Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowboy Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

What? i read that the Garda in question receives benefits in the line of his duties.

Strongly painted anti gardai views? get off your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

As a serving Garda do I not have a right to choose where I buy my lunch? And as such am I not entitled to use a premises that chooses to gove me a discount? The benefit to the premises is that while I buy said lunch I am physically in the premises. It has nothing to do with getting a better response when you call for help, its about having the physical presence of Gardai when they make said purchase.

Oh and dont forget that Gardai actually have to feed prisoners as well so the majority of times you see a Garda walking without paying is because its for a prisoner and the state has a tab with the premises.

As for clubs, Coppers is owned by ex Gardai and therefore they offer their former colleagues free entry while any other premises that does it has the advantage of knowing that your a Garda and can call on you should there be trouble. Its the same for bus drivers, any problems and they get you to deal with it. In exchange for my free travel I am essentially going back on duty for the duration of my travel.

Off duty Gardai get involved in arrests and detaining people all the time. Besides all that, if its so great being a Garda then sign up!
    So in essence your offering 'protection' in exchange for goods/services/privileges received, good stuff glad to know

You ignored his explanation of the nature of the benefits received and the not so sinister nature of his potential help offered, then just gave a preprepared and irrelevant tabloid style criticism.

I'm sure bus drivers would gladly give free travel to anybody they knew for a fact would get up out of their seat and deal with knackers smoking down the back or junkies yelling abuse at people. A garda presence on board is a guarantee that someone will deal with that, and not charging is simply a sign of goodwill.

The garda isn't offering protection, he's obliged to intervene anyway, or at least very much inclined to. Shopowners and service providers are just showing their appreciation for this potential assistance, in addition to the official help they receive from the Gardai in general, in a small and insignificant way.
    What? i read that the Garda in question receives benefits in the line of his duties.
    And? well? Explain why that's wrong, why his explanation isn't good enough, in what way this constitutes twisted and evil corruption, rather than a harmless sign of appreciation and community spirit? Or else STFU and stop being a begrudger.

I am uncomfortable with the notion a public servant receives benefits in such a manner. that doesnt make me a begrudger. I dislike the idea that when a garda is on the beat he visits particular establishments where he receives gratitude. Also should Bus Drivers not charge fare, are they not obliged to do so. i dislike the idea that if you charge Gardai instead of giving out freebies then they are just going to frequent the shop down the road where freebies are offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Remind me to post on this tomorrow. I'd a bad experience with a jerk ass, badge waving (off duty) garda and a taxi. Too p1ssed to socially document it. Welcome to gimpsville. Population: Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Remind me to post on this tomorrow. I'd a bad experience with a jerk ass, badge waving (off duty) garda and a taxi. Too p1ssed to socially document it. Welcome to gimpsville. Population: Me.

by all means tell your story now that you have sobered up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I worked as a bouncer for a while in a night club.

For some reason, young off duty gardai felt the need to show us their badge at the door.

I remember on one occasion we were clearing the night club, it was getting after the legal closing time and one of our bouncers asked a group of guys to move to the fromt door, we were trying to clear up.

Then one of the Group, a guy about 26, says "its ok, im a garda".. the bouncer replies.. "good for you, now move to the front door please" - the young garda replies "do you want me to flash the badge" to which the bouncer says "no, you can stick your badge up your arse- now move to the door!"

Oh jesus christ, my head is pounding. Anyways, i was getting a taxi home last night with two friends. We waited in the queue for about twenty minutes and finally got one. Before we pulled off, this guy who was hammered, opened the passenger door and said, 'i'm a garda, which way are ye going' and then flashed his badge. I told him it didnt matter which way we were going but we werent letting him share the cab.

There were a few other words exchanged but they are not fit for print. I've no problem sharing a taxi with people, but it was the pure cheek of the guy. He expected us to bend over for him like he was f**king royalty. I know what i'd liked to have done with that badge!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Gardai. I just don't like 'em. Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Phoole wrote: »
    Bloody hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ashisback

my friends a garda and he pulled over my boyfriend the other night for speeding and then the garda friend speeds up the road he got pulled over before for speeding and he didnt even get a fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Plenty good eggs out there IMO. But there's plenty cops who abuse the badge for sure.

Was woken up one morning, whilst living above a pub, by a gang of Sergeants from Dublin hammering on the door, looking for beers. At 6am.

Same place then sure didn't 2 plains clothes from Dept of Justice just waltz in the door of the flats and wander into our place - when the bar staff were changing gas canisters. Practically refused to leave when we challenged them too. Should have prevented them from leaving and called the local police in retrospect but what can ya do? You declare you've a problem with them and you'll get persecuted for sure.

I know one Sergeant in Shannon who let someone off for smoking a joint AND Speeding on the motorway just cos they knew em. I was disgusted when I found out. Suppose that's Ireland in general for ya; not what ya know, it's who ya know. ****ing nod and wink society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Random Gardai getting petrol pic......

dickscb7.jpg

What does that have to do with anything? ^^^^^^^^^^^:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

What does that have to do with anything? ^^^^^^^^^^^:D:D
    Random covered me, I don't have to reply to justify my actions. :pac::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The answers here, condoning 'free perks' - unearned favours given to gardai with a nod and a wink, and 'rights' like free parking on State property - are a fascinating window into Irish attitudes.

Why no poll? I'd be up there saying "Perks make me think the Gardai are not to be trusted".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

There's perks with every job if you want them go get a better job.
    I get perks with my job and I don't see why Gardai shouldn't either.

As always some people will go OTT like the garda who flashed his badge to try share a taxi, that's not on. It's this exact type of behaviour why I wouldn't like to see armed Gardai, most of them not armed anyway.

Fairplay to the Seargants for getting a few pints in the morning, we've all got a lock in at some stage :D

Being a Gardai isnt a regular job, thus any perks received are not in the same vein as somone stealing stationary from their office job.

I want to dispute Karlito's explanation that allowing gardai in for free is of benefit to a nightclub, in all honesty do you truly believe a drunk garda should get involved if there's any trouble on the premises??!! Really???!!!! I've worked in a nightclub a few years ago, I have had abuse roared at me because I let an off duty garda in for free (the policy of the business) but would not let her gaggle of non-garda friends in for free. Also had abuse roared at me by a garda and was threatened with the line "I'll be back on duty tomorrow night"??? (His friends had to drag him away...) Feel free to interpret that however you like but he was a very obnoxious drunk man who happened to be a garda and somehow thought this granted him entitlements and also absolved him from the normal rules of society - like civilty...
    I think the gardai do a great job when they're on duty, no doubt about it, I abhor the attitude that they are entitled to be let in free anywhere, or given anything free, that is the choice of the establishment. Some gardai don't seem to understand this... I personally feel, in order to prevent lines being crossed, as per the situations I encountered, these sort of perks should not be allowed for gardai. They don't need them and it's asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's a difference between perks - which are normally things that you'll pay tax on, and things that are officially available and part of your job - and this kind of under-the-table sneakiness.

If you'd blush if someone saw the story of your perk in the newspaper and called you on it, then it's not a perk, it's a corrupt payment.

I would certainly respect a garda who did *not* take these freebies. I wouldn't respect one who did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

eroo wrote: »
    Does anyone here actually realise that most Gardai have a 'record book' w/ each shop..basically everything they get is put down in the book and paid at weekly/monthly periods.I have seen Gardai coming and gioing in a shop close to my school,when they buy something they write into the book and off they go.Then a week/month later they pay for it in bulk...nothing corrupt there.

Why don't they just pay for their goods there and then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Phoole wrote: »

Honestly you are entitled to your opinion but it would probably be a good idea if you at least removed the reg number of your car from the picture so no could call you on your mobile phone that you posted on carzone.ie ;)

TheNog wrote: »
    Honestly you are entitled to your opinion but it would probably be a good idea if you at least removed the reg number of your car from the picture so no could call you on your mobile phone that you posted on carzone.ie ;)

Why should he do that then?

Why should he do that then?

Well obviously if someone didn't like him/her and recognises the car then they have his/her phone number.

TheNog wrote: »
    Well obviously if someone didn't like him/her and recognises the car then they have his/her phone number.

Like who? Gardai on their downtime. what exactly are you trying to infer?

Like who? Gardai on their downtime. what exactly are you trying to infer?

just making an observation is all. are you okay?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Who are they hurting?

Bita coffee here and there? free into a night club. Big woop....."rookie" cops have it hard workin every holiday and whatnot.

Leave the poor cowboys alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The Garda are always helping out at the leisure plex in Tallaght, theres always drunken scumbags about there, so they get free breakfasts. My mate worked in dominoes and said that he has to give garda discounts, I've served garda and never given them discounts, as we cant, Because we have discount cards issued for our own use only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Now before I start this is NOT a garda bashing thread. They do a great job blah blah blah. However they get some nice perks out of it. Take my mate. He's a recently qualified garda, straight out of the sty and full of power. Flashes the badge wherever possible to prevent crime.....or to get a free bag of chips from Macari's.

It's unbelievable. Spar down from the station give him and his buddies free coffee in exchange for extra vigilence, he never pays into a nightclub, he can park his car in Dublin Castle all day to do his shopping and only today I've been informed he is on his way to Limerick by train with his buddies on the piss. Did he pay for the ticket? Did he f*ck. Quick badge flash and he's off.

What I'm wondering really is this just a perk of the job or should it be stood for? Also does anyone else have stories of rogue guards getting free chicken rolls?

P.S. He's also allowed drive a squad car yet is a notorious dodgy driving. I've had a brush with death on at least one occassion.

"Cowboys Ted, they're all a bunch of cowboys"

Wow, sounds like Ireland really is different to here. None of that would occur here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Rob_l wrote: »
    garda ombudsman has been forwarded a link to this thread FTW

Someones a bit jealous! Wouldn't it be a bit of a waste of the ombudsman's time, its not like anybody mentions names. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 agent1

Get a life, ye all would be the ones to moan if you were in a spot of bother and there was no police force.

Advertisement