Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3a - Medical Examination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

does anybody know the story with regards medical reports.. i have my medical on thursday and went to my gp and got the medical reports for a car crash i was in and a few injuries i had operations on.... i presume this might help on the off chance that it might get deffered for the doctor to get his hands on these... what other reasons if can can you get deffered on as the guy on the phone told me if i pass this and a pct next week i can start in feb 2nd..... any past experiences appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

for the med do you have to give a medical history from your gp? if you had a minor injury that required a&e treatment would ya need to mention it and possibly have the xrays for the med?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

shakin wrote: »
    for the med do you have to give a medical history from your gp? if you had a minor injury that required a&e treatment would ya need to mention it and possibly have the xrays for the med?

Very interested in this as I got badly injured laying football last year 3 days before the medical!! only got cleared there in December by the hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 White Wolf

0325422 wrote: »
    the guy on the phone told me if i pass this and a pct next week i can start in feb 2nd..... !!

Just wondering 0325422 what batch are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

0325422 wrote: »
    does anybody know the story with regards medical reports.. i have my medical on thursday and went to my gp and got the medical reports for a car crash i was in and a few injuries i had operations on.... i presume this might help on the off chance that it might get deffered for the doctor to get his hands on these... what other reasons if can can you get deffered on as the guy on the phone told me if i pass this and a pct next week i can start in feb 2nd..... any past experiences appreciated!!

when did he tell u that on phone. he probably just means u could start in feb but there is alot of people here waiting wit everything done that still havent heard wen there starting .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

some people get offered a place after pct depends on background checks..some1 can do a pct before some1 and still get no word before some1 who passed it after you..headwrecking huh

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

soundlad wrote: »
    when did he tell u that on phone. he probably just means u could start in feb but there is alot of people here waiting wit everything done that still havent heard wen there starting .

no i asked him would i definately start in february and he said i would..... i asked him again just to be sure... im from batch 2 january 08.... phone call was just before xmas.. he said my background checks had just come back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pr43

anyone who did the medical recently, did you find the scales was accurate for your weight, or did it weigh you significantly heavy or lighter than you were measuring yourself at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Pretty much the same.

I did stand as tall as I could to bring down the old BMI down though!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

I had my medical last year and I didn't bring any reports with me and I have had minor surgery in the past. I wrote it on the form they get you to fill in and the doctor just asked me again about it just to confirm it and that was it!!! I'm not sure if that's across the board but that is what happened to me.

• Advertisement

Paolo5 wrote: »
    Pretty much the same.

I did stand as tall as I could to bring down the old BMI down though!

Did you get u on the tippy toes a little bit? Did you lean back on the scales to be lighter? or were they watching you like a hawk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

bmi is a load of **** they hardly go by that do they. what are the weight rules etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

BMI is bull sh*t but is used as a scale. Over 30 your in trouble. 25 - 30 depends on your build.

I just stood up as straight as I could and was a little taller than I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Spudley

I thought the scales (a scientific looking digital one) used by the medical officer weighed me lighter than the ordinary scales in the gym i use. The scales there is the regular one where the needle moves across the numbers.
    However you are in the nip when weighed, but i was almost half a stone below where i thought i was so think its measuring slightly lower.

Chief medical officer told me on the day of the medical too, that the highest reason for failing the medical was due to excess weight.

I was a pretty big boy at the start of the summer when I lost my job. Knew the medical was pending so hit the gym and the pool pretty hard and did a diet called lipotrim which was very severe (2 shakes a day and zero food) and lost 4 stone in about 3 months.

I'm not recommending lipotrim cos i've heard some people have had adverse reactions to it and a dietician friend of mine almost pole-axed me when she heard i was on it, but i got through it fine, and wouldn't have gotten within an asses roar of passing the medical without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

OMG Spudley, fair play to ya, thats some achievement!
    You must really want it to put yourself through that.

What stage are you at now?

Spudley wrote: »
    I thought the scales (a scientific looking digital one) used by the medical officer weighed me lighter than the ordinary scales in the gym i use. The scales there is the regular one where the needle moves across the numbers.
    However you are in the nip when weighed, but i was almost half a stone below where i thought i was so think its measuring slightly lower.

Chief medical officer told me on the day of the medical too, that the highest reason for failing the medical was due to excess weight.

I was a pretty big boy at the start of the summer when I lost my job. Knew the medical was pending so hit the gym and the pool pretty hard and did a diet called lipotrim which was very severe (2 shakes a day and zero food) and lost 4 stone in about 3 months.

I'm not recommending lipotrim cos i've heard some people have had adverse reactions to it and a dietician friend of mine almost pole-axed me when she heard i was on it, but i got through it fine, and wouldn't have gotten within an asses roar of passing the medical without it.

Cool, well done lad!

what was your final weight and bmi when u did the medical?

pr

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Spudley

Thanks Betty - PCT done and passed in Oct, awaiting the e-mail :(

PR - weighed in at 12.5 stone/80kgs and bmi 26, which technically is still overweight but a damn sight better than my starting point.

Can't wait to get the show on the road now, and get into the college. Looks like 3 more months to go though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Delta08

Does anyone know, that once the GP has confirmed you have passed the medical exam, would they notify on any problems that came up such as say colourblindness etc or would they not say anything at all??

Also does anyone know how long your medical exam is certified for ? is it only valid for a certain amount of months or?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tommi78

Spudley wrote: »

WOW Well done...... Im also waiting on my medical and pct and im in the gym 3-4 times a week lost about 3/4 of a stone but am still over weight but i think im still borderline for the bmi, im absolutly bricking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

As far as I remember they note your percentage fat too. So that's something to look at to. Try not to worry or stress, you don't want your blood pressure too high on the day!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunkissed12

Hey everyone,

I passed my medical :D bring on the PCT !!! How is everyone else coming along !!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭LeSurfer

Hey everyone,

I passed my medical :D bring on the PCT !!! How is everyone else coming along !!??

congrats!!!:) did you get a date for the PCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Congrats Sunkissed :)

LeSurfer wrote: »
    congrats!!!:) did you get a date for the PCT?

Cheers LeSurfer. Doing it this Thursday !

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Congrats Sunkissed :)

Cheers BlueBelle.

What stage you at ?

Cheers LeSurfer. Doing it this Thursday !

same here,hopefully we'd make it for the 2ed of Feb:eek::eek::eek:

same here,hopefully we'd make it for the 2ed of Feb:eek::eek::eek:

Is that even possible ??? I mean are there places ???

Is that even possible ??? I mean are there places ???

no idea sunkissed,i rang them last week,they told me there would be a good chance for the 2ed of Feb if i passed the PCT,but you never know...

no idea sunkissed,i rang them last week,they told me there would be a good chance for the 2ed of Feb if i passed the PCT,but you never know...

Haha that's very true ! Well let's keep everything crossed :) and the best of luck on Thursday :D

• Advertisement

Haha that's very true ! Well let's keep everything crossed :) and the best of luck on Thursday :D

:D:D:D

Advertisement