Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday: Sleet and Snow - Connaught, Leinster, Ulster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Just back from Glendalough and what a day it was! Absolutely amazing up there, apart from the odd 80's winter, I have never seen as much snow. We tried to get up towards Sally Gap but my car was having none of it - simply would not go forward so headed back to Glendalough via Annamoe.

Amazing how much the snow depth increased as we got higher up, went from about 4 inches lower down to at least two feet in parts - I know because I stood in some places where the snow went way over my knee. Hard work getting up to the top, tough work walking up at the best of times, let alone with snow depth increasing with every step! Regret not investing in some proper hiking shoes and not just regular runners.

What's the chances of this still being the case by next weekend? I need another fix.

Big delay on the way back though as the road was all clogged up with cars - clever people had decided to park where they pleased and caused quite a traffic jam :mad:

Took lots of photos so will pop some up later.

Really great day, recommend anyone who can to get up there while it lasts, a sight to behold.

Nice description :)
    Sounds like you had a good day out, this snow is really something, looking forward to a fresh layer tomorrow here :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Jake1 wrote: »
    to good to be true :(

Oh well, roll on next year :)

No, roll on next week and the rest of winter :)

Supercell wrote: »
    Nice description :)
    Sounds like you had a good day out, this snow is really something, looking forward to a fresh layer tomorrow here :)

Yeah its amazing, I really do envy you and others living up around that way. An amazing part of the country, regardless of snow. Now, if only it was possible to sell houses!!!

you think we'll get snow in Dublin next week,?

( Im sounding desparate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

you think we'll get snow in Dublin next week,?

( Im sounding desparate :)

GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thanks redsunset! Not often we see a gorgeous white blob over Galway!! Really enjoying your posts on the Strat Warming too- great stuff!!

Yeah its amazing, I really do envy you and others living up around that way. An amazing part of the country, regardless of snow. Now, if only it was possible to sell houses!!!

I'm only renting here unfortunately, longer the housing bust lasts the more likely I'll be able to afford a gaff here which is what I really would like.
    As long as I have a job I'll continue to save and wait for that wonderful day I can buy a gaff in the Laragh/Annamoe/Roundwood area!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No, roll on next week and the rest of winter :)
    Exactly!

Fionagus wrote: »
    Thanks redsunset! Not often we see a gorgeous white blob over Galway!! Really enjoying your posts on the Strat Warming too- great stuff!!

here Here! Ive have such a blast on these boards, watching and trying to learn. You people are great, its brilliant learning about the weather. Ive learn more here than when I was at school:)
    The anticipation is great, even if we dont get much. I'll be up at 8 in morning to see.:)

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm only renting here unfortunately, longer the housing bust lasts the more likely I'll be able to afford a gaff here which is what I really would like.
    As long as I have a job I'll continue to save and wait for that wonderful day I can buy a gaff in the Laragh/Annamoe/Roundwood area!

I can well imagine, how long have you been living up there now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking at tomorrow looks like some areas could do very well, Especially the north midlands and Ulster.

Could see snow all the way through with upto 15cms possible on hilly parts.

Could be a few cms in Dublin by 11am.

Expect the precip to reach Dublin by 8am, a hard frost on the turf and 850hpa temps not going to high.

Should be snow.

My husband and daughter think Im a nut, because I get so excited about snow.
    But, I think, in the middle of all the bad news from the Gov all week, the anticipation of snow, has brought out the inner child in us all. We can still be awed by Mother Nature. Its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looking at tomorrow looks like some areas could do very well, Especially the north midlands and Ulster.

Could see snow all the way through with upto 15cms possible on hilly parts.

Could be a few cms in Dublin by 11am.

Expect the precip to reach Dublin by 8am, a hard frost on the turf and 850hpa temps not going to high.

Should be snow.
    Hopefully south donegal will get some of this ,although i heard its not gona last, it will be gone tomoro nite or something.

Thanks WC !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hope we get something out of this front, snowed here last Monday for about 10 minutes and that was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Are we likely to see any snow at all in the south?

Darwin wrote: »
    Hope we get something out of this front, snowed here last Monday for about 10 minutes and that was it!
    BLOODY HELL WHERE ARE YOU.I GOT LOADS.PUT A PIC UP TOO

filo87 wrote: »
    Are we likely to see any snow at all in the south?
    In Cork, maybe briefly, I wouldn't expect there to be anything lying after the front clears there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EIDW 071700Z 0718/0818 33010KT 9999 SCT020 TEMPO 0810/0813 15015KT 4000 RASN BKN010 TEMPO 0810/0812 1200 SN BKN004 TEMPO 0813/0818 SHRASN SHGS BKN018CB

Basically they don't know either!

The tafs seem to have it arriving at 9am in the morning at Dub Airport.

Temporary Rain/Snow
    Temporary Snow

Then Showers of Rain/Snow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

is there much of a chance for Kilcock to see snow tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

redsunset wrote: »
    BLOODY HELL WHERE ARE YOU.I GOT LOADS.PUT A PIC UP TOO

Mountrath...less than 10 miles away from a snowfest in Abbeyleix!

Interesting taf that, no prob 30 just simple SN between 10 and 12, expect the forum to go nutz then :), the wailing will commence around 14:00 lollers!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

My husband and daughter think Im a nut, because I get so excited about snow.
    But, I think, in the middle of all the bad news from the Gov all week, the anticipation of snow, has brought out the inner child in us all. We can still be awed by Mother Nature. Its great.

:D at least im not alone than

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well the ground should be frozen sold as the front moves in, so snow should stick easy (if it does snow)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

60hrs out. Alot of snow for many away from the coasts if this came off.

60_30.gif

As for tomorrow - it's snow to rain really. I don't expect much but any snow that does fall should settle on the ground. A few cm's. Maybe a dusting here before turning to rain.

I fugging rescheduled my flights to thursday ..wtf!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I wish that front was moving over me now ! In Newbridge its currently its -0.4c and a dp of -3.9c,

Here's to hoping that i have a morning full of the white stuff, I went up to the Curragh in the last few days and it looked amazing , I will make sure to have the camera with me in the morning if we get a result

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the front is due to hit the soutwest in the next half hour

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Darwin wrote: »
    Mountrath...less than 10 miles away from a snowfest in Abbeyleix!

I bet there is snow close to Durrow, to the hills to the east of Carlow town and back around to here to a few miles from Kilkenny city.
    Looking at the satellite maps today one could see the Castlecomer plateau sticking out white.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlecomer_Plateau

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement