Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rememberance Poppy

Options
  • 01-11-2007 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

This time of year I wer a poppy. Im normally in the UK and pick it up there. As Im not going there this year. I've been trying to pick one up inDublin and cant find one. Does anyone know where I can pick one up.

I also know some Irish people who would wear a lilly [ I also wear a lilly] at easter refuse to wear the poppy. Would anyone here in boards refuse to wear a lilly

Would you wear a remeberance Poppy 222 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    40% 90 votes
    Couldnt care less
    59% 132 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Yeah Think I saw them in, whatsitcalled, that other country that raped our country and tried to cull us. Forget now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't wear lillies or poppies or wrist bands or little heart shaped badges or any of that crap.
    I really don't see the point in adorning myself with pointless paraphenalia.

Violence might have been neccessary but it shouldn't be something we are proud of. Well imo.
    No Lily for me.

Charities make up for so many of the failing in our healthcare system, that I think it is important to support and publise their cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Peared wrote: »
    Yeah Think I saw them in, whatsitcalled, that other country that raped our country and tried to cull us. Forget now.

Where abouts was that. France

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

starn wrote: »
    Where abouts was that. France
    Denmark possibly?

• Advertisement

Talkin bout poppies.

The clue was in the word "us".

This is Ireland, right?

Theres a reason you cant find poppies. A good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Irish people fought in the wars too, there's no reason not to wear a poppy... I'm just not arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I wore the poppy when I lived in Canada (they have the poppy at this time of year for their troops). Many Canadians died in Europe, especially in WWII when they choose to go to war (they effectively had to go to war as a Commonwealth member in WWI afaik, not that this diminishes their sacrifice during that war).

Anyway, I'm waffling. I'd wear the poppy for Canadian (and Irish) soldiers over here but the reception may not be the best, and fair enough on that score.

To the OP: If you want to contribute money to the British Legion in lieu of being able to buy a poppy, this link may be of assistance.

As to whether I'd wear an Easter lilly, I would have absolutely no problem with doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

It's a British custom not an Irish one. simple as for me. If i were in Britain i might wear one but i dont see the point here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I can't remember any of the people who died in previous wars for the life of me. Can someone remind me please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A suggestion maybe is for some new Irish way to remember those who were conned to serve in WWI on the pretext of fighting for freedom back then instead of importing a foreign custom to remember them as they served in a foreign uniform.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Talkin bout poppies.

This is Ireland, right?

It is a uniquely Irish thing to get 'offended' by anything that has the slightest hint of Britishness about it like the poppy. Even the Germans would struggle to be so insulted by such things. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Talkin bout poppies.

This is Ireland, right?

Oh do please tell us, I'm dying to hear it.

It's not about nationalities it is about the WAR DEAD, that is WAR DEAD of every country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Why is the thread title completely different to the poll question? To me, a poppy is to commerate WWI and WWII soldiers, while a lily is a symbol for quite a different matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

In Ireland we have a quaint ritual of wearing shamrock on St. Patrick's Day.
    Strangely enough we don't wear it for 3 weeks before nor do we coerce every guest on every TV show during that period to wear it. We have quite enough of our own little customs to be getting on with without worrying about those from foreign lands so I'll just pass on your poppy if you don't mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

As the gooner said, and from wiki:

"remembrance Day... is a day to commemorate the sacrifice of veterans and civilians in World War I, World War II, and other wars." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

So its all wars, not just in world war 1. in any case, a crapload of irish died in wwI . I just wouldnt wear one because i'm not into badges.

andrew wrote: »
    As the gooner said, and from wiki:

"remembrance Day... is a day to commemorate the sacrifice of veterans and civilians in World War I, World War II, and other wars." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

So its all wars, not just in world war 1. in any case, a crapload of irish died in wwI . I just wouldnt wear one because i'm not into badges.

the poppy though is in order to raise funds for the Royal British Legion. slight difference. fund rasiing tool for the benefit of those who served in the British forces. keyword: British. It might be worth noting most of us here: Irish.

i think why someone wouldn't wear it is understandable, just like i think why someone might is also. what difference does it make whether they do or not?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

probably should have read more than the first paragraph, damn wikipedia never conscise enough! :p

the poppy though is in order to raise funds for the Royal British Legion. slight difference. fund rasiing tool for the benefit of those who served in the British forces. keyword: British. It might be worth noting most of us here: Irish.

i think why someone wouldn't wear it is understandable, just like i think why someone might is also. what difference does it make whether they do or not?

I have no problem with your point above. My problem with it starts when you have the likes of the posters above being so anti English British etc and not actually knowing the history and the significance of the poppy.

Nationalism gone mad.

Anyways, my Great Grandfather served with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and he was killed on the first day of the Somme. I would wear a poppy. Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whats the lily at easter for? Excuse my non-christianness for not knowing....

You can get poppies here, at least in Dublin theres usually a few sellers.

• Advertisement

But during WWI we would have been part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deadprez

Jesus,I can't believe the ignorance of some people here. You would actually refuse to wear one on the grounds of our history with the UK? That's absurd and uneducated to say the least. over 100 men from cork and surrounding counties jumped from planes in Holland in a bid to assist the struggle against occupied Europe. Had the Nazi war machine been successful then Ireland would have been decimated and forced into death camps as the rest of Europe was. We are not of Arian origin, at least we don't look it, and would surely have suffered gravely as a result. The German government had a 1000 year plan to be the worlds dominating race, look what they did in 5 years. It makes me sick to think that people can actually have bitter thoughts about British rule in Ireland and thus attribute that to the war effort. It's a very sorry state of affairs and does not make me very proud to be Irish with such low life opinions. If there were poppies available in Ireland then I would be donning one for the heroes who fought and fell for our freedoms. This was not a "war on terror" it was a World War and could have led to dominance of Europe and possibly the world.Go read a book or two.

MYOB wrote: »
    Whats the lily at easter for? Excuse my non-christianness for not knowing....
    Theres nothing christian about it. Sinn Fein sell it to commerorate their "martyrs"

TheGooner wrote: »
    Oh do please tell us, I'm dying to hear it.

It's not about nationalities it is about the WAR DEAD, that is WAR DEAD of every country.

If you wanna slap a flower on you and stay silent for a minute every two weeks for everyone ever killed in the world ever in any war thats fine and dandy.

I'll respect the dead of my country who died fighting for my country.

I do not respect the forces of another country who killed so many in my country. Doesnt make a difference to me where they ended up dying.

And yes, some Irish fought for them, I wonder why that was.

deadprez wrote: »
    Jesus,I can't believe the ignorance of some people here. You would actually refuse to wear one on the grounds of our history with the UK? That's absurd and uneducated to say the least.

Very well said.

If you wanna slap a flower on you and stay silent for a minute every two weeks for everyone ever killed in the world ever in any war thats fine and dandy.

I'll respect the dead of my country who died fighting for my country.

I do not respect the forces of another country who killed so many in my country. Doesnt make a difference to me where they ended up dying.

And yes, some Irish fought for them, I wonder why that was.

What age are you?

deadprez wrote: »
    You would actually refuse to wear one on the grounds of our history with the UK? That's absurd and uneducated to say the least.

i think you're statement is just as absurd and uneducated. i know, like many, some people who were able to recall some of the actions of elements of the British forces in our country, for people like them to associate with something so inherently British would be quite difficult... why can you not understand that?

there have been many threads on this is before, why can't people just accept other people's stance on this issue and let it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Contrary to what one might expect, the Irish have a deep rooted aversion to wearing a poppy that has more in common with selfish hypocritical ignorance than any political differences which might commemorate war dead.

Amongst the political circles it must be acutely sensitive to have such a pathetic public display of incredulous insensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

The british legion support plenty of Irish people living in Ireland who served in those wars - that's where your money goes.

I sold poppies for the legion briefly a long time ago, and got nothing but good natured support from the people who saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres nothing christian about it. Sinn Fein sell it to commerorate their "martyrs"

Oh right. No wonder I've never worn one, then.

Advertisement