Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowboy Gardai

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Enii wrote: »
    Why don't they just pay for their goods there and then?

Any services the local station uses such as petrol/diesel or prisoner meals are on account and are paid by the district office, not by individual gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

TheNog wrote: »
    Any services the local station uses such as petrol/diesel or prisoner meals are on account and are paid by the district office, not by individual gardai

out of interest, how is that controlled?
    Is it done by some prisoner number or something?
    What stops the garda just getting for for himself and saying its for a prisoner?

GreeBo wrote: »
    out of interest, how is that controlled?
    Is it done by some prisoner number or something?
    What stops the garda just getting for for himself and saying its for a prisoner?

When a prisoner is detained a cusody record is started as soon as they enter the door of the dayroom/custody suite. Everything that prisoner does goes into the record and the time it is done. Even times the prisoner went to the toilet or brought out for a smoke etc is entered into the custody record. This record can be viewed and often is viewed at court for the more serious crimes.

To order prisoner meal the member in charge simply rings the establishment and orders it. It is collected and given to the prisoner. A simple control would for a sergeant simply viewing the bill from that establishment and viewing the custody record book to see how many prisoner were detained that day and who got food.

In all fairness there would not be many guards out there who would risk possibly losing there jobs or definitely being disciplined or a criminal conviction after doing 2 years training for a meal that would cost probably less than €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In all fairness there would not be many guards out there who would risk possibly losing there jobs or definitely being disciplined or a criminal conviction after doing 2 years training for a meal that would cost probably less than €10.

Unfortunately in every profession there are people who will risk it all for a seemingly worthless reason.

Cheers for the info.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Unfortunately in every profession there are people who will risk it all for a seemingly worthless reason.

that is so true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I only found this out now... And I'm disgusted.

If you think the Gardai are bad, have you seen what these bunch do. They go around and flash their cards at nightclub doors and get money off the entrance fee!! And sometimes, if you dont have the card, they wont let you in!! At all!!

And some places give them cheap stuff. I saw one in the pharmacy buying condoms and lifeline tablets, and he got 10% off!!! Just cause he flashed his card.

I saw another on georges street getting a cheap roll!! Just cause he flashed his card.

And when I had to pay 50 euro to get a return ticket to galway, my mate (who is one of them) only paid like 35!!

They're those damn cheap-ass students!! THEY ARE USING THEUR POSITION AS PRIVILEDGE, REPORT IT TO THE USI IMMEDIATELY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

this is all a bit petty
    if you wanna be a cop be one if you don't then don't who cares that they get stuff cheap its a crappy job with crappy hours and there are certainly lads that go after the hard men
    the reason ye whingers have only met the ones seemingly going after the softer targets is that they are the visable police force designed to keep joe soap on the straight and narrow
    the real thief takers and gang watchers never go near the soft targets and don't wear uniforms
    they also weart their vests to and from work and need to be a lot more careful then uniformed cops

if anyone has an acual issue please report it otherwise realise that ther are people out there watching over ye and they feel that sa few perks are part of the job description

and seriously who here isn't at work at the moment
    using their perks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

One of my mates used to work in a local petrol station. Whenever a member of the Gardai was on the premises, he was told (by the manager), to offer them tea/coffee and whatever else they wanted. The manager obviously figured it was a good idea as the Gardai would be the ones chasing down the people who drove off without paying for petrol, or whoever would try hold-up whoever was on the tills.
    Whenever I see them getting clothes for an inmate where I work, they fill it all out in a book which is paid off at a later date.

In fairness in general they're only getting little bits here and there, its not like they're looking for €200 off the clothes they buy in Brown Thomas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

sunnyjim wrote: »
    I only found this out now... And I'm disgusted.

If you think the Gardai are bad, have you seen what these bunch do. They go around and flash their cards at nightclub doors and get money off the entrance fee!! And sometimes, if you dont have the card, they wont let you in!! At all!!

And some places give them cheap stuff. I saw one in the pharmacy buying condoms and lifeline tablets, and he got 10% off!!! Just cause he flashed his card.

I saw another on georges street getting a cheap roll!! Just cause he flashed his card.

And when I had to pay 50 euro to get a return ticket to galway, my mate (who is one of them) only paid like 35!!

They're those damn cheap-ass students!! THEY ARE USING THEUR POSITION AS PRIVILEDGE, REPORT IT TO THE USI IMMEDIATELY!!

hhaha quality post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    The Garda are always helping out at the leisure plex in Tallaght, theres always drunken scumbags about there, so they get free breakfasts. My mate worked in dominoes and said that he has to give garda discounts, I've served garda and never given them discounts, as we cant, Because we have discount cards issued for our own use only.

Domino's have a deal on for all emergency services on production of ID to show the company's appreciation for the hard work done in the community, at least that's what the poster in the store in Douglas in Cork says, I'll bet your mate didn't tell you that he has to do the same for firemen and ambulance crews.

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    its a crappy job

I don't think it is a crappy job at all. There are moments of huge adreneline and moments of great satisfaction when you help someone in real trouble. There are of course bad times but these are heavily outwayed by the good times.
    I also meet and work with some great characters

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

foinse wrote: »
    Domino's have a deal on for all emergency services on production of ID to show the company's appreciation for the hard work done in the community, at least that's what the poster in the store in Douglas in Cork says, I'll bet your mate didn't tell you that he has to do the same for firemen and ambulance crews.

Reardons do the same in cork

They let nurses firemen paramedics and gardai in for free to show appreciation for the work they do.

And they know they are big drinkers and that if the club is full of them it will attract an even bigger crowd. Alot of people want to meet and ehhem "score" with these types of people.

Dont believe me? have a look at the amount of people in that place monday to sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Honestly you are entitled to your opinion but it would probably be a good idea if you at least removed the reg number of your car from the picture so no could call you on your mobile phone that you posted on carzone.ie ;)
    I'll give you my name and address if you like and when you knock at my door and I'll still say the same thing, but with a smile! :D

Advertisement