Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday: Sleet and Snow - Connaught, Leinster, Ulster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

http://www.sat24.com/eu What is this big band of cloud coming in from the west going to do for ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tonight

Very cold and mostly calm and clear after dark. Widespread frost soon developing, becoming severe in many areas. Temperatures falling to between 0 and - 5 C. Cloudy weather spreading from the Atlantic overnight and during the morning, bringing outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow, and a freshening southeast to south breeze. Falls of snow in places, especially further north and east, with the possibility of disruption for a time.

I am hoping it arrives early as possible as have work tomorrow for ages at 12 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

As usual Waterford loses out...on jobs and snow !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pfk-0p wrote: »
    well anyway never take any notice of what met eireann say, they couldn't forecast heat in the sahara
    they were giving warnings of heavy snow everywhere on tuesday night and some places only got rain and they never forecasted the severity of the snow in the east on thursday

also, the fairly widespread snow showers in the west and north west last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

sorella wrote: »
    Not even trying to go anywhere; we are in the Blue Stacks on single track roads that look a mess.... Well stocked here of course, so nothing to worry about.
    Just a wild guess here but is that the road from Letterbarrow up to Sruell? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Interesting graphics on the BBC weather just there for tomorrow. Snow for Ulster and the northen parts of Connaught and Leinster, then turning to sleet/rain as it gets to the east coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

well according to sky news ireland is getting blowing snow at first on sunday and the weather don't seem to be gettin much warmer:D

Sunday
    Very icy in the morning with central and eastern areas down to -8C to -10C in places. Again, treacherous on untreated roads and pavements.
    Our concerns start with Ireland as an Atlantic system sweeps in. Expect snow initially across Ireland causing some temporary problems (poor visibility, blowing snow). This will turn to rain later. Then Britain is at risk through the afternoon and evening.
    Sleet or rain is most likely in the south, but from the Midlands northwards across northern England a few centimetres of fresh snow are likely. This snow will then edge into Scotland where it'll probably remain all Sunday night.
    Monday
    Icy again in central and southern parts, but it'll still be snowing in the north - I think probably across central Scotland. This could mean a very tricky morning rush hour for the Central Lowlands but the snow will be dying out.
    More snow is possible in the south. It's hard to say how much or exactly where, or indeed the extent of disruption, mainly because the low pressure area bringing this risk may stay further south over France, hence keeping us dry.

15215798.jpg London was paralysed on Monday

At this stage expect heavy rain and strong winds moving up into southern Britain, turning to snow as it moves inland, bringing the risk of blizzards to hills. The snow risk will probably extend from Devon eastwards to London.
    Tuesday
    Snow in the south should have gone, giving sunshine and scattered sleet and snow showers as the weather picture. And yes it'll still be cold with frost and ice.
    Wednesday
    Similarly cold with further ice and frost first thing, and some snow showers, but there may be an area of more prolonged snow coming in from the north during the day.
    Again some uncertainty as to exactly where - perhaps best to assume Scotland and northern England for now.
    Click for the latest from Isobel and the Sky News weather team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Met E Advisory Issued at 07 February 2009 - 13:02

A frontal system will move eastwards across the country during Saturday night and Sunday. The associated rain will turn to sleet or snow in places as it moves inland during Saturday night and early Sunday morning. This is possible almost anywhere away from the south and southeast coasts, but is most likely over Connacht, Ulster and the northern half of Leinster.
    However, clearer weather reaching the southwest and west coasts around dawn will follow on to remaining areas during the day on Sunday, with some rise in temperatures for most parts.
    Any lying snow near sea level should start to thaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Nope:) Not quite.... But that will be very bad too...

smashey wrote: »
    Just a wild guess here but is that the road from Letterbarrow up to Sruell? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Needing to make a dash for Strabane early in the week; ie the dreaded Gap.

Any ideas? Maybe Monday very early? Thank you.

good sat image showing lying snow in england and round ireland's mountains.that front approaching does look impressive tho.

http://satellite.netweather.tv/noaa-18-02071413-msa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

redsunset wrote: »
    good sat image showing lying snow in england and round ireland's mountains.that front approaching does look impressive tho.

http://satellite.netweather.tv/noaa-18-02071413-msa.jpg
    Thanks, its a great image. Any idea when it should reach the west coast approximately?

Looks like the snow will turn to sleet or rain away from the far north of Leinster and Ulster tomorrow from after midday.

Although. DP's are ony expected to rise to 1c for this area all day, so if we could see a 1c less fall then there could be snow all day.

The light snow should arrive in Dublin around 8am and get heavier by around 11am before turning to sleety stuff around 2/3pm and clearing around 5pm.

Potential is aroun 25% for it to stay as snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

GFS is showing some serious stuff on Monday night across Leinster and Munster.

Im getting the feeling there is something huge on the way, judging by all the chatter on Strat, whatever that is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

darkman2 wrote: »
    GFS is showing some serious stuff on Monday night across Leinster and Munster.

CHRIST

We have a confirmation 11am Tue morning - Skiing to the church !:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

My snow from earlier in the week is still here.

I will go by the saying which says that snow that is hanging around is waiting for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

We got a light sprinkle of snow,this morning . Like icing sugar. Better than nothing !!

I won't get my hopes up for anything more significant here though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Almost 48 hours after last snow, amazingly little thaw of snow and ice today despite max temp of 3.5c. Snow has melted on south facing roofs - north facing roofs have complete cover. Snow still in the trees.

Hopefully all this existing snow cover will give me a fighting chance to have a top up tomorrow. :D Getting greedy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Patches of snow remain on the ground here. I took a spin out to Blessington and all along the route are untouched snow covered fields, I should have brought a camera with me as it looked nice with the sun slowly setting.

Looks like temps could reach 10-12c in places on Thursday and Friday at the moment before a return to much colder weather.

Although whether these mild temps actually occur is open to debate

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Just back from Glendalough and what a day it was! Absolutely amazing up there, apart from the odd 80's winter, I have never seen as much snow. We tried to get up towards Sally Gap but my car was having none of it - simply would not go forward so headed back to Glendalough via Annamoe.

Amazing how much the snow depth increased as we got higher up, went from about 4 inches lower down to at least two feet in parts - I know because I stood in some places where the snow went way over my knee. Hard work getting up to the top, tough work walking up at the best of times, let alone with snow depth increasing with every step! Regret not investing in some proper hiking shoes and not just regular runners.

What's the chances of this still being the case by next weekend? I need another fix.

Big delay on the way back though as the road was all clogged up with cars - clever people had decided to park where they pleased and caused quite a traffic jam :mad:

Took lots of photos so will pop some up later.

Really great day, recommend anyone who can to get up there while it lasts, a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Strange question, but can anyone tell me what the weather is like down in Dunlavin, Co Wicklow at the moment? And what is the forecast for the next couple of days?

Strange question, but can anyone tell me what the weather is like down in Dunlavin, Co Wicklow at the moment? And what is the forecast for the next couple of days?
    There is a lot of snow in the area with quite bad roads.
    It is also very likely that there will be fresh snow cover there on top of that by tomorrow morning.

Would anyone know what time to expect snow in Dublin, Lucan :)

Will it be this evening or definately in morning?

Little clouds starting to roll in, and Ive fingers and toes crossed.
    :D

DON'T LOOK GREAT FOR EAST OR SOUTH EAST BUT THE REST LOOKS LIKE GETTIN SOMETHING

3.00am:
    uk_rain_09020803.jpg

6.00am:
    uk_rain_09020806.jpg

9.00am:
    uk_rain_09020809.jpg

12.00pm
    uk_rain_09020812.jpg

• Advertisement

to good to be true :(

Oh well, roll on next year :)

This discussion has been closed.