Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowboy Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

colliegG wrote: »
    Bribery: The offering of money or other incentives to persuade somebody to do something, especially something dishonest or illegal

Gift: Something that is given to somebody, usually in order to provide pleasure or to show gratitude.

Where do you think a cup of coffee fits in??

Also if the Gardai were actively grafting shops in their district do you think they'd settle for a coffee? If, as some claim, their professional ethics and morals were for sale do you not think they might be a tad dearer?

Never knew there was such jealousy towards the Gardai over their coffee.

Also there would NEVER be an investigation into removing a nite clubs licence over a member being refused entry. (There's not enough resources)

What an obsessive, misinformed, paronoid crock of sh1t this thread is.

So, Hobby Bobby, when a major Irish retail outlet dishes out free drink every year (worth a couple of hundred euro) to the local nick where ever there is a store where does that lie?

Bribery or a Gratuity?

Beers & spirits are handed to the local Inspector. It's called their "Christmas Box".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

A COUPLE OF HUNDRED EURO??? BETWEEN THE WHOLE STATION?? OH MY GOD :eek:

I didn't realise it was that endemic. Wow. Corruption of the highest level. Quick call the Ombudsman.

My friend of mine (accountant) is at this moment driving around the city delivering €2500 worth of hampers to clients.

My brother (builder) will deliver around the same over the weekend.

Honestly have a think now. You don't know anyone who either gets or receives gifts??

A COUPLE OF HUNDRED EURO??? BETWEEN THE WHOLE STATION?? OH MY GOD :eek:

I didn't realise it was that endemic. Wow. Corruption of the highest level. Quick call the Ombudsman.

My friend of mine (accountant) is at this moment driving around the city delivering €2500 worth of hampers to clients.

My brother (builder) will deliver around the same over the weekend.

Honestly have a think now. You don't know anyone who either gets or receives gifts??

Still haven't answered the question. (My god, I can see now why the regulars were so against the forming of Hobby Bobbies)....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Getting free coffee isn't the greatest perk of all time but when you couple it with free public transport, free admission to night clubs etc it becomes a different story.

But still they'd never accept a free ticket to watch MCFC Muppets!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Getting free coffee isn't the greatest perk of all time but when you couple it with free public transport, free admission to night clubs etc it becomes a different story.

why don't you get a job then?

see how you like spending the majority of your weekend dealing with all the drunking messy wasters from said night clubs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

But still they'd never accept a free ticket to watch MCFC Muppets!:D

I knew I should have put my 'Muppet of the Year' vote to better use.

I knew I should have put my 'Muppet of the Year' vote to better use.

Yeah lets vote for MCFC to win Premier, no, to win anything!

Bitter and Blue.

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Still haven't answered the question. (My god, I can see now why the regulars were so against the forming of Hobby Bobbies)....

The reason I haven't answered your question is because I'm not going to perpetrate a possibly libelous accusation. Inspectors would be a small enough group to be identifiable. Unless you're sure about it you might want to take the opportunity to revise it. Knowing a retired Garda inspector I can tell you he has never received anything from any supermarket as a gift.

Also I would advise you that naming a supermarket and then impugning them with such malicious rumours as bribing the police may lead to them getting a bit litigous about it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gardai shouldnt take anything because it erodes confidence in their incorruptability.

If these places dont think they will get a return on such things, then why are they doing it? Are they just overwhelmed with gratitude and social spirit?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yeah lets vote for MCFC to win Premier, no, to win anything!

Bitter and Blue.

Yeah perhaps everyone should pick a big side to support and then boast when "their" side wins something. How big is your penis?

• Advertisement

Also I would advise you that naming a supermarket and then impugning them with such malicious rumours as bribing the police may lead to them getting a bit litigous about it.

Not a rumour, a fact. And the question remains just what it is, a question. What can this be construed as? A bribe or a gift? How do you think some members of the public would perceive it?

(Above post #242 revised)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

DeVore wrote: »
    Gardai shouldnt take anything because it erodes confidence in their incorruptability.

If these places dont think they will get a return on such things, then why are they doing it? Are they just overwhelmed with gratitude and social spirit?

DeV.

You would be surprised.

Following 9/11 NYPD and NY firefighters eat and drink for free all over New York.

You would be amazed to belive that some people actually recognize and appreciate the work that gardai do.

They realise that the gardai have an extremely tough job much of which is never seen by the public, and that irish prisons are full of extremely damgerous individuals, and its not due to those people giving themselves up!

Not a rumour, a fact. And the question remains just what it is, a question. What can this be construed as? A bribe or a gift? How do think some members of the public would perceive it?

(Above post #242 revised)

You see I know that it's not a fact. As I already told you I know a retired inspector who never received anything from any well known chain of supermarkets. I would think that if you had proof to support your accusations you would not have edited your earlier post.

Anyway I prefer to deal in facts, not suppositions nor wild claims but I'll make an exception and treat yours hypothetically.

If you had bothered to read my earlier posts you would know that I believe that if anyone (in any sort of employment) received anything that equates in value to "a couple hundred euro" from the one doner at the one time and did not declare it to their superiors I would be suspicious of their motives. That is not bribery though as nothing is being asked for in return. However if that person did anything that could be construed as a favour to the doner, accusations of grafting would then be suitable.

My whole point is that lots of people get freebies, gifts or perks and it is hypocritical to hold the Gardai up to a set of moral standards that the rest of us don't have to keep. People maintaining a holier than thou attitude about something that pervades every level of Irish society is what bugs me, not whether the Gardai are corrupt or not in accepting a near worthless freebie.

You see I know that it's not a fact. As I already told you I know a retired inspector who never received anything from any well known chain of supermarkets. I would think that if you had proof to support your accusations you would not have edited your earlier post.

I revised my post as I am unsure on the policy of Boards.ie of naming names. It is a fact, I have personally handed over the "Christmas box" to an Inspector somewhwere in Ireland and on other occasions, some detectives. You can categorically state your retired friend never received any gifts/gratuities? That would be like a parent stating they know their childs every move, when in fact that is so far from the truth.

What accusation? A question was asked. Read my earlier posts.
    My whole point is that lots of people get freebies, gifts or perks and it is hypocritical to hold the Gardai up to a set of moral standards that the rest of us don't have to keep. People maintaining a holier than thou attitude about something that pervades every level of Irish society is what bugs me, not whether the Gardai are corrupt or not in accepting a near worthless freebie.

As DeVore states: Gardai shouldnt take anything because it erodes confidence in their incorruptability.

He is correct in what he says. However, as stated in my previous posts on this I don't have an issue with the minor perks being dished out. It's a fact of life. But, as seen, this thread has raised some for's & against's and a lot of mixed reaction. Favouritism is met with some of these "perks".

Law enforcers have to abide by the rules & be seen to be "whiter than white", their integrity should be non-negotiable.

So, again, What do you think the public will perceive from the free drink given out? Bribery or a gratuity/gift?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You see I knew you had to have brains to run boards! :)
    This is exactly my point.
    If you add together all the "ifs" and add a sprinkling of the fact that we are all human you end up with an issue.
    If the Gardai not accept anything as a policy then thats it, end of story. No one can have any argument about them being corrupt or on the take on any level
    DeV.
    Apaprently they do it because its Business101.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

When i used to work in nightclub,the chinese next door would give all the bouncers free grub,it meant they had access to a bunch of back-up if they had any problems.We were happy,they were happy.Slightly OT but i'd rather give a Guard ten thousand free cups of tea than give a roma begger one red cent.

It is a fact, I have personally handed over the "Christmas box" to an Inspector somewhwere in Ireland and on other occasions, some detectives.

So, again, What do you think the public will perceive from the free drink given out? Bribery or a gratuity/gift?

Ok first of all your accusation was that every inspector based near one of those stores received a "Christmas Box". I took issue with that as I didn't believe it to be true.

I think the public can believe what it wants. For the umpteenth time I believe that to see grafting is to judge the Gardai by different standards to anyone else. Gifts are given to everyone. To impose falsely higher moral standards on one section of the workforce is imo hypocrisy. Personally having received unsolicited corporate gifts I would not see the Christmas Box as a bribe as I assume it was to be doled out around the station thus watering down it's value. I had thought I mentioned that already, sorry. If it was for one person it should have been declared. I would be disgusted if it wasn't.

This argument is ironic given that I do actually agree with some of the point yourself and Devore are making. It is important that the Gardai are seen as incorruptable however imho taking certain gifts doesn't make them corrupted. That probably sounds naive but what I mean is that I judge everyone as I would like to be judged. I take gifts and it in no way influences me. I think evidence of corruption should lead to prosecutions to the full extent of the law but I'm not one of these who see smoke and immediately scream fire.

Our system of Law, to which we are all subject, demands evidence not supposition or innuendo. That's my own ethical standpoint and one I defend.
    I don't think the Gardai deserve gifts by virtue of their jobs but nor to I think they should be denied them by virtue of their jobs.

Btw the whole Hobby Bobby thing? No offence but it doesn't bother me coming from yourself. Now from a Garda it would be a differnet matter. Can you not see that I'm defending a section of the community who don't really care much for me. Frankly it's not them I defend but rather the principle of equality.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Apaprently they do it because its Business101.

Marketing 101

DeV.

Perhaps your perceived fear of losing confidence grappling with some unfounded sense of corruption?

It is more likely nothing more than small acts of simple gratitude and there's nothing wrong with that ?

Tips and perks enjoyed by some but hated by many. Tough world!!

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Yeah perhaps everyone should pick a big side to support and then boast when "their" side wins something. How big is your penis?

Nothing to cheer about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sonnenblumen, please stay on topic and stop trolling.
    This is not the soccer forum.

Btw the whole Hobby Bobby thing? No offence but it doesn't bother me coming from yourself. Now from a Garda it would be a differnet matter. Can you not see that I'm defending a section of the community who don't really care much for me. Frankly it's not them I defend but rather the principle of equality.

This thread also shows my support for the Reserve Force. You will notice that the main poster objecting to it is apparently a full time officer and a very rude one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Trojan,are you a police officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Your organisation participates in charitable acts and gives gifts to hospitals etc. Do you expect a return, or are you merely appreciative of their work? Nevertheless, I still believe that such 'perks' are given to Gardaí due to business sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

He has also seen free niteclub entry and free intercity travel.

My nightclub is empty all week, busy at the weekend. I know, I'll let guards, nurses, firemen etc. in, establish a good name with the organisations, they'll spend lots of money on irregular days they get off. I'm ****ing jammed out the door all week, cha-ching! Free intercity travel exists in case a Guard is following a criminal.. oh dear, he's got on a train, I guess I better leave him off since I've no money to follow him.. dumb.

People want guards on Luas, buses etc. as it's safer. All guards are trained in CPR for one thing. Use your head, and think about these things you bitch about.
    So two shops dont ever get robbed at the same time? What one shop town do you live in mate?

I didn't say never, however on the balance of probability with crime statistics in Dublin.. it's extremely unlikely to the point of being a preposterous argument. When you factor in the variable of one of the shops getting preferential treatment by a state body due to free coffee... it's a ****ing illogical joke mate.
    Ah ok, so if it was something more expensive you see that it could buy extra protection? 2 cups of coffee day is at least €600 tax free. Id love you to let me know what figure you *do* have problems with.

I'll give you a clue.. it's not a cup of coffee or a 10% discount on a sambo... :rolleyes:
    Good business acumen? Thats hilarious. Its good business acumen for a developer to give the planning board free holidays, that doesnt make it right.
    Im amazed that you cannot see how joe soap getting freebies is not the same as a public servant in the course of their duties getting freebies.

Who's talking about holidays? we're talking about coffees and such trinkets. Yes, it's good business acumen. Give a free cup of coffee, receive business from 20+ guards every day who will also buy other overpriced crap I sell.
    :confused: show me the flaw or shut up really.:cool:

I believe, Greebo, I've clearly pointed out the flaws at this stage. I'd advise you to have a think about it before you continue your diatribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

They deserve the perks i think, i'm not sure how much they get paid but i'm 99% sure its not enough.

ps i'm not a guard

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

They deserve the perks i think, i'm not sure how much they get paid but i'm 99% sure its not enough.

ps i'm not a guard

they deserve the perks??????:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    because they dont get paid enough/ there under constant threat/ its a difficult job/the stress if a guard thinks like this he shouldn't be in the job they do a phsic test to check the can handle the pressures and if they can't handle the pressures give em a job as security in tescos..oh and they applied for the job they wern't forced into it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Maybe this thread should be closed and we could all agree to disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

TheNog wrote: »
    Maybe this thread should be closed and we could all agree to disagree

I dont agree with closing this thread. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I don't agree with mods having these extra perks, like closing threads.

Also, my father knows a mod whose internet speed is twice as high as mine.
    I think that's disgraceful.

Advertisement