Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

sweetlass wrote: »
    hey nog us girls had to cough to ya know!!! remember cutstuff!!!!!!

You must have misheard the Doc, he didnt say splutter. He said "spit or .......

Announcement from ADMIN

Would TheNog please report to the Admin office for a paddling

End communication

:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 djpon85

does anybody know if they get in touch with your own GP following the medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bckeogh

medical lasts 6 months. i did mine this moring, pct end of march and should be in for may if i pass:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

bckeogh wrote: »
    medical lasts 6 months. i did mine this moring, pct end of march and should be in for may if i pass:D

Hey,
    Where did you hear 6 months? I was under the impression it was a year (well one of the docs said it)

they told us in there
    a few people were doing theres for second time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

If it is 6 months does that not mean all of us that did ours in October has to do it again?! If that is the case if we don't get called again for it then we would be out of the running for May?! It just doesn't sound right to me. I think it's a year.

CuteStuff wrote: »
    If it is 6 months does that not mean all of us that did ours in October has to do it again?! If that is the case if we don't get called again for it then we would be out of the running for May?! It just doesn't sound right to me. I think it's a year.

Thats what I was thinking too. It's a year alright.
    People from the January campaign are doing theirs again alright

Thats what I was thinking too. It's a year alright.
    People from the January campaign are doing theirs again alright
    6 months sounds a bit short especially with the length of time it takes to get through all this. Besides. What would the point have been putting us all through medicals so early if it only lasts 6 months?!

6 months sounds a bit short especially with the length of time it takes to get through all this. Besides. What would the point have been putting us all through medicals so early if it only lasts 6 months?!

Amen :pac:

there was 1 guy there who did his in october others from august, i honestly dont know, ring them and ask them but 100% they told me a few times it only lasts 6 months, they didnt know of the cut backs in october and thought the numbers would still be up and thats why people where still called for medical, but im sure they'll give a few months. you done pct yet?

• Advertisement

there was 1 guy there who did his in october others from august, i honestly dont know, ring them and ask them but 100% they told me a few times it only lasts 6 months, they didnt know of the cut backs in october and thought the numbers would still be up and thats why people where still called for medical, but im sure they'll give a few months. you done pct yet?

Yeah everything done since Oct.

i dont know what to say then, what group and batch where u?

Yeah everything done since Oct.
    I'm starting to get worried now.... Flipping hell... If I don't get May I am going to go mad!!! :confused:

I'm starting to get worried now.... Flipping hell... If I don't get May I am going to go mad!!! :confused:

Med lasts 12 months i think, Had one for the Reserve in Oct 07 and one for the full time in Oct 08 and the Doctor said to me it will last a year before you have to do another 1, he said i was just over the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

6mths is too short. The medical lasts 12 months, trust me, unfortunately I know this :rolleyes:;)

bckeogh, was there many people there today talking about when they had done their medicals before? I reckon, they were talking ab0ut when they had their interviews.

no it was medicals, sorry.
    dont mean to be a downer, best thing is to ring them and check,
    there was one guy there who applied Jan 07 everyone else was mostly Jan 08 and a few of us May 08

no it was medicals, sorry.
    dont mean to be a downer, best thing is to ring them and check,
    there was one guy there who applied Jan 07 everyone else was mostly Jan 08 and a few of us May 08

Thanks for the heads up anyway.

But its grand, January lads have to do it again alright (Some only for the first time) and people from May batch 1, is only their just time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 inneedofinfo

Is the only way to apply to become a trainee on publicjobs.ie. I have been registered there for quite a while without hearing anything.

Is the only way to apply to become a trainee on publicjobs.ie. I have been registered there for quite a while without hearing anything.
    yes you can only apply through publicjobs.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 inneedofinfo

TheNog wrote: »
    No it wouldnt affect promotion as long it isnt into the Driving School. Being able to drive does give you greater freedom though to go on enquiries, serve summons etc but you can still do this with another member

No. An unmarked car is still an offical vehicle.

True but you must realise they are thinking not of you driving within normal conditions but rather driving in a pursuit or responding to a high priority call instead.

Thanks for your information so far man! just one final question. Does the colour blindness effect carrying a firearm. I only ask this as such positions that involve investigations seem to me to be filled by armed detectives and I would not like to think that I would not be able to one day all things going well move up the ranks to a position such as this.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your information so far man! just one final question. Does the colour blindness effect carrying a firearm. I only ask this as such positions that involve investigations seem to me to be filled by armed detectives and I would not like to think that I would not be able to one day all things going well move up the ranks to a position such as this.

Not that I know of. You will only see armed detectives for rapid entry if they suspect there are weapons at the premises or of there are suspected big haul of drugs and a likelihood of weapons. Sometimes when uniformed members execute a search warrant for drugs at a local level there will not be any armed members. These searches would be for the lower level dealers so firearms will not be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mochara89

Hey all,

Deemed medically fit today, thank god for that.... PCT end of march!
    I remember reading previously on one of the pages, dunno if anyone can help me out, but the number you get after the medical, does it have any reference , it says something like B(T) Number then its for eg 111/11

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

if the 111/xx has 08 as the xx then that should be your candidate number ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jillybean

mochara89 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Deemed medically fit today, thank god for that.... PCT end of march!
    I remember reading previously on one of the pages, dunno if anyone can help me out, but the number you get after the medical, does it have any reference , it says something like B(T) Number then its for eg 111/11

Thanks guys

I'm not sure what the BT number is but make sure you have it with you when you do your PCT, you'll need it when filling out a form on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sweetlass

hey cutestuff.. when i did my pct there was a girl there who did her medical in july 08 and she got the call for feb 09!! she didnt have to repeat it either.. so anyone who did it in oct should be ok if they get the call for may!

hey cutestuff.. when i did my pct there was a girl there who did her medical in july 08 and she got the call for feb 09!! she didnt have to repeat it either.. so anyone who did it in oct should be ok if they get the call for may!
    I was thinking that 6 months sounds very short. Thank god for that. I can go back praying for May then. :D

I was thinking that 6 months sounds very short. Thank god for that. I can go back praying for May then. :D

yeah thank god!! if i had to do it again i prob fail!!! ha ha
    bkeogh is lucky gettin asked yesterday if he is available for may!!! ask me and u !!! u are ready to go !!! i dnt understand their methods up there of how the picking people to go in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

yeah thank god!! if i had to do it again i prob fail!!! ha ha
    bkeogh is lucky gettin asked yesterday if he is available for may!!! ask me and u !!! u are ready to go !!! i dnt understand their methods up there of how the picking people to go in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
    I don't think we will ever understand. so lets just keep the fingers crossed. :D

I don't think we will ever understand. so lets just keep the fingers crossed. :D

your right and i will go mad if i think bout it!!! :mad:
    did u see the link posted yesterday in the "wanting to join" thread.. says not recruiting til sept again?

• Advertisement

your right and i will go mad if i think bout it!!! :mad:
    did u see the link posted yesterday in the "wanting to join" thread.. says not recruiting til sept again?
    Hopefully they will have cleared the back log by then!!!

Advertisement