Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You know well not to go their again. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

3.80 for a vodka in Corrigans, Drogheda, Co Louth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

No prices to report. Just to say, great idea for a thread.

Maybe other boardsies will do similar for other products (I know petrol price thread is going on the "Limerick city region" section).

I'll be on the lookout to report rip off drink prices (and report same here).

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Biggins wrote: »

thats a bargain by galway city standards

(if thats sarcasm you need the :pac: smiley)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Biggins wrote: »

I would have thought 3.80 to have been an average sort of price thanks MonsieurD. I have been in temple bar a good bit and the norm seems to be €5 - €5.50 which i would expect from a tourist place like that-still a rip off tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The biggest joke is, there was some bint on Morning Ireland whingeing about pubs closing and job losses etc., and all sorts of reasons why drink shouldn't go up in the budget. I don't drink so I don't give a toss either way but the hypocrisy of the drink barons is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

€5.70 for a pint of Bulmers in Dorans the last time I was there - needless to say, don't go there very often!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

if you don't like the price then don't pay the money!

Cabaal wrote: »

It's not always that simple, particularly in rural areas. As a non-drinker I am often asked to ferry friends/family to other areas because they do not like the local pubs, be it for price or otherwise. If I am not available then it's a choice of taking a taxi (defeats the purpose) or running foul of Mr. Plod.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bmaxi wrote: »
    It's not always that simple, particularly in rural areas. As a non-drinker I am often asked to ferry friends/family to other areas because they do not like the local pubs, be it for price or otherwise. If I am not available then it's a choice of taking a taxi (defeats the purpose)
    I really think it is that simple. You say defeats the purpose, what purpose? Do you mean the cost of the taxi is so much it outweighs the savings from going to the distant pub for cheap drink?

If you local shop charged €3 for a pint of milk would you pay it? or would you pay €3 on petrol to go to a cheaper shop?

I view an overpriced local pub just like a convenience store, they charge what the market will pay.

Also these days pubs legally must display prices so it is no secret, and there is nothing to stop you asking what the price is before you buy it. With nearly every single other product out there people will know the price before buying, if not marked they will ask, or if not asked they will refuse it if it is high (e.g. you ask for a bar and then are asked €2 you say no). people just do not do this with drink for some reason, even though they know it is common to be charged a lot, and get annoyed about it.

I am not sure of the legality of the whole situation, I know not all drinks prices have to be listed. If a barman has poured the drink can you still legally refuse to pay, or has some contract been made by asking for it. (I know you could claim you have no money and walk). But is the onus on them to display or tell you the price if not displayed?

Because if the onus is on them you could start going into these pubs and screwing them over to prove a point, e.g. order a rake of pints, price not listed, then refuse to pay and walk out.

The law on price displays was pretty poor, they should be made have a big menu like a mcdonalds or something, or prices on the tap themselves, though it might takeaway from the look of the place. Many are just inside a door and not really readily accessible due to bouncers or people in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Cabaal wrote: »

werd

people bitching about paying these prices are the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

rubadub wrote: »
    I really think it is that simple. You say defeats the purpose, what purpose? Do you mean the cost of the taxi is so much it outweighs the savings from going to the distant pub for cheap drink?

If you local shop charged €3 for a pint of milk would you pay it? or would you pay €3 on petrol to go to a cheaper shop?

I view an overpriced local pub just like a convenience store, they charge what the market will pay.

Also these days pubs legally must display prices so it is no secret, and there is nothing to stop you asking what the price is before you buy it. With nearly every single other product out there people will know the price before buying, if not marked they will ask, or if not asked they will refuse it if it is high (e.g. you ask for a bar and then are asked €2 you say no). people just do not do this with drink for some reason, even though they know it is common to be charged a lot, and get annoyed about it.

I am not sure of the legality of the whole situation, I know not all drinks prices have to be listed. If a barman has poured the drink can you still legally refuse to pay, or has some contract been made by asking for it. (I know you could claim you have no money and walk). But is the onus on them to display or tell you the price if not displayed?

Because if the onus is on them you could start going into these pubs and screwing them over to prove a point, e.g. order a rake of pints, price not listed, then refuse to pay and walk out.

The law on price displays was pretty poor, they should be made have a big menu like a mcdonalds or something, or prices on the tap themselves, though it might takeaway from the look of the place. Many are just inside a door and not really readily accessible due to bouncers or people in the way.
    they must display a certain number and range of prices outside with a full pricelist in the premises in plain view to customers afaik

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

foggy_lad wrote: »
    they must display a certain number and range of prices outside with a full pricelist in the premises in plain view to customers afaik

What about all of the pubs that increase their prices after a certain time at night?
    Are they supposed to put up new price lists?

Exactly. Why pay €20 to travel for the sake of saving €10, plus the hassle. As an ex Dub who moved to Wexford it always amuses me when people who have, in relative terms, an excellent public transport system, fail to appreciate the difficulties those living outside the Capital have in terms of travelling even a few miles. There are no buses, Darts, Luases etc. and if you recall what it was like trying to get a taxi in Dublin at 2 a.m. on a Saturday, before deregulation, then that's what it's like 365 here.
    The local convenience store does, in fact, charge the highest price possible and is supported by what is, in effect, a captive audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not complaining about the pint (price off as such) but ordered a take out from Campions (Malahide Rd, Dublin) recently and was given Carlsberg can's imported from N.I. (the muck is only 3.2% up there).

Charged normal price for them too :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thats a very good idea, but hard to impliment in the bars which put up their prices after a certain hour and for every hour there after.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Mairt wrote: »
    Not complaining about the pint (price off as such) but ordered a take out from Campions (Malahide Rd, Dublin) recently and was given Carlsberg can's imported from N.I. (the muck is only 3.2% up there).

Charged normal price for them too :mad:

Imported ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

€6 for a Guinness in Cafe En Seine - Cafe Insane it should be called.

And lads, 11pm price increases shouldn't start at 10.55pm either.

That’s what I have the biggest problem with. The prices increasing at certain times and then in some places every hour on the hour. I am aware of the price lists are usually hanging up on the way into a venue by the door but have never seen anyone changing them at certain times and even so what am I suppose to do go back out at 12 to check the new price list. Also to those saying if you don’t like the price don’t pay, what happens if you are out for the night with friends, are you suppose to leave them there because you don’t want to pay for a pint. Don’t get me wrong I know the vintners in this country are under increasing strain I know this especially because I leased a pub for two years but there is no need for daylight robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread moved to Rip Off Ireland.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Price increases after certain hours should be outlawed. A fcuking pint takes the same amount of time to pour at 3pm as it does at 11pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Don't go out much these days to be honest. The reason being the cost.

Met some friends for a drink friday night. €6 for a pint of bulmers in The Barge. Think lager was €5.60.

Last time I was in cafe en seine I was charged €5.20 for a guiness, said I'd never be back and haven't been since (this was about 2004). The Barge can add their name to that list as well now.

Absolutely not worth it, I can't remember the last time I went out and came home having spent a fortune thinking 'That was worth it'. The best pints are in quieter 'old man' type pubs. I used to drink guinness in an inner city pub for €4 a go and it was as good as you'd get anywhere. Add in the fact that the barman actually served customers rather than just posing behind the bar and it was my kind of pub

I drink mostly at home these days, luckily the girlfriend is a good cook so we often invite friends over for dinner etc. Its better than being in a large pub with rubbish music blarring in my ears and even factoring in the cost of a meal for 4-6 friends is much cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SteveC wrote: »
    What about all of the pubs that increase their prices after a certain time at night?
    Are they supposed to put up new price lists?
    Not sure, I have asked this before in other threads with no answer.
    bmaxi wrote: »
    As an ex Dub who moved to Wexford it always amuses me when people who have, in relative terms, an excellent public transport system, fail to appreciate the difficulties those living outside the Capital have in terms of travelling even a few miles. There are no buses, Darts, Luases etc.
    Well many do realise, and hence they decide to pay the massive house prices in dublin for this convenience, amongst others. Though you will see ignorant dubs moving out thinking it is all cheap houses & cheap pints, then paying a fortune on fuel commuting, and missing out on potential overtime for that commute time.
    Danno wrote: »
    Price increases after certain hours should be outlawed. A fcuking pint takes the same amount of time to pour at 3pm as it does at 11pm.
    Well they banned reducing them (happy hour). I think it actually should be allowed, if clearly stated. It is an alternative to paying into niteclubs. Also it means if you are in earlier you are not being charged over the odds- i.e. if they had to have a fixed price it would be somewhere between the high & low price to maintain the same profit.

Also to those saying if you don’t like the price don’t pay, what happens if you are out for the night with friends, are you suppose to leave them there because you don’t want to pay for a pint.
    Yes basically...
    But most don't since they think it is worth it, there has to come a point though. I see it more and more, people getting tanked up in a mates before heading out. Also if people are in the boozer early watching footie and it looks like an all-nighter, then many will ditch the pub and head home with cans. I see this happening more now with the offy 10pm closing. People are still relatively sober enough at that stage to think of it, and bail out around 9. Probably the opposite of what that ridiculous law intended to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The best pints are in quieter 'old man' type pubs. I used to drink guinness in an inner city pub for €4 a go and it was as good as you'd get anywhere. Add in the fact that the barman actually served customers rather than just posing behind the bar and it was my kind of pub

Name it.
    If bad pubs are going to be named and shamed, the odd mention of a good alternative pub would be welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

6.50 for pint Coors Light in Cafe Insane and also 6.50 for a longneck bottle, about 0100 on the 21/09/08---have the receipts.:o

micmclo wrote: »
    Name it.
    If bad pubs are going to be named and shamed, the odd mention of a good alternative pub would be welcome :)

Doolans. Hogan Place Dublin 2

A real locals pub but I used to watch the odd football match there.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

Capital Bars (Chain of various pubs / clubs around Dub) are rip off Merchants.

After 11 they charge €6.20 for a beer!

hawkwing wrote: »
    6.50 for pint Coors Light in Cafe Insane and also 6.50 for a longneck bottle, about 0100 on the 21/09/08---have the receipts.:o

:eek::eek:

Well they banned reducing them (happy hour). I think it actually should be allowed, if clearly stated. It is an alternative to paying into niteclubs. Also it means if you are in earlier you are not being charged over the odds- i.e. if they had to have a fixed price it would be somewhere between the high & low price to maintain the same profit.

I dont think the prices going up at an hourly rate is an alternative to paying into a nightclub as the nightclubs are usually the biggest culprets. I was at a nightclub in Enniscorthy Co.Wexford recently that is situated in a 4 star hotel ( treacys/bennidicts) And the prices went up at an hourly rate and still had to pay €10 to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭catching_streams

€6.20 for a bottle of Bud in Dicey's a month ago. This is on top of a cover charge of €5 to get into the place after 11pm. Needless to say I have not been back.

Advertisement