Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday: Sleet and Snow - Connaught, Leinster, Ulster

Options
  • 06-02-2009 6:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Time for a thread on Sundays event I think because the prospects are getting lost in the snow reports on the other thread. It will be an event for quite a few at least for a time. Some should see snow throughout - most likely Ulster and North Leinster and higher ground. Lower levels should see snow for a few hours but this may turn back to rain later on as it clears.

We can see from the temperatures under precipitation are condusive to sleet and snow for a good part of the country early Sunday afternoon

Rtavn4817.png

Dew Points at the same time....

48-101.GIF?06-12

By 4PM

gfs-2-51-3h.png?12

(Almost certainly snow at all levels on that evidence)

850's

48-7.GIF?06-12

Very good in terms of an occlusion coming up against sub -6 air. We dont have to be under it in these situations. It just has to be coming up against it.

Precip type

48-574.GIF?06-12

528 DAM

Rtavn483.png

Acceptable but one of the more marginal elements and will be sub 528 again before the day is out.

Will post more details later and were we stand by 6PM Sunday. But certainly there is likely to be snow at all levels for a few hours at least.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

Will there be lying snow in Dublin come Sunday morning??:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Jackeenboy wrote: »

It's actually still too early to say. It will be what some here describe as a "nowcast" - that is kind of observing it as it happens because these things are always marginal but id say there is a pretty good chance at least for a time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good thread darkman2, I'll close the Wednesday thread now to keep it tidy :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

It looks like that band will arrive to ireland in the night hours, so if it does snow the ground should be frosty so snow should stick no bother.

I think i need to cancel my flight and take the trip in the summer or spring when its less bleedin likely that I'm gonna be buried under snow!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Some of these showers might bring snowfall to parts in ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Supercell wrote: »
    I think i need to cancel my flight and take the trip in the summer or spring when its less bleedin likely that I'm gonna be buried under snow!
    If u were away and it was snowing mad at home ,would u prefer to be at home?

Pangea wrote: »
    If u were away and it was snowing mad at home ,would u prefer to be at home?

If it was last winter when there was next to no snow here then I'd rather be here.
    But this winter..well, I'm buried in the stuff and likely to remain that way for the foreseeable future so could take it or leave now. That said I'll be like a 10 year old kid if the sneachta starts coming down again :D

That front looks like it could easily deliver another 8 inches or so here on top of well about 8 inches..thats just nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hmm according to the radio forecast there, the good news is that there will be snow in many places. the slightly less good news is that he said it would eventually turn back to rain at lower levels everywhere. the really bad news is he didn't mention anything about significant accumulations. still, they've been caught out a couple of times recently so who knows what will happen this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

What are the chances for Waterford from this? I have a feeling it'll be the usual, i.e. not very good... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Not more snow! :eek:

Wicklow has had enough already, go somewhere else! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jemmy wrote: »
    Not more snow! :eek:

Wicklow has had enough already, go somewhere else! lol

i knew it was only a matter of time before we saw posts like this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

i knew it was only a matter of time before we saw posts like this:D

No i <3 snow, but the compacted stuff on the roads is now ice so I CANT GO ANYWHERE!!!!!! :mad:

Jemmy wrote: »
    No i <3 snow, but the compacted stuff on the roads is now ice so I CANT GO ANYWHERE!!!!!! :mad:

Same here, came back from Ashford this evening on the Roundwood road which is seriously dodgy in parts. It has been ploughed but the ploughs don't scrape the road completely clean and in the shade areas its a disaster. That said I've gotten plenty of practice driving in these conditions last few years so was fine. Sure as heck wouldn't like to be driving after dark , experience or not..way to dodgy for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sky news just gave it the nod , but the did mention the dreaded word Rain, although there was more talk of sleet and snow !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sky news just gave it the nod , but the did mention the dreaded word Rain, although there was more talk of sleet and snow !

Indeed - Francis said that it would usually be a band of rain, but do to the temps it will fall as snow.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Did anyone seen the rte forecast? I missed it

Just been checking out the Bracknell fax charts. Even if Sunday doesnt give snow at sea level the fax charts for Monday look very much like a reload of yesterday with likely chaos in Dublin.
    Anyone care to comment on the Monday models?
    I've cancelled my China flight, its pointless, at least i'll get my money back this way, will visit in the summer instead if I still have a job and the money saved is probably wise..

Bring on the snow!!

T+90 onwards is looking decidely omega'esque..jeeze http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn901.png

What the heck is happening this year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Met Eireann gave two different forecasts.

Before 6pm on Radio 1 they gave sleet and snow but it would turn to rain.
    Before 7PM on RTE 1 they gave sleet and snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Cheeses of Nazareth! You cancelled your flight? Are you quite sane sir? That's the same as cancelling a flight because your starsign predicts a bumpy ride somewhere!

(Humour) :D:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Hey Supercell, what do you think the prospects for the Mid-Lands are this weekend in regards to snowfall? Got a big rugby match on Sunday, and I have a feeling it may be called off.

Hey Supercell, what do you think the prospects for the Mid-Lands are this weekend in regards to snowfall? Got a big rugby match on Sunday, and I have a feeling it may be called off.

Most other years I'd forecast sleet then rain but this year..i dunno..

Cold east winds will have travelled over extensive Wicklow snowfields..I think snow is definitely possible, initially i'd go so far as to say its nailed on..will it stay as snow?..well that's the big question..in the south probably not..but in the mid midlands northwards..i think it may well do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

T+90 onwards is looking decidely omega'esque..jeeze http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn901.png

What the heck is happening this year!!

The precip from that will just scrape the South coast by the looks of things. The Precip is wrapped in the fronts. It probrably won't effect us in a meaningful way. It's going to bring problems to England and Wales though. Can still change. Let's get Sunday out of the way first;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Jackeenboy wrote: »
    I can guarantee with certainty that it will not SNOW here in Waterford City on Sunday, all this past week I've read on this excellent forum about snow nearly everywhere but all we got here was RAIN, I think I'll start a RAIN thread where I'll be guaranteed Waterford will head the list for Rain. Why anyone out there did Waterford hardly get any snow? Why is this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just been checking out the Bracknell fax charts. Even if Sunday doesnt give snow at sea level the fax charts for Monday look very much like a reload of yesterday with likely chaos in Dublin.
    Anyone care to comment on the Monday models?
    I've cancelled my China flight, its pointless, at least i'll get my money back this way, will visit in the summer instead if I still have a job and the money saved is probably wise..

Bring on the snow!!

Weather is not an exact science , BUT if supercell has cancelled his flight i would say we could be in for fun on Monday ,

darkman2 wrote: »
    The precip from that will just scrape the South coast by the looks of things. The Precip is wrapped in the fronts. It probrably won't effect us in a meaningful way. It's going to bring problems to England and Wales though. Can still change. Let's get Sunday out of the way first;)

Yep I agree, but the potential is there for streamer events and as recent experience has shown..Dublin is often ground zero for them in a ENE-NE flow.

Weather is not an exact science , BUT if supercell has cancelled his flight i would say we could be in for fun on Monday ,

Just so no-one starts ramping uncontrollably!! - I live at over 200 metres elevation on the side of a mountain and have currently at least 8 inches of lying snow - its not hard to be confidant that it will snow here on Sunday..however at sea level..real skill is needed..so any forecast I make for there should be taken with a pint of salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

It's going to get considerably milder towards the end of next week and I'm glad at least everyone will have some rain. Jealous of all the snow a lot of ye got you bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

200motels wrote: »
    I can guarantee with certainty that it will not SNOW here in Waterford City on Sunday, all this past week I've read on this excellent forum about snow nearly everywhere but all we got here was RAIN, I think I'll start a RAIN thread where I'll be guaranteed Waterford will head the list for Rain. Why anyone out there did Waterford hardly get any snow? Why is this?

Because Kilkenny took it on you :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement