Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck Up Irish women who think they are hot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

I have not dated an Irish girl since I left college....5 years ago. Some are good craic alright, the decent looking ones seem to know it and won't be content you feel until Colin Farell/some guy from Westlife discovers them and falls madly in love.
    I have been out with French/Spanish/American/Polish/Australian girls and even the best looking ones have not been up themselves. Yet everytime I come back here it's always the same story. I find it easier chatting up foreign girls rather than Irish girls.
    Why is that? Does anyone feel the same or have the same experiences? I've dated some gorgeous foreign girls yet if those same girls were Irish they would not give me the time of day, never mind tell me be on my way.

Maybe those Irish women you were chatting up just weren't nice people? I've met many men like that, hell I even dated an Irish man who thought my sister's boobs were something to talk about :rolleyes:. (We're married now with 15 small boobed children)
    However I still do not think that ALL Irish men are asses or pig ignorant (they're lovable rogues :p). Despite my bad experiences with SOME Irish men, I do not feel the need to loudly complain about ALL Irish men on a public forum.
    To those lads who complain about Irish women....you're going to be around for a long time, so you might as well realise now that not everyone is going to live up to your self serving standards. It's easier to realise that not everyone is 'perfect' (or whatever your version of perfect is!)

From a foreigners perspective, I find Irish women a little brittle, like the need management. Also they are either totally subservient or complete overbearing controlling pains in the asses.

I find the men well... not very woman friendly.

I think the reason you find Irish women brittle and Irish men not very woman friendly is because you make sweeping generalisations just like this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

You probably hate everybody.

That's a coincidence. Every time I see you posting on Boards, that's the general impression I get from you. I understand that you may not have met many friends over here but what do you expect carrying on the way you do? If you treat every man here like he's not "woman friendly" by proxy, than it's no wonder he's not friendly to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

How long ago were you in the US?

Nowadays with **** buddies, casual sex etc, etc its the last bastion of knowing where you stand. Bear in mind also that we have been living in a conservative age. The next election could change all this.

And its not "stuff" - its just meals really.

99-2000

Yeah by stuff I meant meals, bar tab, cinema. Bear in mind that I wasn't exactly rolling around in money at the time but I'd always put my hand in my pocket or offer to...that said, I was around college age as were any women I was seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

I have been out with French/Spanish/American/Polish/Australian girls and even the best looking ones have not been up themselves. Yet everytime I come back here it's always the same story. I find it easier chatting up foreign girls rather than Irish girls.
    Why is that? Does anyone feel the same or have the same experiences? I've dated some gorgeous foreign girls yet if those same girls were Irish they would not give me the time of day, never mind tell me be on my way.

Yep, same experiance. I've no gripes with Irish women now that Im no longer in the country, hell the Irish women I know now that I've left are top notch, not to mention the sad fact that we are talking in a very general sense here from one side of the fense when in fact there are many quality people out there. Thing is tho, in the three months I've left, I've been luckier in those three months then three years in Ireland and with altogether more positive experiances.

Thats a coincidence I find hard to discount......I blame the weather and the wealth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Karlusss wrote: »
    People misjudging their own attractiveness is always hilarious.

Leads to ridiculous clothing, impoliteness, being easy to make up for not actually being attractive, etc.

For both sexes.

They should learn to hug the wall and stare at the beer like the rest of us.

Haha +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Nowadays with **** buddies, casual sex etc, etc its the last bastion of knowing where you stand. Bear in mind also that we have been living in a conservative age. The next election could change all this.
    Maybe you might start to embrace communication as a method of knowing where you stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm an American woman, and when it comes to the point metrovelvet is making about cultural differences, I understand. Most of the American men I've dated will not only pay for my meals/movie tickets, they will not allow me to pay for my half, even when I insist. I always put my card on the table when it comes time to pay, but they won't have it. In fact the last time I was out with a group of guys, they asked if I wanted a drink, and I declined - they bought me one anyway, "just in case" I changed my mind. I don't carry cash with me, so I couldn't pay them back, and I haven't met up with them since.
    Moonbaby does have a point about where that comes from. Although it not only harkens back to prostitution in the old days, but also the fact that there just weren't that many women living out on the frontier, so the men had to compete.
    Now I can't really comment on whether Irish men or women are this or that. From the sounds of it, the OP is just making a mountain out of a molehill, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm an American woman, and when it comes to the point metrovelvet is making about cultural differences, I understand. Most of the American men I've dated will not only pay for my meals/movie tickets, they will not allow me to pay for my half, even when I insist. I always put my card on the table when it comes time to pay, but they won't have it. In fact the last time I was out with a group of guys, they asked if I wanted a drink, and I declined - they bought me one anyway, "just in case" I changed my mind. I don't carry cash with me, so I couldn't pay them back, and I haven't met up with them since.
    Moonbaby does have a point about where that comes from. Although it not only harkens back to prostitution in the old days, but also the fact that there just weren't that many women living out on the frontier, so the men had to compete.
    Now I can't really comment on whether Irish men or women are this or that. From the sounds of it, the OP is just making a mountain out of a molehill, though.
    I've been out with women who would not allow me to pay for them and would be insulted if i did. If you really wanted to pay your own way, then you would. It's not a case of men ''not allowing'' you to pay, it's you allowing a man to pay.

Regarding the drink, meh.. Happens everywhere, doesn't really come into this particular debate.

I've been out with women who would not allow me to pay for them and would be insulted if i did. If you really wanted to pay your own way, then you would. It's not a case of men ''not allowing'' you to pay, it's you allowing a man to pay.

Regarding the drink, meh.. Happens everywhere, doesn't really come into this particular debate.

I'm just sharing my experiences with the board. There's no need to talk down to me or to suggest that your view of how women and men should interact is any better than mine. It's just a different attitude toward dating. That's all I was pointing out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I'm about to embark on my annual trip round the pubs and clubs of the small town where I'm from. There's no better time or place to observe "stuck up Irish women who think they're hot"

Big fish in the small pond syndrome ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'm just sharing my experiences with the board. There's no need to talk down to me or to suggest that your view of how women and men should interact is any better than mine. It's just a different attitude toward dating. That's all I was pointing out.
    I wasn't speaking down to you or saying my views were better. I'm just saying no one forces you or any other woman to do anything you don't want to do. Paying your way, or not in this case, included.

Ive come to the conclusion AH has a large amount of socially retarded people. They especially gather in these sort of threads.

You can just see the angst dripping off these threads :)

I wasn't speaking down to you or saying my views were better. I'm just saying no one forces you or any other woman to do anything you don't want to do. Paying your way, or not in this case, included.

I've had men steal my card and not give it back until the waiter has taken the bill. Just as you've known women who are insulted when a man wants to pay their way, I've known men who are insulted when I offer to pay my way.
    The offer is there - if the man doesn't want to pay for my dinner, he should have the balls to say so. A few have, and they didn't get any less as a result. As for the others, if they like playing chivalrous, far be it for me to stand in their way.
    By the way, the worst offender in my experience was actually an Irish friend I went to grad school with. He insists on paying for everything every time we go out, and because he's married and we're not dating, I will not allow it. It's led to heated arguments.

I've had men steal my card and not give it back until the waiter has taken the bill. Just as you've known women who are insulted when a man wants to pay their way, I've known men who are insulted when I offer to pay my way.
    The offer is there - if the man doesn't want to pay for my dinner, he should have the balls to say so. A few have, and they didn't get any less as a result. As for the others, if they like playing chivalrous, far be it for me to stand in their way.
    By the way, the worst offender in my experience was actually an Irish friend I went to grad school with. He insists on paying for everything every time we go out, and because he's married and we're not dating, I will not allow it. It's led to heated arguments.

Like i said, you (women in general) are not forced into anything.

I'm not saying men paying for things is wrong, of course not! but at least admit it rather than say men ''don't allow'' you to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ronoc wrote: »
    Ive come to the conclusion AH has a large amount of socially retarded people. They especially gather in these sort of threads.

You can just see the angst dripping off these threads :)
    I completely agree.
    The only people who get where I'm coming from are my friends and only because they have known me for a long time.

To other people, I am socially retarded.

I tend to rub people up the wrong way, but not purposely.

That being said, if the attitudes toward women by some of the people here are true, then I'm probably far more socially advanced than quite a lot of the people here.

I like how you conveniently ignored the first part of my response...;)
    I understand where you're coming from, truly, and 'forced' probably wasn't the best word choice on my part. I'm just saying it's not always as easy to pay your own way when someone is insisting to pay for you. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to these things, so it's kind of whatever goes with me. He can pay or not - doesn't really matter. But most are just happy that I offer. My American girl friends are like, "What? You offer to pay?!" :eek:

I like how you conveniently ignored the first part of my response...;)
    I understand where you're coming from, truly, and 'forced' probably wasn't the best word choice on my part. I'm just saying it's not always as easy to pay your own way when someone is insisting to pay for you. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to these things, so it's kind of whatever goes with me. He can pay or not - doesn't really matter. But most are just happy that I offer. My American girl friends are like, "What? You offer to pay?!" :eek:
    Kool and the gang so. :)

Eglinton wrote: »
    Big fish in the small pond syndrome ;)

Ah I wouldn't say you're a big fish in a small pond, more a loudmouth who'll try to get off with one of the local girls tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

elambra wrote: »
    Now normally I wouldn't care about things like this but I was sober, and I am just home for christmas, having lived abroad for the last 3.5 years, and I find that, whilst the standard of Irish women is very very low compared to nearly every country I have visited, they are the most stuck up and just think they are god's gift to the world when in fact a large amount of them are just unattractive (physically and personally) moany holes obsessed with british celebrities and food.

Are you normally scuttered?
    If so, all these foreign women might well have been just as poor as you think the Irish ones are - you just had your beer goggles on.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

Irish people don't look after their bodies. That's why they're put to shame in the looks dept internationally.

I had a Dutch friend come over and comment that Ireland was the ugliest nation she'd encountered. I agree with her.

I had a Dutch friend come over and comment that Ireland was the ugliest nation she'd encountered. I agree with her.

That's ironic. The dutch have to be the ugliest looking nation on the face of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Irish people don't look after their bodies. That's why they're put to shame in the looks dept internationally.

Well I have to say that the Dutch have never been considered as a handsome race by any standard,often described as plain.

Pigman II wrote: »
    That's ironic. The dutch have to be the ugliest looking nation on the face of the earth.

Haha, as someone who lived there for a year I can tell you you're completely wrong. The cultural melting pot over there has produced some of the finest examples of how beautiful mixed raced people can be.

You're supposed to spread the genepool, because we never had an empire we never spread it.

Haha, as someone who lived there for a year I can tell you you're completely wrong. The cultural melting pot over there has produced some of the finest examples of how beautiful mixed raced people can be.

You're supposed to spread the genepool, because we never had an empire we never spread it.

You're not another one of those "ya got mix it all up to get results" guys are ya?

I know two blokes who subscribe to that theory. Coincidentally neither could pull a decent looking white burd.

Yes I am, and coincidentally I have a beautiful white girlfriend, not that skin colour has anything to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Haha, as someone who lived there for a year I can tell you you're completely wrong.

Haha. As someone who lived there for over 8 years, I can tell you you're completely wrong. Dutch people are very nice - but they're munters. You can tell your friend "Onnozel niet is". Although I suspect you're talking through your hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Laslo wrote: »
    Haha. As someone who lived there for over 8 years, I can tell you you're completely wrong. Dutch people are very nice - but they're munters. You can tell your friend "Onnozel niet is". Although I suspect you're talking through your hat.

Lived there for a year and have to agree - the Dutch are not the best lookers in the world so yer mans Dutch friend was talking through her van Gogh.
    I'd put them on the same level as us tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Since a lot of this seems to be in bars maybe thats your problem.
    as for
    "stand the two beside each other and see if you chose the Irish one"
    next time you're in the gym stand beside an eastern european bloke and figure out which one an Irish girl will choose.
    I'm sick to death of all this Irish/dublin women bashing all of it seem to be centered around meeting girls in pubs or clubs and thats the bloody problem, oh and the boorish grabby nature of some blokes in clubs make the nice girls wary of most blokes.
    As for the OP sounds like he was the rude one pushing his way by on the stairs, I still don't get how the 2 girls were rude to him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement