Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowboy Gardai

Options
  • 07-12-2007 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

Now before I start this is NOT a garda bashing thread. They do a great job blah blah blah. However they get some nice perks out of it. Take my mate. He's a recently qualified garda, straight out of the sty and full of power. Flashes the badge wherever possible to prevent crime.....or to get a free bag of chips from Macari's.

It's unbelievable. Spar down from the station give him and his buddies free coffee in exchange for extra vigilence, he never pays into a nightclub, he can park his car in Dublin Castle all day to do his shopping and only today I've been informed he is on his way to Limerick by train with his buddies on the piss. Did he pay for the ticket? Did he f*ck. Quick badge flash and he's off.

What I'm wondering really is this just a perk of the job or should it be stood for? Also does anyone else have stories of rogue guards getting free chicken rolls?

P.S. He's also allowed drive a squad car yet is a notorious dodgy driving. I've had a brush with death on at least one occassion.

"Cowboys Ted, they're all a bunch of cowboys"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Ring Joe Duffy on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Now before I start this is NOT a garda bashing thread. They do a great job blah blah blah. However they get some nice perks out of it. Take my mate. He's a recently qualified garda, straight out of the sty and full of power. Flashes the badge wherever possible to prevent crime.....or to get a free bag of chips from Macari's.

It's unbelievable. Spar down from the station give him and his buddies free coffee in exchange for extra vigilence, he never pays into a nightclub, he can park his car in Dublin Castle all day to do his shopping and only today I've been informed he is on his way to Limerick by train with his buddies on the piss. Did he pay for the ticket? Did he f*ck. Quick badge flash and he's off.

What I'm wondering really is this just a perk of the job or should it be stood for? Also does anyone else have stories of rogue guards getting free chicken rolls?

P.S. He's also allowed drive a squad car yet is a notorious dodgy driving. I've had a brush with death on at least one occassion.

That's so wrong, talk about taking advantage! He should be reported! I know he's your mate and all but that's just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Not a job I'd want for all the free coffees and parking in the world. Perks- he's a guard- that's punishment enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I know loads of gardai - everyone of them gets perks like that and lot more besides which I wont go into cos some of them are actually alright and it'd dead handy to have a garda or two on your side ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ring Joe Duffy on Monday.

Don't know if RTE could stretch their budget to ring back a caller on the other side of the world :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

garda ombudsman has been forwarded a link to this thread FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Indeed, because the good folk who will reply in this thread have never taken advantage of job perks before. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Dragan wrote: »
    Indeed, because the good folk who will reply in this thread have never taken advantage of job perks before. :rolleyes:

its criminal for a garda to do it
    so its very different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I get to park free at various government building and state offices too.

I also get free a limited amount of travel warrents, regardless what your friend says, this is what he gets.

I'm not a cop, but I do get some perks :D

(Oh yea) A.C.A.B. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Don't know if RTE could stretch their budget to ring back a caller on the other side of the world :D

Well, Pat Kenny was brought in from the far side of the moon, so you never know!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

in fairness if you could get away with it you would... well i would does that make me a bad person?

everybody has perks to there job, some just take more advantage of em than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

I know loads of gardai - everyone of them gets perks like that and lot more besides which I wont go into cos some of them are actually alright and it'd dead handy to have a garda or two on your side ;);)
    exactly the same, better to have the baxtards with u than against:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Knew some gaurd that would always flash her badge to get her and her friends into nightclubs for free etc. If I ever worked anywhere and a guard tried to do anything like that I'd laugh in their face. It's a disgrace tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Rob_l wrote: »
    garda ombudsman has been forwarded a link to this thread FTW

He's the man alright !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Yeah the guards are disgusting with all their 'perks' of getting into nightclubs free etc.

Not like insurance workers with their cheap insurance.
    Or bank workers with their preferential loans.
    Or shop workers with their store discounts.
    Or assorted civil servants with their free parking, subsidised canteens etc.
    Or bar workers with their late pints after work.
    Or anyone with flexi time.
    Or teachers with their half days.

I could go on.

You know cops can get their stab proof vest replaced, just like that, when it gets splashed with bodily fluids. It's a disgraceful waste of resources really!

Point is every job has perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Knew some gaurd that would always flash her badge to get her and her friends into nightclubs for free etc. If I ever worked anywhere and a guard tried to do anything like that I'd laugh in their face. It's a disgrace tbh.

Why is it a disgrace? It's up to the nightclub owner who they want to let in for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Also does anyone else have stories of rogue guards getting free chicken rolls?

I used to know a bouncer in London who used to photocopy their warrant cards when they blagged free entry. He had no worries when he was stopped.

Blagging free entry to a club is an abuse of authority in the UK & is a sackable offence or it can be seen as a gratuity. Dunno if the cops here have to declare that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

colliegG wrote: »
    Yeah the guards are disgusting with all their 'perks' of getting into nightclubs free etc.

Not like insurance workers with their cheap insurance.
    Or bank workers with their preferential loans.
    Or shop workers with their store discounts.
    Or assorted civil servants with their free parking, subsidised canteens etc.
    Or bar workers with their late pints after work.
    Or anyone with flexi time.
    Or teachers with their half days.

I could go on.

You know cops can get their stab proof vest replaced, just like that, when it gets splashed with bodily fluids. It's a disgraceful waste of resources really!

Point is every job has perks.

AND they also get FREE injections againts Hepatitis etc! Can you imagine? It's so unfair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

to give you another example:

I was in Dublin City Centre two weeks ago - patrol car parked outside an
    Abrakebabra. Then out comes one of the lads with two bags of food. He hops in the passenger seat, car pulls off the footpath and the driver puts blue lights on straight away. Now either one of two things happened a) they got an emergency call just there OR b) they were putting the lights on to get back to the station quicker and stuff themselves.

If it was incident "b" - it it really really annoying that they are harassing the general public everyday for petty things BUT when its comes to obeying the rules of their own organisation - they just flagrantly flout them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

jetsonx wrote: »
    to give you another example:

I was in Dublin City Centre two weeks ago - patrol car parked outside an
    Abrakebabra. Then out comes one of the lads with two bags of food. He hops in the passenger seat, car pulls off the footpath and the driver puts blue lights on straight away. Now either one of two things happened a) they got an emergency call just there OR b) they were putting the lights on to get back to the station quicker and stuff themselves.

If it was incident "b" - it it really really annoying that they are harassing the general public everyday for petty things BUT when its comes to obeying the rules of their own organisation - they just flagrantly flout them.

There is no doubt in my mind that it was incident B. Them chip butties go cold awful quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Celticfire wrote: »
    Why is it a disgrace? It's up to the nightclub owner who they want to let in for free.

Because they think they're better than everyone else. "I'm a guard, why should I have to pay". But of course it's the people on the doors of they nightclubs etc that let them get away with it.

Lola123 wrote: »
    AND they also get FREE injections againts Hepatitis etc! Can you imagine? It's so unfair!

And don't get me started on the free uniform.

Joe public has to wear his own clothes at work and the guards *boo, hiss* get provided with clothes. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

seriously, ye should listen to ye'reselves, they get a few perks here and there and every cop on the face of the planet gets these, the met police are just as bad if not worse, lets face the fact, It's not a job I'd do, taking all the crap and ****ty jobs you get doled out, the **** hours and crap pay, no thanks, they need the perks to keep them sane and motivated!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Because they think they're better than everyone else. "I'm a guard, why should I have to pay". But of course it's the people on the doors of they nightclubs etc that let them get away with it.

It's generally accepted that if a garda is given free admission to a nightclub, they'll help out if there are any problems with other customers. I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Jealousy will get u nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Its always been like that...

I worked in Maccers 15 years ago and whenever the police came in they got whatever they wanted for free, this was a direct order from the store manager.

Its been happening for years...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

friends of the family had a restaurant in Harcourt street in the 80s and within a week of the opening the boys were down for their free grub. But then again the bin men used to come looking for money at xmas, if they tried that now I'd tell em to f*** off!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

How about a €38k per year perk?..

Mairt wrote: »
    How about a €38k per year perk?..

Ah come on now, if you want the best you gotta pay the best.

Actually, hold on. Wait a minute. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

colliegG wrote: »
    Ah come on now, if you want the best you gotta pay the best.

Robocop works for free and he's easily worth 2 (if not 3) Gardai. The future is bionic!

Advertisement