Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rememberance Poppy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I'd wear a poppy in memory of my grandfather who fought in WW1. He survived although wounded. The poppy reminds us of the sacrifice all those young men made. My grandfather was 19 when he joined up. We should remember the 50 thousand Irish who fought and died in that war never mind those Irish who joined up in 1939.

If it weren't for those soldiers we would be under a worse regime than the British-Nazi Germany. I for one am glad no one is likely to march me and mine into a gas chamber. If Germany had won that war be in no doubt that we would be a slave nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

TheGooner wrote: »
    It's not about nationalities it is about the WAR DEAD, that is WAR DEAD of every country.

No, its about the war dead of Britain and its empire.
    I vaguely recall asking this in a thread about this last year but is poppy wearing big in India, any of the UK's beknighted African ex-colonies?

...Why might that be so?

I can't see it catching on here for the same reason - at least not without a massive overhaul of Irish history education...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

This topic is also being discussed in the history/heritage thread -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055173773

I wear one in rememberance of my granduncle who died aged 21 after just qualifying as a engineer. He was in the RAF and my great grandparents were devastated as he was the only son out of a family of daughters.

I think its up to the individual whether she or he wears one - its a rememberance for those who died in past wars and its not just a 'British' phenomenon.

I agree with Lizzykins comments above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

OP you can get them in the British Embassy AFAIK. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Peared wrote: »

I'll respect the dead of my country who died fighting for my country.

I do not respect the forces of another country who killed so many in my country. Doesnt make a difference to me where they ended up dying.

Well said. Many forget about those who did serve in WW1, and the part time job they had over here a few year later when they wore black & tan uniforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

A complete waste of time .There is still war in the world. Poppies to remember the dead whilst certain countries in the world carry on adding to the war dead. Hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Id wear one.

I see it as a symbol of peace and rememberence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

deadprez wrote: »
    Jesus,I can't believe the ignorance of some people here. You would actually refuse to wear one on the grounds of our history with the UK? That's absurd and uneducated to say the least. over 100 men from cork and surrounding counties jumped from planes in Holland in a bid to assist the struggle against occupied Europe. Had the Nazi war machine been successful then Ireland would have been decimated and forced into death camps as the rest of Europe was. We are not of Arian origin, at least we don't look it, and would surely have suffered gravely as a result. The German government had a 1000 year plan to be the worlds dominating race, look what they did in 5 years. It makes me sick to think that people can actually have bitter thoughts about British rule in Ireland and thus attribute that to the war effort. It's a very sorry state of affairs and does not make me very proud to be Irish with such low life opinions. If there were poppies available in Ireland then I would be donning one for the heroes who fought and fell for our freedoms. This was not a "war on terror" it was a World War and could have led to dominance of Europe and possibly the world.Go read a book or two.

Pot, kettle, black?

You say read a book, how about read a book on what happened here under British rule for a start before blabbing on about something you cherish.

Do you really think those men from Cork jumped to fight for freedom when cork people were free during WWII?
    Hate to put a spanner in the works but they jumped for a better wage, thats what i think of it regarding my grandpa's experience of the whole WWII episode.

How do you know Hitler wanted to send the Irish to the death camps, first i heard of it. In case you'd forgotten, we were neutral in WWII and that was respected by the big powers back then.

I dunno about you on the Aryan thing , but i look German as much as Spanish or Italian for that matter, makes no difference to the situation.

My own grandad fought in WW1 on Redmonds con job, then fought in war of independence here after WW1, then fought for pro-treaty side in civil war and then fought in WWII as it was better pay than in poverty sticken Ireland at the time.
    Yes he was lucky to have survived all those conflicts, it was alcoholism that got him in the end.

As i said in post above, there should be an Irish way of remembering those who fought in foreign armies in various wars and its about time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't support the British military. The past is the past and all that but I think the Brits deserve to have the stick taken out of them for at least another 400 years because of the ol occupation thing.

It's a British symbol to me. We could get a nettle or even a dock leaf or someit then it'd be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deadprez

you don't get it do you? This isn't about governments or councils. It's not about Churchill and DeValera, it's about the young men and women who faced certain doom had they not stood against a regime hellbent on the death and enslavement of all but who they chose. Your not being patriotic,your being simple and ignorant at best.They were heroes and should be remembered for the great sacrifice they made and the steps they took to ensure that we can even be having this conversation.kids these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Yeah deadprez we're simple and ignorant. Sure jaysus we are a simple folk. Someone comes along and invades starves and murders us and destroys our culture and steals our country.

Now lets all have a moment of silence and wear a poppy for the self same armies of murderers cos someone else happened to kill them.

Live by it, die by it.

gurramok wrote: »
    How do you know Hitler wanted to send the Irish to the death camps, first i heard of it. In case you'd forgotten, we were neutral in WWII and that was respected by the big powers back then..

Ha ha ha ha ha ha funnyest post ever. Operation Grun anybody....... No we were not respected. Being Neutral means nothing except your just a pussy Nation that will put its head between its arse and hope for the best and that nobody hurts us..:rolleyes: For shame Ireland for shame.:mad:

Yeah deadprez we're simple and ignorant. Sure jaysus we are a simple folk. Someone comes along and invades starves and murders us and destroys our culture and steals our country.

Now lets all have a moment of silence and wear a poppy for the self same armies of murderers cos someone else happened to kill them.

:rolleyes:

Get over it. The had no problems hiring us when we went over looking for Jobs.. How about when we invaded and plundered and pillage the Brits way before they did it to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Ive recognised that to America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

The poppy honours the British Armed forces in all wars they fought in. Which let us not forget includes The black and tan war which they came over to "Put Paddy in his place" and slaughtered many Irish innocents. Hell would have to freeze over before I'd wear a poppy! No self-respecting Irishman should wear one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Am I considered Irish if my father was born in Donegal, lived there until he was 22 or so then moved to England then moved back at 32 and lived mostly in NI and my mother was born in NI and has always lived there. I feel a fresh thread breaking out. No one would care but it is something that has been bugging me badly over the past few years. :mad:

Sorry that was a bit off topic. AFAIK a helluva lot of Irish men fought and died in the Great War but did so in the hope that they would endear themselves to the ruling British classes who would in turn grant them Home Rule, which of course didn't happen.

NO DOGS, NO BLACKS, NO IRISH.

In the 1800's when Irish immigrants took up whole neighbourhoods in New York City, many business owners put up "No Irish need apply" signs up. Many business owners did not want Irish to apply, especially in New York City, because of the reputation they had as drinking loud mouths. Irish were also seen as dirty and disease ridden and it was a common belief that the potato blithe in the Great Potato Famine could be passed through humans and was a disease.

Also stories have been told that New York City newsboys often fought with each other and Italian and Jewish immigrants would scream "No Irish need apply" in teasing to the Irish boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Jigsaw wrote: »
    Am I considered Irish if my father was born in Donegal, lived there until he was 22 or so then moved to England then moved back at 32 and lived mostly in NI and my mother was born in NI and has always lived there. I feel a fresh thread breaking out. No one would care but it is something that has been bugging me badly over the past few years. :mad:

where were you born?

• Advertisement

where were you born?

I was born in a hospital in NI and have lived my whole life in NI apart from 3.5 yrs in Manchester. I consider myself an Irish Citizen. I know that "legally speaking" I am a UK citizen but I do not consider myself as such.

Anyway, I am thread hijacking here and that is not on. Although I might start another thread on this topic I have on my mind as it is bugging me recently.

Sorry Ziggy, sort of didn't mean to quote you there or at least did quote you but inaccurately. I'll say no more and perhaps start another thread another time as I am being off topic in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

deadprez wrote: »
    Jesus,I can't believe the ignorance of some people here. You would actually refuse to wear one on the grounds of our history with the UK? That's absurd and uneducated to say the least. over 100 men from cork and surrounding counties jumped from planes in Holland in a bid to assist the struggle against occupied Europe. Had the Nazi war machine been successful then Ireland would have been decimated and forced into death camps as the rest of Europe was. We are not of Arian origin, at least we don't look it, and would surely have suffered gravely as a result. The German government had a 1000 year plan to be the worlds dominating race, look what they did in 5 years. It makes me sick to think that people can actually have bitter thoughts about British rule in Ireland and thus attribute that to the war effort. It's a very sorry state of affairs and does not make me very proud to be Irish with such low life opinions. If there were poppies available in Ireland then I would be donning one for the heroes who fought and fell for our freedoms. This was not a "war on terror" it was a World War and could have led to dominance of Europe and possibly the world.Go read a book or two.

If the poppy was only about commemorating those that died defeating Nazism then I would have no problem wearing one.

But it is not it commemorates all those who died fighting for the British not just in the 2 world wars but in their various colonial endeavors as such I have not interest in commemorating those involved in terrorist actions in Ireland, Aden, Palestine the Suez ,Iraq,India, Afghanistan, Kenya , Malaya, Vietnam , Korea, and on and on nor the people who invented the concentration camp for that matter.

So for those reasons I would never wear a Poppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Live by it, die by it.

Simple and Ignorant. What you are is a Kn0bjockey. Ya tool

gurramok wrote: »
    Pot, kettle, black?

You say read a book, how about read a book on what happened here under British rule for a start before blabbing on about something you cherish.

How do you know Hitler wanted to send the Irish to the death camps, first i heard of it. In case you'd forgotten, we were neutral in WWII and that was respected by the big powers back then.

Your not serious with this right? Your not actually suggesting that due to our "neutrality" we would not be harmed by the Nazi war machine?I can't believe I'm reading this

I dunno about you on the Aryan thing , but i look German as much as Spanish or Italian for that matter, makes no difference to the situation.

Ok your REALLY need to take a history lesson. You do know why the jews and all other races were being lumped into death camps right? You do know about Lebensborn and what the ultimate goal of Himmlers SS was? The cranial measurements,the super race,the blonde haired and blue eyed future of the world?You do know about all these things don't you?I'm going to take a wild guess and say no.I suppose you deny the holocaust too then.Or should we forget all about that because we had no Irish in there either.
    My own grandad fought in WW1 on Redmonds con job, then fought in war of independence here after WW1, then fought for pro-treaty side in civil war and then fought in WWII as it was better pay than in poverty sticken Ireland at the time.
    Yes he was lucky to have survived all those conflicts, it was alcoholism that got him in the end.

No disrespect to your grandad,or to my great grandad for that matter,a man that spends his whole life fighting,will forget what he is fighting for,and if buying a 2 pound ****ing poppy from someone giving up some free time to sell them ensures that their memory doesn't fade away then I will ****ing do it.

My suggestion to you is research a little more than watching Saving Private Ryan or Michael Collins. Tell you what,ask your teacher history when your back to little old school on monday morning,dont forget your packed lunch and to clean behind your ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Jigsaw wrote: »
    I was born in a hospital in NI and have lived my whole life in NI apart from 3.5 yrs in Manchester. I consider myself an Irish Citizen. I know that "legally speaking" I am a UK citizen but I do not consider myself as such.

Anyway, I am thread hijacking here and that is not on. Although I might start another thread on this topic I have on my mind as it is bugging me recently.

If you were born in NI prior to the citizenship referendum then you are entitled to Irish citizenship as a birth right and even after that given that your Father was from Donegal and your Mother from NI you would still be entitled to Irish citizenship.

You are only legally speaking a UK citizen if you want to be one if you do not want UK citizenship you are quite entitled to claim your Irish citizenship.

• Advertisement

Id wear one.

I see it as a symbol of peace and rememberence.

perfect post!good man!

Advertisement