before 8 !

kmick wrote: »
    5.80 for a bottle of Heineken in Dicey Rileys on Harcourt street at 8pm. Plus they were shockingly rude. Plus they tried to charge me a fiver to get in which I refused to pay. Then I had to buy two bottles because the min charge on a visa was 10 euro. Then they kcked me out of my seat at 9 because it was reserved (even though it had no reserved sign on it). I told the bouncer I would not be back and he said "I dont fukcing care". not only will I not be back but my company who has been going there for 10 years and has 200 employees wont either. The publicans have slaughtered the golden goose and are licking the last remaining pieces of meat off the bones as we speak.
    GBX wrote: »
    Diceys last week ... €6 pint of Heinekin.

In Diceys for first time in a few years last week - arrived 8.45pm and got charged the fiver - only paid in cos had arranged to meet people there. Ordered a heineken - €6 at 8.50pm. Robbers. Anyway the six of us left after the first drink - but they got €11 per pint on that basis.

then went to Cafe en Seine (yes, full of prats) and marvelled at how clever we were having found a place that only charged €5.90 :mad:

That was at 9.30pm. Have no memory of what I was charged later on - but felt poor next morning.

If someone had the time, t'wud be good to compile a summary of this whole thread and do a "name and shame" job. Send it to the Indo and the Times and the Star etc etc - sure they'd love to publish it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Like A Fox

€6 for a pint in Bruxelles on a Saturday night.

I'm gonna go specially in there with an empty naggin of vodka and leave it in the bathroom to p1ss em off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Just saw this now.

€6.20 for a pint bottle of Bulmers in Electric Avenue in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Like A Fox wrote: »

I'm gonna go specially in there with an empty naggin of vodka and leave it in the bathroom to p1ss em off!

I was just going to post about Bruxelles. We paid 12.30 for two drinks there on Friday night. Watching the till, I could see that pints of lager were 6 and pints of Guinness were 5.60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

If you all just stop drinking in these places..... they would have to stop charging ridiculous prices for their drinks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 wealthyboris

Not sure if already mentioned, but I paid €5.70 for a Carlsberg in the Hairy Lemon mid-week :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

If you all just stop drinking in these places..... they would have to stop charging ridiculous prices for their drinks! :)

Been through this already! Cant be arsed to go through it again.

€7.20 for a West Coast Cooler Rose in the temple bar :eek: she didnt get another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭depaor01

Monart is a "Destination Spa" in Enniscorthy. Beautiful location so understandably drink is premium price.... but 9 Euro for a 500 ml bottle of Erdinger????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

dudara wrote: »
    I was just going to post about Bruxelles. We paid 12.30 for two drinks there on Friday night. Watching the till, I could see that pints of lager were 6 and pints of Guinness were 5.60.

I complained about the price of pints to the barman there once, and he told me to go drink somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

In Waterford - like 1 or 2 people own the majority of the bars. It's pretty expensive here no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

baztard wrote: »
    I complained about the price of pints to the barman there once, and he told me to go drink somewhere else.

What else was the barman supposed to do in that situation. If you want to complain, ask for a manager, it still wouldn't make much of a difference but at least you get the satisfaction of complaining to the one who has set the price and not the one who is there to merely serve the drink.

If I may go off on a tangent here for a moment, there are many people that I talk to who complain about the cost of drink, amongst other things. If you think the cost of drink in one establishment is too high then stop going there. What incentive does the entrepreneur have to decrease prices when people are still willing to purchase said item at a high price?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Another thing bruxelles are known for..rude and surly barmen.
    That and the high prices is the reason that myself and at least ten other people i know refuse to set foot in the kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

he told me to go drink somewhere else.
    That is good sound advice all the same! hope you followed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

In other countries there can be a huge variation in the price of drink depending on where you drink. Ireland and the UK seem to set the expectation that a 5-star hotel be only 1 or two euro dearer than a cheap bar.
    We are not as bad as Paris and other continental destinations, try Charles bridge in Prague or Venice........ for gouging prices.
    I know there is a social dimension to the "decision" to pay dear drink prices, no one likes to feel mean or penny-pinching in front of the mates, the girlfriend etc...
    Bar managers and owners know this and exploit it to the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnnicko

Skeff bar and King's Head in Galway both 4.95 for a long neck bottle of Bud ridiculous. 24 bottles for 19euro in dunnes no wonder nobody is drinking in the pubs anymore....................

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

OLIVER ST JOHN GOGARTYS is without a doubt the biggest rip off - went there for arthurs day as there were no tickets left for anywhere else, gin & tonic and a whiskey and coke cost €18 euro, and the night itself was a disgrace, tried to complain and was abused by their manager, a shocking experience, they clearly get away with their rpicing and attitude as its a tourist trap with no repeat customers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

€5.70 for a longneck bottle of Bulmer's Light in Russell's of Ranelagh recently (photo). Another pub crossed off my list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Like A Fox wrote: »

dudara wrote: »

Didn't realise that Bruxelles had gone up to €6 for pints. Is there all day every day or only after a set time ? Neither are acceptable but we've to unfortunately accept these "after 11pm" price hikes are still in quite a few places.
    johnnicko wrote: »
    Skeff bar and King's Head in Galway both 4.95 for a long neck bottle of Bud ridiculous. 24 bottles for 19euro in dunnes no wonder nobody is drinking in the pubs anymore....................

I was there last week. It was an incredibly "fancy" looking city centre restaurant and bar. We didn't have a drink cause we knew it'd be a rip off. I'd say they reel the tourists in.

Advertisement