Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday: Sleet and Snow - Connaught, Leinster, Ulster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Supercell wrote: »
    any forecast I make should be taken with a pint of salt!

i admire your honesty:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

If it was last winter when there was next to no snow here then I'd rather be here.
    Why would u rather be in ireland when theres no snow? :confused:
    if theres snow here i would rather be in ireland than be away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thing is met eireann only say scattered snow showers for the weekend, snow showers doesnt mean there will be heavy snow ,just means it will there will be a showers of snow , Iv had heavy snow showers for the past 2 days ,and no decent covering.
    If they say heavy snow (without the word showers) then il be more optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

200motels wrote: »
    I can guarantee with certainty that it will not SNOW here in Waterford City on Sunday, all this past week I've read on this excellent forum about snow nearly everywhere but all we got here was RAIN, I think I'll start a RAIN thread where I'll be guaranteed Waterford will head the list for Rain. Why anyone out there did Waterford hardly get any snow? Why is this?

A shower or 2 on the radar now down that direction, ye might get lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Pangea wrote: »
    Why would u rather be in ireland when theres no snow? :confused:
    if theres snow here i would rather be in ireland than be away.
    I think he meant that if there was a snow event last winter when there was none then he'd rather be here, but this year he feels as if he's got his fix.
    Alternatively, perhaps a "t" was left off the front of "here"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Does anybody know what effect, if any, lying snow has on DPs ?

Basically the wind on Sundy is forecast to be southerly, this will mean that the wind reaching me will have passed over the snowfields of the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains. While I assume this will help lower the air temp somewhat does it have any effect on the DP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Since the snow is, well, ice, I doubt the air would pick up much water vapour passing over it, so I don't think it would affect it. I suppose if it passed enough snow it could drop the temp - but wouldn't that raise the DP?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Seeing as the snow didn't come to me during the week, I am going to go to it tomorrow :pac: Where would the best place to drive to around the Dublin/Wicklow mountains be? Plan to park up and head into the snow...

Advice or suggestions appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »

Basically the wind on Sundy is forecast to be southerly, this will mean that the wind reaching me will have passed over the snowfields of the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains. While I assume this will help lower the air temp somewhat does it have any effect on the DP?

Good question, I was just thinking the same. I'm in D.16 too, we've done really well so far in this cold spell here. This snow is getting addictive, I want MORE!!!

I took a drive up around Cruagh/Glencullen today. It's amazing up there, at least a foot lying with huge drifts before I had to turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DOCARCH wrote: »

If the air is cold the dew will be low, I think its going to be totally marginal in Dublin though you are a bit inland so might do well.

Snowfields will be dry of course but airmass will be damp though so its all very very marginal..is it ever different in Ireland?

It is definitely going to be a nowcast event. it could even rain here or snow madly ...its all up in the air.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Seeing as the snow didn't come to me during the week, I am going to go to it tomorrow :pac: Where would the best place to drive to around the Dublin/Wicklow mountains be? Plan to park up and head into the snow...

Roads have been ploughed to Glendalough.
    Its stunningly beautiful there...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Roads have been ploughed to Glendalough.
    Its stunningly beautiful there...

Excellent, cheers. I'll head up that way in the morning so.

I was up there today. I think one of best accessable areas would be here:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.239325,-6.320175&spn=0.003088,0.006909&z=17

There's a car park there and a great place for tobogganing. I doubt you'd get much higher unless you're in a 4x4, as the roads were getting pretty bad by then.

Rougies wrote: »
    I was up there today. I think one of best accessable areas would be here:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.239325,-6.320175&spn=0.003088,0.006909&z=17

There's a car park there and a great place for tobogganing. I doubt you'd get much higher unless you're in a 4x4, as the roads were getting pretty bad by then.

Great, thanks - is the car park off the R115?

Mountain rescue units are gonna be busy tomorrow.
    If you are heading for the mountains please be aware that high up there are massive snow drifts and you could easily get stuck. A fun trip can in seconds beome a fear trip.

Wair warm clothes and if its hard going up the road...turn back..dont keep going its only going to be worse higher up!!

Please do not head up the mountains without adequate clothing and food supplies, conditions are severe higher up.

I'm genuinely worried this evening, the weekend walkers are about to descend on the hills and they have no idea how bad things really are up there :(

Glendalough has a lovely safe walk in the mountains with huge snow...please go there for your snow fix..you'll be back afterwards to tell the tale!!

Great, thanks - is the car park off the R115?

Yeah, right at the intersection with Cruagh road. Switch to satellite view you can see it.

The tobogganing hill is to the east, and I've just noticed some thing weird just to the west...a maze of some sort??? Didn't know that was there!

Edit.... Definitely don't continue up the R115 past there, unless you want to practice your survival skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

forkassed wrote: »
    A shower or 2 on the radar now down that direction, ye might get lucky.
    Good Man I'll have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yup, the SAR chopper was buzzing around Dundrum all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If you are heading for the mountains please be aware that high up there are massive snow drifts and you could easily get stuck. A fun trip can in seconds beome a fear trip.

Wair warm clothes and if its hard going up the road...turn back..dont keep going its only going to be worse higher up!!

Please do not head up the mountains without adequate clothing and food supplies, conditions are severe higher up.

I'm genuinely worried this evening, the weekend walkers are about to descend on the hills and they have no idea how bad things really are up there :(

Glendalough has a lovely safe walk in the mountains with huge snow...please go there for your snow fix..you'll be back afterwards to tell the tale!!

great post supercell. i hope anyone on intent on walking around that aera has the good sense to check this forum first and sees your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninkynonk

I've read nearly all the threads on the snowfall for the last week. haven't actually made any comments, but next saturday heading away and i would cry if the airport cancelled more flights. what does the weather look like for next week? i know its not an exact science but cold and warm fronts are normally able to be forecast. Will i be ok to think i'm flying out next Saturday? thanks lads- you've been doing some great work here this week! :D i've really enjoyed all of your predictions. i live in sandyford and we have had around 8 inches up here! :eek:
    Snow is great! except when it turns to ice or slush! :(
    thanks in advance for any replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Excellent advise.

Hopefully someone will have seen this and thought twice before setting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Snow, snow, snow. i took some beautiful pictures of it. I so want to see more snow. I am looking forward to Sunday now to see more - snowball fights & snowmen, here we come.

Thanks very much for all your work here, first time posting, but I check in a lot to see what is happening weather wise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

saw the rte forecast, they seemed to have snow symbols for the east coast for this Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday! Its nice to think we mite get some more snow but I dont think its gonna happen for the next 4 days in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads - this is getting ridiculous - serious amount of snow here and now more is forecast!

This is not a joke - if the wicklow mountains get more snow events this coming week then there should be avalanche warnings put out, especially on that road to the Sally Gap going by Lough Tay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads - this is getting ridiculous - serious amount of snow here and now more is forecast!

This is not a joke - if the wicklow mountains get more snow events this coming week then there should be avalanche warnings put out, especially on that road to the Sally Gap going by Lough Tay.

Well people have already been warned to stay off the wicklow and sally gap!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Amazing on the trip into town today that even areas around Raheny and from Bayside inwards had much more snow than here. Still around 2 inches lying in some gardens.

Meanwhile all the snow is basically gone here less my snowman!

I've cancelled my China flight, its pointless, at least i'll get my money back this way, will visit in the summer instead if I still have a job and the money saved is probably wise..

Bring on the snow!!

Respect!

Rougies wrote: »
    Yeah, right at the intersection with Cruagh road. Switch to satellite view you can see it.

The tobogganing hill is to the east, and I've just noticed some thing weird just to the west...a maze of some sort??? Didn't know that was there!

Edit.... Definitely don't continue up the R115 past there, unless you want to practice your survival skills.

Cheers... will have a look around there and Glendalough. Ideally I'd like to see some snow that has not yet been walked on but I suppose to do that I would be heading into danger territory as per Supercells warning.... unless there are some patches lower down, we shall see. I'll bring the sat nav in case I get lost :pac:

Cheers... will have a look around there and Glendalough. Ideally I'd like to see some snow that has not yet been walked on but I suppose to do that I would be heading into danger territory as per Supercells warning.... unless there are some patches lower down, we shall see. I'll bring the sat nav in case I get lost :pac:

There are loads of fields around here that havn't been walked on and good deep snow too. Take the N11 to Newtownmountkennedy, then take the Roundwood road. Our road is the first left past the golf club over the top of the hill.

A

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    There are loads of fields around here that havn't been walked on and good deep snow too. Take the N11 to Newtownmountkennedy, then take the Roundwood road. Our road is the first left past the golf club over the top of the hill.

A

Are the roads ok up that far? Good area then to continue walking? Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement