Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rememberance Poppy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

no I wouldn't wear a bloody poppy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

esel wrote: »
    You're letting something show with an idiotic comment like that, mate. I am Sparticus, btw.

ArthurF, a bit weird, no, to remember this fool in every post then? It took you a long time to explain the 'Y' - I'm not surprised, given the explanation. Also, I think it's revealing that you take the bother to do so. A foible, maybe?

[edit] And folks, it's remembrance, not rememberance or rememberence! [/edit]

You twit. I meant that he is constantly going on about his pride in being C o I as if any right-thinking person would care. Only a fool would say "I am Catholic" is such a manner as if to justify his arguement. His statement that he is C of I implies that a run-of-the-mill normal Irish person (born a Catholic) couldn't possibly understand his viewpoint.

He pretends to speak for C of I people as a whole. Cobblers!

I've never met a C o I person who banged on about their "fellow parishoners" or their "congregation". I don't believe a word this guy is saying. He's being contentious just for the sake of it. For example, imagine you came along and backed up your arguement by referencing the Priest's sermon from Sunday mass. Your man is living in the clouds! He's just trying to exert a tenuous cultural difference to other Irish people.

These are the ramblings of free-presbyterian pensioner, or some other lunatic fringe.

What a load of old cobblers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Yes i would wear a poppy of course!!

my great great grandfather was killed in WW1 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Presumably the British Soldiers who died in the Opium Wars are also remembered on Poppy Day.
    What a delicious irony...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

:confused:

I'm not taking this personal at all, if someone doesn't want to wear a Poppy then fine, I haven't said anyone should, all I have does is said why I wear one.

I do take exception at someone calling me and millions of my fellow countrymen embarrassing saddos though.

or is it, as usual perfectly ok to slag the Brits but don't dare criticise the Irish?

Yet you think nothing of thinking that way about us as a nation by virtue of your comment about Patrick's day.
    Tbh I dont give a fiddlers fcuk about the poppy, people can wear what they want to, it's a free country, at least have the decency to attack the poster, not the post, and not the nation.
    The "slag the brits" thing is your comment, not mine. I dont slag off nations as a whole, that would be racist of me.
    You don't seem to have a problem doing it tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

tallus wrote: »
    Yet you think nothing of thinking that way about us as a nation by virtue of your comment about Patrick's day.

retaliation my dear Tallus, I'm used to arguing with the wife:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

lol 'nuff said! I'm not touching that one lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭KlondikePaddy

tallus wrote: »
    Tbh I dont give a fiddlers fcuk about the poppy, people can wear what they want to, it's a free country, at least have the decency to attack the poster, not the post, and not the nation.
    The "slag the brits" thing is your comment, not mine. I dont slag off nations as a whole, that would be racist of me.
    You don't seem to have a problem doing it tho.

Aaah no give the man a break after all the Unionists are being overtaken in the Six Counties in terms of population if the census figures are anything to go by and in Britain itself, the census figures report an increasingly mixed population. The middle class white brit has had his day. I wonder what Paddy Powers is offering for an Pakistani Prime Minister in the near future. Let it be I say. Britain has annihilated itself. A Tory MP recently called for Britain to stop the influx of immigrants-too late Toryboy! Even Scotland is calling for full independence-there is nobody objecting except the Pimms and Strawberries Ladies Lawn Tennis Clubs in Britain.
    If the poppy boys want to wear the poppies let them after all with the increasing immigrant population in Europe and other factors, the British are a dying breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dave Roe

Hagar wrote: »
    No it isn't, it's a British tradition. Face facts.

Thousands of Irish people died in wars.

Thousands of Irish people have been remembering their lives and deaths since 1919.

Thats the facts.

Just because British/French/Austrialian/Canadian people do it too doesnt make it any less of an Irish tradition.

Chessplayer,
    I notice you didnt tell us any more about all the research you did into Church of Ireland rememberance day services in college. Why is that?

How about telling us about some more of these bizarre myths concerning the identity of southern protestants?

Is this one of them?
    "It's disingenuous to associate the rememberance ceremony with the Church of Ireland. Most of the Irish who went over saw themselves as the "Sons of Erin", and certainly held no allegiance to the symbols of the Union."

That sounds like you're saying that associating rememberance day with the Church of Ireland is also associating it with the symbols of the union?
    Because that would certainly be a bizarre myth - Prods=Unionist=Brits. Fortunately for the rest of us it's only in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

couldnt care less

[peasant]jebers that ArthurF fella would remind you why we threw those fockers out in the first place[/peasant]

hit me mod, I'll take one for the cause

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

and on a more subtle note, before I'm banned, it's a British tradition not an Irish one simple as. I like the idea of wearing a white poppy though, maybe next year someone can import a few boxes and start a new tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

ArthurF wrote: »
    This Sunday I shall be at 'St Patricks Cathedral Dublin' along wih a couple of thousand other folk, commerating the War Dead as we have done since 1918, President McAleese & Government representitives will attend as usual (some with Poppies-some without), Wreaths will be laid by the President, Union Jacks will be marched up the isle (Irish batillions only), old soldiers will be there, Representives from the Commonwealth will attend, the last post will be played & we will remember the dead.

A further Wreath laying ceremony will be held at the garden of Remembrance also on Sunday!

Needless to say, every Church of Ireland parish up & down the Country will also hold a Remembreace Service & have a minutes silence to remember those who perished in the Great War, World War II & all other campaigns where Irish soldiers fought & died .........................
    Well that's fantastic for anybody in the Anglican Communion, I doubt there'll be any prayers or readings by any Catholic Priest or Jewish Rabbi?? Ireland's day of commemoration which is a multi faith service by the way is on July 11. I'm not going to bother with any other country's day of remembrance because my country has it's own one and everyone should do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

Dave Roe wrote: »
    Thousands of Irish people died in wars.

Thousands of Irish people have been remembering their lives and deaths since 1919.

Thats the facts.

Just because British/French/Austrialian/Canadian people do it too doesnt make it any less of an Irish tradition.

It's not an Irish tradition to do it on November 11, that is British!!
    We do remember the lives and deaths of Irish soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It is a tradition. It's an Irish tradition. It's just not your traditon.

That must be why the poppies are sold by the Irish Legion.
    Oh wait, no they're not, they're sold by the British Legion.
    I wonder if that is in any way significant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Aaah no give the man a break after all the Unionists are being overtaken in the Six Counties in terms of population if the census figures are anything to go by and in Britain itself, the census figures report an increasingly mixed population. The middle class white brit has had his day. I wonder what Paddy Powers is offering for an Pakistani Prime Minister in the near future. Let it be I say. Britain has annihilated itself. A Tory MP recently called for Britain to stop the influx of immigrants-too late Toryboy! Even Scotland is calling for full independence-there is nobody objecting except the Pimms and Strawberries Ladies Lawn Tennis Clubs in Britain.
    If the poppy boys want to wear the poppies let them after all with the increasing immigrant population in Europe and other factors, the British are a dying breed.

That has nothing to do with Britain, that is the story of Europe. Look around Dublin, the Irish are becoming the minority and the best and most talented of the people are in New York or London. I'm not sure when we will have a Chinese or Nigerian in charge here, but lets face it, they couldn't be any less dishonest than the shower that are here now.

so, er what's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

You twit. I meant that he is constantly going on about his pride in being C o I as if any right-thinking person would care. Only a fool would say "I am Catholic" is such a manner as if to justify his arguement. His statement that he is C of I implies that a run-of-the-mill normal Irish person (born a Catholic) couldn't possibly understand his viewpoint.

You sparked-off this C of I debate (Chessplayer) because You stated that Church of Ireland Parishes did Not hold Remembrance Day Services on the 11th!

I then countered by saying that we in the C of I do indeed hold Remembrance Services on the 11th, and that I know this because "I am Church of Ireland" ......... so maybe we can leave the C of I quarrell for now Chessplayer, and get back to remembering those Thirty Five Thousand Irish Men who died in the Great War & World War II.

Ironically, far more Roman Catholics from the South died in the PoppY fields of Flanders, but sadly they are not remembered in Mass on the 11th (or are they)? not that you care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Just because you wear a poppy doesn't mean you're a west brit or any less irish for doing it...you're just remembering the men & women in the allied forces who laid down they're lives in the two world wars.

Lets not forget thousands of irish catholics from the south died in both world wars, it doesn't matter which army they were fighting in...fact is ..they were fighting the evil forces of facism in europe, and they should be remembered & honoured for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

aww hell no to the poppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I bought my poppy yesterday and will wear it on sunday at a rememberence memorial service in Lancashire ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Hagar wrote: »
    That must be why the poppies are sold by the Irish Legion.
    Oh wait, no they're not, they're sold by the British Legion.
    I wonder if that is in any way significant?

Maybe it's time that they started selling poppies then and support their ex-servicemen/families etc.?

The poppy has/is being seen more often and is widely respected as a symbol of rememberance, it's only being seen as a symbol of past oppressors by people who can't or won't let go of the past

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 yakyak

Symbolism has been the common denominator throughout history as the firelighter for numerous conflicts. Ireland is no different, look at where it got us here, symbolism was responsible for thousands of deaths in the six counties and has left a legacy throughout this country of hatred and suspicion. On the symbolism of the poppy, i do not think it appropriate to be worn here, let us not forget how churchill offered Dev' the 6 counties in return for sending boatloads of paddies out to france !!!!! Not for me thanks, but i respect it for the reasons it is worn by genuine people for genuine reasons. Fair enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

yakyak wrote: »
    Symbolism has been the common denominator throughout history as the firelighter for numerous conflicts. Ireland is no different, look at where it got us here, symbolism was responsible for thousands of deaths in the six counties and has left a legacy throughout this country of hatred and suspicion. On the symbolism of the poppy, i do not think it appropriate to be worn here, let us not forget how churchill offered Dev' the 6 counties in return for sending boatloads of paddies out to france !!!!! Not for me thanks, but i respect it for the reasons it is worn by genuine people for genuine reasons. Fair enough ?

Fair snuff, but as I say, its not called the British Rememberance Poppy in Canada, France etc. SO why not have an Irish Rememberance Poppy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It often irritates me that the British go on about 'winning the war' - they never mention, of course, that it was the Americans that saved Europe and them. How come we rarely hear about the American sacrifice for Europe in Britain?

BTW Churchill was an anti-Irish **** just for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

philstar wrote: »
    Just because you wear a poppy doesn't mean you're a west brit or any less irish for doing it...you're just remembering the men & women in the allied forces who laid down they're lives in the two world wars.

Lets not forget thousands of irish catholics from the south died in both world wars, it doesn't matter which army they were fighting in...fact is ..they were fighting the evil forces of facism in europe, and they should be remembered & honoured for that.

Unfortunately, as harsh as this may seem, but the wearing of a poppy, or should I say poppY, DOES make you a West-Brit.

If you can't pay tribute with respect to the sovereignty of Ireland, then don't pay tribute at all.

Certainly won't see the chessplayer wearing a sissy's poppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I wear a poppy but wouldn't wear a lilly at Easter. Why commenorate a group who thought it fair to attack a country that was in the middle of one of the bloodiest wars in the 20th century? I also had family who died who both World Wars although they were on the losing side but I still think they should be remembered like anyone who was killed in a war.

It would be nice if Irish people could commeorate all the war dead from all over the world rather then just a few that were killed in a really small incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

darkman2 wrote: »
    It often irritates me that the British go on about 'winning the war' - they never mention, of course, that it was the Americans that saved Europe and them. How come we rarely hear about the American sacrifice for Europe in Britain?

BTW Churchill was an anti-Irish **** just for the record.

you forgot Russia. they were more important to the winning of the war in Europe than the Americans imo. them and Hitler's overall incompetence are always overlooked. Hitler could probably have walked WWII if he knew what he was doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Unfortunately, as harsh as this may seem, but the wearing of a poppy, or should I say poppY, DOES make you a West-Brit.

If you can't pay tribute with respect to the sovereignty of Ireland, then don't pay tribute at all.

Certainly won't see the chessplayer wearing a sissy's poppy.

This is meant to be a serious topic to Remember the hundreds of thousands of men who fought in the two World Wars (35K+ Irish inc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Lux23 wrote: »
    I wear a poppy but wouldn't wear a lilly at Easter. Why commenorate a group who thought it fair to attack a country that was in the middle of one of the bloodiest wars in the 20th century?

Is violence ever 'fair'? Or is there a certain etiquette that comes with it?
    It would be nice if Irish people could commeorate all the war dead from all over the world rather then just a few that were killed in a really small incident.

It would be even nicer if everyone commemorated all those killed in all wars all over the world at any time than WWI alone, significant an 'incident' as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I
    t would be even nicer if everyone commemorated all those killed in all wars all over the world at any time than WWI alone, significant an 'incident' as it was.

That is what wearing the poppy is all about now , remembering those who died in all wars , not just WW1 and 2, .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Um no. That's what the white poppy is about;

http://www.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/index.html

What are the red poppies about?

1. Commemortaing the dead british soldiers (granted, this differs where it's worn, but dead soldiers from WW1 is the common theme internationally.)

2. Making money for financial assistance of british war veterans (when the poppies are manufactured by the British Legion) which the government should be supplying for war veterans and the families of those who 'gave their lives for freedom' instead of a dodgy organisation (dodgy because of a scandal a few years back where it was found out that they weren't giving as much money to irish soldiers who served in the british army as british.)

Advertisement