Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

1535455565759»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BarebackBear

Just to do with the Medicals lads, was big into gym before took some PED's and some stay in the system for upto 10 months would this come up on the day and would they even be looking for people who use anabolic compounds?
    Need info on this ASAP,
    Thanks guys,
    Bareback Bare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Just to do with the Medicals lads, was big into gym before took some PED's and some stay in the system for upto 10 months would this come up on the day and would they even be looking for people who use anabolic compounds?
    Need info on this ASAP,
    Thanks guys,
    Bareback Bare

Are you referring to anabolic steroids?
    Are you basically saying "iv been taking drugs and wondering will I pass the drug test?".

If you had a genuine interest in joining you would have stayed well clear of anything that half resembles an illegal drug.

It's kinda a mockery to the people on this forum asking genuine questions to do with the medical in relation to aspects such as vision, bone structure and other issues which they had no control over.

To answer your question, yes. They probably will test and if you test positive for any controlled drugs you can forget about ever getting in.(in my opinion)

And before someone states "taking anabolic steroids isn't illegal as you can get them on prescription, try explain that during a medical after you have filled out a form stating every illness you've had...

Cd_doe wrote: »
    Are you referring to anabolic steroids?
    Are you basically saying "iv been taking drugs and wondering will I pass the drug test?".

If you had a genuine interest in joining you would have stayed well clear of anything that half resembles an illegal drug.

It's kinda a mockery to the people on this forum asking genuine questions to do with the medical in relation to aspects such as vision, bone structure and other issues which they had no control over.

To answer your question, yes. They probably will test and if you test positive for any controlled drugs you can forget about ever getting in.(in my opinion)

And before someone states "taking anabolic steroids isn't illegal as you can get them on prescription, try explain that during a medical after you have filled out a form stating every illness you've had...

PED's - performance enhancing drugs
    So yes I was referring to Anabolic Steroids.
    I'm not going to say there not illegal to possess or use because at the end of the day it's frowned upon, as for you to give a lecture saying if I had any genuine interest it's a bit ludicrous being honest. All I've ever wanted to be was a guard in college becoming a pharmacist and went for the Mr.Ireland. As for testing for trt etc I was just asking do they test for it as its far more expensive then your plain drug test.
    And Yes I was taking and was wondering will I pass. I hate when people just say ah it's a drug it's not an opiate or something I get high off its a synthetic hormone that lets me recover quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

How do they benefit you?
    Are you addicted to them, can you go without them? :S
    If they're illegal then I suppose you'll have to wait until the next time round - to be sure you're clean rather than disqualified indefinitely.

PeteK* wrote: »
    How do they benefit you?
    Are you addicted to them, can you go without them? :S
    If they're illegal then I suppose you'll have to wait until the next time round - to be sure you're clean rather than disqualified indefinitely.

Addicted to them? It's impossible to get addicted to them, their a hormonal drug man.
    I'm off them months but naturally I have low testosterone so even my doctor recommended it but I don't know will the guards scrap me due to it.
    There not illegal if its self use and not distribution. I think this will be a more common problem with the guards now as every second teenager in the country is abusing them. I only ran testosterone at a small dose as the doctor recommended. Skin cleared up bf dropped and diet did the rest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Section_4

Addicted to them? It's impossible to get addicted to them, their a hormonal drug man.
    I'm off them months but naturally I have low testosterone so even my doctor recommended it but I don't know will the guards scrap me due to it.
    There not illegal if its self use and not distribution. I think this will be a more common problem with the guards now as every second teenager in the country is abusing them. I only ran testosterone at a small dose as the doctor recommended. Skin cleared up bf dropped and diet did the rest :)

If you were prescribed a drug by, and used it under the advice of, a licenced medical practitioner then you will be required to inform the Doctor incharge of medical assessments (assuming you're lucky enough to get that far) who will then assess you and your medical suitability for employment with AGS.

If on the other hand you obtained and used what is essentially an illicit substance (i.e. a controlled substance obtained without a prescription) then you are likely to be deemed medically unfit for service with AGS.

In continuum to the medical assessment there are ethical implications that may hinder your application, namely would AGS want to higher an individual who, on paper, is predisposed to engaging in illegal / morally questionable behaviour.

Section_4 wrote: »
    If you were prescribed a drug by, and used it under the advice of, a licenced medical practitioner then you will be required to inform the Doctor incharge of medical assessments (assuming you're lucky enough to get that far) who will then assess you and your medical suitability for employment with AGS.

If on the other hand you obtained and used what is essentially an illicit substance (i.e. a controlled substance obtained without a prescription) then you are likely to be deemed medically unfit for service with AGS.

In continuum to the medical assessment there are ethical implications that may hinder your application, namely would AGS want to higher an individual who, on paper, is predisposed to engaging in illegal / morally questionable behaviour.

That's more like it thanks.
    And if you were a mr Ireland representing your country I suppose that would have zero accountability to the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Section_4

That's more like it thanks.
    And if you were a mr Ireland representing your country I suppose that would have zero accountability to the cause

I am a little unsure of what you mean by cause.

If you acquired and/or used controlled substances illicitly you are accountable for your actions; there is legislation in effect to justify the use of controlled substances, any use of controlled substances outside of the remits in said legislation is illegal and will not be viewed favourably by AGS or other state bodies.

There are numerous members of AGS who compete at the highest levels of sport, nationally and internationally, and they, like every other citizen of the state, are not excluded from adhering to the legislationof the state along with the rules of their sporting governing bodies.

If you obtained and took PEDs which were not prescribed to you then you will have serious questions asked of your suitability to be a member of AGS, should you even be fortunate enough to make it to the medical assessment stage of the process as the issue may even come to light before that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

I wonder what the bmi cut off is?. Think someone has mentioned 27 as a max before. I presume they take into account a big frame and more muscle mass. Might have a few pounds to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

thekopend wrote: »
    I wonder what the bmi cut off is?. Think someone has mentioned 27 as a max before. I presume they take into account a big frame and more muscle mass. Might have a few pounds to loose.

BMI fail rate for medical is above 30. But like everything in this competition it could change this time around and be stricter as they have a huge group to pick from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

kev-bt wrote: »
    BMI fail rate for medical is above 30. But like everything in this competition it could change this time around and be stricter as they have a huge group to pick from.

Ya allowing up to 30 seems high. That's borderline obese. Anything over 25 is supposedly over weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

is it not the case that medical practitioners are moving away from BMI indexes as they are becoming obsolete

at the end of the day,Brian O'Driscoll and most of the irish rugby team are 'obese' with regard to BMI

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mango167

Have my medical coming up my bmi is 33.7 5ft 8 female atm but includes high percentage of muscle as I play high level of sport. Any one know is the bmi automatic fail or have I a chance?

Have my medical coming up my bmi is 33.7 5ft 8 female atm but includes high percentage of muscle as I play high level of sport. Any one know is the bmi automatic fail or have I a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

Hi Everyone,

Im 20 years old and have one small varicose vein on my left thigh. Will this cause me to fail the medical as it is only very minor?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CheekJones

daniel1390 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Im 20 years old and have one small varicose vein on my left thigh. Will this cause me to fail the medical as it is only very minor?

Can't say for sure but I didn't even take off my trousers at any point during the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

CheekJones wrote: »
    daniel1390 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Can't say for sure but I didn't even take off my trousers at any point during the medical.

Not in this jurisdiction it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 willa25

hi all,

my son had his medical last week and they discovered blood in his urine, (haematuria). no albumineria detected. anyone have any experience of this. Anyone know if this will rule him out? will they defer him? He is fit and healthy otherwise and flew through his fitness test. would be so disappointing after waiting so long and getting this far and then to be ruled out because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭CD2020!

I got deferred other day for something else and they told me straight away. So he should already know. I'd imagine he'd be deferred until the blood originated from is figured out.

That could be serious. Good that albumineria want detected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement