Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 trackrunner

The stop line is before the turn onto cornmarket street so to make the turn you must cross the stop line and enter the junction - it's illegal to do this unless your light is green. To me it is pretty black and white but I understand where your view point comes from.

The line is close to the turn and this is what I think convinces drivers it is ok to make the turn - it's ok if you are only slightly breaking a rule of the road. It's the same mentality why a lot of drivers break red lights - the lights have just turned red so it is fine. And then they see other drivers doing the exact same thing so they validate that their decision to it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If the lights are red and there is no green filter you must not pass the stop line. That is the law. If you had a green filter you could of course go but there isn't one here so the light that applies here is the red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

S.I. 182/1997 might settle the debate: https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

People taking the right turn from York Hill onto summer hill north is doing my head in, deliberately turning right at St Luke's to go down Wellington road and avoid the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

the stop line at the corn market junction is exactly at the halfway point to turn right.

I do turn right all the time on red here, and often see the guards do the same. It's not cut and dry as I don't pass the stop line to make that turn right. I turn right before I hit the stop line.

Normal rules apply though that cars oncoming including those turning left from corn market street have right of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This stop line? For clarity, the advance stop line, not the line marking the top of the bike box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Thanks for that, I am not sure what to do now! I mean for over a decade I and many turn right when it's red, including the gardai.

You are allowed to turn right there the road markings including a right turn arrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That's not the question. The question is can you turn right if the lights are red. I say you can't, loads do anyway.

Not on the red nose wait for the green.

• Advertisement

Pedestrian wanting to cross on the cornmarket street side towards the Bridewell would actually have no safe time to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭whatever76

don't get me started on that one , drives me mad and the looks I get when I try to turn up as if I am at fault. They need to put in those traffic sticks or something in the middle of road to stop people doing it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Right, so what's the story with this monumental BS? Clearly it's a trend, nothing to do with accident statistics in this spot. 3 buses passed when I was standing there (Cobh connect empty, as usual), all of them big thick black clouds behind them when driving over this obstacle. So from now on basically thousands of vehicles everyday will be releasing more exhaust gases for what exact reason? Is it safety? What is the danger here? I don't know, it's kinda funny and sad at the same time. They got the priorities wrong, other end of harbour view road needs resurfacing and they focus on this instead. Some spas.

Btw. when was this resurfaced? 4 years ago? That's some really bad mileage tbh. Patches coming soon. I don't know, if I was in city council I would do some research to see which type of roads last 10 years and maybe pay for those?

This bus is only 5 minutes late, that's impressive.

I feel so sorry for anyone who uses public transport and have no car. Their life sucks so bad. Every time I'm passing a bus stop, I'm thinking.. poor bastards. I genuinely feel sorry for them.

I noticed some new bus shelters with benches built here and there. Well only 50 years late but ok. It's handy when you're waiting for a bus and it's not coming, 10 minutes late.. 20 minutes late still nothing. You can sit down and sit under a roof if it's raining.

So clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That has to be deliberate trolling, just trying to get a reaction. No one is that much of a carwanker. I suggest that if these posts aren't deleted for inappropriate language (I have reported), we just completely ignore them. I'm sure not getting a reaction will bore her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

DMURS, latest road design manuals and the Harbour View Road scheme are the reasons for that raised table. They're enforcing drivers to at least slow down, where they're sometimes tempted to just blaze through a crossing. There's a big problem with drivers just ignoring red lights: phone usage and lack of enforcement.

The Cobh Connect service is very well subscribed, I know lots of people who use it daily: looks like a great success so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Oh hey look everyone, Diabhalta is back in the thread.

The poster who has previously said that Cork is too hilly to cycle, that they will never get a bus, that there's nowhere in town to sit with an ice-cream, and (my personal favourite) that cars aren't the problem in Cork - pedestrians and cyclists are.

Just so everyone knows who they're dealing with.

Post edited by Schorpio on

Blaze through, with a roundabout right up there meters away? Is 30-40 km/h blaze through do you think? If a pedestrian wants to cross the road they can simply press the button and wait. Passing cars have no effect whatsoever on them. So we're gonna just ignore the negative environmental impact? How many people cross this road here in average in one hour? This raised pedestrian crossing is stupid. That's what it is.

Problem with pedestrians is that they press the button when there's no cars around, look around and immediately cross the road and then bunch of cars seconds later wait at a red light for no reason. It's a regular occurrence. I have no tolerance for stupidity, I just ignore the red light and keep driving (while slowing down of course). I don't want it to be too obvious. It just shows how stupid people are really.

I see Cobh connect on cathedral road on regular basis completely empty. It almost always leaves Apple empty too. It's a waste of diesel that's what it is. Plus, the bus is too big, same as Apple bus. It's an inter city bus, not a city bus.

You have no tolerance for stupidity but drive through red lights? Trollers be trolling…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

On a related note, there's some nice stuff going through public consultation the last year or two (and more in the next few months). City Council have been a bit of a laggard in the past, but look at how much they're doing now! I'm using my car less and using sustainable transport more because it's cheap and convenient. Never thought we'd get here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

I know I should ignore you but…

You say that it has “nothing to do with accident statistics in this spot”. So you favour a reactive approach to pedestrian safety, i.e. the authority shouldn’t proactively make the roads safer but should instead wait until there’s a good few deaths or life-changing injuries?

You ask what the danger is here. Have a quick chat with your favourite LLM and you’ll see that, worldwide, scores if not hundreds of pedestrians are killed every year when using a crossing on their green light. The most common causes are driver inattention or inebriation. Pedestrian-safe infrastructure mitigates dangers like this by forcing vehicles to slow down. Every 5kph shaved off speed dramatically reduces the risk of serious injury or death.

And in the case of this particular location, I would suggest that the presence of the bus stop immediately before the crossing means that the light on that side of the road is going to be obscured when a bus has stopped, i.e. increased risk precisely when people who have just got off the bus are wanting to cross the road.

A car crashed into Parliament Bridge last night, knocking a section of the wall into the river! FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

That really annoys me Mostly beemers, benzs and SUVs

Once every blue moon there's a guard there to tell them to turn left.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Was that in Douglas ? And in the paper?

Cork drivers are really really nice in comparison to Dublin drivers. Even I've stopped being an a**ehole when driving and let people out, wave to say thanks and that.

Took me a few months though!

Just had a look as I was nearby. It's really weird, there's no skid marks that I can see! The bang was heard in Fred Zepplins.

Advertisement