Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bckeogh

hey, top 10 tin batch 1 from may 08, got the call for my medical in march and they said i should be in for may :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

bckeogh wrote: »
    hey, top 10 tin batch 1 from may 08, got the call for my medical in march and they said i should be in for may :D

That sounds about right, there seemed to be a lot of jan 08 in the Feb drive.
    Im from May batch 2 top 30, rang a few weeks ago and he said there waitn on 1 check.
    I keep thinking why didnt I ring sooner when booking aptitude and Id be 1 1 as well :(
    I always had Nov in my head so its looking about right.
    Good look in the medicals folks :) Is there many called??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pr43

bettyboo1 wrote: »
    That sounds about right, there seemed to be a lot of jan 08 in the Feb drive.
    Im from May batch 2 top 30, rang a few weeks ago and he said there waitn on 1 check.
    I keep thinking why didnt I ring sooner when booking aptitude and Id be 1 1 as well :(
    I always had Nov in my head so its looking about right.
    Good look in the medicals folks :) Is there many called??

hey boo, which number did u call cos i'm strugglin to get info!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

pr43 wrote: »
    hey boo, which number did u call cos i'm strugglin to get info!

01 6661644, It really depends on who answers ya :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mochara89

Hi everyone,
    just a few quick questions about the medical.
    1)Do they check your teeth? (have a broken tooth at the back of my mouth which needs to come out)
    2)What is the dress code? (can you wear a tracksuit or is it more formal)
    3)I'm going to be travelling over in the car from Drumcondra, medical is at 9, how long will I need to give myself?
    4)Im 6ft and Weigh 13'5 bmi about 25, should be grand?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭D22

mochara89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    1)Do they check your teeth? (have a broken tooth at the back of my mouth which needs to come out)
    3)I'm going to be travelling over in the car from Drumcondra, medical is at 9, how long will I need to give myself?

Thanks!

1) Yes. If it is as bad as you say you say you should try get it out before the med. There is a chance you will need to get it done anyway before they say you are "Fit"

2) Casual. I would probably advise against normal north side apparel, so leave the tracksuit tucked into your socks at home :p:p:D . Seriously though, just wear something comfortable as you may be sitting around for a few hours. Jeans, shirt/t-shirt, hoodie/jumper was what I wore last year. Was told on the phone I could wear a tracky though so wear what you want dude.

3) No idea on traffic in that area. 45 mins at a guess as you are going against traffic!? Could be less. My rough guess at a route would be across past Mater towards N3 / Navan Rd and in one of the park gates along there. Dont be late though, give yourself plenty of time. ;)

4) Once your not way over the BMI level you should be ok, I'D GUESS!!!

Best of luck. Hopefully my second one will go as well as it did last year :D.

Get out running now though, make sure you are fit for the PCT in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hi mochara,

I'll try and answer as best I can :)

1) They do check your teeth but it's very brief. I think you will only have a problem with dental caries as far as I know. I can't imagine it would be a problem for you with a broken tooth at the back of your mouth. Although you never know ;)

2) Casual is fine. Most people wear jeans and a t-shirt and I've even seen people show up in tracksuits ;)

3) Well I live a 10 min drive from HQ and it somehow managed to take me an hour to get there in heavy morning traffic so I would leave as early as possible.

4) Your BMI is grand. As long as your BMI is under 30 you'll be fine and will pass no problem :rolleyes:

Best of luck!!!! :D

Cheers D22 and northside girl...

Just panicking as you can imagine, within touching distance like...would hate a broken tooth to ruin my career chance lol

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Cheers D22 and northside girl...

Just panicking as you can imagine, within touching distance like...would hate a broken tooth to ruin my career chance lol
    No worries, you sound like you will sail through it :D

Best of luck with it anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The Skipper

Hi lads,

Your help would be much appreciated here. One of my mates is due a medical in March and he's worried about the eyesight requirement but I think he should be within the limits. Kinda of has slightly blurry vision... can't read licence plates that easily

I managed to get his prescription to get confirmation from here. I know abit nerdy stuff! Sorry my apologies :)

SPH CYL AXIS
    R -0.50 -0.75 90
    L -0.50 -0.50 90

If you passed it on a prescription worse than that, please let me know so I can give my head some peace. What do you reckon, should he have nothing to worry about?

Thanks lads. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Coffey89

Hi Lads,

Im just wondering can anyone tell me would having type 1 diabeties stop you from passing the medical? Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RunningBear

Hi all have the medical Thursday just wondering how long it takes from start to finish the main reason being I'm flying up and down from Kerry
    If I have it at 10.30 would I be finished for 2 ... No?
    Also should we bring gear bags to change or what??
    Anyone who's got it comin up best of luck by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

Hi all have the medical Thursday just wondering how long it takes from start to finish the main reason being I'm flying up and down from Kerry
    Its a very hard one to call!!!! I remember there was loads of waiting about. I think I was no more than 2 hours. But with these sort of things you can never be too sure. Depending on how many are there etc. Sorry I can't give you a definite answer. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sweetlass

Yeah hard to know mine was at half eight and finished just after ten!!! but u never know depends how many are up etc!!
    Also just wear casual clothes cause u will need to change into medical robes!!:rolleyes:
    Best wishes with it.. it is another step in right direction!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Coffey89 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Im just wondering can anyone tell me would having type 1 diabeties stop you from passing the medical? Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

Im sorry to say that it does. This issue was recently brought up in the GardaReview magazine where they highlighted that although having diabetes will prevent a person from passing the medical, there are many members who have diabetes. If I remember correctly the GRA are calling for a change in that.

Having said all that dont take my word as gospel though. Why dont you call HR or the Medical Section. They will be able to tell for definite. If you do make that call, will you let us know?

Nog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 inneedofinfo

Hi, just wondering if someone can help me. I'm seriously considering applying to the Gardai. Slight problem, I have mild red-green colour blindness which is the main reason I have put it off for so long. Does this fully bar me entering the gardai or what is the story.

Hi, just wondering if someone can help me. I'm seriously considering applying to the Gardai. Slight problem, I have mild red-green colour blindness which is the main reason I have put it off for so long. Does this fully bar me entering the gardai or what is the story.

Colour blindness will not affect your application but will preclude you from driving any offical vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bckeogh

hey,
    medical on tuesday but am dying with the flu.........
    will this go against me if i cant shake it by then?????confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 inneedofinfo

TheNog wrote: »
    Colour blindness will not affect your application but will preclude you from driving any offical vehicle.

Would not being allowed drive an official car cause alot of trouble on the job and with things like getting promoted. eg can you have a detective who can't drive a police car. Are you allowed drive an un-marked car. it seems rediculous that I can hold a drivers licence but in the police force I can't drive a car.

Would not being allowed drive an official car cause alot of trouble on the job and with things like getting promoted. eg can you have a detective who can't drive a police car.

No it wouldnt affect promotion as long it isnt into the Driving School. Being able to drive does give you greater freedom though to go on enquiries, serve summons etc but you can still do this with another member
    Are you allowed drive an un-marked car.

No. An unmarked car is still an offical vehicle.
    it seems rediculous that I can hold a drivers licence but in the police force I can't drive a car.

True but you must realise they are thinking not of you driving within normal conditions but rather driving in a pursuit or responding to a high priority call instead.

• Advertisement

Hey all,
    Have my medical this week, just wonderin, do you need to bring anything i.e. Shorts, forms etc

Thanks

Hey all,
    Have my medical this week, just wonderin, do you need to bring anything i.e. Shorts, forms etc

Thanks
    I didn't have to bring anything, maybe the phone number of your doctor and address for the form you fill in there. If you wear glasses you have to bring them. Hmmm.... I think that's it.

CuteStuff wrote: »
    I didn't have to bring anything, maybe the phone number of your doctor and address for the form you fill in there. If you wear glasses you have to bring them. Hmmm.... I think that's it.

Do they still have those lovely dressing gowns at the medical?

When I did my medical we were all chatting and having a laugh but as soon as everyone got into the dressing gowns everyone was quite and not looking at each other. There was no fashion statements made that day!!!!

Do they still have those lovely dressing gowns at the medical?

When I did my medical we were all chatting and having a laugh but as soon as everyone got into the dressing gowns everyone was quite and not looking at each other. There was no fashion statements made that day!!!!
    Yeah! Stupid gowns and do you reckon they switch off the heating in that changing/waiting room on purpose. I was freezing.

Yeah! Stupid gowns and do you reckon they switch off the heating in that changing/waiting room on purpose. I was freezing.

heating is now seen as a luxury in these recessionary times :pac:

Its not so bad for ye girls but when you are a fella facing a doctor with freezing hands and your asked to cough (if ye get what I mean), you begin to wonder if its a medical your at or a torture chamber

heating is now seen as a luxury in these recessionary times :pac:

Its not so bad for ye girls but when you are a fella facing a doctor with freezing hands and your asked to cough (if ye get what I mean), you begin to wonder if its a medical your at or a torture chamber
    Hello!!!! Us girls get violated too! After my breast check I was gonna ask her out for dinner. That or light a cigarette! :D And her hands were so cold!!!

hey nog us girls had to cough to ya know!!! remember cutstuff!!!!!!

sweetlass wrote: »
    hey nog us girls had to cough to ya know!!! remember cutstuff!!!!!!
    Yeah! I remember!!! The cold cold cold hands.....

Yeah! I remember!!! The cold cold cold hands.....

how long is medical valid for? imagine doing it again.. if we did bring comfortable clothes and pair of gloves!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

sweetlass wrote: »
    how long is medical valid for? imagine doing it again.. if we did bring comfortable clothes and pair of gloves!!!!!!!!
    A year I think. There was a girl on here that had all completed a year ago and now she has been called up for a medical again!
    If I had to do the medical again I think I would drink more water before it. Peeing on demand is tough!!! :D

Advertisement