Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Hello all,i'm from may batch 2 and did my interview in october but havent heard anything since i got the letter saying i passed.From reading your posts on here i'm releived to see i'm not alone.Hopefully will get a date for the medical sooner rather than later.The only thing that bothers me about the medical is my eyesight,i wear glasses/contacts pretty much all the time and i'm not sure whether they're passable as they are.I really dont want to have laser surgery unless its absolutely necessary.Do any of you know what the 6/18 requirment is in terms of presciption i.e -2.25 -4.5 etc or if any of you have had laser surgery how did you find it? If any of you could help me out on this i'd be very grateful:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

jonas7 wrote: »
    Hello all,i'm from may batch 2 and did my interview in october but havent heard anything since i got the letter saying i passed.From reading your posts on here i'm releived to see i'm not alone.Hopefully will get a date for the medical sooner rather than later.The only thing that bothers me about the medical is my eyesight,i wear glasses/contacts pretty much all the time and i'm not sure whether they're passable as they are.I really dont want to have laser surgery unless its absolutely necessary.Do any of you know what the 6/18 requirment is in terms of presciption i.e -2.25 -4.5 etc or if any of you have had laser surgery how did you find it? If any of you could help me out on this i'd be very grateful:)

Hey!
    I haven't applied yet, but am waiting on the next recruitment. i got laser surgery last summer because I know i would have needed it for the guards...I used to wear glasses for the board and for driving. Just wanted to let you know that its not painful at all! Best thing i ever got done. The proceedure only took 10 mins and then i could go home. My vision is better than 20/20 now, so I'd say if you are able to get it done at any stange, that its well worth it! Some health insurance companies cover a certain amount of the cost too. As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of laser!!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

i am from batch 1 may 08 and i got my call yesterday for the medical - so will be starving meself for the next 4 weeks!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    i am from batch 1 may 08 and i got my call yesterday for the medical - so will be starving meself for the next 4 weeks!!!!:eek:
    Don't be stressing about it! Just remember, don't listen to loud music a day or two before the medical! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

Hey guys, I'm from batch 2 and got my call for the medical yesterday....delighted things are moving along!

• Advertisement

pink star wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm from batch 2 and got my call for the medical yesterday....delighted things are moving along!
    Ah that's brilliant Pink Star!!!! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

CuteStuff wrote: »
    Don't be stressing about it! Just remember, don't listen to loud music a day or two before the medical! :)

jaysus thats actually really good advice right there

TheNog wrote: »
    jaysus thats actually really good advice right there
    You sound surprised that I would give good advice Nog!!! :D

Congrats Pink Star

Please move your chair forward two feet closer to the end line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I'd make that at least 3 or 4 days to be safe!:D I did my medical for the Army Reserve last May, and the Hearing test can be tricky! But ye will be fine!

• Advertisement

You sound surprised that I would give good advice Nog!!! :D

Not at all
    Knew I trained you well

oh grasshopper

nah its something I never thought of before
    and there was me going for my medical, windows in the car down, listening to Guns n Roses at full pelt, long hair flowing in the wind!!!

But thats for the General Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭pink star

Ah thanks you guys:o your man told me that yesterday too...not to listen to loud music for 16hours before the medical.

Nog...your bringing in your slagging here!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Congratulations Pink Star! :)

Nog...your bringing in your slagging here!!!!

I know gotta stop

/fixes shirt, checks trousers fly is up, good to go again:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

So looks like there are quite a few of us getting called for the medical!! It's good to have something else to aim for instead of just waiting, waiting, waiting and wondering whats happening with our applications!! Any ideas, if we all pass, when we might be looking to head to Templemore???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭16airassualt

hey,new on this forum but have been looking into and thinking about joining the gardai for some time.just about to sit my leaving now so hopefully i might make the next recruitment drive,the only thing is im colourblind so im just wondering am i wasting my time pursuing a career in the gards or does this only limit what roles you can do within the gards,thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭andrew1985

hi guys is it common for batch 2 people to be called for med before some batch1 people? probarly to do with background checks i suppouse:rolleyes:

hey,new on this forum but have been looking into and thinking about joining the gardai for some time.just about to sit my leaving now so hopefully i might make the next recruitment drive,the only thing is im colourblind so im just wondering am i wasting my time pursuing a career in the gards or does this only limit what roles you can do within the gards,thanks

Just from reading your post it shouldnt prevent you being successful however you will not be allowed to drive any official vehicles though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bckeogh

im may batch 1 and havent been called for intake yet although there are some from batch 2 called before me, go figure.....

andrew1985 wrote: »
    hi guys is it common for batch 2 people to be called for med before some batch1 people? probarly to do with background checks i suppouse:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 caz123

Hey Guys

New to this but still waiting on medical :mad: did interview 31st july and nothen since? scored around 150 in appitude obvioulsy that means nothen either.is there many more waiting from batch one for call for medical

• Advertisement

caz123 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

New to this but still waiting on medical :mad: did interview 31st july and nothen since? scored around 150 in appitude obvioulsy that means nothen either.is there many more waiting from batch one for call for medical

ye im batch 1 aswell and still waiting,waiting,waiting:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

So do ye all think the medicals will go ahead with this new moratorium on recruitment? It says no posts will be filled till the end of 2010....

karlokarl wrote: »
    So do ye all think the medicals will go ahead with this new moratorium on recruitment? It says no posts will be filled till the end of 2010....

I can see us getting called for medical and pct and then being left until this moratorium is lifted,feckin gutted,hope is all we can do at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Just spoke to a senior Garda and he reckons that those in the system will be rushed through ASAP and then the doors will be closed. Hope he is right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

oh god at this stage i will need a zimmer frame by the time i get to templemore!:cool:

jos28 wrote: »
    Just spoke to a senior Garda and he reckons that those in the system will be rushed through ASAP and then the doors will be closed. Hope he is right

I hope your right to mate im sick tonight after reading the press release:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

jos28 wrote: »

the doors closed today!!!! but it says in the press statement does say that the minister can make exceptions. heres hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

I just cant wait til one of these yahoo politicians knock on my door lookin for a vote, they wont be getting a warm welcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

You need to get all the Mammies to get on to Joe Duffy on Monday complaining about the crime levels..put some pressure on. Crime rates have not been top of the media agenda for a long while. Need to put some pressure on the powers that be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

Congrats Pink Star & best of luck in medical, Im from batch 2 as well, so hopefully Ill hear something soon, do u mind me asking around what number where ya, I was around 30.

Advertisement