Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday: Sleet and Snow - Connaught, Leinster, Ulster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭arctictree

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Are the roads ok up that far? Good area then to continue walking? Cheers.

Yep, but its not that far really. Only 4 miles from the N11. The snow plough kept going here all week because of the two pregnant women on the road!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

arctictree wrote: »
    Yep, but its not that far really. Only 4 miles from the N11. The snow plough kept going here all week because of the two pregnant women on the road!

Cool, will head up that way so too.

What were the two pregnant women doing on the road? - no place to be in that weather during pregnancy :D

Edit - especially with snow ploughs driving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ah pants ,its bloody raining here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

what a great week this has been, didnt get much snow here this week compared to Dublin and Wicklow but we did have around 3 inchs on Tuesday morning and most of it is still lying in my garden 4 days later:) Not a droplet of snow melted here today, today is the first day that I havent seen lying snow thaw in 18 years. ON a serious note tho im hoping that we dont get any more snow for the next 10 days, that this band on Sunday will fall as rain coz I do have a week of exams starting Monday and I have to get to college so for once im kinda hoping this go's all pear shaped on sunday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Gonzo wrote: »
    what a great week this has been, didnt get much snow here this week compared to Dublin and Wicklow but we did have around 3 inchs on Tuesday morning and most of it is still lying in my garden 4 days later:) Not a droplet of snow melted here today, today is the first day that I havent seen lying snow thaw in 18 years. ON a serious note tho im hoping that we dont get any more snow for the next 10 days, that this band on Sunday will fall as rain coz I do have a week of exams starting Monday and I have to get to college.
    I wonder what would happen if like a foot of snow came on monday and half ur year couldnt make it to the exam?
    I was wondered what would happen in those circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Cheers... will have a look around there and Glendalough. Ideally I'd like to see some snow that has not yet been walked on but I suppose to do that I would be heading into danger territory as per Supercells warning.... unless there are some patches lower down, we shall see. I'll bring the sat nav in case I get lost :pac:

Wherever you go in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains it's going to be amazing between about 200m - 400m ASL ...anything above that I reckon is inaccessible and dangerous.

But then again.....fun is usually directly proportional to danger and inversely proportional to safety (but please heed Supercell's warning.....seriously)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭.243

There are loads of fields around here that havn't been walked on and good deep snow too. Take the N11 to Newtownmountkennedy, then take the Roundwood road. Our road is the first left past the golf club over the top of the hill.

A

didnt know you were a knockfada native arctictree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Supercell - you rock. Keep up the good work.

Still no snow in KK, thinking of heading up Mt Leinster on Sunday to compensate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 northtipp

MALIN HEAD N 27 Gust 40 RECENT SNOW 5 72 Trace 999
    and yes its say temp 5 c and snow on met latest reports that couldnt be right could it ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Supercell - you rock. Keep up the good work.

Still no snow in KK, thinking of heading up Mt Leinster on Sunday to compensate :)

We have snow on the hills of north Kilkenny, its still there, just 7 miles from the city.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    what a great week this has been, didnt get much snow here this week compared to Dublin and Wicklow but we did have around 3 inchs on Tuesday morning and most of it is still lying in my garden 4 days later:) Not a droplet of snow melted here today, today is the first day that I havent seen lying snow thaw in 18 years. ON a serious note tho im hoping that we dont get any more snow for the next 10 days, that this band on Sunday will fall as rain coz I do have a week of exams starting Monday and I have to get to college so for once im kinda hoping this go's all pear shaped on sunday:)

Gonzo all of Dublin didn't get 3 inches! So you got a good bit!

Funny how about 2 miles from here there was much more snow! Still decent chunks lying in places!

My snowman still standing though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Min wrote: »
    We have snow on the hills of north Kilkenny, its still there, just 7 miles from the city.....

Fresh snow??

Send some 7 miles south from the city and I will be a happy camper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Cheers... will have a look around there and Glendalough. Ideally I'd like to see some snow that has not yet been walked on but I suppose to do that I would be heading into danger territory as per Supercells warning.... unless there are some patches lower down, we shall see. I'll bring the sat nav in case I get lost :pac:

Guys to be honest if you had any sense you'd stay away from up here, its gone beyond snow now. There is solid ice up here on the roads. If you can go somewhere lower do! I've lived up here the last 13yrs and never seen anything this bad.

Tbh your better off staying off minor roads altogether, I was in wicklow town today but only bcoz we had to the jeep couldnt get any grip, once we got to regional roads (ie. rathdrum to glenealy road, wicklow town, rathnew to ashford raod) the roads were ok but all the minor roads were lethal once you left the mojar routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Not even trying to go anywhere; we are in the Blue Stacks on single track roads that look a mess.... Well stocked here of course, so nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

My God it's cold out now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

j1979p wrote: »
    My God it's cold out now!
    Yes that wind is really sucking the heat out of the ground. Air temp stayed above zero and above 1C generally, but 5cm soil temp has fallen to 1C and the surface is frozen.

All water on the ground is frozen. This means that all water on untreated roads is black ice. There's been 100mm rain past 10 days here and this is creating loads of floods from the thawing snow.

Meanwhile
    Clear 2.4/-2.7C
    A very cold NW wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭arctictree

.243 wrote: »
    didnt know you were a knockfada native arctictree

Well, been here for 10 years! Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

The forecast on www.met.ie wouldn't fill me with much confidence that were going to see much if any snow over the next 5 days! Any snow tomorrow is likely to be short lived and turn to rain. In the view of the more experienced members is there much of a chance of good snow fall over the next 5 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Fresh snow??

Send some 7 miles south from the city and I will be a happy camper :)

We had snow near everyday during the weak with just a little very light dusting yesterday but its all frozen now.....
    Tomorrow looks good for some snow as does Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=vis&type=loop

Interesting time lapse latest satellite photo. You can see the snow over the Wicklow mountains and a dusting over Connaught and Donegal.UK shows up well too.

This next event isn't getting much hype,Met Eireann do indeed think it will turn to rain, but didn't give figures as to how much if any snow may lay before it does so. As ever, one can live in hope that it will stay as snow (if you like snow of course),but given our luck, it won't.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=vis&type=loop

Interesting time lapse latest satellite photo. You can see the snow over the Wicklow mountains and a dusting over Connaught and Donegal.UK shows up well too.

This next event isn't getting much hype,Met Eireann do indeed think it will turn to rain, but didn't give figures as to how much if any snow may lay before it does so. As ever, one can live in hope that it will stay as snow (if you like snow of course),but given our luck, it won't.:rolleyes:

Wow - look at England!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

they are probably right about it turning back to rain. however they have been all the over shop recently with their forecasts so i wouldn't rule out a few nice surprises over the next three days. i mean according to the radio forecast yesterday evening the showers that i got last night, which resulted in 2 and a half inches of snow, were supposed to become confined to the coast. also they were caught out over the snow in Dublin on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

they are probably right about it turning back to rain. however they have been all the over shop recently with their forecasts so i wouldn't rule out a few nice surprises over the next three days. i mean according to the radio forecast yesterday evening the showers that i got last night, which resulted in 2 and a half inches of snow, were supposed to become confined to the coast. also they were caught out over the snow in Dublin on Thursday.

you got more snow last night :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/rart_frame.htm

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/rart_frame.htm

These charts showed the snow on Thursday in Dublin, when i looked on Wednesday evening.

Hopefully there right again:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It would appear that we are headed for a snow to rain thing tomorrow with snow in the morning but we can't rule out the possibility of it not turning back to rain in some places. Supercell and Artictree, I suspect, will see snow most of the day adding to what is already still on the ground. Ulster and North Leinster will see a covering I think allbeit briefly. Seems unlikely further south and west will see much before the rain moves in. Basically, snow in the morning - rain in the afternoon looks most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭.243

Well, been here for 10 years! Where are you?
    just a snow balls throw away from you at calary,ive sticking up a cpl of pix of my side of the hill

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anybody looking to play in the snow today?

Go to Marley Park in Rathfarnham (just across the road from me). Was just there and there is 6" of snow remaining - in fact snow was too deep for my 3 year old to get around!

The market is on so you can have coffee too!

060209093.jpg

060209091.jpg

060209100-1.jpg

And my road today:

060209087.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the radio forecaster just now was funny, the forecaster must be sick of snow as
    he said while it looks like there will be rain and sleet at times over the next few days, we can never turn our back on snow :pac:

he mentioned there will be a covering for a time out of this frontal snow, with east Connaught, the north, the midlands, and north leinster most at risk of seeing snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I finally arrived back home in Louth yesterday evening. I was rather busy with the camera this morning:D

According to the ruler, there's 3 inches lying on grass and 2 on the driveway. In the fields nearby there's some small drifiting, of about 8 inches. It's still very cold here. Very windy on top of the hill, so a lot of snow "dust" was kicked up and blew across the ground. I'm told there was about 3 inches from Monday morning and about 4 or 5 inches from all day on Thursday at its peak.

Not a bad week, definitely 4 and possibly 5 mornings with lying snow.

It's on the satellite pictures as a small white blob in south Louth. It looks like the hill of Tara in co. Meath has a covering too, but no lying snow until south Dublin. Wicklow looks amazing.

Being 150m above sea level, in north leinster, I'm hopeful for a couple of hours of heavy snow on Sunday morning:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    The forecast on www.met.ie wouldn't fill me with much confidence that were going to see much if any snow over the next 5 days! Any snow tomorrow is likely to be short lived and turn to rain. In the view of the more experienced members is there much of a chance of good snow fall over the next 5 days?

well anyway never take any notice of what met eireann say, they couldn't forecast heat in the sahara
    they were giving warnings of heavy snow everywhere on tuesday night and some places only got rain and they never forecasted the severity of the snow in the east on thursday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement