Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

€5 for a pint of Heineken in THE HALFWAY HOUSE - ASHTOWN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

o'donoghues - €4.90 for a Guinness

Cheapest pub in city cenre of Dublin for a Guinness btw is Karma on Fishambles St, just down from Christchurch - €3.70

I think that'sthe cheapest in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

Was in the auld dub in temple bar last week,asked for a pint of coke{i was driving}and he tried to charge me 6 euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭robgloster

Thomand Park €5 a pint. Trinity Rooms €5.80 a month ago for a pint of cidar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

€6 for a bottle of beer on saturdays in Purty Kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

if there is anything worse than the drink, its the thirst!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The Brog in cork city, all pints €2.90 weekdays before 9pm. Needless to say, absolute mayhaem at the bar at ten to nine...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

groomek wrote: »
    Was in the auld dub in temple bar last week,asked for a pint of coke{i was driving}and he tried to charge me 6 euro?

That is actually cheap for a pub. In my local a 200ml coke is €2.80, you need 3 of these to (oiver) fill a pint glass. So €8.40.

I expect he might have only given you 400ml (2 €3 bottles) and topped the rest with ice.

Never understand why people feel the need to drink pints of softdrinks when they rarely would at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

rubadub wrote: »
    That is actually cheap for a pub. In my local a 200ml coke is €2.80, you need 3 of these to (oiver) fill a pint glass. So €8.40.

I expect he might have only given you 400ml (2 €3 bottles) and topped the rest with ice.

Never understand why people feel the need to drink pints of softdrinks when they rarely would at home.

Fcuck that.
    I've been sober since january and i've only ever ordered pints of water with ice in pubs.
    Its illegal to charge for tapwater and they know it,it'll make up for all the times they fleeced me for drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Possibly THE MOST EXPENSIVE PINT in Ireland 6.60 euro for a pint of Bud in Oliver gogarty's in temple bar!!!!!!!n please correct me if Im wrong!!:eek::confused::eek::confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

heybaby wrote: »
    Possibly THE MOST EXPENSIVE PINT in Ireland 6.60 euro for a pint of Bud in Oliver gogarty's in temple bar!!!!!!!n please correct me if Im wrong!!:eek::confused::eek::confused:

did you pay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

U are correct. I paid the same a few weeks ago. Would never step foot in the place again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

1. €19.00 for a Champagne cocktail in the Clarendon..:D

2. €3 for a can of coke as a mixer in the Temple Bar Inn.

3. €11 for a vodka and coke in Lapellos...:o

4. €20 for a small bottle of champers at the Leonard Cohen concert last year...

5. €55.00 for a Baileys and Hennessy XO in Lima, Peru....I even kept the receipt.

tommyhaas wrote: »
    The Brog in cork city, all pints €2.90 weekdays before 9pm. Needless to say, absolute mayhaem at the bar at ten to nine...

The draw back with the Brog..is that is full of crustys and students...

groomek wrote: »

In fairness, a pint of coke is just disgusting...how many fillings have you?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

same price in the templebar - if the yank chicks we were creepin' on weren't so hot, they wouldn't have gotten my business, difficult decisions have to be made

if your drinking in town, hit cassidy's. €12 for a pitcher of fosters/bavaria ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

2. €3 for a can of coke as a mixer in the Temple Bar Inn.
    That is actually quite cheap. A 200ml coke is €2.80 in my local which is not particularly pricey (relatively). You got 330ml for €3, so 200ml works out at €1.80. Or 330ml in my local costs €4.62.

Though I do prefer it from the glass bottle, but not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

will1977 wrote: »
    U are correct. I paid the same a few weeks ago. Would never step foot in the place again

Oliver gogarty's is owned by the same guy who also owns Blooms Hotel and the awful Club M within, which is also a total rip off. I was in town on Friday and Saturday night last and its quite surprising how quiet some pubs are, the mercantile on Dame street for example was so quiet they didnt even open all the bars in it. Citibar was also very quiet. What is surprising though is that there was a queue down th street to get into the Palace on Camden street and likewise Flannerys both of which put the price of their pint up at 11, i do not understand this. I think Ireland must be one of the only countries in the world that puts the price of drink at 11pm, we really are idiots in this country!!!:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Polar101

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    o'donoghues - €4.90 for a Guinness

I get the (bad) feeling this the kind of stuff we'll see in the "good value pints" thread next year..

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    I get the (bad) feeling this the kind of stuff we'll see in the "good value pints" thread next year..

What's a good value pint ?
    Oliver gogarty's is owned by the same guy who also owns Blooms Hotel and the awful Club M within, which is also a total rip off. I was in town on Friday and Saturday night last and its quite surprising how quiet some pubs are, the mercantile on Dame street for example was so quiet they didnt even open all the bars in it. Citibar was also very quiet. What is surprising though is that there was a queue down th street to get into the Palace on Camden street and likewise Flannerys both of which put the price of their pint up at 11, i do not understand this. I think Ireland must be one of the only countries in the world that puts the price of drink at 11pm, we really are idiots in this country!!!:(:(:(:(

You'll probably find that the same 4 guys own every pub in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Usually, on the bottom of the price list, in small writing, it'll say "prices to increase by %". And you'll see a figure 8 or something scribbled in before the percentage. Sometimes it'll mention an exact figure, but usually a percentage.

If you said 48cents, it'd seem a bit steep, but if it said 12%, you wouldn't think of how much 12% is of €4, and continue to walk in. Also, when drunk, it's harder to do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

5.20 for a small bottle of miller Siam Thai Malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Saw on the price list in some pub in Athlone(can't remember name now) that a pint bottle of Bulmers was €7.90:mad: That's crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Harry's Bar Paris.

saw friends receipt from last weekend

Pint Carlsberg - €11.50
    Bellini Cocktail - €14

Total for 3 rounds of drinks for 3 people was €100!!!! - AND they expected a tip.

Considering he's from a small village where guinness is still €3.60, I'm surprised he didn't have a heart attack!

Anything special about the bar? - Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

my local got done up recently and the prices went up by a euro....:confused:

i woudl much rather it stayed the more comfortable ****ty dive that it was not some poncy place where everyones afraid to sit down.....

although speaking of poncy places - i was in cafe en seine a whole ago and vaguely rememberign paying over 6 euro for a pint of heino before i passed out with the shock. i think most places ptu up the price of drink after midnight - maybe they think noone will notice??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Was up in Dublin on Paddys day and was in Messrs McGuires and was given a receipt back with my change. Had a look at it and saw that a pint bottle of bulmers on it was €7.90!!! Couldn't believe it.

Was over in Manchester for a game last week and we had dinner before the game at out hotel which was in the centre of Manchester and had two steak dinners with two pints for £16. We have been thinking lately of going over to England at the weekend more regularly as we would probably save money rather than going out for the weekend at home!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

jclare56 wrote: »
    my local got done up recently and the prices went up by a euro....:confused:

how long ago? I thought there was supposed to be a price freeze?

I don't think it's allowed - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0306/1224242371795.html

Price fixing cartel and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

how long ago? I thought there was supposed to be a price freeze?

just over a year ago...

Advertisement